March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Overlook Bay - WIP [Updated Aug 31, 2010 - BETA testing resumed!]

Comments

• TristanrulesCSITristanrulesCSI Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Hi Lee

I just sent u an email about the beta testing, my email address (tristandhome@aol.co.uk) I would be glad to test this world

Thanks
  • CBroxCBrox Posts: 415 Member
    edited August 2010
    Sent an email about testing your world Lee, really love how its coming along and can't wait till it finished! :)
  • happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    finally the forums are working again! I was having the same issue.
    I will send you and email as well.
  • LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, you guys!

I'll get back to you tomorrow as soon as I can. I meant to get the BETA out to you today, but I have to go out and won't be back until late. But, I'll get on it as quickly as I can tomorrow, and let you know which of you will be getting the chance to BETA test!
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    i would love to test :( but i wouldnt be of much use, until this blasted essay is done, will have to be done by the 1st, thats the cut off data, be so glad when i switch to health science, sociology has got to be the most depressing subject on earth

i cant wait till i can have a proper good explore ... so many ideas ...
  • startspringstartspring Posts: 639 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hi people/Lee!

I would love to beta test the world but I cought this stupid cold and I have been bedridden for 2 days now with fever and this "adorable" cough :evil: I can barely sit up straight so there is just no point in me trying to test anything. I'll look forward to the release instead :-)
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    I fully understand... gotta stay on top of them studies. Get the work done so you're ready for full release :)

startspring:
    Sorry to hear it... get well soon! Hopefully I'll be able to release it by the end of this week, so you should have time to get better and ready to play.

UPDATE:

No further BETA testers required. I've got it sent out to a select few, and will now look forward to hearing what they have to say, and fix whatever issues they may find.

This is... once I figure out what the heck happened to my game. As I cleared out a couple of CC files that were causing trouble (I though) my game has been completely messed up. As I loaded up Overlook Bay there was a red hue on the entire screen... I was worried my town was messed up, so I started a new game in Riverview just to check things out... and there I couldn't even see the town at all. Everything pitch black, except those little icons which shows where the lots are.

CAS worked fine, though...

Maybe I'll have to do a complete re-install, unless I can figure out what is wrong...
    edited August 2010
    UPDATE:

Well, I haven't gotten anything done on Overlook Bay today, but the good news is that I got my game to function properly again.

I've had some initial feedback from the BETA testers, and there are a couple of issues that have been raised. I'm looking into these as we speak. One thing has come to my attention that worries me, but hopefully there is a quick fix for that as well. Anything else has been minor and should be quick-fixes, no doubt.

I'll see if I can provide a picture update tomorrow or something to keep the rest of you calm while you wait for the official release.

Overall, though, you might be interested to know that BETA testers appear to be pleased with what they see so far.

EDIT:

Ooops...! With everything going on, I've completely forgotten something quite important!

I went about collecting links for all the submitted lots yesterday, so I could compile a list from which people could find and replace lots in town if needed (especially to get the correct textures).

There were a few houses that are no longer available on the exchange or elsewhere (that I could find), so I need you guys to provide new links for those. The complete list of lots I'm missing links for is:

nkuhlwind:
    Executive Fortress
    Dragon Bike Shop

SimCrazed32:
    Tofunda of Overlook Bay

happyjme:
    NeoGrec Brownstone

startspring:
    Mist Mountain 1
    Riverside 3
    Riverside 5

Valana:
    Overlook Beach
    River House

babygirl1114:
    Bachelor Cabin
    River Cottage

kattenij:
    W.T.C. Hatchery & Garden
    Beach Lot

merrynutlump:
    Hayatias Villa
    Rosamar Villa
    Elmando Villa

Please re-upload these and give me the links so I can complete the official Lot List!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2010
    UPDATE AUG 31, 2010

RELEASE DELAYED!!!

I'm sorry to say that some issues have come up during BETA testing of Overlook Bay that forces me to delay my planned release of town. Apparently some CC come with some of the lots in town (despite explicitly stating in rules that no CC was allowed), and it installs with the town. It also appears that among this Custom Content there is a bugged file, which is causing the game to crash more than usual (which might explain the problems I've suffered the whole time I've been building).

This is not something I want to release to the public, and because of that I am forced to clear all lots from the CAW version, and then save that one empty so no CC can possibly be saved with it. Then I'll have to re-add every single lot into town, as well as redo all the families for Story Save.

This will take me at least a week, I presume, and then I'll want to send the new files out to the BETA testers so that they can confirm that the crashing issues have been solved.

