Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Terra wrote: »
    I have another question, @SimGuruEugi. Are there any technical reasons that Sims' favourites - music, colour, and food - were removed from TS4? My Sims seem to only autonomously listen to the same station (Alternative) and I miss giving them favourites. But is there some technical limitation of TS4 that would stop this happening? I feel like it would be easy to add back with Hidden Traits...

No technical reason. It was just not a feature we did for TS4. Favorite color was always weird. Did it actually do something in TS3?
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Curious since this was mentioned in Activity I think. Were room environments toned down to make the room traits more effective with the new EP?

I think I might've been the one to ask that in activity, or maybe a few of us did, but yes I'd like to know this as well. :) have they diminished or am I imagining it?
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I have another question, @SimGuruEugi. Are there any technical reasons that Sims' favourites - music, colour, and food - were removed from TS4? My Sims seem to only autonomously listen to the same station (Alternative) and I miss giving them favourites. But is there some technical limitation of TS4 that would stop this happening? I feel like it would be easy to add back with Hidden Traits...

No technical reason. It was just not a feature we did for TS4. Favorite color was always weird. Did it actually do something in TS3?

I was never quite sure with the colour, but the other preferences seemed to give moodlets
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I went back and answered some of the technical questions. I might have missed some.

For City Living gameplay questions, check out this thread for a list of answers. Like I said above, I didn't work on the pack so I don't want to be providing incorrect information :)
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member

It didn't, but sims got moodlets and sometimes other little animations for other favorites (like clapping when eating their favorite food). Even if they didn't do anything though it'd help make the sims a bit more unique, for me at least.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2016
    @SimGuruEugi I understand the lots are not manipulable after a save-game because they are part of the my own game. But... and the public areas of the world? The areas that are off the lot, you can add things or modify them?

I've seen two changes of worlds happen before my eyes in a save-game that I have since the game was released. Can you tell me about this? I did a post with pictures, a few months, ago showing what were the changes that affected my original current save-game that I play since september 2014

You can see the images here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14975194/#Comment_14975194

So, I double checked with our technical director, and it appears we have made some targeted fixes to world objects (e.g. trash cans) to fix bugs. This is unlike Sims 3, where I believe we never touched the worlds.

However, we still can't modify lots, since those have player placed objects. We have also never added/removed entire lots or neighborhoods from existing worlds.

What about adding new lots to existing worlds? There seems to be a lot of screen space on the maps for various existing worlds, especially Newcrest, where there is say, a picture of a multi-story building instead of a building Sims can use, where a new lot could be placed. I don't understand how placing a new lot on an existing world would mess up saves, since it wouldn't overwrite an existing lot. I am hoping it is possible to add new lots to worlds in this way (though it probably wouldn't work for worlds like Windenburg, which does not have enough free space on the map). Is it possible to add new lots to existing worlds in a patch?
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    @SimGuruEugi I understand the lots are not manipulable after a save-game because they are part of the my own game. But... and the public areas of the world? The areas that are off the lot, you can add things or modify them?

I've seen two changes of worlds happen before my eyes in a save-game that I have since the game was released. Can you tell me about this? I did a post with pictures, a few months, ago showing what were the changes that affected my original current save-game that I play since september 2014

You can see the images here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14975194/#Comment_14975194

So, I double checked with our technical director, and it appears we have made some targeted fixes to world objects (e.g. trash cans) to fix bugs. This is unlike Sims 3, where I believe we never touched the worlds.

However, we still can't modify lots, since those have player placed objects. We have also never added/removed entire lots or neighborhoods from existing worlds.

What about adding new lots to existing worlds? There seems to be a lot of screen space on the maps for various existing worlds, especially Newcrest, where there is say, a picture of a multi-story building instead of a building, where a new lot could be placed. I don't understand how placing a new lot on an existing world would mess up saves, since it wouldn't overwrite an existing lot.

Exactly. Magnolia promenade is another example. There is a huge empty space where a couple of lots could easily fit. Is it not possible to patch in a lot or two for this area or others like it? Was there an original purpose for these areas? They're so empty I'm just curious as to why they're even there
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I went back and answered some of the technical questions. I might have missed some.

For City Living gameplay questions, check out this thread for a list of answers. Like I said above, I didn't work on the pack so I don't want to be providing incorrect information :)

You might've missed my question about the Beloved trait, or I may have missed your answer... some of us are wondering if it has a fix ETA. It hasn't worked right in forever.

Glad to see you back in the saddle here! :)
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

It didn't (except I think Sims with the same favourite colour could talk about it and get a small relationship boost).

If turn-ons and turn-offs make a comeback, it might be worth re-exploring favourite colours, as CAS parts are tagged by colour, IIRC. So Bella Goth for example might be attracted to Sims who wear red. Just something to consider.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    @SimGuruEugi thanks so much for answering the questions, its very interesting. I would also love 'do homework' as an away action.

I noted the patching world restriction but that a few objects were added. I would love to see some more objects (i get they must be BG objects) to the public areas - in particular easels. (loved the placement of those in windenberg).

Is it technically possible to add a personality slider (like in ts2) to the game at this stage?
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @SimGuruEugi - Thanks for answering my question. Asking whether a feature that fleshes out our Sims "did something" is a bit like asking whether there's any point in giving your Sim a unique name. It doesn't affect gameplay but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect how we tell our stories, and when those details are taken away, we often notice because we have one fewer tool to make our Sims unique.

