Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will oceans be swimable in the vacation GP?

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited December 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    “strong evidence”

Considering we JUST had a beach world, where these items fit perfectly, suggests there is no strong evidence at all.

Strong evidence would be game files leading us to believe that something is coming (like Vampires & Pets).

Getting Christmas items for the Southern Hemisphere as we have a new beach world to play in is not strong evidence.

Also, Tropical is not the theme of these items at all. Summer, beach, yes. But not tropical.

op not the only one that thinks that
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    summer_berrysummer_berry Posts: 105 Member
    Even without much evidence, swimable oceans would be really cool!
    "We make our own future." - Dean Winchester, Supernatural
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    "Strong Evidence" Let's not push this more than it is, it's subtle hints at best.

I agree with @jackjack_k Strong evidence would be finding code like we did for Vampires and Pets.

Sadly, the icons were apparently base game.

To answer your question on swimmable bodies of water, I think they said old worlds wouldn't be able to do it, which is why I was hoping they would put off on giving us any beach worlds until then, but we got Bridleton bay.

It is possible that they coded Brindleton Bay so they can come back to it. Unlike other worlds, the water in BB is actually deep enough to support Swimming, while previously the water was only knee height at best.

Even in Windenburg.

I hope so. Brindleton bay doesn't scream tropical either. I could definitely see it snowing there.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    There are tons of things that would interest me more in a beach vacation GP than swimming in the ocean, like building sandcastles or playing in the sand, relaxing, beach volley or tennis, or even playing in the waves. I don't need that in the old worlds though, so I couldn't care less if they don't make the body of water swimmable in the old worlds.

It doesn't take much to please you does it? I might be more particular and need things older games finally added like swimming in any water in TS2 and TS3. I don't know I'm sort of eccentric that way. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    There are tons of things that would interest me more in a beach vacation GP than swimming in the ocean, like building sandcastles or playing in the sand, relaxing, beach volley or tennis, or even playing in the waves. I don't need that in the old worlds though, so I couldn't care less if they don't make the body of water swimmable in the old worlds.

It doesn't take much to please you does it? I might be more particular and need things older games finally added like swimming in any water in TS2 and TS3. I don't know I'm sort of eccentric that way. :D

My wish list above isn't that long :p But yes, there are other things from older games I don't care about, that's the thing with older things : I had them in my game, I had the opportunity to play with them so if I didn't use them that much in all the years I've playing, odds are I wouldn't be that thrilled about them now either. I may be biased because I rarely swim in the ocean when I go to the beach irl, so there's that too.

But that makes room from some new things I'd like to see ! (or some of the new things at least :D)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

My wish list above isn't that long :p But yes, there are other things from older games I don't care about, that's the thing with older things : I had them in my game, I had the opportunity to play with them so if I didn't use them that much in all the years I've playing, odds are I wouldn't be that thrilled about them now either. I may be biased because I rarely swim in the ocean when I go to the beach irl, so there's that too.

But that makes room from some new things I'd like to see ! (or some of the new things at least :D)

I hope they add surfing to oceans this time since we had to depend on a modder IngeJones in TS2 and had to wait a long time in TS3.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    "Strong Evidence" Let's not push this more than it is, it's subtle hints at best.

I agree with @jackjack_k Strong evidence would be finding code like we did for Vampires and Pets.

To answer your question on swimmable bodies of water, I think they said old worlds wouldn't be able to do it, which is why I was hoping they would put off on giving us any beach worlds until then, but we got Bridleton bay.

It is possible that they coded Brindleton Bay so they can come back to it. Unlike other worlds, the water in BB is actually deep enough to support Swimming, while previously the water was only knee height at best.

Even in Windenburg.

I hope so. I'd be annoyed if ocean swimming was restricted to one world. We have plenty of bodies of water in the game (even in Granite Falls) so it would be immersion-breaking for me.

We asked that after GT came out about the water and Daniel said no - depth has nothing to do with it. He said they won't use worlds already done because swimmable ocean water is a different terrain. He also never said they would or wouldn't ever build a swimmable ocean. He just said they'd have to make a new terrain for a swimmable ocean. As we have since learned - they can't change the finished worlds - so if we ever got swimmable oceans - I would be inclined to believe it would have to be in a new world period.

That picture looks like Christmas in Mexico to me. LOL. It is nice for Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere for sure. I like them.

Keep in mind - even if we got a swimmable ocean world - it may or may not be a vacation destination. People do live in areas where there are beaches all over the world you know. I also do not know very many people who take a vacation for Christmas - maybe after Christmas - but Christmas cost a lot of money, never mind adding a vacation to the total. LOL. We usually just have like a big family reunion every Christmas - not take a trip. LOL.

