Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited February 2010
    Nesiroo: Thanks. Glad you like it. Sorry to say I'm not in a position to even guesstimate a release date right now. Creating a huge town like this, and also wanting all original lots in it means a whole lot of work. Things are running along nicely, and I've recieved tons of valuable help from the community in building lots. I still have about 15-20 or so lots to build myself though and that will take me at least a couple of weeks or three.

After than - it depends on how much is left to build. If I need to build some residential houses (focussing on community lots myself) or not. Once all that is done, I need to finetune everything in CAW and Playtest before I release.

So - I believe it will still be well over a month away.

But, believe me, it'll be as fast as I can get it done... I'm dyin' to play this world myself :)
  • Options
    tdroberts1994tdroberts1994 Posts: 10
    edited February 2010
    Awesome world! Can't wait till you release

If I may could I verify your "bridges won't appear without world adventures"

ITS TRUE!

I do not have world adventures but was too ignorant and ran the build template on the original sims and NO bridges turned up, so the sims can either swim or wait till i get WA.

So thats that, don't rely on the original game, it will not work!

Keep up the great work Mr Mortis!
  • Options
    Cyberqueen13Cyberqueen13 Posts: 2,835 Member
    edited February 2010
    Hi LeeMortis. I think that your world is so totally mindblowing!!!!!! EA should have hired someone like you to be creative. Your world looks like it could be an EP all by its self. I think that you are doing a wonderful job, not just with the world but with the thread and bringing people together in the sim community to help a little with your project. I am not as creative as so many others on here are, but I would like to offer an idea...If you checkout my studio you will find a lake I made that sim can swim in. You are much more creative than I am, so I don't think that you want to use my lake, but it would be great if your world included an area where the sim can have a place to chillout and sim in the lake or beach...EA didn't make it so that we could sim in the ocean or lakes...(very sad). I found how to do it on the forums. You basically build a pool and decorate around it. I KNOW you can do it better than I did and that would be a wonderful surprise for people to see that in the world (I wouldn't tell anyone that you were adding it...just surprise them) smiling cleverly...Thanks so much for making The Sims gaming even better.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tdroberts1994: Thank You. Good to get a confirmation of what happens when someone who doesn't have WA installs the world. I thought those bridges would not appear at all (the riverview ones don't seem to ship with CAW, sadly).

But, for those without WA... it is definitely worth the Simoleons ;)

Cyberqueen13: Thank You - now you're making me blush :) I really like your suggestion of a swimmable pond or lake somewhere... the beach would have been great but I don't see any way of hiding the pool at a beach... that would need to be open space which would certainly show off the pool walls. Not sure whether or not such a place will make it onto the final world, but thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    rae92rae92 Posts: 215 Member
    edited February 2010
    Just dropped by to say I downloaded your build template and loved what I saw! Can't wait to see your finished result with the lots.
    Unfortunately, one of my traits is lazy so I didn't actually build on a lot of the template (and when I say that I mean I left all the community lots empty and only built on about 10 or 12 of the residentials before I gave up).

Anyway, can't wait to see what you do with it and I really do admire all the work you've put in - I would never have the patience.

:D
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2010
    It's looking good Lee. Still waiting and saving a spot for this world when it's done. I did not download the template though as I felt your world did not deserve my dreary ideas for houses and such. I'm more the starter house type of simmer that just adds rooms as the needed so many of my own designs look like the Winchester house - a big mess to say the least. I tend to play legacy style and won't use cheats unless I absolutely have to. I figure I have to work hard for anything I get in life - so do my sims. No silver platters for them. hehehe

So I especially look forward to playing this world with all the imput from all the volunteers who do build wonderful places. I often make my sucessful sims move up by moving into houses like ehaught or ruthless builds - depending on the type of hood it is.

Will wait for your hood as long as it takes. That makes 3 I am eagerly waiting for and all 3 of you guys are doing a stupendous job on what you are doing. In the meantime I am enjoying flongs hoods and a couple others that are made nice as well.

But your world is looking wonderful.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited February 2010
    rae92: Thanks! Glad you like my town. Hope you will enjoy the finished version when I can finally release it. By the way - you didn't have to build on the town for yourself :) The build template was so people can submit their lots to me and I can add the ones I like to town.

Writin_Reg: Many thanks for all those kind words. Hopefully you'll have a good time bringing some Sims through their lives in Overlook Bay. It is well designed for a Legacy type challenge, whith the Trailer Park being the only place you'll be able to afford right away. You'll have to work your way out of that not so nice (yet, very charming in my view) place.

I'm trying hard to finish it - but there's still a lot of work to do. Keep your eyes on this thread.

UPDATE:

Thought it was time for some new pictures for you guys to feast your eyes on. I've been spending the last few days building what will be a restaurant out on Old Pier. I went for an old look, yet inviting and comfortable.

Hope y'all like (yeah, can't get that southerner out of me...)

The "official picture" for the lot...
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/qstp3l.jpg "width=600"[/IMG]

The exterior as you approach it from the street
    s4q5b5.jpg

Exterior view as seen from the side
    sw8iur.jpg

Side stairs to second deck
    1tpric.jpg

Piers...
    2wf1roi.jpg

Restaurant dining area
    2zz48cl.jpg

Large table for group dining
    iwpwl1.jpg

Buffet tables
    24pjq78.jpg

Top deck dining tables with a spectacular view
    fbc7te.jpg

The bar
    315fp0m.jpg

Chess by the ocean
    2w6b7s0.jpg

Old forgotten, overgrown boat
    28v51d1.jpg

No fishing allowed!
    2i7xn2e.jpg

Nicely lit at night...
    2eq51jr.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2010
    Hey Lee, I'm totally loving those pictures - I'm originally from the South too and that reminds me of some of those All you can eat Fish fry places we used to go when I was a kid down in Florida and Georgia.

Just lovely.

Yes - I figured I'd be starting some of my newbies off in the trailer part. I did download your empty trailer to get my feel for the place. I do plan to ship some of my successful Sims into Overlook too. So they will have the means to buy some classy places. With Sims 3 it's rather easy to get the 9th or 10 th generation brats who are born with the silver spoon into new games. I like how they let you save just the family and all their bucks if that is all you want and yet not disturb them from their original homes. Clones are good in this case, as many of those Sims also have maxed or near maxed skills. Granted I only have 3 possibly 4 families like that, but i only plan on moving the main three as they represent three different races and all three have 5 kids who are the 10 generation of their families - one of which came out of Mrs. Crumplebottom and her ghostly spouse. None are ghosts though.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Cyberqueen13Cyberqueen13 Posts: 2,835 Member
    edited February 2010
    LeeMortis-I check this site almost everyday for comments made and mostly for updates from you about the progress. Even if I don't comment, keep up the motivation. I think you are doing a superb job, as do others I am sure.
  • Options
    BrianmsnBrianmsn Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2010
    i made this house, idk if it will fit in ur town though. 30x20 lot size. the outside isn't modern but the inside kit is.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
    Screenshot-10.jpg
    Screenshot-9.jpg
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2027296
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Writin_Reg: Glad you liked the Pier. Yeah, it was definitely inspired by those seafood restaurants down in Florida, mainly along the Indian River which, of course, is also where the map for my town was taken from - so it only made sense I base some building designs from that area.

Would be very interested to hear of your experiences playing in town once I get it released. Knowing your writing skills, I'm sure it would be a great read. I will probably start up a simple forum dedicated to the Bay when the time comes, for the sole purpose of discussing and sharing Overlook Bay stories and lots.

Cyberqueen13: Thanks, again. Yeah - I took a bit of a break last night, as I felt I really needed to think about something else for a while. I've been working hard on this for so long now I can barely sleep at night :)

Brianmsn: Thank You. It's a great looking house. Unfortunately I don't have any 20x30 lots in which that particular style of house is desired. I looked at your profile, and there are some nice houses you've built, so if you want to contribute I'd be happy to have you do so.

Please, look at the "Builder's Thread" for this town, in which you can see a complete list of avialable lots to build on, and what style of house I am looking for on these lots.

Link here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/164811.page

And, please. Change the size of the pictures. They break the page so I can't read the posts.

Simply add "width=600" (quotes included) behind the image URL in your IMG code.
    Or, change them to links.
  • Options
    nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited February 2010
    ooh, if you want i made a boarding school dorm, im working on the actual school and 2nd dorm now, but in the mean time if you like you can use it in town. it has 8 rooms for use i think, art room, eating area, 2 storey library..

ill get some pics up for you soon.
  • Options
    rae92rae92 Posts: 215 Member
    edited February 2010
    I know I didn't have to download the template, I just wanted to see what it looked like and I liked what I saw! :D
  • Options
    BreakingDawn215BreakingDawn215 Posts: 13
    edited February 2010

The bay looks beautiful, I cant wait to download it. :D 8)
  • Options
    GlosoliGlosoli Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2010
    This looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see it finished. It's on such a huge scale compared to some of the worlds I've seen.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    nudic2: I'd be happy to have a look at them. Don't know what kind of style you're building, but if you take a look at my "Overlook Bay Builder's Thread", you can see what kind of lots I have and what I need built for the town. Most of what is left is community lots...

rae92: Ok, sorry about that ;) I just read it as if you were trying to build the whole town by yourself, which certainly would be a massive project. :D

BreakingDawn215: Thank You. I'm trying my bestest to get the town ready for upload.

Glosoli: Thanks. Hope I can meet everyone's expectations by the time it is released.

UPDATE:

Well, from time to time I feel like I should post some preview pictures of what's happening as the town develops. Today, I've finished the City Dump lot... yeah - that's right - not every part of town is going to be pretty. It's nothing special, really, but I still like the place and it is a bit different from most lots one comes across in the Sims world.

Here are some pictures.

Overview of the 'Rancid Waste Management Inc.' Lot
    r1eg6x.jpg

Front entrance to the office
    m4wwj.jpg

So this is where Sim cars go when they die...
    eg2utu.jpg

There is a lot of junk in the yard at this place... not a pretty sight
    35dcoc3.jpg

An overview of the dump area
    2uyg5f8.jpg

If you have business at the Waste Management office, please take a seat
    dvsox3.jpg
  • Options
    RetroFlowerRetroFlower Posts: 28 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I love the idea of having a junk yard. Incredibly creative :D
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited February 2010
    Lee is so fierce! So real! *fans self*
  • Options
    CaseyMarkamCaseyMarkam Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2010
    Loving the town! I can already hear the obnoxious air conditioner in the junk yard office! Hehe.

Its amazingly real.
  • Options
    GerardoGerardo Posts: 77 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I just found all the updates in "Overclock Bay" :shock:

It'S Great! I like this place a lot because you are working with effort and I can feel it in your project.

I hope we can play with your town soon!
  • Options
    Diskette66Diskette66 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited March 2010
    Really can't wait till you are 100% finished, it's looking great!!
  • Options
    MJSIMMERMJSIMMER Posts: 26 New Member
    edited March 2010
    This world looks fantastic. I was pretty happy with my world until I saw yours. What a lot of thought and planning you put into this. I'm working on my second world and now I think I need to do a lot more to it to make it more realistic... I love the junk yard idea. I would love to test this world and cannot wait for the finished project.
    MJSimmer
  • Options
    nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited March 2010
    dude, im seriously dying to play this world.!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hi guys!

Sorry for not having updated this thread with any news for some time (even before the forums went down). Thought it was time to give you a bit of an update, as I'm getting closer and closer to completing this town for each passing day (good thing that is... wouldn't you say?).

First up. I've completed all the lots I put myself up for building, with the exception of the graveyard. I'm taking a break from building before I do that one, and will go through an extensive list of minor fixes I want to do in CAW that I have discovered along the way while test playing and building in town. Once that list is complete, I'll do the Graveyard. Depending on how things are progressing with the other remaining lots that other people are working on, I should be pretty much ready to finalize this town after that. If there are still a number of lots that need to be built I'll start grabbing some of those myself to help speed up the process.

So - now you know the plan. It should be done in 2-3 weeks I hope.

RetroFlower: Thanks. I thought it was a great idea too... and Maxis seem to have jumped quickly on the idea, as it appears we'll be able to have junkyards in the Ambitions EP ;)

Gillie: Easy boy - I'm not Britney Spears or the Beatles :D

CaseyMarkam: Thanks. Yeah, I'm very happy with how that place turned out.

Gerardo: Thank You. I hope to be able to finish this town in the next two or three weeks so we can all start our games there. I can barely wait myself.

Diskette66: Thanks, and agreed. Been spending a lot of time on this, and it will be bliss when I can finally say that it's complete.

MJSIMMER: Thanks. If you want to play test it, I might offer a limited time BETA test version close to release (a week prior or something) exclusively on the official Overlook Bay forum which should be up and running at about the same time. Keep your eyes peeled here for more news on that. And, good luck on your own world.

nudic2: That makes two of us :) I'm working as hard as I can to finish this.

I'll leave you with a few more teaser pictures of some stuff that I've been working on since the last update.

Part of Hopper's Orchard, where you can pick some fruits and veggies.
    5n3qfm.jpg

One entry side of the Overlook Park in downtown Overlook Bay.
    245f49i.jpg

Get ready for a night out on the town.
    1zytwd2.jpg

View from Hotwoods Lake with a pretty much complete city backdrop
    5jy92b.jpg
  • Options
    SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited March 2010
    It's sure looking great. Very exciting. I think it's not for wimpy computers, though. I'm upgrading my graphics card in the coming week so I'm holding out hope with my Quad Core rig I can run this town when it's finally released. My overall specs are good but with the graphics card I have now, though...whoa nelly. Lee I would love to know the specs on your computer or at the very least, the graphics card you're using. For your machine to render that level of detail on such a complex world is just jaw dropping amazing. I'm envious.