Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SMALL UPDATE COMING TO THE PC VERSION OF THE SIMS 3

Comments

• Options
    Flcty1969Flcty1969 Posts: 82 Member
    Hi - I am already patched to 1.69. Didn't realise and had automatic updates on!

I did not initially select ITF as a pack to play with under the new regime but realised there were things in it that I wanted. All EP's and stuff packs are installed - I have just not selected the ones I don't really need/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Ah. Well, I don't see why adding ITF to the mix would be an issue. But perhaps make an extra copy of your saved game just to be sure. What you cannot do or at least should not work well (if at all) would be to try and play a saved game that has "seen" an EP without that EP in place or selected.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    LovethMiaLovethMia Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi All,

First time poster and I'm not happy that this will be my first post as it a warning.

BEWARE!

Unless you update to 1.69 you cannot install any Expansion or Stuff pack through Origin. So kiss your digital copies goodbye. I just discovered this today while trying to install the Pets EP. I bought quite a few E/Sps through Origin and now I can't access them because I refuse to update the game.

Why won't I update? It seems a paltry thing unless you consider that unless you have an Internet connection you cannot, and I repeat CANNOT, play the Sims 3 v. 1.69. Origin MUST be running in the background and you MUST be signed in to even access the launcher. I don't know if you can run the game by going through the BIN folder in Programs, I've never tried but if you're like me and not a tech guru then you're crap out of luck.

And I absolutely refuse to buy Sims 4 but that's an argument for another day.

In summation, EA has officially stolen my money. I can't access content I've purchased and they get to keep my money.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    LovethMia wrote: »
    Why won't I update? It seems a paltry thing unless you consider that unless you have an Internet connection you cannot, and I repeat CANNOT, play the Sims 3 v. 1.69. Origin MUST be running in the background and you MUST be signed in to even access the launcher. I don't know if you can run the game by going through the BIN folder in Programs, I've never tried but if you're like me and not a tech guru then you're crap out of luck.
    We at NRaas are still stubbornly not recommending the new patch for those who can manage to stay on 1.67.

But although 1.69 does tie the game to Origin and the Launcher for those it did not previously, you do not need an Internet connection to play the game. At least, not when things are working properly.

Once installed and patched up to 1.69, you can set Origin to offline mode. You still have to "login" to Origin, but can do so offline and do not need an Internet connection to play for subsequent sessions unless you switch back to online mode.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/how-to/offline-mode
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    LovethMiaLovethMia Posts: 3 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > LovethMia wrote: »
    >
    > Why won't I update? It seems a paltry thing unless you consider that unless you have an Internet connection you cannot, and I repeat CANNOT, play the Sims 3 v. 1.69. Origin MUST be running in the background and you MUST be signed in to even access the launcher. I don't know if you can run the game by going through the BIN folder in Programs, I've never tried but if you're like me and not a tech guru then you're crap out of luck.
    >
    >
    >
    > We at NRaas are still stubbornly not recommending the new patch for those who can manage to stay on 1.67.
    >
    > But although 1.69 does tie the game to Origin and the Launcher for those it did not previously, you do not need an Internet connection to play the game. At least, not when things are working properly.
    >
    > Once installed and patched up to 1.69, you can set Origin to offline mode. You still have to "login" to Origin, but can do so offline and do not need an Internet connection to play for subsequent sessions unless you switch back to online mode.
    >
    >

Forgive me if this post looks ugly, I'm trying to figure out how to quote properly.

In any case, I tried that. When I first updated I was a bit flabbergasted that I had to login to Origin in order for the launcher to...well...launch and I thought, gee if I have to be logged into Origin...if my Internet doesn't work will I still be able to play? So I unplugged the Internet and lo and behold that's what happened. I couldn't even access my game. That was almost a week and half ago.

After reading your post, I tried it again (albeit on a different computer) and it worked, so they must have fixed it but I'm still griping because I can't access my purchased games unless I upgrade.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    ]]]
    I'm still griping because I can't access my purchased games unless I upgrade.

I'm still FUMING about this.

• Options
    Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Forgive me if this post looks ugly, I'm trying to figure out how to quote properly.

I've been through that lately... You'll be able to properly quote once you lose the "New Member" tag... Expect it to take a couple days.

My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    MilijolumuMilijolumu Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello everyone,

I also have a new problem since that update. Or at least i think it's because of that...

Before it worked perfectly fine for me to send gifts and simport requests to my online friends through the game using the telephone or comupter. Now thats not possible anymore. It always tells me to register my games - which i had already done years ago. When i open my account inside the game all my registered games don't show up though. On thesims3.com on "mypage" they do but not inside the game. And as i already have used the registration codes i can't register my games inside the game again of course...
    which means i can't use simport anymore or send gifts to friends or do anything else that needs registered games... and i really wanted to gather all those simport rewards finally.

