Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2010
    jay6754:
    Wow! Looks like someone's been busy building up my town while I was gone :)

Some interesting builds there that I wouldn't mind having a closer look at. When I looked at your profile, I think there were only two uploads or something... one being the Skyscraper in question. Let me know how I can get hold of some of these other buildings and see if there is something else useful for the official release of Overlook Bay.

And, thanks for letting me use the Skyscraper. You were alright with me slightly modifying it to fit the concrete environment?

Then I'll go ahead and mark that lot off as DONE!.

Thanks, again - and keep up the good work on your London town.

Writin_Reg:
    Yeah, I'm sorry about disappearing like that :oops: , and I'm sorry you guys were worried about me. I've been just fine, though.

Thing is. I was so frustrated with all the problems I suffered back then. I knew I needed a lengthy break... just wasn't aware, at the time, just HOW long apparently was required before I felt like playing The Sims again. I haven't even started the game once since that last reply I made here - until now. So, honestly, I very rarely even thought about coming in here just to let you guys know I was alright. While I did think of you guys at times, I haven't been thinking about playing Sims, if you know what I mean.

Wasn't until about a week ago, when I was at a friends house playing some GTA, and his daughter wanted to show me a house she'd built in The Sims. That got me thinking again... and now, here I am :)

And, Overlook Bay will be finished this time... I think, hehe (just now going to see what was lost after the latest crash... now the game itself wants to go crashing on me?). Everything is in working order now. Just gotta fill up those last empty lots with some nice looking houses and create the different Save Game files I promised. Also going to create some new Sims that I want to move in to town. I actually just finished a new couple, specifically designed for the Trailer Park.

Oh, and Fast Lane sounds like a decent Stuff Pack. I just noticed on The Sims 3 website that there was a little "taster" available... well a Ford anyway. Just downloaded that little pack so I got something new to look at next time I load up the game.

Alright. Well, thanks for your concern, though, and sorry for not getting back here to ease your worries. And, it's good to see you again too. Always an interesting read wherever you post!

• Options
    startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hi Lee! Good to have you back :-) I was thinking I could lend a hand with the building once again. The thing is I have Ambitions installed and I don't know if the builds will be compatible with your version :? I'm willing to give it a try though, nothing ventured nothing gained right :P
    I was thinking a pub/bar at 124 Iranon St if it's allright with you? Give me your thoughts on that and what style the house should be built in.

See you later 8)
  • Options
    shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited August 2010
    LeeMortis wrote:
    DutchySim:
    I'll be uploading all different versions at the same time - when everything is complete. Don't want to upload early, and then realize I need to make some changes.

The clean version will have MOST spawners, but not ALL of them. Certain spawners are only present on particular community lots (the Death Fish will be found at the Graveyard for example... nowhere else - other's you'll have to explore ;) ). I don't think I'll be able to provide a list, but I'll look into it. I do have a document which lists exactly where I put every single spawner to keep myself organized... of course, this list itself I won't release to the public. Half the fun will be trying to locate some stuff.

But, if you're yearning to build for the town. Please do check out the Builder's Thread (HERE), and see if there is something you'd like to contribute. The more people that build, the quicker I'll get to finish up this town.

Thanks for you answer.

I would like to build, but I am not that good of a builder. I don't think people will like my houses. I will just wait until your finished. I am glad your back. I always liked this world.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    startspring:
    Thanks. And it's so nice to see you're still around too.

I'd love for you to build some more. Been very impressed with everything you've submitted so far. As long as you don't use any Ambitions objects it shouldn't be a problem with compatability. Patterns might be a bit tricky... do they have the little icons to show which expansion pack they're from? Either way, I always look through each house, so if I find something in what you build that looks suspicious I'll just post a picture and you can advice me on what you want me to change if needed.

I'll go ahead and book 124 Iranon St. for you over in the Builder's Thread. Anything that's got a bit of a city feel to it will be wonderful.

DutchySim:
    That's ok. I'll try to get this world finished in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm itchin to start playing it myself :)

Glad you like what you've seen so far.
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    out of curiosity, when you first made this world did you have it all planned out from the start ? or did it ideas come to you while working on it

iv just gotten back to my world now, been a very early morning :( oh!

iv got a little surprise planned for a few people in my world, and i shall add you to z'list of people to surprise ;)
    i know i wasn't very active here when you first started making the world, but seeing the updates and your progress on it, sort of inspired me

i just got to get past the sculpting the surrounding mountains part now, oh iv changed them many times

glad your back and well :) looking forward to updates :D

also to add to that, are there any available lots you wouldn't mind me doing ?
    oh sleeping in the day time is not good :cry: feel all confused
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    I love overlook bay, the different areas of the world are great, i will definitely be downloading this when it's finished. I have a few questions:

What Expansion/Stuff packs do you have?
    How many lots are in the world?
    What are ur computer specs?
    Any ideas when it will be complete?

