We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
March 1st - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Today in a tweet, a simguru stated something about the shaders being manipulated in the upcoming expansion pack...what does that mean? He used a different word than manipulated sorry.

Is the shaders like the shadows caused by homes and objects? And what is truly being fixed? Thanks.

Do you have a link to the tweet? Do you remember which SimGuru? I'm not too involved in shader development, but it's possible. They always add cool stuff, like the rotating flowers for the Backyard SP.
    Hello,I am not asking about future content, just if it's possible.

In the sims 2 we had a spell that a witch could cast called Tempus Interruptus. It would freeze every sim on the lot that wasnt a witch or spectral familiar. Time would actually stop progressing for a short while until it wore off.

Obviously it wouldve been impossible for sims 3 open world, but with the way sims 4 lots are set up do you think a spell like this would be technically feasible?

If we were to want to do it, I see no reason why we couldn't.
    Next burning question... why was it changed that when you take A sim home, they ALL show up there, instead of being left on whatever other lot they may have been visiting?

I don't mind at all that if a sim is home, and you start from there first, they all show up, that makes sense from a "new day" perspective.

But, if I go to Jacques at Desert Bloom and Max is at Bath De Rille... why if I then take Jacques home, does Max automatically show up too? If I'd wanted him home, there's an OPTION on his icon I could have used for that, if he'd have stayed where he WAS. They used to, they don't now.

That's pretty immersion breaking... @Cinebar for one has posted reams on this one.

I'm interested in why it had to be changed, to tether a family to each other?

Not sure. It could be buggy behavior.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    A lot of players, myself included, find it a nuisance when everywhere you go for your date all the other sims want to come up and chat. Is there any possibility this behaviour can be tweaked so that sims you haven't been introduced to or you don't know past a certain relationship score will ignore you when you're out, unless the player takes the sim to chat to them? Not just on dates but any outing.

The intent should be that... a two person Flirty conversation should turn Awkward if a third Sim joins. We might have to tweak that desire some more, though.

I think that's ok as a gameplay challenge. But if the player makes the effort to take the sim somewhere where they are unlikely to actually meet sims they know well, then the player should be deemed to have risen to that challenge. Certainly if you are somewhere you are good friends with the sims around you then yes, of course you're likely to have your date interrupted by them. So to tune by relationship level would make sense, imho.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    RE Flirty convos turning Awkward:
    Personally I wouldn't want that third Sim to join the conversation at all unless I physically make my Sim talk to them.

Tweaking the autonomy would be ideal. If the third Sim is a good friend of my Sims, then sure. But other than that, they should mind their own business.
    wJbomAo.png
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't want that third Sim to join the conversation at all unless I physically make my Sim talk to them.

Tweaking the autonomy would be ideal. If the third Sim is a good friend of my Sims, then sure. But other than that, they should mind their own business.
    I agree. Townies that you don't even know shoving themselves into your conversations is annoying.
    I can see why a romantic conversation would get awkward with a random third wheel, but it happens way too often. It got to the point where I'd just have dates at home only cause it's impossible to have a two-sim conversation at a bar, lounge, cafe...
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

I agree. Townies that you don't even know shoving themselves into your conversations is annoying.
    I can see why a romantic conversation would get awkward with a random third wheel, but it happens way too often. It got to the point where I'd just have dates at home only cause it's impossible to have a two-sim conversation at a bar, lounge, cafe...

I also agree. Instead of the townie or other random sim inserting themselves into a flirty conversation, why can't they just turn and talk to a different sim on the lot? Private conversations should be able to remain private, even on a public lot. It's what I would prefer.

I'm also frustrated with the "load a household and find every member standing on the sidewalk." I too wish sims would be where they were supposed to be, instead of all standing there like it's a brand new household. I have to turn around and rush sims who are NOW late back to work or school, or send exhausted sims back to bed, etc. It's one of the things (along with culling & decay) that make rotational play not as fun as it could be.
  • YellowOblivionYellowOblivion Posts: 56 Member
    I didn't even see this discussion here!
    so thinking about sims game models and how they're built... that one sims 3 mod where the sims grow an inch or so every night... i mean i know it has constant adjustment of the models which can tax the sims 3 game, but maybe it could be implemented in a way similar to how the pregnancy models change in sims 4 game, like more gradual change to the model. like have the sims 4 sims on a sliding animation bone growth scale, where their animation bones ( so an animated model can have skeletal bones that are attached to the animated...skin let's say, or the model itself, and these skeletal bones move, and you can code it so that when the bones move, so too does the model and not just move in space, but shrink and grow larger) would gradually lengthen over a period of in game hours. like if we could have that as part of some generational or family play, that would be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 amazing, like jeeze louise, that would just add onto the game so much. and then like, to simplify aging you would have certain milestones attached to certain bone lengths, so when like the animation bone that is the spine of a sim 4 sim reaches like 1.5 measurement, it would have a certain milestone alert, like: grow adult teeth, or tall enough for the big rollercoaster! and it could have a randomized sliding scale. so different sims would reach these milestones at different times.

