Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• Options
    LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2010
    startspring:
    Thanks. I'll see if I want to run a Beta test with a few of you guys for a couple of days before I do the official release. Might be a good idea, to get some more input from other players. However, there isn't much I can do to change things anyway. I can't take it back in CAW and do anything - that would set me back too much, and I just don't have the drive for that. What could be changed would be some lots or families though, so that may be worth a test run before I unleash Overlook Bay to the general public.

I'll get back to you on that :)

PS. The Martial Arts problem has been solved... see below.

jay6754:
    I would love to have you contribute something else for the town - however there are no lots left to be claimed. drowssap submitted hers below, and then I'm waiting on two more which should complete the town. I do have one remaining lot, which is supposed to be a TV-Station or Radio-station type lot. A 64x64 lot on 3 Mortis Rd. I was going to leave that empty, since no one seemed to want to build it, but if you feel inspired I'd be glad to have you do it.

Do you have the Build Template installed? I think that would be preferred since the lot is concrete - if built on a basic flat 64x64 lot with grass, don't terrain paint the ground as it may make things look strange. It would also help you design the lot when you see the surrounding environment (radio tower and satellite dishes surround the lot). Also, I'm hoping to get the release done soon, but if I do the Beta test with happyjme and startspring (and maybe someone else), then you would have a little more time to complete it, as I could add that lot later.

And, yes, your skyscraper is in there. Worked wonderfully, and it really added another dimension to the downtown area when I got a really tall building in there. The thing that blew me away when I first tested it (as I mentioned to you in your thread) was how well it blended in with the lots I already had placed next to it... heck, the brick wall part was practically identical to the adjacent lots.

drowssap:
    Great! I see it's done. And, don't worry about it having taken a little time. Real life does have to take precedence over The Sims... and even Overlook Bay :)

As I went do download, though, it claims that Ambitions is required. Don't know what Ambitions objects you have used, but I'm going to place it in town and have a look around inside and out the house to see if there is anything which looks strange. If not, I'll use the house as is. If I do find something odd, I can replace it with something else, as long as that is alright by you.

UPDATE:
    Alright. The Martial Arts issue has been fixed... although, I have no idea what I did to fix it. Was just one of those things. I tried placing a practice dummy on another community lot first. Went there and learned skill level 1 with my test sim, and he showed off his new belt - no problem.

Ok, I though, lets try the other lot then. So I bulldozed it, and placed it again (whether this was key or not...?). The version I have in the bin is however the exact version that was already in town, as that was the one I had saved. Either way, loaded up the game again and took my test Sim to Ishikawa Martial Arts and worked out. As he gained his skill point and wanted to show off his belt, I was certain it was going to crash on me again... but, no! All of a sudden it worked. Must be that the lot had gotten bugged somehow when I got the first crash, and then that bug sort of remained on the lot. Replacing it must have been what fixed it.

Don't matter, don't care - it works now, and I'm happy :)

Also - I created the final family for my story save, and that was to be a typical suburban family as I felt I needed one to take up residence on Elm Lane.

Hopefully, later on today, I'll be able to give you guys another picture update, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    hey! Glad to hear you got the problem fixed. Sometimes the game just does weird stuff and buggs come up for no reason what so ever. In my family im playing, in Twinbrook, Two of the girls were bugged and they kept getting stuck in random areas of the lot when nothing was in their way to block them. I would keep moving them with moveobjects on and reseting them, but they would move around a little then get stuck somewhere else. So I had to move them to another lot. The third girl still lives there, she never got bugged.
    Strange...
    anyhoo. A thought just came to me about the Elm lane area. It would be so funny if you made a group of families for those houses, all with picture perfect mothers with geeky husbands and spoild kids. All the mothers can have the same personalities. Like the Stepford Wives!!! That would be fantastic!!
    And the bright blue house could be empty for us to move in the normal, unsuspecting family! hehe :)
  • Options
    Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I remember viewing this ages ago, I think it was around xmas, I was impressed then, It's nice to see you have started work on this world again. Looking forward to getting my hands on the end result :shock: .

• Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    i didnt use any ambitions objects, iv even checked over the place like twice, so i assumed it was the textures, but were given them in the update, please let me know if you notice anything odd looking, i might of missed it, but i was so careful not to use ambitions things,
    :cry:

im happy for you to change or replace anything thats necessary for it to fit in with your lovely world :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    happyjme:
    Hehe... like the Stepford Wives concept :) But, what I got there is a little more simple and generic... I generally go for a realistic concept with the families, yet still with a lot of character to them. Sometimes with reference or homage to something that strikes me as funny. Well, I hope you guys will also enjoy the families I'll include in the story save.

And about bugs... yeah, how often they just appear for no reason, and sometimes solve themselves magically. It's odd. It's a good thing when it works out though.

Stw402:
    Thanks. Glad you found it again after my long break from the game. I should, hopefully, be getting it released within the next week.

drowssap:
    Yup. I had a good hard look at the house in game (and I don't have Ambitions), and I couldn't find anything that looked odd or out of place. Could be that it is some pattern or something which is included in the patch as well. Either way - house looked great, and fit the area wonderfully. Thanks for building it!
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    blasted comment just deleted itself

im glad the lot is working fine, really looking forward to downloading this world,

i feel just urgh, fell asleep on the floor, while i was trying to read, i have around 150 more pages left, 4 hours of film, and 1,500 words on statistics, why must i leave things till last min, so dull :(
  • Options
    DenonDenon Posts: 335 New Member
    edited August 2010

:shock: THE BEST WORLD I'VE EVER SEEN. :shock:
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    im done with the lot! :mrgreen: i cant wait for you to see it, ill post pictures in a minuet, and then ill try to upload!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    here a picture

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2qbewr4.jpg "width=600"[/IMG]

34o7cw8.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lee, Im getting bored of Twinbrook. I gotta have Overlook Bay soon!!! :mrgreen::lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    And a beautiful lot it is :) Good thing I've still got a few more days to release this town. Gives you plenty of time to finish up your paperwork, so you'll be free to play Overlook Bay when it's released.

And, hey - do I know about leaving things until the last minute! I'm the champ of procrastination.

Denon:
    Glad you like it! It's nearing completion. I'm excited to release it to all you guys (and gals, of course) out there!

chris2chris:
    Lot looks fantastic. Really like the New Orleans style corner of it. Should fit the area and mood perfectly once I get to place it in town. Great job! No download for me yet, I see, so let me know as soon as you get it up somewhere.

PS. Could you please edit your post and change the image size so it doesn't break the forum page? Here's how to do it (just replace your IMG tag with the one below):
    [IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2qbewr4.jpg "width=600"[/IMG]

happyjme:
    I hear you :) I'm bored with creating the town even - I just want to start playing it... hehe. Got a picture update for you to feast your eyes on for now, and then I'll see what I can do over the weekend. I'm leaning towards offering you and startspring (and maybe one or two more) a BETA testing period before I release it officially. I'll get back to you guys during the weekend on that.

UPDATE:
    Alright! Due to popular demand, I've decided to offer some downtown pictures of Overlook Bay for today's picture update. I had a hard time choosing places to take pictures of, as I don't want to reveal too much, while I still want the pictures to be interesting. Hope you like the ones I decided on (I think I took around 20 pictures...)

TEASER PICS (DOWNTOWN)

Updated: Aug 27, 2010

fnqmgn.jpg
    Here is an overview of the downtown area of Overlook Bay. I wanted a real city feeling somewhere, and I feel it came together quite nicely. Once we get Late Night, we should really be able to make this area come alive.

2z5mc5k.jpg
    View of the City Hall from the bridge in Overlook Park. The City Hall stands in a position that overlooks the whole town - just to remind everyone that the government is close, and that they got an eye on you!