:) Love the world, glad to see ur back :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hi Lee and everyone else. I finished the bar but the launcher is cranky as usual :evil: I will post a link as soon as the **** thing start working again. Here's a few pics as we wait:

Exterior

Screenshot-139-1.jpg

Sitting Area

Screenshot-140-1.jpg

The Bar

Screenshot-141-1.jpg

Dance Floor (Bad picture I know..)

Screenshot-142-2.jpg

Kitchen

Screenshot-143-1.jpg

The nectar in the racks comes with various quality and yes, you can taste it :P

Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2909085
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    Ooh - I love surprises! :) I'll certainly be interested in checking out your world when it's done.

As for planning... well, I had the general idea of what I wanted to do when I started out. I knew I wanted to make different areas that were very specific in nature and architecture. As I plan to play my serious career game (generations) in this town I wanted to have variety so it didn't get boring. After that I just made the map, pieced together from different parts of the world that meant something to me... parts of home town area, Florida Space Coast where I used to live, some Grand Canyon (yes, the mountains are from a part of the canyon), specific rivers and lakes...

After that I just started placing streets, and had a little map where I had drawn the general idea of the layout. Farmland here, Downtown here...

Oh, and if you're looking to help build something - that would be greatly appreciated. Check out the Builder's Thread and choose anything that's available - just let me know which one you're working on. Please do build in the Build Template as well, so you know it will fit perfectly where intended.

Builder's Thread can be found HERE.

TristanrulesCSI:
    Welcome to Overlook Bay, Tristan! Glad you like what you see.

The varying areas was part of the whole inspiration for this town, so I'm glad to hear you like that. Hope it can live up to expectations once released.

To answer your questions:

Expansion Packs - I only have World Adventures currently. I have bought High-End Loft stuff pack as well, but never installed it since I don't allow those items in building... and I don't want to be tempted. So I'll install that as soon as I'm done with the world, and providing The Sims 3 doesn't get on my nerves again, I'll probably buy a copy of Ambitions before I begin my serious game in Overlook Bay.

Lots - there are 168 lots in Overlook Bay.

Computer Specs - A P4 3,4Ghz, 2G RAM and NVidia GForce 6600 (Yeah, I am in desperate need of an upgrade)

Complete? - Well, as quickly as I can get it done. I would like to start playing in Overlook Bay like right now :) But, I don't want to rush things and get a half-decent release. I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks or three.

startspring:
    You know - it's so great to have you back! Always high quality stuff! Really like what I see in those pictures, and I note that you've gotten it uploaded as well. Will download and place in game next time I load it up (just closed it down, and I'm done for the day). But, knowing you, there won't be any issues with it, so if you're still feeling like building... go ahead and reserve a new lot.

The interiors, in particular, look very inviting to me. It's one of those times when I really want to start playing. I can just picture my Sims mingling at the bar there, or seated at the tables grabbing a meal. Though I sadly suspect that Late Night will NOT allow us to build restaurants again... but, I still hope so, because strangely enough that has always been one of my favorite things to do in Sims 1 and 2.

Again, thanks for all your hard work to help make Overlook Bay a special place!

Starting a new "series" today, that I will be updating every few days until this world is ready for release. happyjme suggested in the Builder's Thread that I post some teaser pictures of the town, and I thought that was a great idea. It became clear to me that only I really know what the end result is, as all pictures you've seen have only been of one lot, mostly. Also, the Build Template you guys are working on doesn't have a lot of the things that make a town come to life - like streetlights, signs and a few other things.

So, in the first Update of Pictures, I have decided to show off a couple of finished areas in a slightly larger scale. I don't want to show too much with these preview pictures, as I want you guys to have fun exploring when you download and play it, but some appetizers are always a good thing to spark interest.

These pictures will always be updated in the OP of this thread as well, in case you miss the page they are posted on!

I will also be commenting on the pictures a little bit... some trivia if you will... just because I feel like it.

TEASER PICS (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Updated: Aug 12, 2010

33muaef.jpg
    This will become the official picture to represent Overlook Bay. I will add the Overlook Bay logo to this and it will be the first picture new viewers will come across. Always knew it would be a picture from The Overlook, looking down upon the town, as that is really what the whole idea behind Overlook Bay was all about. Hope it is eyecatching enough for you guys!

dph99w.jpg
    Suburban Living! Many thanks goes to Sookielee who built all of them beautiful houses down there. It wasn't until I had been building this town for some time that it hit me... "I need a suburban street!" Something like Desperate Housewives. The name of the street became Elm Lane. "Lane" because Desperate Housewives was the inspiration (Wysteria Lane) and "Elm" for the other infamous suburban street Elm Street. So in the end, it becomes the perfect mix of Horror and Family entertainment! And, of course, I put a large elm tree at the end of the street.