I'm sorry about the delay - but it's for the good of us all!
    edited August 2010
    that bugged file wouldn't happen to of been that evil little doll would it ?
    i avoid CC completely aside from store stuff, but i know it installs with worlds :roll: found that out the hard way, spent a good deal of time removing it
  • DenonDenon Posts: 335 New Member
    edited August 2010

I hate that doll. :evil:
    No problem about waiting. Masterpieces need time to be created. :wink:
    edited August 2010
    No, don't worry - it's not the doll :)

I've quickly cleared the town of all lots in CAW now, and saved a new Sims3Pack file. Now I've got to go into the game and try to salvage as much of the ready made content as possible, without getting the CC again.

Then I'll remove all CC from my game, and rebuild the town. I'll be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if that doesn't get rid of the bad file.

And... good news is that the install file is now 30MB smaller, so that's an indication that it should work.

PS - Hate it when I got important news and it ends up being the last post on a page... reposting my message here:

UPDATE AUG 31, 2010

RELEASE DELAYED!!!

I'm sorry to say that some issues have come up during BETA testing of Overlook Bay that forces me to delay my planned release of town. Apparently some CC come with some of the lots in town (despite explicitly stating in rules that no CC was allowed), and it installs with the town. It also appears that among this Custom Content there is a bugged file, which is causing the game to crash more than usual (which might explain the problems I've suffered the whole time I've been building).

This is not something I want to release to the public, and because of that I am forced to clear all lots from the CAW version, and then save that one empty so no CC can possibly be saved with it. Then I'll have to re-add every single lot into town, as well as redo all the families for Story Save.

This will take me at least a week, I presume, and then I'll want to send the new files out to the BETA testers so that they can confirm that the crashing issues have been solved.

I'm sorry about the delay - but it's for the good of us all!
  • DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited August 2010
    I want to thank you for not releasing this world with CC. I would rather wait, you did a wonderful job, I am sorry that you are having all of these issues. Keep up the good work.
    edited August 2010
    DarkMirage:
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm sick of CC myself these days. Too risky, and they tend to mess up my game. I'll be on this like a fly on...

Anyway - hope you'll enjoy the town when it's finally released.

QUESTION:

I need some help here!

I've deleted ALL custom content from my Mods folders, deleted all custom content from the launcher's "Installed Content" tab. Yet, I have a LOT of CC still in game when I check Buy and Build mode... all of which I most certainly did not install.

So, I need to know where I can find this "hidden" CC and purge my game of it all. I've had it with CC, and I want to get rid of everything except for a few select patterns, awesomemod and a couple of other proven mods that I feel I can trust (and that make my game so much more enjoyable).

But, objects - they got to go! But, I can't find them anywhere...

I don't really want to do a complete re-install of the game, because I wouldn't know what to back up to make sure I don't lose my entire Overlook Bay town and it's inhabitants... lots of CAS job done and saved, and I don't want to lose those.

Help would be greatly appreciated, because I don't want to continue building Overlook Bay, until I am completely free of any CC in game.
    edited August 2010
    apparently ..deleting or moving whole sims3 folder in my documents will cause another one to create itself there, without the downloads, i was told to do it by customer services, and it deleted all my downloads, but another blank folder appears, but dont delete the CAW folder whatever you do

though i would re-search others options first, or double check with someone if im right on this one, its a while since i did it, im currently having to re-install the sims after my pc format, which caused me to lose my essay which is due in tomora :shock: thank god for my written draft, cant beat good ol pencil and paper
  • jay6754jay6754 Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hiy

Come and look at how big my world is
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/525/203564.page
  • chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited August 2010
    :( i feel soo sorry for you and everyone that was looking forward to overlook bay i just know that you can build it even BETTER than it was before! if theres anyway that i can help i will try, like building another lot or somthing, i have the build template still
    edited August 2010
    drowssap:
    Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I can't even describe how much I hate CC right now. It's always been one of the most fun things about Sims, but in Sims3 they really managed to ruin the enjoyment of the whole experience. CC ends up in the cache, in folders designed by the community, and in a launcher that has absolutely no sorting functions or speed to it. It's plain horror. And, as my recent discovery has shown - there is no friggin' way to get rid of CC which has decided to hide inside the DCCache file.

I mean - that's just plain stupid. They KNOW that the Sims game has always been a massive success thanks to CC - but now they want to prevent people for using it so they can sell their crap for ridiculous sums of money in the Store...