Has anyone got a solution for that maybe? Or any ideas? I'm quite frustrated...
  • Options
    SharonjSharonj Posts: 5,246 Member
    @Sharonj windows 10 has a flawed update that is causing launcher issues for this game. Wonder if this update hit 8.1 too? Im on 8.1 and will test my game later. I cant get to it right now.

Update : my game still works with windows 8 update on patch 1.67

My game is working, as long as I don't try to load it in windows mode. Thanks for your help. :wink:
  • Options
    Milijolumu wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I also have a new problem since that update. Or at least i think it's because of that...

Before it worked perfectly fine for me to send gifts and simport requests to my online friends through the game using the telephone or comupter. Now thats not possible anymore. It always tells me to register my games - which i had already done years ago. When i open my account inside the game all my registered games don't show up though. On thesims3.com on "mypage" they do but not inside the game. And as i already have used the registration codes i can't register my games inside the game again of course...
    which means i can't use simport anymore or send gifts to friends or do anything else that needs registered games... and i really wanted to gather all those simport rewards finally.

Has anyone got a solution for that maybe? Or any ideas? I'm quite frustrated...

Cant help you much... However, have you tried contacting Origin costumer support? Now that The Sims 3 has to be tied to it, well...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    cat2006housecat2006house Posts: 28 New Member
    edited January 2016
    > @Xavy said:
    > Hope this update isn't mandatory. A few of my EPs and SPs were bought off Origin, so I don't think I can play without it... :grimace:

I just want to say that you misunderstood their intentions behind this update. You can still play the game with all the expansions and stuff packs you bought. They just give you a chance to choose the expansion packs/stuff packs to play with. I never fiddle with these options because I want to play with all expansion packs and stuff packs regardless.
  • Options
    MilijolumuMilijolumu Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Lexers615 said:
    > Milijolumu wrote: »
    >
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I also have a new problem since that update. Or at least i think it's because of that...
    >
    > Before it worked perfectly fine for me to send gifts and simport requests to my online friends through the game using the telephone or comupter. Now thats not possible anymore. It always tells me to register my games - which i had already done years ago. When i open my account inside the game all my registered games don't show up though. On thesims3.com on "mypage" they do but not inside the game. And as i already have used the registration codes i can't register my games inside the game again of course...
    > which means i can't use simport anymore or send gifts to friends or do anything else that needs registered games... and i really wanted to gather all those simport rewards finally.
    >
    > Has anyone got a solution for that maybe? Or any ideas? I'm quite frustrated...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Cant help you much... However, have you tried contacting Origin costumer support? Now that The Sims 3 has to be tied to it, well...

Well, I tried. But after finding my way through all those questions about my problem and to which topic it would belong (how the heck should I know?) I just ended up with the possibility for a live chat where no one was there and with a phone number which would cost me a fortune as i'm not having a flat rate atm and as far as I know this would end up in a waiting loop for hours :/

I'm afraid this "support" wont be much of a help...
  • Options
    Milijolumu wrote: »
    > @Lexers615 said:
    > Milijolumu wrote: »
    >
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I also have a new problem since that update. Or at least i think it's because of that...
    >
    > Before it worked perfectly fine for me to send gifts and simport requests to my online friends through the game using the telephone or comupter. Now thats not possible anymore. It always tells me to register my games - which i had already done years ago. When i open my account inside the game all my registered games don't show up though. On thesims3.com on "mypage" they do but not inside the game. And as i already have used the registration codes i can't register my games inside the game again of course...
    > which means i can't use simport anymore or send gifts to friends or do anything else that needs registered games... and i really wanted to gather all those simport rewards finally.
    >
    > Has anyone got a solution for that maybe? Or any ideas? I'm quite frustrated...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Cant help you much... However, have you tried contacting Origin costumer support? Now that The Sims 3 has to be tied to it, well...

Well, I tried. But after finding my way through all those questions about my problem and to which topic it would belong (how the heck should I know?) I just ended up with the possibility for a live chat where no one was there and with a phone number which would cost me a fortune as i'm not having a flat rate atm and as far as I know this would end up in a waiting loop for hours :/

I'm afraid this "support" wont be much of a help...

On other issues with Origin, the "Live chat" has been somewhat helpful. The guy at the other end of the chat has very limited powers, but can fix glitches about purchases not showing up/not properly marked as "registered". Cant do a thing about much else, though...
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Options
    truckie024truckie024 Posts: 26 New Member
    > @Jessa_Dakkar said:
    > They're nothing spectacular, @jackjack_k. I also run the game with mods which I'm sure help and tend to only play in my own, custom world. But so far, yeah, pretty good luck with TS3. As far as my system though I have an i74790 @ 4.0GHz, it's overclocked to 4.4 I believe. 16GB Ram, 2 TB drive w / 1.56GB free and the card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770. There are plenty of people with better than I have who seem to have issues, I really can't explain why but I am very thankful to have the game function the way it does. I honestly wish it did for anyone who wants to play it. :( Even so, my game still falls prey to some of the weird stuff like stretchy toddlers in the ITF tubes, stuff like that, nothing that ruins the game for me.)