Having said that, while favourite colour isn't one I miss, I do really miss favourite music - as I said before, my Sims in TS4 all seem to have a hidden preference for Alternative or Pop, which they always autonomously listen to but just doesn't match some Sims (and is also really annoying when you're trying to direct the gender of an unborn baby). I've never had a Sim autonomously listen to any other station. It's especially jarring for people who do history challenges or play non-modern Sims. Is this intentional?

Thanks for answering so many questions - I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my previous question though:
    My question is related to one that was asked a few pages back about "away actions" for our Sims. In addition to more actions, such as "Do Homework", I would REALLY love it if our Sims kept all their moodlets and their emotional states when they were off-lot. I often build up my Sims to have the right moodlets before they go to work or school. However, if I then go to a community lot with the Sims who are still at home, their current Emotion disappears and they are labeled as "Fine" unless their needs start to decay, when they switch to "Uncomfortable". It seems unfair that our Sims' work and school performance should be penalized by taking them out of the ideal mood when we take the Sims who stay behind to a community lot. Why don't Sims maintain their Emotional state (except for Uncomfortable) when you are playing other Sims away from the home lot? And could this be fixed?

Also, would it be technically feasible to assign our own Sims to NPC roles? Say, I click on the library and choose to either randomize a Librarian, go into CAS and make one, or pick one of my other Sims in the neighbourhood to fulfill that role. Aside from the very last option, that's exactly how it worked in Sims Medieval. It would give players a lot more control over their neighbourhoods.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited September 2016
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    Plz answer my question:

I noticed that any book or whatever you order from the computer automatically is sent to your sims's inventory. Wouldn't it be a bit more detailed having it placed in the mailbox?

It's for convenience. We used to have it implemented such that you'd actually have to wait for the mailman to deliver it the next day, but people didn't like that!

I'm sure there are some people out there that didn't like it, but obviously there are many people who did like it or the question would not keep coming up periodically.

So my question is, who are the people who didn't like it? Are you mainly referring to the developers and their own preferences? Do you use specifically targeted focus groups and just ask these targeted groups what they like and don't like? And if so, what criteria are you using for your target group selections?

In other words, who's opinions are you basing your decisions upon and how or why do you decide which people to listen to?
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options

You might've missed my question about the Beloved trait, or I may have missed your answer... some of us are wondering if it has a fix ETA. It hasn't worked right in forever.

Glad to see you back in the saddle here! :)

I'm not too familiar with that trait. What's broken with it?
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    Plz answer my question:

I noticed that any book or whatever you order from the computer automatically is sent to your sims's inventory. Wouldn't it be a bit more detailed having it placed in the mailbox?

It's for convenience. We used to have it implemented such that you'd actually have to wait for the mailman to deliver it the next day, but people didn't like that!

WAT! NO!!! Why did you guys do that. :'(
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    Also, would it be technically feasible to assign our own Sims to NPC roles? Say, I click on the library and choose to either randomize a Librarian, go into CAS and make one, or pick one of my other Sims in the neighbourhood to fulfill that role. Aside from the very last option, that's exactly how it worked in Sims Medieval. It would give players a lot more control over their neighbourhoods.

Oooh! Yes! Manually assigning our own sims for npc would be great! I'd also like to know if this is even possible.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member

I have wanted this in my game forever! I have almost 200 playable sims, of all ages and skill levels. I really have no need for NPCs at all, because whatever the role, I am sure I have a sim who could fill it.
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    Plz answer my question:

I like that books and medicine go directly into my sims inventory.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @SimGuruEugi You clearly have never lived up North then...LOL
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I just remembered, why do TS4 beds automatically get made when a sim gets out of bed? I loved having slob sims who kept their beds unmade, and making beds just kind of became a daily routine of most my sims. I miss it.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    Plz answer my question:

I kind of get it. Waiting for the mailman to come the next day could be frustrating or even annoying in some cases.
    But this could have been an opportunity for deeper and more challenging gameplay. When ordering medicines or books your sims can choose between:

- Express delivery: within the next hour. The merchandise is delivered by a package delivery company such as SPS (Sim Parcel Service). Shipping costs: $250

- Normal delivery: next working day. The merchandise is delivered by your mailman. Shipping costs: $50.

This sounds really cool. Also, those prices are insane!

I'm glad you like the idea :) hopefully it can be implemented in some patch or future pack :) Now I think of it, the prices are really insane, but I'd like express delivery to be more expensive so that not every sim can afford it (poor Brandi Broke cannot afford that book+express delivery and will have to wait at least until the day after tomorrow to be promoted).
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    Plz answer my question:

I kind of get it. Waiting for the mailman to come the next day could be frustrating or even annoying in some cases.
    But this could have been an opportunity for deeper and more challenging gameplay. When ordering medicines or books your sims can choose between:

- Express delivery: within the next hour. The merchandise is delivered by a package delivery company such as SPS (Sim Parcel Service). Shipping costs: $250

- Normal delivery: next working day. The merchandise is delivered by your mailman. Shipping costs: $50.

That is cool. Post it in Ideas Corner - I want to "me too" it there, and I'm sure more people would see it!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Plz answer my question:

That is cool. Post it in Ideas Corner - I want to "me too" it there, and I'm sure more people would see it!

I will do :) thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, I have two questions:
    1. Why don't GT closets have a regular Change Outfit option like the dressers or when you click in the sim? It would be nice to have that option added to the game.
    2. Is there a possibilty of ownable cars and garages ever being added to the game one day? It could be an alternative to sims automatically teleporting to go to other lots. Or maybe instead of teleporting, sims could use taxis if they don't own any cars, or use their cars if they do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top