of course this is all based on some vague assumptions i'm making about the sims skeletal models. it could be entirely different, with the models being constantly replaced instead of having one model that grows exponentially throughout the course of the game.
  • UnaUna Posts: 526 Member
    Hello,

Would it be possible for a sim to carry another sim permanently , like jump in arms? And can children be carried too?

Ability to carry your children on hip.

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Another thing with the third wheel in flirty conversations that I see mentioned a lot on the forum - at least give us the option to click on the portrait of a Sim in the conversation panel and X them out of the conversation.
    edited October 2016
    What seems like an unintended side effect for me (even given what SGEugi said above) is that after your dating sims have been forcibly entered into this group chat, and you direct them to do something romantic together, you cancel out the group chat from their queue leaving the romantic social in the queue. But if you cancel the group chat it also cancels the waiting romantic interaction. If you cancel the group chat first, and then set up the romantic interaction, it restarts the group chat. So there kind of *isn't* a way the player can win. It seemed to me that SGEugi was saying this was an intended challenge, yet most challenges have a way to play in order to win the challenge. To me, the most satisfying way for the player is if they can use common sense to play against the challenges, which would or should seem to be to take the sims to a place they're not likely to know other sims, or to sit in another room or further away from the sims they may know etc. All the stuff you'd do by common sense in real life to signal that you wanted some privacy. So this really wants to get just that little bit cleverer. Is there such a thing as distance attenuation of interaction advert in TS4 like there was in previous games?

NB I am not just talking about tweaking this for date situations, but any time you take your sim by himself or in a group somewhere. The player should have a way they can make their sim or sims behave that will make it less likely for him to be involved in a forced group chat, or make it easier to break away from. I seem to remember in TS2 or TS3 you could end a group chat permanently per visit by "goodbye".
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Can you please explain about Sim creation in reference to Sim culling? We have population caps and once reached Sims start to disappear.

I was in the process of bulldozing and creating lots so I wasn't actually even playing. I would go to household management and find that over the course of an hour or two there could be anywhere from 5 to 15 new households created. Would it be possible to have the option to stop new Sims being created by the game so we could actually have only the Sims we want in the game?

Sims are created on demand. As soon as you start your game, no librarian exists, for example. The moment you go to the library, one is created for you. If we didn't do that, venues and other systems wouldn't work properly, since they require Sims to fulfill certain roles.

@SimGuruEugi

Maybe I didn't explain correctly or maybe I misunderstood your answer. I do know that Sims are created as needed...i.e. your Sim walks into a bar so you need a bartender.

This is the situation I'm talking about.

Started a brand new save. Did not create any new Sims. Did not start any new game play but went straight to picking a house to bulldoze. Bulldozed the house, built a new one and deposited a couple of my Sims in it. I did not play these Sims. I went on to repeat these exact same actions again two more times. This took about two hours. I then went to household management to see what Sim I would house next and found that close to 40 Sims had been created by the game. I deleted all these Sims and went back to building.

I then repeated the same actions for about another hour to hour and a half. I had not attempted any kind of game play...just building and depositing Sims....and I went to household management and found another 18 or so Sims created to delete.

So in this session of about 3 and a half hours, NO game play, just building.....the game created close to 60 Sims. It just keeps creating Sims even when not playing.

Interesting... I'm surprised the game created so many. I wonder for what reason. Paging @SimGuruNick to replicate those steps and investigate.

While I rarely get as many extraneous Sims spawned as @PHOEBESMOM601, I get enough to be annoying. Right now, I'm working on a story about 28 Sims, and I'd like to keep other Sims out of it. Before starting a session, I go into Household Management, where there are already 6 households to be deleted. Before sending any of my Sims to a community lot, I'll go into Household Management again, and find 10-12 households that I have to delete. This is before I've done anything requiring a repairman, mixologist, gardener, etc.