dang that sound like my system that was stolen 6-7 months ago, difference was mine was AMD with 750TI graphics card in it lol, they are a beast when it comes to the sims gaming.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    @truckie024 dang, that stinks :( I hope you had insurance to cover theft.
  • Options
    nirvana311nirvana311 Posts: 5 New Member
    Anyone else who unknowingly got forced into this godawful update notice that there's no longer an EA folder in their program files? Because I don't have that anymore and now all my games are under Origin Games in Program Files (x86), and that's not how my game was set up on my computer prior to this update--I know because I used the launcher-less workaround and accessed the executable in the .bin for literal years.

Serves me right for wanting to finally check out the TS4 CAS demo rather than drop $60 on a game I didn't want to begin with.
  • Options
    @nirvana311 - Afraid it doesn't matter which program files sub-folder Origin has decided to move your games into (mine have been under Origin for years, though the Launcher bypass trick still works on Patch 1.67). But with Patch 1.69, initially released just this past November, the bypass shortcut no longer works. If you make your own shortcut to TS3.exe (formerly TS3w.exe), that just brings up Origin for you. The patch ties the game, Launcher, and Origin together and that cannot be changed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @igazor - I was playing it just fine without any trouble after the November date when 1.69 launched without any trouble. A week ago this update installed and I didn't know anything was wrong until today, and I tore my whole house apart trying to find my complete set of my disc copies to try and do a total reinstall and use the Super Patcher, but I think they accidentally got tossed during a move two years ago and all I have left is my University disc.

I can't even get the launcher to recognize that I have Origin installed and that I'm logged in. I'm totally locked out of my game now and I didn't even know what to do. I'm not really tech savvy and I can't figure out what to do to get my games back. I've spent thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars on this game like everyone else has, and I'm devastated.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @nirvana311 - Hmm. If you now have Patch 1.69, you do have to launch through Origin by going there first. Not the Launcher and not the game's exe files. If that's not working, the only recourse I know of is to uninstall and reinstall Origin (only). Or possibly pull your TS3 Game Folder out of Documents to your Desktop for safekeeping, but it sounds like you aren't even getting to the part of the startup sequence where the game looks for its Game Folder.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor - I've already moved my Game Folder because I figured that was the safe thing to do since the game, if I ever get it to launch again, will generate a fresh one I can drop my folders into as needed (I have a few backup versions of the game generated this way). Since I can't get it to recognize that I'm using non-digital copies of the game, I'll try reinstalling Origin to see if it helps. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

As it stands, no matter what I do, if I go to the .exe in the Program Files and try to run the game or launcher from there, it takes about half an hour for my computer to open it long enough to tell me I need to be connected to Origin for the game to work and then my only option is to click "okay" and it shuts down.

I've uninstalled Origin and I'm attempting a reinstall now. We'll see if that helps. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    cristill13cristill13 Posts: 2,162 Member
    edited January 2016
    @SimGuruDrake, I downloaded the new patch and now I can't play TS3 without having the internet. We will be camping all summer this upcoming year. I bought all the ep's and I won't be able to even play them. I'm very upset with this situation. EA DO YOU THINK THAT EVERYONE HAS INTERNET AT ALL TIMES? If someone has a solution, please send me a message.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    cristill13 wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake, I downloaded the new patch and now I can't play TS3 without having the internet. We will be camping all summer this upcoming year. I bought all the ep's and I won't be able to even play them. I'm very upset with this situation. EA DO YOU THINK THAT EVERYONE HAS INTERNET AT ALL TIMES? If someone has a solution, please send me a message.
    If you set Origin to run offline, you won't need Internet access for future game sessions. At least that's how it's supposed to work. You still have to "log in" to Origin first, but can do so in offline mode.
    https://www.origin.com/en-us/how-to/offline-mode
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    This is ridiculous. I uninstalled and reinstalled Origin and it's made no difference--I'm still totally locked out of my game and can't even get to the Launcher without seeing an error about needing to install Origin when I try running the game *from* Origin or from the .exe in the Bin. I have no choice but to track down the pre-2012 versions of my discs and superpatching to 1.67 manually, I guess.

I'm furious and upset and, frankly, don't plan on ever buying anything from EA after I get the discs I need to fix this mistake. And I'll be uninstalling Origin completely and will never use it again because I've spent hundreds of dollars for years on this series and I've been robbed by this update.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    @nirvana311 Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your troubles and I can truly sympathize, having just spent a few hundred on discs myself. You're not alone.
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    having just spent a few hundred on discs myself

Well, I estimate having spent over CAN$600 on The Sims 3 over the last years. Given their bad support, I'm not renewing it with TS4...

My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg