Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Start Game Process.

Comments

• Options
    eknight78eknight78 Posts: 44 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I have only downloaded my two, Base Game & Late Night, from Amazon.com
  • Options
    TatyionaTatyiona Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2012
    I got it to work by disconnecting the Internet. Now I'm more concerned that my game is connecting to ea before it starts. Talk about an invasion of privacy.
  • Options
    roseenglishroseenglish Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2012
    What annoys me is I have played online games and worlds for years.
    This is not an online game. It does not depend on servers or people to manage servers 24/7

Why should a game that is not internet dependent and yet this sudden issue can only come from something external "online" or else we would not all be experiencing the same error at the exact same time.

Something, and I dont know what, is being fed down the internet to our games causing mac based games to not load.

I am no techy but that is the only thing that makes sense to me and if so, I wish they wouldn't send signals or checks etc for a computer game that does not require "real time" online connection.
  • Options
    MomoStarkMomoStark Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2012
    Devin71189 wrote:
    Same thing happened to me. The game worked fine last night, and then today i got the same error message. The mac update has nothing to do with it because my game didnt work before or after i updated this morning. When i hit play, 4 icons pop up on my dock and then 4 error messages and then everything shuts down. Cant ignore the message either.

Me too! Except, I've had like 3 of them pop up. This isn't the only time that this has happened to me before actually. It did this to me at least 3 times when Supernatural actually came out. It was so frustrating, EA is lucky that I am still playing the Sims. They need to get their **** together. It was working fine this weekend, and now nothing. I keep on clicking it to see if anything will happen, maybe somehow magically it will start up, but it hasn't.
  • Options
    roseenglishroseenglish Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2012
    Tatyiona wrote:
    I got it to work by disconnecting the Internet. Now I'm more concerned that my game is connecting to ea before it starts. Talk about an invasion of privacy.

Wow I just read your post after I submitted my own.

So I am right, this has something to do with a signal or check from their servers to our games.

I dont "log in" when I play for a reason. It seems it makes no difference they're "connecting" to our computers ID numbers perhaps for authentication purposes.

I wondered if that may have been the issue earlier tonight so I registered my recent EP with them but nope. Still borked.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Tatyiona wrote:

Oh my goodness your right!! I turned off my internet and it started up just like normal...that is too crazy!
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2012
    So it is server connected as I thought.

Unfortunately this will probably only work for people with DVD versions (at least the last EP would probably need to be DVD).

What is curious is that I can't find a single german post of this issue at least not a newer post (ok, it is 1 am but still).

Wonder if it's a local thing so maybe if you're NOT from the USA/Canada, post that too.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    TatyionaTatyiona Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2012
    Yeah I don't sign in to play either, I'm funny about my privacy. Now I'm really borthered because not only is the game communicating with EA but apparently they have the power to keep it from running.
  • Options
    LizardloveLizardlove Posts: 20
    edited September 2012
    Hey everyone,

I saw that everyone had this problem with the error message and the failure for the game to start up. Well my game starts up, even though I have Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, and the new Supernatural. And of course I also use these on my macbook pro.

Now the strange thing is that I am able to play the game, without logging in, but frequently the game will *flash* or make strange colorations appear on the screen. Of course I didn't want my computer to crash and have something horrible to happen, because I have too many important things to do on my computer to loose it all for the sake of playing a glitchy game.

But after I've exited the game, that same box you all have referred too, which says Game Process Can Not Start, or something like that.

Also due to this new problem with the glitchy graphics, strange colors, and of course that error box, my normally fast and efficient computer has had internet trouble and trouble with other applications after this new error occurred.

I am actually very concerned that it may damage my other normal-working applications on my computer, however I am not yet willing to uninstall the sims completely.

Hopefully EA, or someone, will fix it soon.

Don't know if any of you are having the problem of glitchy graphics with the subsequent error box only AFTER you have saved and/or quitted the game.

• Options
    CookiedohCookiedoh Posts: 8 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Tatyiona wrote:

Yeah, got mine to work that way too just now.

