Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks.

Looks like a very cozy and nice beach house. I'm not sure I will be able to use them, thought, as pretty much all the beach lots are already in place. I will probably have to download and have a peak at them just the same.

About Ambitions - I haven't bought that yet, and will not allow Ambitions content in this town so that it is available to those without it as well.

As I mention in the Builder's Thread for this town, however, I welcome any lots built for Ambitions even though they won't be in the official release. I hope to list them as alternative downloads for those who own the EP, so they can easily customize the town for their own playing needs.

I will probably buy it myself, once this town is done and released.
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    thats alright :)!
    iv become well into my beachy themed lots atm, which is great because your world has a lovely beach area, im well excited your back, back when you were working on this i was mostly just creeping around threads ;)

ambitions has a lot more usefull trees and such, perhaps not for this world though, more swampy, but they didnt release all the world objects for us, which is something im working on but well, less said about all that the better ,

if you need anything from me let me know though :)! i dont mean to be rambling on like a fool, but oh :)! im happy now

good luck with this world! :D!
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    OMG! Your Back! :)
    Im still available for anything that you need built or otherwise.
    I hope that most of the others that helped you work on it are still around and still willing to take part again.
    I almost feel like you may want to consider adding more roads to the downtown though to make more available space for Ambitions and Late Night when people want to add in lots. But thats just a thought.. :)
    Remind me what lots are still available?
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I just checked up on the Builders thread. lol So Ill be checking up with the project there.
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited August 2010
    It is indeed great to see you back Lee. You have been missed and I hope you stick around regardless of what happens (or what could happen). We were worried about you and it`s good to see you back and back with a vengeance.

It seems the new version of CAW (since the last patch) is a wee bit more stable and seems to present less in the way of lot and road tearing (I don`t want to tempt fate). Anyways, best wishes from Scotland and good luck with Overlook Bay.
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    yay!
  • Options
    startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited August 2010
    Welcome back Lee :D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey! Happyjme and Startspring! Two of the main contributors! I'm so glad to see you guys, and hopefully you're ready to build some more. There was actually a lot more left to build than I remembered...

Anyway - a slight news update. Let's begin with the bad news.

I'm done with CAW. Started off just fine as I began adding lots. I was even positively surprised to see that the road and lot tears (and that massive ocean tear) seemed to have fixed themselves just like that. But, then I tried saving stuff added in CAW, and that part had not been fixed. Continuous crashing (and Bless the Powers that be, the loading times with the DCCache included had shortened by about an hour!!!). Stuff went missing from the lots... and many lots went disappearing all together. The City Hall lot, for example, had no City Hall... everything else was there.

But - on to the good news. I have been able to save a good working World file of Overlook Bay, and have now installed that to my game. That will be the official release version, though - so you will need to download a save game as well as the world install file to enjoy this town when released.

I've also decided to offer a couple of different versions, now that I've decided for a fact to release it with Save Game requirements. I'll just list the different varieties below:

1. CLEAN - This version will offer NO lots at all. For those who want to build 168 lots themselves to get their own town.

2. STANDARD - This version will have ALL lots and Spawners required for a fun gaming experience. The only thing missing will be Sims themselves. For those who want to populate the town with their own Simmies only, or have a sweet spot for Maxis random townies that will populate if using this version.

3. STORY - And, the final version will be where I include the Sims I have in mind for this town. They have little stories to tell and will give you the chance to play with some (according to me) fun little Simmies on the streets of Overlook Bay.

Happyjme: Oh, and about the extra streets for downtown. I do agree there couldn't really be enough of them. But, like mentioned above... I'm done with CAW. Also, even if I weren't, I don't really see where I could fit any more streets. There is, however, an additional street in conjunction with the downtown area that is not present in the Build Template you guys have. I intended for it to be residential, but I'm sure people could use those lots to build extra community lots if needed.

There are quite a few community lots as there is, as well. I'm counting 7 community lots that haven't even been built on yet, and at least 5 or so that are in place but serve no real gameplay purpose other than look pretty. There are also a couple of restaurants, bars and hot spots that will hopefully be easily converted to functional lots once Night Life is released.

I hope, and believe, that there will be enough community lots for most needs :)

Oh... and while I have your attention. If you're still interested in building more town houses (absolutely love the ones you've built so far) I wouln't mind seeing a few along Northview Rd., instead of the Victorian's. Seems those 6 lots have been hard to get houses for...