BB is based on New England fishing village. I live in a place like that in Maine and believe me no one is in the ocean. We had 6 inches of snow Saturday and another 11 inches Tuesday. The temps out side right now is about 10 degrees F. People are inside - bundled up with furnaces and fireplaces lit and trying to stay warm. New England doesn't see surfing unless we get an ocean hurricane - and the ocean water is always cold. People flock to the beaches in the summer - but no one in their right mind actually goes into the water. They wade on the beach edge but only the hardiest would actually swim in that water - believe me. I live in Maine.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I really wish sims could swim in the ocean in Windenburg. Its so sad when my sims are at the beach on the island, and they can't go in the water
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I really wish sims could swim in the ocean in Windenburg. Its so sad when my sims are at the beach on the island, and they can't go in the water

I doubt your sims care as they don't know of swimmable oceans or have a desire to go in them seeing the game does not have them and they are not programmed to want things they don't know of. Maybe you are sad your sim can't go into the ocean. LOL.

I really never got the big appeal for sims to have a swimmable ocean actually - as few of my sims ever do that in the past games - they seem to prefer pools. Even when I took my sims to the beaches in the other games all they did was build sandcastles unless I forced them to swim in the ocean. Same with the surfing thing I had in Sims 3 - unless I forced it - they did not do it. They did seem to enjoy all the water craft we had in IP on their own though - and some even seemed to enjoy deep sea diving - but swimming in the ocean - not so much. I'd be happy to get useable water craft though. I was disappointed we teleport with the boat in BB. That was just plain sad.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Even in Windenburg.

I hope so. Brindleton bay doesn't scream tropical either. I could definitely see it snowing there.

It isn't tropical it's coastal but I wish they would have made the ocean swimmable there. Missing are palm trees and beach activities.
  • Options

Even in Windenburg.

It isn't tropical it's coastal but I wish they would have made the ocean swimmable there. Missing are palm trees and beach activities.

We don't have palm trees in New England - they are tropical plants and do not take our below zero temps. Keep in mind we don't even have much summer. We have lots of winter though - from Halloween through Late May most years. But you will never see a Palm tree in New England and BB is based on New England fishing villages.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't see them backing up and making oceans swimmable in worlds that are already being played. They have stated that they don't "fix" worlds that way. Done is done.

I believe that they will give us ocean swimming in a vacation world but it will be spectacular along with diving.

I also would like a new EP world at some point, like Sunlit Tides, a beach/tropical world where my sims could retire to or just move there for a laid back lifestyle. It should have ocean swimming too.

I don't really need ocean swimming in other worlds, it wouldn't always fit. In an Alpine snowy world, I'd rather have hot springs that sims could enjoy in freezing winter.
  • Options
    The problem is that there are no oceans in this game. All the water surrounding the worlds are parts of backdrop paintings used for decoration. They have no depth. You can't add depth to an existing world.

Take your sim to BB and stand outside the cat lady's house and look across the street. You see a shopping district. Now, send your sim to it and you'll see that they walk halfway across the street and stop because they have hit a wall/backdrop.

It's like in that movie "The Truman Show" starring Jim Carrey. At the end he gets into a boat and rows away only to hit the sunset painted on a wall.

If we get ever get ocean swimming, it will be in a new world where the ocean is a flat surface and not part of a backdrop.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    I mean, I have no experience in game development, but if they already have the programming for ocean/lake swimming, how hard would it be to retroactively apply it to previous worlds? If the water's too shallow, the world people can adjust it to make it swimmable and make sure the swimming programming can be copied over

I really hope so because some people said some Guru tweeted that they can't figure how to make old worlds water bodies swimable (I think I saw the tweet somewhere but that was months ago)

It's not that they can't figure it out. But they've said multiple times that it's highly unlikely for them to retroactively make bodies of water in the old worlds routable and that they'd rather add it with newer worlds from the ground up. So I'll assume the amount of work they'd have to put into it is too much to justify changing the worlds on this scale. I do recall there being talk of messing up existing saves but I'm not sure how much that actually plays a role. However it would fit into their struggles with expanding existing worlds and existing world maps which is why we have stuff like Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest.

Sim Guru Daniel who worked on at least the base world and New Crest said they would have to make a new water terrain to make a swimable ocean. He made it clear they would not do that in already finished worlds. This was discussed also on twitter.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Sigh. The Sims 4 is a pretty alright game in certain aspects, but this is disappointing.

I hope they don't take anymore shortcuts with The Sims 5. Fully 3D customizable worlds like 2 and 3. TS4-like toddlers from the beginning. And all that jazz.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »
    I mean, I have no experience in game development, but if they already have the programming for ocean/lake swimming, how hard would it be to retroactively apply it to previous worlds? If the water's too shallow, the world people can adjust it to make it swimmable and make sure the swimming programming can be copied over

I really hope so because some people said some Guru tweeted that they can't figure how to make old worlds water bodies swimable (I think I saw the tweet somewhere but that was months ago)

It's not that they can't figure it out. But they've said multiple times that it's highly unlikely for them to retroactively make bodies of water in the old worlds routable and that they'd rather add it with newer worlds from the ground up. So I'll assume the amount of work they'd have to put into it is too much to justify changing the worlds on this scale. I do recall there being talk of messing up existing saves but I'm not sure how much that actually plays a role. However it would fit into their struggles with expanding existing worlds and existing world maps which is why we have stuff like Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest.

Sim Guru Daniel who worked on at least the base world and New Crest said they would have to make a new water terrain to make a swimable ocean. He made it clear they would not do that in already finished worlds. This was discussed also on twitter.

Well as long as they add it in a vacation world I'm happy and I like the idea about adding Sunlit Tides as place sims can retire to with swimmable oceans as well.
  • Options
    Sigh. The Sims 4 is a pretty alright game in certain aspects, but this is disappointing.

I hope they don't take anymore shortcuts with The Sims 5. Fully 3D customizable worlds like 2 and 3. TS4-like toddlers from the beginning. And all that jazz.

He said they couldn't backup and add that to existing worlds, not that it couldn't be added to future worlds.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017

For a game that is the next step in a series that earns its bread and butter on expansions, this stinks of lack of foresight and planning.

Those who make the decisions -- and those who implement them -- had to know that swim-enabled bodies of water were a popular evolution in the series that players have come to expect. Based on that, why didn't they create worlds that could be edited without invalidating saves? They've done it before.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: let's say that they tried and failed to make worlds editable, shouldn't they have made the oceans and lakes swim-capable from the very beginning then?

It seems that the decision-making here has been purely mercenary. Instead of solving an issue that they themselves have created, they'd rather use ocean-swimming as a big carrot to sell yet another pack. It's really discouraging, at this point.

At this stage in the series, ocean-swimming is not only still hidden behind an additional pay wall, we'll probably end up paying for it to exist only in subsequent worlds. It's not an evolution of the series, we're paying for it to go backwards. It's ridiculous to create beaches that can never be used for anything but fishing.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »

For a game that is the next step in a series that earns its bread and butter on expansions, this stinks of lack of foresight and planning.

Those who make the decisions -- and those who implement them -- had to know that swim-enabled bodies of water were a popular evolution in the series that players have come to expect. Based on that, why didn't they create worlds that could be edited without invalidating saves? They've done it before.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: let's say that they tried and failed to make worlds editable, shouldn't they have made the oceans and lakes swim-capable from the very beginning then?

It seems that the decision-making here has been purely mercenary. Instead of solving an issue that they themselves have created, they'd rather use ocean-swimming as a big carrot to sell yet another pack. It's really discouraging, at this point.

At this stage in the series, ocean-swimming is not only still hidden behind an additional pay wall, we'll probably end up paying for it to exist only in subsequent worlds. It's not an evolution of the series, we're paying for it to go backwards. It's ridiculous to create beaches that can never be used for anything but fishing.

I definitely agree.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

He said they couldn't backup and add that to existing worlds, not that it couldn't be added to future worlds.

It still feels like a lost opportunity to me. Imagine if the pack had mermaids and they had to swim in saltwater like in Sims 3. For the first months of the pack you'd only have the tropical world as an option to do so, even if bodies of water are present in some of the worlds.

Well, no matter. We'll just see how the pack would work if there is one. Maybe it'll be done well. Who knows?
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

Sounds weird to me since @SimGuruDaniel said Seasons could be added in all worlds would that no be editing existing worlds.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited December 2017
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Sounds weird to me since @SimGuruDaniel said Seasons could be added in all worlds would that no be editing existing worlds.

He sayed that to not disappoint us. Imagine if he sayed Seasons will be only in one world, do you really think the sells will continue? But finally I don't know, TS4 is the worst game of the serie, but he still continue to be sold, just because it's The Sims...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    > @ChadSims2 said:
    > Dannydanbo wrote: »
    >
    > He said they couldn't backup and add that to existing worlds, not that it couldn't be added to future worlds.
    >
    > Sounds weird to me since @SimGuruDaniel said Seasons could be added in all worlds would that no be editing existing worlds.

It all depends on how the weather is done. If it is a special effect laid over existing worlds, I think maybe it can be done without editing those world. The possibility to add one feature to existing worlds doesn't mean they can add all types of other features.

But it would be nice to have a swimmable ocean, even if it would be in just one world.
  • Options
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

This is apples and oranges. You can't compare the two. Adding weather to an existing world doesn't change the world itself, it's just a recolor from green grass to white snow. That's no different that you recoloring the grass to sand or dirt on your lot. The difference is the seasons program does it everywhere, even places we can't edit.

Swimming would require adding a flat surface added to the worlds where water would be swimmable. Basically, making the game area bigger by adding more playable surface space. That is what they can not do. Your sim can go to a beach but only so far towards the water because they hit the playable field limit. That's why your sim can wade but not swim. The shallows are part of the payable area, the water is not.