...end rant. My game is now completely free of any CC, except for a couple of patterns I made myself, and know I can trust.

Hey, hope you get your essay back in order on time!

jay6754:
    Thanks... I'll check it out!

chris2chris:
    Yep, this is a major setback. But, at least I'm not where I was last time when I gave up on the game. I'm mighty P.O.'d, but now I've made the decision that no friggin' CC goes in my game ever again, unless I know perfectly well what it is and where it's going. My (excessive) CC days are over.

I'll be redoing a lot of work on Overlook Bay - and I hope you're right, that it becomes even better. At least this gives me a chance to correct some things I wasn't completely happy with.

PROGRESS REPORT:

Ok - I've managed to purify my game. There is absolutely NO CC anywhere to be found, with the exception of a couple of hairs and clothing items that I know work perfectly, and I know where they are so I can get rid of them any time I so please. And, of course, my own patterns that I made.

The most irritating thing is that I hadn't installed any of this CC myself. I didn't want to get any objects in the Sims3, because I didn't want to mistakenly put anything into a lot I built for Overlook Bay... so I'm quite surprised that these things got in there.

I know I even used one of those objects myself, thinking it came as a Free Store Item...

Anyway - here's what's going to happen:

I've managed to recover an old backup save of Overlook Bay from before I attempted to add any lots, which is what was causing the install to add CC to people's game. I tried using the finished one, and deleted all lots thinking that would get rid of the problem... but, oh no - as soon as I installed a clean version of Overlook Bay, the CC was back (thank the Lord I had made a backup copy of my pristine DCCache files).

So, I went back into CAW, and if you wouldn't believe my luck - the one back up save I had from right before I started adding lots had become corrupt, and couldn't be loaded into CAW at all.

Because of this, I have now reverted to an earlier backup, which is ALMOST complete. There are a few things missing from this version and some landscaping and decor missing, so there are quite a few things I'll have to do over. But, my game seems much more co-operative now that stupid CC is gone, so I hope this can be done in a couple of days.

Now - I'll take this opportunity to do some minor changes that I feel the town would benefit from. I'll be adding a few more lots to the downtown area, now that we all long to get our hands on Late Night - not too many, just a couple more to make the place a little more crowded... and those lots will probably be empty in the release versions Save File, so you'll have to build your own entertainment venues there.

I'm also considering adding a couple more streets somewhere with no lots attached, so people can use the Lot Tool in game and add their own lots in any size they would like... not sure where such streets would fit in, so it's not a given that I will.

In addition to that... I'm going to add some brand new surprise in there that neither BETA tester, nor BUILD TEMPLATE owner would have ever seen before.

So, wish me luck - and I'll keep you all updated.
    edited September 2010
    EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!

I'm calling out to ALL of you people who have helped build for Overlook Bay!

Because of my recent problems, and clearing my game of any CC there may be some problems with some of your lots. Mostly this would be related to patterns.

So if you have built a lot for the town, and used ANY kind of CC - patterns, objects, build stuff... I would really like it if you could revise your lot and replace with DEFAULT GAME STUFF ONLY. That means Base Game, Riverview and World Adventures stuff only.

There are a couple of you that I know have used a lot of custom patterns for example. And all your houses show up totally white in my game now.

Post here if you are willing to make the changes, or if you can't and need me or someone else to do the work for you (and I can't do'em all), or if I should look for replacement lots for the house. I would in the latter case offer your original build as alternatives for people who don't mind CC in their game... but I'm done with it.
    edited September 2010
    Hello guys! while we wait for Overlook Bay to be released, Ive uploaded a story on my simspage showcaseing some of my lots that are featured in the town. I hope you guys enjoy the sneek peeks!

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=256104
    edited September 2010
    happyjme:
    Thanks. You know I love your houses :) I recommend people have a look at his pictures.

UPDATE:
    Things are going good. I'm currently in the process of setting up the Story Save again, and should be done with that tomorrow or Saturday. So, in a couple of days we'll be back to BETA testing (which should only be a day or so, to make sure that the new version doesn't introduce any new issues).

So, let's hope for a release during next week.