6e2q0i.jpg
    This is part of the "bad area" of downtown. Housing the criminal warehouse and the city dump (not seen in this picture), it isn't very upscale. Church (by happyjme) divides the area towards nicer streets. It's also quite ironic that the run-down part of downtown is where you arrive when driving out of the luxurious Beverly Crossing area.

21eudmo.jpg
    A true city scene during night. This is part of Nort Main St. where you can find some of the small rabbit holes, like the bookstore, spa, restaurant, as well as a bar and the game room. A couple of fun places to hang out with your Sim buddies at night. I like this part of town.

20zbeya.jpg
    And, I'll finish this picture update with almost the same picture that I introduced it... except this time you get the night time view. There is something special about watching a city scene at night...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    this looks really good! im glad you like my building, if you tell me how to upload it ill do it as soon as possible!

and, i was wondering how you did the bleachers...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chris2chris:
    Thanks for fixing the page break :)

The bleachers... actually that is the superb Baseball Park lot by ehaught58 that you see in those pictures. I believe, without going back into game to check it out, that he used stairs to create the bleachers. Either way, it is a wonderful lot, and I knew when I was designing the whole town that I wanted the baseball park adjacent to the school. (Of course, I'm a huge baseball fan)

To upload the lot you made (still having problems with the launcher, I suppose) you can use this link:

http://www.filefront.com/upload.php

Then click "Select File & Begin Upload", browse to the Sims3Pack file of your house on your computer and upload it. The link will be listed there once the upload is complete... just copy the link and post it for me here so I can get it.
  • Options
    TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    thanks for uploading the new downtown pictures, they look great. I am sure Late night will make downtown even better. Cannot wait to play this

:) Thanks :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh, by the way the lot is currently named the Red velvet cafe and bookshop, you can change it if you like though.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TristanrulesCSI:
    You're welcome :)

chris2chris:
    No I like the name... very Lynchian (Blue Velvet, and red curtains...). However, the link doesn't work for me. When I try to download the file, an error page comes up instead of the download... maybe Filefront is messing with me. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    :( i knew somthing was going to go wrong, this is my first time uploading anything i rreally hope it works
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i changed the link, so this one may work, i dont know, hope it dose
  • Options
    mountfijimountfiji Posts: 10
    edited August 2010
    OMG Lee is back?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    This makes me insanely happy lol :D

I wanted to build some lots for you, Lee, but it looks like everything is reserved that needed building?! :(

Love all the new pics, it's coming along wonderfully! Can't wait to download and get all my little simmies in here :D

If you do need some more lots built that I didn't see before, I would love to help and be apart of this amazing project!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lol, i was just testing the game and building a few lots when i checked on my sim and found her taking a nap on a bench halfway hangig off the cliff!

2hr077t.jpg

"push":twisted:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    LeeMortis wrote:
    It's also quite ironic that the run-down part of downtown is where you arrive when driving out of the luxurious Beverly Crossing area
    LOL That is actually pretty realistic if you ask me. Both Baltimore where I used to live and New Haven are like that!! hehe
    The pics look great by the way. Thanks for posting them :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mountfiji:
    Thanks. Yeah, all the lots that are required are taken by now. Just waiting on merrynutlump to submit his mountain house and everything will be about ready to go. I still have a TV-Station type lot for 3 Mortis Rd. that no one seems to want, which I decided to leave empty... but if you want to throw something together in a couple of days I may be able to include it in the official release.

Hope you'll enjoy the town when released. I'm excited to finally get it out there and see what you all think when you get to play it.

chris2chris:
    Finally managed to get hold of your lot. Wasn't the link itself that you posted that was the problem, but it was my IExplorer that was giving me fits last night. It refused to try to download the Sims3Pack file, and instead tried to open it as a web page. When I chose to cancel that action, then I couldn't get back to try to download. I fired up Firefox instead, and that did the job.

