Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A pack with a story

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting, but it should always be an on the side thing and just this once
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Story progression, legacies, challenges etc are all story modes - what is the difference. Story mode is a story mode. You can do them or not do them at all - why all the fuss whenever the dev add in some. It is still pretty optional and so it should be.
    Challenges indeed are based on a mandatory storyline as well, which is why I’d never ever do a challenge myself. Challenges are player created though, not in game, so it’s certainly not the same. We are looking at a built in story now for the very first time in the franchise, it’s new alright. Some players love that, others do not. The way I understand it the story here is not optional, once you buy this pack?

As for story progression, only Sims 3 has that option and you can disable it. And it’s no secret many many players don’t want story progression in their game. And they took it out when they created Sims 4, probably because of that. Story progression doesn’t add an actual story by the way. I remember my own confusion when I was a Sims 3 newbie and saw the “story progression” option. Expecting indeed a story would reveal itself and all that happened were babies that were born in town. I remember that not exactly considering a ‘story’.

ETA: Challenges are way more free than the upcoming story pack by the way, because within the frame of basic rules you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, you have to play through the mystery and then you can turn off the script after all is said and done instead of earlier which may have been the better option. However this is normal as the term "You Rule" has lost its meaning an long time ago. I never do the challenges as I never found them interesting and was glad I did not have to do it to move on.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    They tried something new and the back is definitely like nothing I've seen before in any Sims series. So, it definitely got my interest. I think it's pretty interesting having a bit of story element to a pack. It's still optional either way. I personally grow tired of constant rehashed content and seeing something new is refreshing. A new world that comes with 11 lots plus a secret world for a gamepack already got me excited.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Ja_rdeJa_rde Posts: 19 Member
    Great idea! The franchise should explore this kind of gameplay more
    I’m actually excited to see how the story plays out hope it’s good
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I know that some TS3ers play TS4 but it seems odd to me that you have the poll here. Still, without voting since I don't care what they do with TS4, I will say that I would be against. I am more about sandbox than quests and such. I couldn't even play TS3 without mods because too much of it is scripted for my taste.
    Because my poll is about (the character of) the franchise. As it happens this pack is for Sims 4 but that is not the point here. I for instance see similarities with WA, which always has been considered an out of the ordinary pack as well for the franchise (and got a lot of criticism because of it). The reason I posted it here and not in Sims 4 Feedback, is in fact that I want to ask the question on ‘neutral’ ground, answered by a broader part of the community than just Sims 4 fans (I presume their opinions and expectations are all over the boards anyway, not very active there at the moment and imo they are not the only simmers who are allowed to have an opinion about the franchise and its future). Exceeding the version the pack happens to be created for. I consider it a pretty groundbreaking choice for this franchise to create a pack like this.

So, this poll is NOT about Sims 4. It’s about introducing a storyline based addition to this so far purely sandbox franchise. I haven’t voted myself yet by the way because I’m really on the fence about it. Which is another reason I’m curious for opinions, my mind is still pretty open about this one. I agree with those by the way who say a lot depends on the quality of this pack, how it will turn out. So this poll is purely about the different concept/approach. Look at it this way: I could have made this poll before they announced this pack in the first place.

P.s. I also see a parallel with Sims Medieval by the way, which as we know was created as an on the side game

I understand your reasoning :) I still won't vote because I really have no opinions about the future of the franchise but I am sure others do and, since they will probably be the future players, I will leave it to them :)
    Thanks, yes, I appreciate that of course.

@Cinebar Yes, can’t help but agreeing with that, which is why the “just this once” addition in the second option is crucial for me. I happen to love WA, but at the same time I’m glad they only did a pack like that just once. That is... they also kind of did for the last EP but in a much more half-baked way. I only love WA because you can tell they put a lot of time and effort in the exploring aspect of that pack, the tombs and the adventures.