Oh, and what do you think of my new avatar? ;) Yeah, there's a reason I changed it...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2010
    Hey lee i like the new look. Its very ghostly! Ive thought about changing my avitar but it looks just like me and ive become attached. And i dont think people would know who i was!
    edited September 2010
    happyjme:
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. It feels a little odd to not see Paul Mach's face on my posts any more. Logging on today and seeing the new avatar almost made me go "who's that?"...
  • syg1523syg1523 Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2010
    OH MY GOSH-A-ROONIE!
    I love this world you made! It's so fabulously well planned. I creating a story and pretty soon depending on how popular it will be, it will be made into a machinima. The world you created would be the perfect backdrop to my story because you've actually added a city-like feel to it and I soooo need a world like that for this story. When you are finished with it, would it be possible for me to use this in my story? I promise to name you in the credits and thanks yous!
    :mrgreen:
    edited September 2010
    syg1523:
    Of course you may! I would be honored if you use my town in your Story. Just make sure you post a note in my release thread, so I know where to find it. I wouldn't want to miss reading it.

Fact is, I'm hoping for many stories to take place in town, so I can see what other people do and experience in town. That's half the fun of creating a town like this.

Glad you like it... and speaking of Story - I offer some preview pics of the Story Mode families included in the Overlook Bay release below.

UPDATE:

Ok - BETA testing is back on, and providing nothing more is found that requires changes, I should be able to release the town to you during the coming week.

With all that's been going on, and me adding all those families to the Story Save of Overlook Bay, I decided to take some pictures of the Sims you may encounter should you use the Story Save provided with the town (which I hope many of you will do).

I had a hard time deciding which Families to feature, so I ended up choosing most of the ones I had taken pictures of... there are still many more Sims to encounter in Overlook Bay, though. A good 10 families represented below... all of them created by myself. Hope you'll like'em!

TEASER PICS (STORY MODE FAMILIES)

Updated: Sep 4, 2010

kdvr6x.jpg
    I'll start you off with the Mayor of Overlook Bay. Ralph Aldredge and his family. He's got a wife and two kids, and living with the Aldredge family is Marcus Carmichael - their bodyguard.

281aefd.jpg
    Meet the Gruber's! I created them specifically for life in Overlook Bay's trailer park. Genuine "trailer trash" couple, and I personally really like them a lot.

156ra4m.jpg
    The Hildebrand's. Wealthiest family in all of town. Founders of Hildebrand & Son Trading Corp. (Business towers), they are swimming in cash and they got the snobby attitude to go with it. This is Robert Jr. and his family - and next door lives his father Robert Sr. with wife.

21oplah.jpg
    The Rensi family was created a while back, and what I wanted to do here was to create a family with very diverse ethnical backgrounds. Efrem Rensi, head of the family, is a world renowned surgeon, while his asian wife, Jialing, is a fitness specialist. The kids are all adopted... giving us a wide ethnic variety.

10qki6s.jpg
    One of my personal favorites - Crazy Train! Crazy Train is the name of a rock band. The skinny dude is their number 1 fan, Jimmy Rothenberg, and he's happy to house the rock'n'rollers in his house... what he didn't know, though, is that their constant partying and loud music would make his life hell.

2q84rqe.jpg
    Here are the Rogaways, a family I created specifically for the suburban Elm Lane area. They are your typical suburban family - friendly and pleasant to be around... however - there seems to be something wrong with their youngest son.

j81l77.jpg
    General Tim Schlichter and his much younger "trophy wife", Fiona. It seemed a great idea to have a young pretty wife, but he certainly never wanted her to go and get pregnant... Tim hates kids! If the kid had at least been a boy, he could have tought him to be a great soldier some day... but it's a baby girl!

5xncqs.jpg
    Surfer Girls. With all the available beach in Overlook Bay, I had to create some beach bunnies. I wasn't going to use any CC anywhere, but as you can see the Surfer Girls hair and parts of their clothing will be using it. You will be able to download all families for Overlook Bay in my Studio, so you can see what's been used from the store on some of them.

w6p7hh.jpg
    The Rundle's were inspired from World Adventures expansion pack. Representing that I wanted a couple of travellers. I opted for the Tourist look on them, and I do enjoy their matching clothes. John is more into fishing and photographing on their travels, while May just likes to relax on the beach, or by the hotel pool.

2vxrp7k.jpg
    And, finally, I give you the Delplanque family. This is the Overlook Bay maffia... if the maffia were French. They control all criminal activity in the town, so you'll be seeing those guys if you aspire to become a thug. Grandma Delplanque is the head of the family since the passing of Grandpa. Jean-Pierre (holding the toddler) will be the successor, while his younger brother Pascal is a bit hot-headed and careless.
    PS. This picture not taken in Overlook Bay. I really liked the composition of the family members in this picture and figured I couldn't set them up this nicely again... Grandma Delplanque really looks menacing somehow in this one...