There are two annoying things about these households: the first is that the Sims are badly dressed, and this will get worse as we get more stuff packs, etc. You all did get rid of the hot dog suits, for which I'm sure most of us are grateful. I might suggest that you tag these Sims to wear only full body outfits. Their shoes won't match what they're wearing, but at least they won't have ugly top and bottom combinations.

The second is that often they will have the same hair style or the same first or last name as Sims I've created and placed in the game. I don't know what you can do about this, other than to work on spawning in general.

I would love to have two options for Sim spawning in addition to what we have now, which appears to be "add Sims every x minutes of play time." The first would be no Sim spawning. If I send my Sim to a bar, the mixologist will be pulled from Sims currently in the game. Ditto for repairmen, nannies, and insane Sims hanging around the park. The second would be "pull as needed." If none of my Sims in the game are qualified to be repairmen, then I would get a 10-handiness repairman. If none of my Sims are insane, then I would get 2 insane Sims added to the game.

Having these options would reduce the need for culling and the increased relationship decay that are current problems for many players.

• NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited October 2016
    @SimGuruEugi

It would be really nice if "goodbye" was available at all times, and not gated behind an introduction.

If a nosey sim has interrupted my sims private conversation my sim shouldn't have to introduce themselves before saying "Goodbye" to the intruder. I feel like there should be a quicker way of getting rid of that person without having to go thru the formalities of an introduction, the interruptor didn't require an introduction to interrupt so why does my sim need one to stop them? Thats all I am asking for, a little fairness here.

Also, are we gonna get a patch soon for relationship decay at friends or better or same household or anything? Are we going to get a patch soon that addresses relationship culling/retention? I cant play like this without a mod, and as soon as I start using Mods to fix the game, I no longer have any feedback to give or feel that I have anything to contribute since I would be playing with a different game, a modded game. Drastically reduced, despite lack of documentation. Now I am just fighting against autonmous flirty introductions from sims who have no reason to do this (needs full, not flirty, not romantic, not noncommittal, married, family sim, etc). Hooray!
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    I think the game won't be minus a challenge if the sim wasn't auto approached by a sim with a negligible or zero relationship score with your active sim, since the player would have to balance it against wanting a lot of aquaintances for other types of challenge. Actually though come to think of it, *is* there an advantage in the game to having many friends? Maybe there should be if there isn't, then the player can have the juggling of friend needs with privacy on outing needs and so there will still be a challenge to balance them.
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Any ETA on when walkstyles will be fixed? I'd like my kids to stop walking like adults and start walking like kids again :)

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/UNDER-INVESTIGATION-Unusual-walking-animation/m-p/5451405#M27261
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    @cameronw209 Oh yeah, I thought there was something different about the kids walking! I noticed it in my game too. They aren't quite as bouncy and their arms don't seem to swing as much.
    aSE16f8.gif
    @cameronw209 Oh yeah, I thought there was something different about the kids walking! I noticed it in my game too. They aren't quite as bouncy and their arms don't seem to swing as much.

Yeah, their walk has been replaced with the default adult walk. Looks so weird :(
    Silly question maybe but you guys in the last 3 posts don't have that stop silly walks mod in do you?
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi Can you please explain about Sim creation in reference to Sim culling? We have population caps and once reached Sims start to disappear.

I was in the process of bulldozing and creating lots so I wasn't actually even playing. I would go to household management and find that over the course of an hour or two there could be anywhere from 5 to 15 new households created. Would it be possible to have the option to stop new Sims being created by the game so we could actually have only the Sims we want in the game?

Sims are created on demand. As soon as you start your game, no librarian exists, for example. The moment you go to the library, one is created for you. If we didn't do that, venues and other systems wouldn't work properly, since they require Sims to fulfill certain roles.

@SimGuruEugi

Maybe I didn't explain correctly or maybe I misunderstood your answer. I do know that Sims are created as needed...i.e. your Sim walks into a bar so you need a bartender.

Started a brand new save. Did not create any new Sims. Did not start any new game play but went straight to picking a house to bulldoze. Bulldozed the house, built a new one and deposited a couple of my Sims in it. I did not play these Sims. I went on to repeat these exact same actions again two more times. This took about two hours. I then went to household management to see what Sim I would house next and found that close to 40 Sims had been created by the game. I deleted all these Sims and went back to building.

