March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elder-Only Traits

TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
A lot of people post on this forum about wanting more unique gameplay for Elders. One way to do this would be for your Sim to acquire a new Trait upon becoming an Elder. People don't stop growing and changing as soon as they hit 20. It would be a great way to distinguish Elder characters and gameplay and give players something to look forward to when their Sims are older.

While it would be great to add it as a full extra Trait slot in CAS, I believe the developers have said that the UI of CAS is difficult to edit. It can be done - we saw it with the gender options - but so far they seem resistant to the idea of adding a new trait slot.

Instead, new reward traits would be unlocked when your Sim becomes an Elder. This would mean that devs didn't have to change the UI in CAS. The more positive traits could be more expensive than the more negative ones, meaning that the way your Sim lived their life would have an impact on what sort of new trait (or traits) they developed as an Elder.

Here are some sample Traits:
* Bitter
* Wise
* Cantankerous
* Wistful
* Youthful
* Relaxed
* Doting

Feel free to add your own ideas of Elder Traits to the thread. :)

Comments

• Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Better knowing, critical, caring for kids.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'd like for that faithful badge to return as well, or maybe "successful lineage" as of a certain number of kids/grandkids, etc. Perhaps some interactions could come with those achievements, i.e. "brag about family" or "give advice about marriage" etc. I really like both of your suggestions as well :) It'd be nice if both teens & elders got a lot more specific traits / interactions / activities / etc. Even if they never add toddlers, I do hope something like Generations could one day come back ..
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    I think it would be interesting if the trait your elder developed was based on which emotional state they were most frequently in. Using your example traits, if your sim was angry most of the time as a young adult/adult, they would develop the cantankerous trait upon reaching the elder life stage.

This would give people more incentive to play around with emotions and use emotion boosting objects.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I think it would be interesting if the trait your elder developed was based on which emotional state they were most frequently in. Using your example traits, if your sim was angry most of the time as a young adult/adult, they would develop the cantankerous trait upon reaching the elder life stage.

This would give people more incentive to play around with emotions and use emotion boosting objects.

Yeah, I really like that idea! My sister said it would be cool to have it be chosen for you based on how they lived their life, and I think that emotions would be a nice concrete way of measuring that. The game already keeps those statistics about your Sim so it would be nice to put some use to them.

@SimTrippy - I agree that we definitely need more to make each age group distinct. :)

@Simsister2004 - I like those, especially "Critical". A trait that I've always wanted for Sims is one like "Nosy" or "Busybody" which could also work for this, though I'd like to have Sims of other age groups have access to those too.
  • YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    oh wow that's a really good idea to add more depth to the elder stage. LOVE IT!

-Yarden.
    Yardenro wrote: »
    oh wow that's a really good idea to add more depth to the elder stage. LOVE IT!

Thank you! The addition of toddler-only traits gives me hope that the team might one day be able to do this for Elders.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I'd kinda like to see a "Senile" trait, or something like it. Maybe they go into long winded spiels (I'd like to see a "Back in my day..." interaction. Would be funny.)
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    A batty trait could be entertaining, just a little bit insane, sometimes childish, sometimes off in their own little world, sometimes they think they're vampires and try to turn into bats...
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I would love like the fun grandparent trait and or the GET OFF MY LAWN kinda traits

I love these ideas !!
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Or, they could just have one elder trait, similar to toddler traits.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
    emmaning wrote: »

Well, I wouldn't want Elder Sims to lose all the traits they had up until that point, so I would prefer a reward trait or extra trait slot.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    emmaning wrote: »

Well, I wouldn't want Elder Sims to lose all the traits they had up until that point, so I would prefer a reward trait or extra trait slot.

Or they could do a special trait per life stage that is only one trait each.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Shybug91Shybug91 Posts: 30 Member

That is actually a really good idea. It makes you work for something you want instead of just getting it. I like it!
    Movotti wrote: »
    A batty trait could be entertaining, just a little bit insane, sometimes childish, sometimes off in their own little world, sometimes they think they're vampires and try to turn into bats...

