Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A whole new level.

Found my old, inherited laptop would not upgrade to Windows 11. It’s been struggling just a tad under a heavy Sim load too.
Having finally graduated from poor student-dom to full time employee, I suddenly decided today to upgrade to a new, modern laptop.

Let me tell you the graphics blew my mind. :o
I can see proper freckles, makeup, logos and tattoos. And that’s just playing around in CAS.

Traditionally I am a terrible restarter but I think I can get a whole lot more immersed and attached now…
Anyone had a similar experience and can make suggestions what to do first??

Comments

• Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    Oh wow, that's so great! I'm excited for you! I have a very old desktop, and it barely plays my Sims 4 game now that I have so many of the EP's and GP's and SP's! I can't wait until the day I can afford a new computer and be able to enjoy all the details that I know that I've been missing out on. So yeah, enjoy them all for those of us like me, too please!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited October 2021
    Just look at the worlds... intensely :lol: thats what I did when my game went from stuttering with lowest graphics to smooth ultra graphics I was just staring at random things like :o "so thats how it looks like"
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I 'd just say - play with walls up! :) Better graphics will also give you a totally new feel when inside a room with your sims. Not saying the wallpaper itself will fly, but lighting and textures in general will improve the environment feel. Of course also outside, but in a room you gety closer to things.

With better graphics you might also want to finetune the makeup on existing sims - check their formal+party especially, unless they are make-up-go-lucky :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    Found my old, inherited laptop would not upgrade to Windows 11. It’s been struggling just a tad under a heavy Sim load too.
    Having finally graduated from poor student-dom to full time employee, I suddenly decided today to upgrade to a new, modern laptop.

Let me tell you the graphics blew my mind. :o
    I can see proper freckles, makeup, logos and tattoos. And that’s just playing around in CAS.

Traditionally I am a terrible restarter but I think I can get a whole lot more immersed and attached now…
    Anyone had a similar experience and can make suggestions what to do first??

I can relate. When I first started Sims 4 my laptop could run it on medium graphics, which was nice enough. With time and more packs, I had to down grade to low resolution to improve performance and reduce load times. A few months ago, I got a new computer that is running the game on high/very high graphics and I am constantly amazed at how beautiful these worlds really are. I just noticed the moths fluttering around the porch lights last night, and sometimes I take a Spellcaster to the Realm just so I can look at it.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @NRowe I know exactly how you're feeling right now! I played on an old laptop with only 3 gigs of RAM and integrated graphics for the first four years of this iteration before it finally croaked and I got a gaming desktop. I sat in awe with my jaw perched on my keyboard for a long time just looking at EVERYTHING! Never before in any iteration have I been able to play in Ultra, it was a moment I'll never forget. Not ashamed to say, I cried. Yep, I did. I think I may have posted a thread just like this at the time. This was in late 2018 and I'm still in awe of the difference. Enjoy! <3
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Congrats on the new computer. 🙂
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    I had similar. My laptop used to run Sims 4 on Ultra (I think it was that, don’t remember exactly) but then I had to adjust. The graphics were still pretty high, actually, but I had to use laptop mode. I got a new computer in July and there is a definite difference. My Sims now actually cast shadows, and the water quality is much better. Things also seem quite a bit ‘shinier’, too.
  • Options
    ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I upgraded my laptop a little over a year ago and I am still blown away by some of the worlds and scenery they have built. The improved graphics definitely helped keep my interest in this game longer
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Install desired mods
    Put on headphones
    Fire up Game
    Max everything to ultra
    Sims 3 Camera
    Launch
    Make Sim
    Go to live mode
    Walls Up
    Switch to 1st person camera occasionally
    Follow whims
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Yeah I experienced this when I went from a 2015 Macbook to a 2020 one this past november. I went from playing the sims every few months to nearly daily now since the speed and the graphics are just so much better.