But, of course - anything you want to build is fine by me.

Myself... well, once I finish adding all the lots I currently have to the new World file (in the Base Game, so I'll be done with that tomorrow), I will start building the Graveyard, which (if I recall correctly) was the last of the lots I had assigned myself. I've got some inspiration now for a Graveyard that I was lacking back then. I should also get to update the Lot List in the Builder's Thread tomorrow, so it's easier to know what is being built, and what is not.

After that... well, we'll see how things take off with this town again. Whether or not I get some new, or old returnees, builders. I really hope to fill this town to the max before I release it... just doesn't look right with the empty lots (except for the few extra I've added since the build template, which are intended to be free to build on at game start).

Alright - more news for you guys tomorrow. And, thanks again for all your support and help!
  • Options
    WyndhaneWyndhane Posts: 383 New Member
    edited August 2010
    ... !! This is awesome news. :D

I was a pure lurker at the time so you've never heard from me before, LeeMortis, but I really looked forward to Overlook Bay being done. :O I checked the thread for updates daily and everything. I was sad to hear it back when it turned out the project probably wasn't going to be finished after all. It was what tipped me over onto learning how to use CAW myself, in fact, as at the time nobody else had a world-in-the-making that I actually wanted to play with. ^^ Well. That, and all the other interesting projects ended up being abandoned.

You go! :D ::cheers:: I have got to take a look at the building thread now.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK.

The Lot List in the Builder's Thread has been updated. It is now much easier to find what is available to build. Please post in this thread which one you want so I can reserve it for you guys.

I have cleared all the old reservations, so everything is up for grabs right now. However, if someone who was building a specific lot returns and wants to complete the one they had, they will get priority of that specific lot.

In the OP you will find a list of lots yet to be completed. These lists are each headlined with a link to the more detailed Lot List where you can read info on what I expect, or hope to get.

And, please download the Build Template and use the correct lot to build on. Some of the lots are unique sizes, but more importantly I want the lots to fit the surrounding environment, which is easier for you guys to do if you build it where it will be in the final release.

To reserve a lot to build, just post what you want right here (first come, first serve... with the exception of those who previously had something reserved who get priority). I hope to finally finish this town in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully I can get you guys to help me build as actively as things were when I needed that long break from the game.

OVERLOOK BAY - BUILDER'S THREAD!

Wyndhane: So nice to see a lurker de-lurking :)

Glad to hear you like the town. I don't know how well it matches up to towns being built nowadays, as I guess people have gotten better and figured stuff out. But, I hope it still can compare to some of the best out there. I know I still love it, and that this is where my career game will take place once it's finished.

Hope you decide to help with the building. There is quite a few lots still available, so if you check the above link you should find something you'd like to build.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    did you add any new lots or roads?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i would help building but nothing will upload i built this

ill try to upload if you like it

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/244019.page#3088429
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chris2chris:
    Very colorful looking Victorian. Not sure if it fits the world I'm building, but what size is it? Please let me know, so I can see if it goes in anywhere.

About new roads and lots. There are a few new ones that weren't in the Build Template. Not many, but about 8 (intended) residential close to downtown, and one "special" lot near the Military Base. I think that's the only extra things I put in after the Build Template - apart, of course, from spawners, street lights, decor and a couple new surprise areas.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    have you got the new CAW since the update?
    there's a few little differences, most obvious is how well edit in game loads,

yes im still creeping around :roll:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    Yup, downloaded and installed the latest version of CAW. It was certainly a significant improvement over the previous version. It shaved the loading time to EIG with about an HOUR! Still wasn't stable enough for me to be able to complete the town using it...

Honestly, though - I think much of that is because of my computer. I'm not running on a high-end computer (like I would want to). Just slightly above minimum specs for the game... so I think many of the problems I encountered in this latest test were due to memory issues (which would explain the un-saved lots and missing items, and the crashing itself to a certain extent).

Keep creepin' 'round :)
  • Options
    shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited August 2010
    When will you upload the clean version?
    Does the clean version have spawners, or do we have to add them on lots?

I love this world. Can't wait to build.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i dont really know how to tell size, but if i upload it you can use it if you want it has a couple of store items, like the windows, but they will be replaced with some curved top ones

ill try to upload it now, i hope it works
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DutchySim:
    I'll be uploading all different versions at the same time - when everything is complete. Don't want to upload early, and then realize I need to make some changes.

The clean version will have MOST spawners, but not ALL of them. Certain spawners are only present on particular community lots (the Death Fish will be found at the Graveyard for example... nowhere else - other's you'll have to explore ;) ). I don't think I'll be able to provide a list, but I'll look into it. I do have a document which lists exactly where I put every single spawner to keep myself organized... of course, this list itself I won't release to the public. Half the fun will be trying to locate some stuff.

But, if you're yearning to build for the town. Please do check out the Builder's Thread (HERE), and see if there is something you'd like to contribute. The more people that build, the quicker I'll get to finish up this town.

chris2chris:
    Oh, I was talking about the lot grid size ;) So I know what kind of lot it would need to be placed on.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it wants me to logg in but i already did? im already logged in, so i dont know if i can, i fanyone knows a solution please let me know, thx
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i dont stay in edit in game long, i usually make all my lots in the sims game, and export them to the library, when edit in game has crashed on me in the past, it gives no warning, have you tried doing that ? instead of building in edit in game i mean

if your not running a high end pc you've done amazing work, iv seen some photos of lower end pc's working on CAW and it seems difficult to see what their doing, but then ;) what do you not consider high end, when i bought my laptop my graphics card was just about average and im noticing extra sims expansions is taking its toll on the game im used to my settings on Max, which well .. pushes my pc abit too much sometimes,

im thinking of upgrading my old desktop pc, if you have a desktop pc you could upgrade parts of it ?

and i will continue to creep dont you worry ;)

• Options
    sims3fan1235sims3fan1235 Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2010
    I will so download this when it's complete. Great work!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chris2chris:
    Sorry, but I have never encountered that kind of problem, so I wouldn't be of much help. Keep trying, and let me know if and when you get it fixed.

drowssap:
    That's all I've been trying to do in EIG. All lots are built in the game - I'm just trying to add them to the neighborhood in EIG, no editing at all. I've got all 140 or so lots that are completed in my library (as well as a manual back up copy of that library to protect it should anything go horribly wrong).

Computer I'm running is a PIII 3,4Ghz with 2Gig RAM, a 128MB graphics card... so it's adequate, but certainly not anywhere near top-o-the-line. It's a desktop, and I would upgrade if I'd had the money to do so ;) I think I'll be trying to save up to a new computer all together, though, because I'm sick and tired of this one.

sims3fan1235:
    Thanks. Glad you like it so far... and duly noted ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    thx
  • Options
    jay6754jay6754 Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hiy

Ill reply here to your post you left on my thread about the skyscraper you want to add to your world. I have a few tall buildings in overlook bay.

I have updated my work on your world and i would like you to see it. You can use some of the buildings if you want

4698385313_0d4699af11_b.jpg

But i think this is the lot your talking about? If want to use this you can.
    w-570h-428-1468056.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2010
    Chris2chris - when you log in and it gives you that, try logging in with the email address you used to register with this site and then your password. I found that when I just use my site name it will keep popping that up until I put my email there in the place of the user name. I believe that is because my email identifies me on the main EA site, while on this site I am identified by just my user name. That log in is handled by the EADM which is technically a main EA site features and not a sims 3 site feature. But it always works for me for both the store and to upload stuff.

AND LEE, my friend I could not be more delighted at seeing you just being there. I was terribly worried about you and suddenly your world was not important but your welfare was. I don't think a day has passed that I have not wondered if you were okay as I know how frustrated and discouraged you were when your world (created world that is) started going to pieces. So whether or not you got the world done (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this world) I am just so happy to see you are doing well. Gosh, you could have just dropped in and let us know you were okay - of course I realize a lot of people would have probably been jumping on you to finish this - but for the rest of us just concerned about your welfare, it would have eased our worries and there were lots of us just mainly hoping you were okay.

So now I can smile. If you finish the world - fine, I'll surely be one of those eagerly to try it (yes to the save file too), but nothing else is as important as you are my friend. And thank the good lord you are well and apparently back in the saddle.

Yes the coming ep sounds fabulous and I can't wait for October to get here. I will sooth my anxiety temporarily with the sp coming out in September - I want that super fast car Grant Rodeick speaks of in his Fast Lane Stuff video and all the clothes so my sims look proper for the ep in October.

But anyway, a great big Welcome back!!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....