I really like the idea of a batty trait. It would be super cool if there was an Elder trait linked to each pack, like a Master Herbalist if you had outdoor retreat.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2017
    Reflect on life
    make a will <3
    plan funeral <3
    if they make a pack of some sort they could add antiques to it and the elders could have those
    extra happiness upon acquiring a cat or dog when pets come out
    extra happiness watching tv
    more interacting with grandkids options
    diff types of clothes, hair, glasses, antique looking jewelry
    ailments(several) that cause them to go to the doctor
    wanting to take naps more
    new rocking chairs
    kids ask them to cook them something; need to bake when family is around
    new book called magazine that they love to look at; The star, enquire, ect.= Enquiring Sims
    blue grass or something radio station
    put out the knitting skill and some from S2
    new tv station for them
    babysit for money
    donate time when/if schools come out or could now with this rabbit hole/disappearing system
    read palms
    tell stories of their youth
    give advise

need for depends; potty on self accidently
  • simsonamissionsimsonamission Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="davina1221;c-15576440"]Reflect on life
    make a will <3
    plan funeral <3
    if they make a pack of some sort they could add antiques to it and the elders could have those
    extra happiness upon acquiring a cat or dog when pets come out
    extra happiness watching tv
    more interacting with grandkids options
    diff types of clothes, hair, glasses, antique looking jewelry
    ailments(several) that cause them to go to the doctor
    wanting to take naps more
    new rocking chairs
    kids ask them to cook them something; need to bake when family is around
    new book called magazine that they love to look at; The star, enquire, ect.= Enquiring Sims
    blue grass or something radio station
    put out the knitting skill and some from S2
    new tv station for them
    babysit for money
    donate time when/if schools come out or could now with this rabbit hole/disappearing system
    read palms
    tell stories of their youth
    give advise

need for depends; potty on self accidently
    [/quote]

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME. I feel like elderly people get forgotten a lot both in and out of the game. This would add an entirely new dimension to gameplay. I love it!
  • simsonamissionsimsonamission Posts: 7 New Member
    What about just a new expansion pack in general? Could unlock a retirement home only for elders. New skills, clothes, jobs, items, traits, aspirations, interactions just for elders!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    edited October 2017
    its a good idea but i do not let my sims reach elder stage since i play with aging fully turn off
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @davina1221 - Great ideas!

@simsonamission - It could make an interesting gamepack, maybe not enough for a whole expansion pack. I like how big you're thinking though! :smiley:

It would be great if retired Sims had more options related to their old job! Like a retired cop who listens to the other cops talk on the radio, hoping to bust some baddies on the side. :lol:
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    This is a cool idea. Why not both? There could be one trait that gets added automatically, based on how the sim lived, ANDa few reward traits that were only unlocked for elders? That doesn't seem to hard, considering all the traits that got added for parenthood, and if it's based on mood or something stats already track, you wouldn't even need to add a whole "wheel" thing like they did with that.

I mean, I also wish graves and urns were different depending on household money and points earned at time of death, but this would make the elder stage feel a lot more earned and vibrant.
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree that bringing back tombstones whose design depends on a person's achievement/happiness at time of death would be great for making the Elder lifestage more meaningful. It's too bad though you can't lose aspiration points from having a fear fulfilled like in TS2. I like your idea too of an automatic trait (maybe something like the Parenthood system of childhood values?) and some special reward traits!
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited March 2018
    I really like all these ideas! The elder stage should really be added too. I’ve always felt that you should have the option to change a trait whenever a sim ages up.

For example as a YA your sim is flirty but then they meet their mate and start a family and when they age up to adult they’re no longer flirty, and instead have become family oriented. You should during age up be able to change the trait. No one is hardwired to stay the same their whole life. We change as we grow up and we never stop growing up.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I really like all these ideas! The elder stage should really be added too. I’ve always felt that you should have the option to change a trait whenever a sim ages up.

For example as a YA your sim is flirty but then they meet their mate and start a family and when they age up to adult they’re no longer flirty, and instead have become family oriented. You should during age up be able to change the trait. No one is hardwired to stay the same their whole life. We change as we grow up and we never stop growing up.

um the last stage before dying IS the elder stage
    6adMCGP.gif
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

I was giving that scenario as an example. I think it’d be nice if you could change a trait upon any age up if you want too.

I don’t see why elders should be ignored because it’s the last stage before dying.
    MadameLee wrote: »

I think you misunderstood hmae123's post because of a typo - she meant 'added to', not 'added too'. :smile:

Thanks for your support! We haven't seen much added for Elders in a loooooong time, have we?