I then repeated the same actions for about another hour to hour and a half. I had not attempted any kind of game play...just building and depositing Sims....and I went to household management and found another 18 or so Sims created to delete.

So in this session of about 3 and a half hours, NO game play, just building.....the game created close to 60 Sims. It just keeps creating Sims even when not playing.

Interesting... I'm surprised the game created so many. I wonder for what reason. Paging @SimGuruNick to replicate those steps and investigate.

While I rarely get as many extraneous Sims spawned as @PHOEBESMOM601, I get enough to be annoying. Right now, I'm working on a story about 28 Sims, and I'd like to keep other Sims out of it. Before starting a session, I go into Household Management, where there are already 6 households to be deleted. Before sending any of my Sims to a community lot, I'll go into Household Management again, and find 10-12 households that I have to delete. This is before I've done anything requiring a repairman, mixologist, gardener, etc.

There are two annoying things about these households: the first is that the Sims are badly dressed, and this will get worse as we get more stuff packs, etc. You all did get rid of the hot dog suits, for which I'm sure most of us are grateful. I might suggest that you tag these Sims to wear only full body outfits. Their shoes won't match what they're wearing, but at least they won't have ugly top and bottom combinations.

The second is that often they will have the same hair style or the same first or last name as Sims I've created and placed in the game. I don't know what you can do about this, other than to work on spawning in general.

I would love to have two options for Sim spawning in addition to what we have now, which appears to be "add Sims every x minutes of play time." The first would be no Sim spawning. If I send my Sim to a bar, the mixologist will be pulled from Sims currently in the game. Ditto for repairmen, nannies, and insane Sims hanging around the park. The second would be "pull as needed." If none of my Sims in the game are qualified to be repairmen, then I would get a 10-handiness repairman. If none of my Sims are insane, then I would get 2 insane Sims added to the game.

Having these options would reduce the need for culling and the increased relationship decay that are current problems for many players.

Yes, these would be great options. I'd also love to be able to designate which of my Sims will be the repairman, maid, mixologist, etc. instead of letting the game randomly pull one. My whole game would be a lot more meaningful.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited October 2016
    Terra wrote: »

@SimGuruEugi

Yes, these would be great options. I'd also love to be able to designate which of my Sims will be the repairman, maid, mixologist, etc. instead of letting the game randomly pull one. My whole game would be a lot more meaningful.

I so agree! I've recreated Ts1/TS2 neighborhoods and I really want to designate Kaylynn Langerak as the maid to be able to fully recreate the Pleasants storyline!!

I'm wondering...maybe if I sight-click on the current made with testing cheats enabled I would be able to edit them in CAS and change the completely (even their name and sex)? I'll have to check this...
    QDog wrote: »

@SimGuruEugi

I so agree! I've recreated Ts1/TS2 neighborhoods and I really want to designate Kaylynn Langerak as the maid to be able to fully recreate the Pleasants storyline!!

I'm wondering...maybe if I sight-click on the current made with testing cheats enabled I would be able to edit them in CAS and change the completely (even their name and sex)? I'll have to check this...

You can do that :) I alter my worker NPCs all the time.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    QDog wrote: »

@SimGuruEugi

You can do that :) I alter my worker NPCs all the time.

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing :) Daniel Pleasant will be happy to see Kaylynn cleaning his house again lol
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member

After writing the above, I went back to work on my story. I was soon provided with a screenshot that illustrates the problem some of us have with NPC spawning.

1f5bdf52-7715-4ef1-90d5-6f0eec895884_zpssb0of8l5.jpg
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    THIS. This thread is AMAZING! Thank you Gurus for taking the time to explain why things are the way they are in the game and for listening :):)
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member

@SimGuruEugi

Yes, I like this idea too. But the way the game is setup only npc's can only have npc's role jobs. So just being able to pick from housed and unhoused npc's to fulfill roles would be nice.

Though to add to this entering their lot to make a few needed changes will not automatically make them loose their npc's role jobs and make them a playable household. A little window would appear on entering a npc's lot, that says make household a playable household yes or no will do just fine.

Also only 3 npc's mixologists, 3 gym trainesr npc's ect. is needed for the game and not 3 different mixologist for every venue that needs a mixologists in the game, ect. This is not an open world game the extra npc's are not needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top