Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Huntsborough, A Ceremonial Town in the Foothills (Final Version Out)

Comments

• Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 2014
    Noirran, can you please show me a picture or tell me where precisely on the lot the clerk happened to get stuck.

I looked up the bookshelf problem online. Apparently, there are only two bookshelves that spawn skill books on community lots, both of which look terrible in this town's library. I placed down one Penningway bookshelf in the room with the computers, so that should probably add some skill books.
  • Options
    NoirranNoirran Posts: 393 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hey Quail,
    Yea the bookshelves are pretty ugly. The Book Corral, Tower of Much Knowledge, Penningway, and Pallas will have all the skill books if put on a community lot. The Pallas is a store item, the rest are base game. I put a Book Corral in the Grey Meadow library and it didn't look too bad but I think a Penningway with the computers is perfect.

An NPC family had moved into Uphill so I switched to that family, deleted the hidden room markers and had them walk in and out of those houses. They did it no problem. The NPC Consignment Clerk had just sat there inside the door and wouldn't go out. I think maybe she was just dim. It wasn't the Consignment store because the new clerk went there right away from where ever he spawned so I'd chalk it up to more buggy craziness.

I'm finding when I move a family into an apartment the game will charge me rent for the entire building, not just my apartment. It's doing that in all games all towns though so I think this is an EA bug.

The dive lots. Gah. My sim can not go to them by either clicking the map tag or choosing "go there" "boat there". I have to have the boat take her to just outside the dive lot then she has to swim there. Once she gets there, she is able to scuba dive no problem. She's explored the caves without getting reset too, which is a first. This has happened when trying to go to every dive lot. I'm going to buy her a jet ski and see if she can go there using her own boat.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hey Quailhogs - I have been playing in here about a sims week (plus) and yeah the water taxi and bigger motor boat is just a no go - no matter where I have my sim get on the water taxi it just sits there and doesn't even try to go anywhere. I have gotten it to move a tiny bit at a time until it finally reaches a point it will just freeze on me - even my sims does not show in it anymore and I have to quit without saving. But weird as it sounds - start up the game again - use a wind surfer or sail boat or small motor boat and my sim has no issues.

I was hoping to get off the boat and dive below to see if I could see anything impeding the big boats but that just won't happen. The bigger boats will not go near the dive spots - and no where else do they let us go down in the water. So I am just at a loss on that.

But other than the water issues I have not seen any of the other problems others have posted. I had no problems with the elevators on either side of the hospital/science Center and have gone there many times trying the different elevators. So I am wondering if that stuck issue was just the EA programmed one (to be funny I guess) and that simmers mod of course saw it as a stuck issue. it always does - and one of the reasons I don't like testing with Overwatch or error trap. But with no mods - all the elevators are performing just fine, as is all the rabbitholes and community lots that I have tested on the land anyway - not having much luck getting to the junk yard, the islands and such with the big boats. Also have not tested a houseboat yet - I will try that next - but I find myself doubting that is going to be very positive if the water taxi's aren't working.

But oddly plenty of sims were out using all the smaller boats all around my sim and there were going safely to a couple of the islands. I did not see any go to the junk yard one though.

Anyway without looking under that boat which is even tricky in a dive spot - it takes a few tries usually - I have no idea on how I am going to figure out why the water taxi and big motorboat will not go anywhere. They are definitely causing issues though - as I said after a good 5 tries at moving the boats a bit at a time - then my sim just vanishes and the taxi seems permanently frozen. The only option I get is just to quit - but at least I get an option. Sorry I have no answer to the why this is happening. Visually things look fine unless it is just not deep enough or something. As I said I will try the smallest of the EA houseboats and see what happens tomorrow.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited May 2014
    I haven't been in the water yet, my first play was in town and is quite absorbing. It runs as well as your other worlds, as it is far less condensed. The water and terrain coloring is gorgeous, by the way. Played several hours in the center of the world and no issues presented. Next foray, boating and dive lots. If I learn anything relevant, I will add to the thread.

From what I understand re bookcases, any custom book groups seem to only work out in save games, not that I would encourage such; putting every layer together as you do is quite astonishing.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    By the way, I still want families.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited May 2014
    :mrgreen: Thanks for the beta Quail! Just found out you've released it via your tumblr.

Will dl ASAP. Yay!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Did anyone find anything new?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    On land i have no issues at all - but on water forget it if a sim uses a taxi, the big motor boat or tries to go places in a houseboat the water routing is just useless. All the smaller water vehicles seem to work fine - my sim has a small motor boat, a sail boat, a jet ski, and a wind surfer and seems to go about things well - but it is a pain to keep them from using the darn water taxi which just sits there no matter where they get on it. They also will not go to the island where the junk yard is as when I click go here they just sit on what ever water vehicle they are on and just won't go. But on land I have not had a single problem so far. I was on week 4 day 5 last I checked. In my game that is the first week of fall and everything looks gorgeous. As I have my seasons set at 28 days.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I am almost positive this routing issue has to do with the dive lots. I just tried to go to Garbage Island with Gareth, and he was able to travel there, but he took the long way there, under a bridge, in order to avoid the dive lot. He used a water taxi, so I honestly do not know what the issue is with the kind of boats used. He could not visit the dive lot with the taxi. Did you say that regular objects placed underwater interferes with the boating? There are columns, lights, and a bunch of other regular objects on the dive lots. I'll remove these objects if they are the source of the problem.
  • Options
    ChemicalGreenChemicalGreen Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2014
    Quailhogs, how deep is the ocean in Huntsborough? I seem to remember that it was confirmed that you need at least the depth of y=27 (ocean depth for Isla Paradiso) for kraken to appear. This is also the approximate height for the tall sea weed decor used in EA dive lots, hence the habit of it "peeking" in worlds with shallower seas. Just spitballing here, because I'd dearly love to have a copy of this world with routing fixed available.

While on the subject matter of playing Huntsborough, would it be too crass of me to ask if you're 100% settled on all the lot locations? I love to build houses that are partially on stilts above the water, and Huntsborough seems to have a dearth of semi-submerged lots. I really like the "Presidential Lane" lots in Grey Meadow, any chance you could be moved to add at least one similarly situated to Huntsborough? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I really do not know very much about the dive lots to be honest Quailhog, but it could be a factor if the game programming for any of those items is dry land and they were mooed into place. Anything that involves Moo (moveobjects on) nowadays reacts badly with the game. It used to be okay to moo things - but anything a sims can interact with - if it is mooed in place will now create a routing issue. Every item has a footprint - most of which we don't see - we only see the item but some item meant for just land use will form a foot print all the way from where they are to the land surface for which they are programmed to be on. So I would definitely recognsider anything you placed with MOO. But if the game allowed you to place something on the ocean floor without using moo, then by all I do know it technically should be okay. IP is one of those worlds that should have came out earlier than it did, as that along with ITF there is so little info out there in regards to both of them and any changes in programming because of these things. I know I have never looked into either one with the depth I have looked into the first 6-7 eps. Guess I am not as gungho now a days.

To have Kracken show the ocean depth needs to be at 300. Rflong has the Kracken finally in Legacy Island III and her ocean depth is 300. She also mentioned she used EA's dive lots as she had nothing but trouble with her own dive lots when she re-made that world for IP. It made no sense to her why, but she got fed up with it and just finally used EA's lots and all her issues were solved. So that might be something you also might have to consider - I just don't know enough about them to really suggest anything else.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for your help, guys. That bit about the kraken is a bit annoying. Is there a way to make the terrain underwater deeper without raising the sea level, as I do not want to rebuild all of my ports and beaches. That's excessively annoying.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Feedback, families... does anyone have anything?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    NO not true - the Guru's stated the water needs a minimum of 300 in order for the Kracken to appear on it's own because of where it has to travel between the boats above and the "land" below. Rflong moved her entire world over to a bigger map just to make the deep Oceans - other than that I can't explain any more about it as that is all I know.

EswenRaedself, Also it was the Engineers that remarked after the recoding for Pets MOO was very troublesome and creates a number of problems. When they recoded for Seasons there were further mentions to not use Moo any more for anything but décor Sims did not come in contact with. I saw for myself what become of older worlds where moo was used a lot that became routing nightmares because Moo had been used in earlier builds where it worked fine. Not one played without eventually getting corrupted and unplayable. (There has always been a warning on using Moo in Sims 3 - as it was a debug tool used by designers in Sims 2 - that people figured out somewhat worked in sims 3 - but was never designed for Sims 3 - so the read me in every expansion has a warning about using Moo - where does not even begin to see issues with it up until Pets when the whole game was recoded). Your machine does not mean diddley in these issues. In some cases a machine makes the difference but not in these. Don't forget my sim is in the 3 sims months time in this world - with about 88 sims in the world on top of it. Big difference. Also there are sharks in any world the creators put them in. All Tammie Jo and Rflongs have the IP sharks in them if they put the spawners for them in there. They don't just appear. So I don't get where that came from. But Kracken on his own will not come out and travel the world like it does in IP without the 300 depth. I can call the Kracken in any world because I have the reward to call him forth - but other than my call him out to attack another boat he won't show in those worlds without the needed water depth. Kracken shows in Rflongs new Legacy Island III constantly swimming around at night under houseboats. He usually never attacks though unless I tell him to.

The only way to test a world by downloading the same exact version a tester uses and play normally for about 3 sims months - a fairly large family as well as a population of an average group of about 85 sims in the town. Most worlds encounter routing issues within 3-4 sims weeks and by 3 sims months the world will have massive amount of hard freezes eventually the only way out of the is to use task manager.

People who love using Moo because it used to work well always argue this point - but something should be said for the Guru's and game engineers that actually warn us when they so rarely say anything - never mind the intense testing I do that sees it over and over. Trying it out in edit game for a short few weeks with one household won't do it - or if it does that world is going to be a problem period.

But anyway - to each there own.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Quailhogs - I have all the eps in my game and was told the sims might be a problem if you are not taking sims from certain eps - as I said before so I did not make you any families as didn't want to create issues. As it is two sims I added to my studio won't even show a picture because I used store content and ITF content on them . The exchange has gotten even flakier than it was. As most know I don't use CC or mods. Not necessary.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Writin_Reg: What do you mean that she moved her world over to a bigger map? Did she just import her map onto a new world file? If that is the only way for the Kracken to appear, I am going to just forget about the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Quailhogs I believe that is what she said. Originally Legacy Island was a medium world and in order to have the ocean the way she needed it that is what she said she did. Before that I did not think it could be done - but she did it and it works mint.

But honestly I don't see that it matters if the Kracken appears anyway - like I said if you earn the reward that controls the Kracken simmers can still make it appear - not that it is the least bit necessary. So I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Can we be civil?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I am not going through all of that for a squid... But do you think If I made a really deep diving lot, the Kracken could show up there?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't think so, his programming shows him to swim right below the bottom of the houseboats - a special level only set there for him from the way it appears. So he does not approach anywhere else. The AI has very little programming for him other than the friend of Kracken award that can trigger him to attack another boat or protect a holders boat from attack. But that looks like all they did beside giving him his own humming sound.

ETA It also appears the AI can cause him to attack as well - it is just not clear what causes the AI to do it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Quail Hogs - here is the info Rflong give to another simmer who asked about moving a world to a larger map - I copied it exactly as she posted it - so I can't answer any questions - seeing I don't know the answers but what Rflong wrote - as follows:

"Yes, you can export each terrain paint layer. I've done this many times- I've never read about a world size on the ini files- CAW doesn't keep ini files but it might be on another file. I haven't and don't know about all the files in the worlds.

I've transferred several worlds up in size and usually by exporting the map and the terrain layers.
    If you stretch the map and then use Raw Therapee to make the map a 16bit png file (I think that's it).

If you stretch the map then stretch each exported terrain layer, too. Don't have to make these 16bit png files though. Plain old png is fine for paint layers.

I've done this many times- normally just transferring the small map to a larger without making the island bigger. Use a new terrain paint as the last to mark each intersection will make road placement easier. I use a pink- then delete the layer once the roads are down."

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I appreciate your help, but then what about the lots, the families, trees, and other things? I'm willing if I can easily tranfer these things to a new map, otherwise I do not need the headache.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2014
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Yeah, I am not going through all of that for a squid... But do you think If I made a really deep diving lot, the Kracken could show up there?

Hi :)

I've read that the water has to be deep and not just the dive lot- I don't know this from personal experience.

I did put my exported world map onto a larger map but to make it deeper; I did have to lighten (contrast I believe) the map to raise the land so I could raise the water level to make it deep.

Have to use Raw Therapee to keep the map as a 16bit png thingy. Unless you have Photoshop.

If you're keeping the same size world then you can transfer layers with S3pe. Can't do this if the world is being stretched or transferred to a bigger map. The objects are going to be in the wrong place- this is from personal experience. So, it's pretty much making a new world but having the map and a full plan at the start.

**So, if you're keeping the world the same size (just make it deeper by lightening/contrasting the map) you can transfer the layers but not the roads... the Sims are on the Global layer so they might need to be redone in EIG. Probably...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Versions:
    <a href="http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8263027">Beta Version 2</a> Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane Stuff, and Outdoor Living Stuff, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Island Paradise

I attempted to fix the problems that I deemed fixable.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Will try and download it. My internet is wonky at the moment. We have it being fixed and upgraded shortly but that won't be until Tuesday. But I will try otherwise I will have to wait until Tuesday after they are done. It just won't stay continuosly connected.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top