11w7mus.jpg
    Originally I was looking for all Victorian homes along this stretch of road. But, thanks to the community (and in this case Happyjme) I feel I got an even better look here. Happyjme was the one to suggest townhouses (NY Brownstones) originally, and I really liked the idea. He built these for me, and they are spectacular!

dw4zex.jpg
    Florida Style! I used to live in Florida, and I want to move back there so bad. Currently I can't go anywhere... except in the Sims I can live anywhere I wish! So, I wanted a Central Florida like area in my town and it's turned out a beauty. In fact, half of Overlook Bay is built from a map section of the Florida Space Coast area - the dividing river being "Indian River" (which is not really a river, either here or in reality). So this part is actually just below Cape Canaveral... check it out on Google Maps :) Startspring and Merrynutlump have contributed the most here - many thanks!

52gkgi.jpg
    The mainland side of the river was intended to be more like Louisiana inspired. I built a typical Cajun/Seafood restaurant/bar (not pictured here, but this will be the view from it). I believe this part lives up to that mood and feel quite a bit, and I know it looks very pretty and will become a highly sought after area for your sims to live in.

Hope you like'em. The next updates will focus on specific areas... so expect Downtown, Beaches or what not in the next few days.
  • Options
    TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    loving the updated pictures, espically the overlook of the world, i like how so many themes and areas are combined.

:) Cannot wait to play this world. :)

If you dont get ambitions could u leave a couple of empty lots, eg. fire station and salon, hangouts.

Thankyou for quick reply :-)
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    can you post a bird eyes view of the town, i downloaded the build tmeplate and i was wondering what you have added and how it looks with all the houses and stuff in it
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh, i have another question too, have you fixed the bridge??
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *looks at the photos ....

*jaw drops*

wow :shock:

i dont think iv seen pics of your world so full before, :D! oh its looking wonderful! i can imagine just about whatever mood im in for whatever sim i will find a house to match, sometimes im up for a beachy house, others a ol victorian house and so forth, but seems like you've got them all blending in nicely

i shall let you know when my worlds complete, i have it all planned out 8) excited ..
    i seem to be working on it non stop, so taking a break to build you a lot or two would be a good idea for me :) i will check out the thread now

• Options
    edited August 2010
    TristanrulesCSI:
    Glad you like the new pictures. Keep your eye on this thread as I'll be posting some teasers once every few days (no schedule).

As for empty lots... there will be a few on a brand new street. 8 residential lots found there (but you could convert them to community if you want). There is also one close to the Military Base.

And, I always planned this town with future expansions in mind. That's why I have a lot of community lots that are yet not very "functional" in game. For example - the town already has a firehouse, plenty of bars and restaurants. These can either be replaced or upgraded to function properly. I'm sure (or hopeful) that anything you guys want to do will be doable in Overlook Bay.

chris2chris:
    I'll see if I post any birds eye pics. But I can't promise anything. The ones I use in the maps were horror to make as I had to take four different pictures and then modify in photoshop to make them into one. It's a large town.

The bridge? I'm not following you here, because as far as I remember the bridge worked just fine in the Build Template... but I may not remember correctly. Even back before I went on my hiatus I was working on another build template than you guys.

What was the problem with it? (Just so I can check and make sure it's not something that's still there and I've completely missed it).

I assume it is the bridge over to the Military Base? Or is it the long bridge across the river?

drowssap:
    Thanks. Yeah, it was time that I started showing off some pictures that showed a little more of the full scope of the town. I'll keep posting new pictures every now and then until I'm ready to release, so keep your eyes on this thread.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your world (d'you have a thread for it... I shall look). And working on it non-stop... tell me about it :) I spent 10 hours a day on this one last time around... guess that's why the frustration got to me so bad, huh? ;)

I won't be making that mistake again...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dont worry i will be creeping around ;)

and well i do, but im to embarrassed for you to see it atm :oops: i will probably update/tidy it up either tonight or tomorrow then i shall paste you a link, i wont be showing the surprise until just before the release, which hopefully wont be too long, i swore to myself i wont play the sims until this is complete, and i really want to play the sims,

i would imagine the social isolation getting to you too :shock: although im starting to get that :roll: im to involved in my CAW world to participate in the real one just yet :lol:, im definitely spending far to much time at the pc anyway
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Morning! I'm glad you liked the pub :-) It's based on a place in my hometown where I used to hang out a lot when I still lived there.
    I was thinking of giving the King St apartments a go, but what do the other houses on that street look like? I'd like my build to fit the surroundings :P
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    Good to hear it. And, do direct me to your world thread when you're ready, so I can have a peak at it.