• Options
    ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited September 2012
    There is definitely some server/online issue going on here. Like I mentioned earlier I'm in the process of re-installing. I'm re-installing each EP/SP in order of release and patching after each install. I run in to an issue with WA, which is the first EP - after installing and trying to launch I get a message that there is an update as expected. I click OK and I get the "an unknown error occurred" message". After that I can't launch WA again, so I try launching the base game instead and it tells me that there is a WA update again. I click yes to install the update but nothing happens. I do this dance a few times before uninstalling WA and re-installing it, then finally after a few more tries the dang update installs. Oh, and I also got the lovely "the game process could not be started" once during all of this. It's gonna be a long night if this is going to happen with each EP installation... :?
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm definitely off to bed now.

Good luck.

I made a blog post which I hopefully can put a fixed icon on tomorrow.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    hexasushexasus Posts: 11
    edited September 2012
    I stopped my wifi connection and my game works now. I don't like the fact that EA have a semblance of control over my game, that's an infringement on my privacy. I won't be playing logged on anymore.
  • Options
    kjbennettkjbennett Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2012
    So I turned off my Wi Fi and the game started normally, so we know it's a server error on the EA side.
    BUT - the fact that this "online" launcher issue can stop your game from loading locally means it's pretty invasive. What other information is EA pulling from our systems while we play? :shock:

I've got a feeling EA didn't want us to know how invasive this software is. :oops: The information coming out of EA for the next few days should be very interesting.
  • Options
    yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited September 2012
    kjbennett wrote:
    So I turned off my Wi Fi and the game started normally, so we know it's a server error on the EA side.
    BUT - the fact that this "online" launcher issue can stop your game from loading locally means it's pretty invasive. What other information is EA pulling from our systems while we play? :shock:

I've got a feeling EA didn't want us to know how invasive this software is. :oops: The information coming out of EA for the next few days should be very interesting.
    I tried with Internet off, but it doesn't works! Crin you're right it's only working for DVD version. I get this: the game must connect to Internet to check who is the owner. check your connection and try again. So I'm in the infinite loose loop, it does not work because we MUST be connected to Internet AND your sever links, when the game launching, are NOT working! :(
    So EA?? I'm sure you have an idea, you know how much we spend for this game? Why can't we play with Internet off, with valid games, legally purchased and registered!? :? :roll:
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    yoda65 wrote:
    kjbennett wrote:

I tried with Internet off, but it doesn't works! Crin you're right it's only working for DVD version. I get this: the game must connect to Internet to check who is the owner. check your connection and try again. So I'm in the infinite loose loop, it does not work because we MUST be connected to Internet AND your sever links, when the game launching, are NOT working! :(
    So EA?? I'm sure you have an idea, you know how much we spend for this game? Why can't we play with Internet off, with valid games, legally purchased and registered!? :? :roll:

When you say DVD Version, do you mean the store bought disc? Because mine was downloaded from the internet and is working when I disconnect my internet...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    There is definitely some server/online issue going on here. Like I mentioned earlier I'm in the process of re-installing. I'm re-installing each EP/SP in order of release and patching after each install. I run in to an issue with WA, which is the first EP - after installing and trying to launch I get a message that there is an update as expected. I click OK and I get the "an unknown error occurred" message". After that I can't launch WA again, so I try launching the base game instead and it tells me that there is a WA update again. I click yes to install the update but nothing happens. I do this dance a few times before uninstalling WA and re-installing it, then finally after a few more tries the dang update installs. Oh, and I also got the lovely "the game process could not be started" once during all of this. It's gonna be a long night if this is going to happen with each EP installation... :?
    What a pain! I can't imagine reinstalling ALL again, good luck Chemicalwibs! :cry:
    it seems logical that nothing works, even reinstalling all, if the game can not do anything without communicating with the server, reinstall games or Store items, playing … Nothing works without the authorization server must send normally.
    this is not a step forward for us players on Mac but a punishment! :evil:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    yoda65 wrote:
    What a pain! I can't imagine reinstalling ALL again, good luck Chemicalwibs! :cry:
    it seems logical that nothing works, even reinstalling all, if the game can not do anything without communicating with the server, reinstall games or Store items, playing … Nothing works without the authorization server must send normally.
    this is not a step forward for us players on Mac but a punishment! :evil:

Yes, and of course my drive wouldn't accept the only EP have on disc anymore, so I just bought the DD of Ambitions as well and now I'm waiting for that to finish downloading. When that's done I think I'll call it a night and continue this tomorrow. And maybe this issue will be fixed then. Though I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    eknight78 wrote:
    When you say DVD Version, do you mean the store bought disc? Because mine was downloaded from the internet and is working when I disconnect my internet...
    yes I mean physical DVD
    So it's working for you? May be you have old good preferences files, log files?
    Problems starting today when I tried to install again one of my store set, then I tried with a new Sims3 folder… unable to launch the game.
  • Options
    schmookerschmooker Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I have the downloaded version of Supernatural and was able to start the game after disabling my wifi. After the game loaded I was able to restart wifi. Thanks for this thread, it was very helpful -- I'm glad I read this before reinstalling everything!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    yoda65 wrote:
    eknight78 wrote:
    yes I mean physical DVD
    So it's working for you? May be you have old good preferences files, log files?
    Problems starting today when I tried to install again one of my store set, then I tried with a new Sims3 folder… unable to launch the game.

I have no idea what I have! LOL! I am so not computer savvy..the terms "preference files" and "log files" are like greek to me! It was the most difficult thing ever to figure out how to install the 2 mods I have. So I guess my files could be okay? I just tried turning of my wi-fi and loading the game and it worked! So, I'm going to do it again now and play for a while to make sure all is working properly. But it definitely loaded after wi-fi was turned off.

I hope that you can come to some resolution as well! I hope we all can! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yes, and of course my drive wouldn't accept the only EP have on disc anymore, so I just bought the DD of Ambitions as well and now I'm waiting for that to finish downloading. When that's done I think I'll call it a night and continue this tomorrow. And maybe this issue will be fixed then. Though I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure!
    :mrgreen: exactly why I don't want to do all process again! Last time was a pain to use my CD drive to reinstall my old EP and SP. :lol: you use radical solutions! I will go to bed soon and check tomorrow too if there is something new. Good luck, have a good night! ^^
  • Options
    mb10mb10 Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    420Sim wrote:
    Over the weekend I updated my iMac to 10.8.2 today is the first day since the update that I have tried to play the game. If it starts I only get to the Main Menu. Get the Disc Auth Error message. But before the starts there is an error message That The Game Process Can Not Be Started. It played fine until the Mac OS 10.8.2 update.

Has anyone else run into this issue yet?

I'm having the same problem. Can't get past the Main Menu. Grrrr.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    yoda65 wrote:
    :mrgreen: exactly why I don't want to do all process again! Last time was a pain to use my CD drive to reinstall my old EP and SP. :lol: you use radical solutions! I will go to bed soon and check tomorrow too if there is something new. Good luck, have a good night! ^^

Thanks and good night to you too :D I'll be sure to save all the DMG files to a flash drive this time (I thought I did last time, but noooo...), so that I don't have to spend hours downloading them again next time - yes, I am confident there will be a next time!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    eknight78 wrote:

I have no idea what I have! LOL! I am so not computer savvy..the terms "preference files" and "log files" are like greek to me! It was the most difficult thing ever to figure out how to install the 2 mods I have. So I guess my files could be okay? I just tried turning of my wi-fi and loading the game and it worked! So, I'm going to do it again now and play for a while to make sure all is working properly. But it definitely loaded after wi-fi was turned off.

I hope that you can come to some resolution as well! I hope we all can! :thumbup:
    :lol: I am so not English speaking savvy. :mrgreen: Thank you :D Cool that Internet connection off works for some, hope we will be more enlightened about this issue soon?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top