Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    Snowman5678Snowman5678 Posts: 163
    edited August 2010
    does it need any EP's?
  • Options
    startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hi there! I haven't been around in a week or so (work, work and more work :evil: ) but you guys have done a great work. And soon we get to play this fabulous world *squee* :D I can't wait.

Snowman: You'll need WA and Riverview installed for it to work properly.
  • Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2010
    Snowman5678:
    As startspring replied as well - Riverview hood (Free Download) and World Adventures required. It would probably be installable and playable without them, but a lot of objects and stuff would be replaced by things that wouldn't make sense, so you sure would get a strange looking town.

startspring:
    You've been missed! Yes, Only three more lots to go - some more playtesting needed, and then I should be about ready to upload the complete package!

UPDATE:
    During my playtesting of the hood yesterday, I found that the Martial Arts Academy I had built causes the game to crash. I can walk around and do whatever I want in there, no problem, but if I start practicing on those wooden waddyacallems, the game crashes to desktop - no warning.

I shall go on a problem solving hunt today, but if anyone knows what may cause it I would appreciate some help here. Is it that I can't have an "Academy" lot in a home town? Why, then, is the option available? Or, you can't have that vacation destination object in the home town at all? Or is there just some glitch that causes me to be unable to use that object, so it would work for someone else?

Or, does it require some kind of object on the lot that I'm not aware of? So that a martial arts master can appear? Thinking maybe that's what's happening. I start practicing and the game wants to send a tutor my way, but the lot lacks the ability to do so? I looked at the academy in Shang Simla to see what kind of objects were there, but saw nothing special (except for the obvious martial arts objects).

You know, since I've never actually played WA, I don't know if this object causes problems anywhere else. Guess I'll have to add a cheat family, go on vacation and see if I can use that object in a vacation spot...
  • Options
    TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    For you next teaser pictures, could u include some shots of downtown and farming areas

:D Thanks :D
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    ive got two more buildings to furnish, they should be done in the next two days, hopefully
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TristanrulesCSI:
    Sorry, no downtown or farms today. But, I put together some mountain pictures for a new teaser today. Hope you'll enjoy those!

chris2chris:
    Sounds great. I'm itching to get those final lots submitted now, so I can start putting things together for release.

UPDATE:
    I was a little downhearted by the lack of responses to my latest picture update (2 comments, I think, was all I got), but over the last couple of days there have been a couple requests for new updates, so I guess you guys DO see'em - just haven't commented.

Either way - I put together a new Preview Teaser for today, and decided to move all across town from last beach theme, to have a look at the pride of Overlook Bay - The Overlook itself - and it's surrounding mountain areas!

Feel free to comment ;)
    Gives me more inspiration to put together a new batch of teaser pics.

TEASER PICS (THE MOUNTAINS)

Updated: Aug 23, 2010

33a8j8g.jpg
    The spectacular view from The Overlook was really the starting point for my idea when I first set out to create a town. I wanted a place where you could see the whole town from afar. I am very pleased with how that all turned out! Artistic Sims should really get some inspiration on the easels up here.

2zin2ae.jpg
    One of the houses as you begin your ascent up the mountains. I had originally an idea for a curvier and even more treacherous road up the mountainside, but I struggled in CAW to get the road nice and smooth. I'm still pleased with the end result though. (House in picture by gldkelly)

1z64c44.jpg
    An overview picture of the highest elevated residential area in Overlook Bay. You may want to keep some oxygen masks if you want to live here... Spectacular views to be found, and very distant feel from the city with all the forest right outside your door. Spectacular living areas, if a little far from town and work.

2eey4ug.jpg
    Just imagine... this could be your home. At least I feel my mouth watering at the very thought of it. I'm sure many will enjoy getting a house up here in the mountains. Having a barbeque at the back porch should provide some stunning photo opportunities for your storytelling needs.

w044jk.jpg
    I've always been a sucker for nice views. Even in the Sims 2, I remember I was ecstatic when for the first time ever we could see our neighboring lots. So, nice views from your homes has always been a focal point while designing the town. I mean... just look at this view from one of startspring's houses!

2qjc2sn.jpg
    And, well, I was only going to do five pictures on each preview, but I couldn't leave this one out. This is what you will see after your long hike up the mountain to reach The Overlook. I felt it was a good finish to todays update.
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    wow, the overlook is amazing!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Those pics are absolutely stunning! I have allready expressed my eagerness to play this world and these little "munchies" makes me want it even more :-P :-P
    I can't help you with the academy issue though. I have had practice dummies and boards in my gyms without any problems :? But maybe you're right about the master/tutor thing. Hope you can fix it :-)
  • Options
    TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    i love the new pictures, the houses and overlook look fantastic and blend in with the spectular surroundings gr8 job :)
  • Options
    SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited August 2010
    The preview pics look amazing. The house builders are to be commended as well. I hope you were able to find answers to your Sim Fu academy issues. I don't know the answer to that myself. There's a world here that has a Sim Fu academy in it that apparently runs fine but I hadn't played it yet.
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    Those pics are great. The overlook is really amazing. It reminds me of the overlook in new haven, CT where I live now. I hope you figure out the issue wth the crashing. Ill see if its dffrent in my game. I wondrous if somehow the. Lot got bgged. Don't mind my misspellings I'm on my stupid Droid! Lol
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chris2chris:
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm quite pleased with it, and it's a really fun place to visit in game. You can barbeque up there as well. I'm looking forward to many spectacular pictures taken from that place.

startspring:
    Sorry to be giving you the munchies, but hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer now. As soon as I get the lots from chris2chris, drowssap and merrynutlump I will be about ready to put together the files for release.

Still no luck on the martial arts lot, though... see below.

TristanrulesCSI:
    Thanks. Glad the mountain pictures were appreciated... I'll see if I can do the downtown next.

SummerSong86:
    Yes, the house builders have been absolutely key to make this world as wonderful as (I think) it is. Without them, this would never have been completed at all. I've also been blessed with countless wonderful creations from them, that make Overlook Bay a truly enjoyable place to be - whether you're out in the scenery or inside the numerous lots.

happyjme:
    Hey, I grew up in Connecticut... very close to New Haven in fact, in Danbury... I was only a kid back then, so I can't say that I've ever been to the Overlook in New Haven, but that's still kind of funny, isn't it?

See below for some more info on my Martial Arts issue, and if you want to help me figure this issue out...

UPDATE:
    Still the Martial Arts lot is giving me problems. I changed it from "Academy" to "Visitors Allowed", and then I could use the practice dummies without problems. However, after gaining the Sims first Martial Arts skill point, and he wants to show off his new belt (changing clothes) - that's when it crashes on me now...

I don't know what to do, so I've uploaded the lot on the exchange. If someone dares/wants to test it out in their copy of Overlook Bay, that would be great. This way I'd know whether it's the lot itself that is bugged, or if it's something on my end only. If it does crash the game for you as well, it would be appreciated if you'd want to try and help pinpoint what is causing it.

If all else fails... I'll simply remove the martial arts objects for the official version of the town. I don't feel like building something completely different for the lot at this time.

Here is the link to the lot for those kind enough to want to try it out:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2982375
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I DL:d the academy and tested it in the build template 'hood without any problems. I forced one of my athletes to level 4 of the martial arts skill and made him try all the dummies and the boards. No problem with showing off belts or anything else. I love the lot by the way :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    startspring:
    Great! Odd... but great. Seems the problem lies only with my computer then. Can't really be any mods or anything either, since I can do Martial Arts in Shang Simla without a problem... Thanks for testing it out.

If someone else wants to give it a run, that'd be great, just to make 100% sure that it's only me...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ill test it. Ill also put some of those objects in my own lot and see if it does the same thing.
    Have you tried putting the objects on another lot and seeing if it crashes still?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    double post
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    happyjme:
    Thanks. Let me know how it goes in your game.

Haven't tried the Martial Arts objects on another lot in Overlook Bay. I'll have to give that a try later on.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hey, I spent a lot of time in New Haven, as I have a ton of relatives in that area of Connecticut. Small world for sure.
    I went to college in New Haven for 2 years as well on the Yale campus, mainly in the Arts and Sciences buildings. I had a small off campus apartment.

Hey sorry I couldn't repond lately Lee, I've been replacing a harddrive in my pc and trying to recover things. So I've been a bit occupied. But I already know I want this world, as I don't need convincing it's a super world. hehehe.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    fembodfembod Posts: 654 Member
    edited August 2010
    wow wow wow! when this be ready? its fantastic!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Hey, I spent a lot of time in New Haven, as I have a ton of relatives in that area of Connecticut. Small world for sure.
    I went to college in New Haven for 2 years as well on the Yale campus, mainly in the Arts and Sciences buildings. I had a small off campus apartment.

Hey sorry I couldn't repond lately Lee, I've been replacing a harddrive in my pc and trying to recover things. So I've been a bit occupied. But I already know I want this world, as I don't need convincing it's a super world. hehehe.

Wow! It seems like it is a small world! My boyfriend is starting his first year of grad school at Yale, so we will be here for at least 2 years. We live close to campus and downtown as well. I love the area and its nice being able to take the train into Manhattan once in a while.

I tried your lot Lee and it works fine in my game. Not crashing and my sims got to yellow belt. I also tried building my own in Twinbrook and no crashing either. I think it must be either something else thats on the lot that is making it crash with the objects in question, or the lot is bugged itself.
    hopefully its not your neighborhood that is bugged :shock:
    try building another lot with the objects in Overlook and an EA world and see if they crash you computer.
    If you need someone to download your world to help you test it out before you offically release it to everyone, I can help you check for bugs.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Writin_Reg:
    Seems we all have a connection to Connecticut ;)

Good to see you again, and hope everything went smooth with the new hard drive. I know these things can be a pain in the ol' rear. I'm afraid I'll be needing to update pretty soon on my computer as well. Tried running defrag and scandisc on my computer to smooth things out, but my gamedrive refused...

fembod:
    Thanks. I'm hoping to release this in the very near future. I'm waiting on three lots to be submitted that are the final pieces of the puzzle. So, it shouldn't be long now.

happyjme:
    Ok - so that mean you, startspring and another guy over on the MTS forums can play that lot without issues. So, clearly the problem lies with my computer, or (horror) the version of the hood that I got.

I'll try two things today.

1) Build a new lot with the Martial Arts objects and try that...
    2) Bulldoze the current lot, and place down the same saved version of it that you guys played in your hoods.

If neither of these things work... maybe I'll need a couple of you dedicated builders for this world to help me test this world out for a few days before I release it to the public.

ATTENTION:

chris2chris, drowssap and merrynutlump

Been a while since I heard anything from any of you guys, and your lots are the final pieces of the puzzle for me to finish this town. I'm really not able to do much more until I get those lots in place, so I can start finishing things up and try to get this hood released to the public.

I would really appreciate some info on what is going on. Last I heard, all three of you were pretty much finished with your lots, so I'm confused as to where you all went.

I think I'm going to be needing your lots within the next couple of days, as I was really hoping to release this town as soon as possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can help you test the hood if needed. Hopefully it's only the lot that is bugged and everything will work out just fine *keeping fingers crossed, REAL tight*
  • Options
    jay6754jay6754 Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited August 2010
    Can i build something? Not a house maybe a old victorian/georgian building?

I also seen that skyscraper of mine in there. It looks cool

• Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    sorry about that, i just got a chance to sit down at the pc, had a doc's appointment this morning, and i have a very big essay to complete :/ so my world is going on hold for this week,

i will get landscaping now, im sorry for the delay, since iv had my results, iv had to phone up countless places to sort out all these financial forms, confusing the heck out of me, but lucky iv managed to take on enough courses to pay in "instalments" so i can use my "living" money to pay for courses and my "award" money for living because i wont be getting that until next year, how i will afford things until then i dont know :shock: hectic irritating stuff

anyway back on topic, i will do the landscaping now, is there anything in particular i should or shouldn't do when it comes to landscaping ?
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2995598

iv done a water feature in the back,a garage, and some light flowers the other side of the house,

i will have to add photos later, sorry :( my essay is looking right at me, and im looking at owing alot of money if i dont hand it in on time