Upon installing, though, it seems you have used some Ambitions objects. From my looking on the lot you must've used Ambitions tables and chairs inside the Café (and outside). Looking at the picture you submitted, I see some tables that I don't recognize - little round ones, that in my game ended up being long tables for 6... half way into the walls and stuff. I also found about 15 chairs stacked in one single tile right on the very corner of the lot (so that they even were placed partly off the lot area). Those stacked chairs I deleted, and I'll go ahead and replace the chairs and tables with something similar to what I see in your preview pics. Hope that's alright with you.

In addition, I added two parking spaces to the back area by the dumpster. No changes or anything, I just plopped down the parking space object where it seemed (to me) that it was designed to look like a parking area for employees or something. It was a perfect fit for two spaces.

I can post pictures later of my changes if you want to OK them...

Also - I didn't get any Name or Description with the lot I installed. The name was Red Velvet Café & Bookshop, I know, but if you want a particular description for the lot, please post here so I can add that.

Those issues aside... the lot is stunning. Great job on this one, and it will certainly be a fun place to hang out with my Sims.

Oh, and what's that bench on the edge of a cliff? I don't have that in the game, I hope? Where, exactly did you see this... was it on the Overlook lot (seems to be further off, where you're not supposed to be able to go at all... I think I hadn't fixed the routing issues in the Build Template, right?)

happyjme:
    Hehe... ok - that's good then. Yeah, I've seen places like that myself, but I thought it would be more rare than it apparently it is. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Also - I'll be working on putting things together for release today; at least for a Beta Version that I'd like to offer you and startspring to play a couple of days before I finalize the deal and upload it for everyone to enjoy. There will be a couple of specific issues I want you guys to look at, and of course anything you guys find should be reported to me. Hopefully there won't be any major issues, so I can get this town released quickly and get on with playing The Sims 3 for the first time since it's release... hehe... well, I did play for a short while in Sunset Valley, but could never really get into it when the town wasn't my own like it had been in The Sims 2.

I'll post more information about BETA testing later today when I know if I can finish putting it together during the day.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh...i added that bench :twisted: it wasnt already there, i was just playing around with some lots and i accidently placed a bench hanging off the overlook, lol

i dont know if you already know this or not but, when i told my sim to "visit the overlook" they cut through the path and ran on the mountain? :shock: so i dont know ir you forgot to add the routing or something

and about the lot, its fine with me to change whatever you like, the walls, the furniture, and actuallly i was going to put a parking space in that little area, but i forgot :? so im glad you did. and i just remembered those little cafe tables are from the store, as well as some ivy i put on the walls of the lounge place.

thx for the feedback, and if you dont mind i would like to see how my lot fits in with the others

-Chris2Chris
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chris2chris:
    Thanks. Good to know. I don't have any pictures available right now, and I'm not starting up the game anymore tonight. I'll see if I can get a picture up here for you tomorrow. It fit in very nicely next to happyjme's quite similar lot (in that they both are made up of more than one house).

And, don't worry about the path finding. The Build Template you guys have doesn't have any routing done to it. I've worked on that a lot, and you'll find your Sims taking realistic paths to most places.

QUESTION:
    Is it just me or has the forums been acting crazy the past few days? Most of the time I try to read these threads, I'm greeted by a blank white screen. I can view the forums just fine... the topic pages... but if I click on any specific thread to read them... I get a blank white page with no nothing on it...

Frustrating...

BREAKING NEWS!!!

I am looking for two or three BETA testers for this world! Hopefully I'll be able to send a copy to the selected few tomorrow. If you want to be a BETA tester, just send me an e-mail at the address below.

Note: I will prioritize those who have contributed to building Overlook Bay. The more they've built, the higher their priority. I already know that happyjme and startspring both expressed their willingness to beta test, so they are top of my list. Please do send me an e-mail, so I can send you guys a link to the BETA without displaying it all over the forums :)

Send to:
    leemortis [AT] hotmail [DOT] com

that's right...

leemortis at hotmail dot com!

Getting this show on the road... finally!