By the way - you saw my reply to you in the Builder's Thread, did you? I would still want you to take on one of them other residential lots if you want to. But, if you feel like you need to work on your world, that's very understandable :) I know that once one gets started, it becomes an obsession to get it finished...

startspring:
    I find that often things really come to life when you build based on something out of real life. I also placed it in town now, and I was looking around inside. Sometimes things really turn out great... you know that window seat just by the entry? The view you get out to the street there was really nice :)

Apartments! Yay! I was beginning to think I'd have to leave that lot empty, so I'll be really happy for you to do those. The two sets of apartments are kind of different that are there, but I still felt they worked nicely together. On the opposite side (picture below taken from the roof of them) are some "mock apartments" (empty shells that I used to fill out the small community rabbit holes like the bookstore) in a light brown/beige large brick style.

If you really want to get a feel of it you could download my own "Sunnyside Apartments" set and place on King St. 1412-1416 and then get ellywig's "Porter Apartments" and place on 1410 King St. I could swap places between yours and ellywig's if needed, but the Sunnyside Apartments have to stay where they are since it's a four lot set. You can find them in my profile.

Here is a pic of what it currently looks like... the arrow is where the new apartments would go:
    206ehaa.jpg

I'll go ahead and reserve 1408 King St. for you!
  • Options
    pentameterpentameter Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2010
    I'm not a builder so I can't really help you out with lots, but I just wanted to post really fast to say how glad I am that you've been able to revive this project.

I'm always looking for interesting and well-made worlds and I kept coming back to your thread hoping you'd be able to take up the project again. The updated pictures are great and I'm looking forward to watching your progress as you finish this up. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @ LeeMortis 122 iron street (dont know if i got the name right) is looking good so far, right now i have a modern cafe book store, in one of the buildings (there are three) i wasd thinking about putting a laundramatt in one of the other buildings and then maybe a salon in the other, but since you said not to use ambitions stuff, i dont know if i should, also, starting tomoroww im going on vacation and ii dont know if i can bring my laptop with me, so you might not hear from me for a week but ill be back, ill make a layout of what i have so far and post it ok

-Chris2chris
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    here is the layout, would have taken pictures but i dont have sims 3 with me

sims3.jpg

the cafe book shop has about 3 or 4 floors and the empty ones have about 3
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh my gosh! i broke the page??? what do i do now????? o.O
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    pentameter:
    Thanks. It's nice to see that there is still interest in this world. Looking at the threads here, I've quickly come to understand just how far people have come with the world editor.

Keep checking back for more picture updates!

chris2chris:
    oh my gosh! i broke the page??? what do i do now????? o.O

You take us to a new page, is what you do :D

The layout for your lot look great. Really looking forward to seeing the finished result.

You said you're going on a short vacation? When'll you be back so I can extend your reservation until then.

Oh - and have fun (in the sun?) on your vacation!

Ok... I've finally finished the Graveyard for Overlook Bay. Thought you guys might be interested in a sneak preview of what it looks like...

1dyeu.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    double click your comment in google chrome it will let you edit!

and no i did not see sorry :(, i checked back twice on the thread, but the creative corner moves so fast :shock: i could of sworn your thread used to be here :? did they move it ?

but i would love to work on the lot, i shall get to it right away, i dont want my building skills to get rusty, plus a little break from insane sculpting could be good, iv resorted to trying to paint the heightmap in photoshop, :roll:

i shall get the lot done soon, then back working on the heightmap late tonight,

sorry for the late reply, i only just got in,

oh so sleepy! definitely going to have a lie in tomorrow, i got woken up to a phone call at 8am :(

i commented on the other thread, just in case you miss, which lot would you like me to work on :mrgreen: s'all good id prefer a house but i dont mind
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    Yeah, I saw your comment in the other thread :) Already posted a reply to you there on which lots you can choose. Just let me know when you've decided which one you want, and I'll reserve it for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's one nice cemetary (if you can call those places nice :wink: )Lee. Every update you post makes me feel like a kid outside a toy store, waiting for daddy to open his purse :D
    I have been working on the apartments the entire evening and am about to start decorating, but now I'm off to bed *zzzzz* Night, night.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @ lee, i was thinking about making a flower shop in on of the empty buildings, what are you suggestions?

i could make a clothes shop for ambition users, what ever you think is right, i really like the idea of a flower shop though