But even WA isn't so scripted or have a check list on the Sim panel to tell you to talk to this Sim, go here, load screen, go here, do this just like in the doctor career of GTW. If people loved GTW's open, scripted careers where were all those post saying please EA, please, build more scripted check lists!?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    EA-if you're reading this,please stick with the sandbox genre. If I wanted to play an RPG-style game,I would go play Pokemon,Final Fantasy games, or the Minecraft Survival Mode. I get Sims to play as a sandbox game,not to go on quests that should be be in an RPG game.Please go back to sandbox genre,and please start including new types of genres instead of being lazy and plunking the boring base game venues in every new pack you make. Currently,I find that playing Minecraft Hardcore mode with no weapons or armor is much more enjoyable than playing your RPG Sims games.Sad,really....I shouldn't even feel like this! I shouldn't feel like fighting Endermen and giant spiders with my bare fists is better than playing the Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've been watching a few game-changers play through the story with early access and I'm already seeing an issue with this "story driven" pack. Everyone's playthroughs are now nearly identical. They story seems to have 1 major path and though it seems there's a bit of variety in how you can do some things, otherwise, everyone is doing the same thing. They're all working towards the same goal and it's boring.

The Sims as a series is interesting in the way players have the freedom to do what they want and make their own stories, but here, everyone is working towards the same story and there seems to be minor deviation between the players. Now I get that this is only something that stands out to me because I am watching multiple people play and not playing myself (which is not the experience they game is made for), but still it is something I noticed.

Hence, I hope that this will only be a one time thing. If they do it again, they need to do it like an actual adventure game and give people multiple possibilities of completing their story.
  • Options
    scrutyniscrutyni Posts: 49 Member
    Other than the fact that the gameplay is very railroaded by the developers so everyone's experience will essentially be the same, I feel the thing that makes the Sims is its open-ended nature. It allows the player to explore their own creative freedom. I don't have a problem with them doing this once in a while, but I'd rather they prioritize features that allow us to play however suits our own style, and have repeated playability.
    Current SimLit Blog (Rotational Play): https://newcrestsponsorsims4.home.blog/
    Rookie builder and casual Simmer || Gallery: https://tinyurl.com/ycummopq
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I know that some TS3ers play TS4 but it seems odd to me that you have the poll here. Still, without voting since I don't care what they do with TS4, I will say that I would be against. I am more about sandbox than quests and such. I couldn't even play TS3 without mods because too much of it is scripted for my taste.
    Because my poll is about (the character of) the franchise. As it happens this pack is for Sims 4 but that is not the point here. I for instance see similarities with WA, which always has been considered an out of the ordinary pack as well for the franchise (and got a lot of criticism because of it). The reason I posted it here and not in Sims 4 Feedback, is in fact that I want to ask the question on ‘neutral’ ground, answered by a broader part of the community than just Sims 4 fans (I presume their opinions and expectations are all over the boards anyway, not very active there at the moment and imo they are not the only simmers who are allowed to have an opinion about the franchise and its future). Exceeding the version the pack happens to be created for. I consider it a pretty groundbreaking choice for this franchise to create a pack like this.

So, this poll is NOT about Sims 4. It’s about introducing a storyline based addition to this so far purely sandbox franchise. I haven’t voted myself yet by the way because I’m really on the fence about it. Which is another reason I’m curious for opinions, my mind is still pretty open about this one. I agree with those by the way who say a lot depends on the quality of this pack, how it will turn out. So this poll is purely about the different concept/approach. Look at it this way: I could have made this poll before they announced this pack in the first place.

P.s. I also see a parallel with Sims Medieval by the way, which as we know was created as an on the side game

I understand your reasoning :) I still won't vote because I really have no opinions about the future of the franchise but I am sure others do and, since they will probably be the future players, I will leave it to them :)

@Cinebar Yes, can’t help but agreeing with that, which is why the “just this once” addition in the second option is crucial for me. I happen to love WA, but at the same time I’m glad they only did a pack like that just once. That is... they also kind of did for the last EP but in a much more half-baked way. I only love WA because you can tell they put a lot of time and effort in the exploring aspect of that pack, the tombs and the adventures.

But even WA isn't so scripted or have a check list on the Sim panel to tell you to talk to this Sim, go here, load screen, go here, do this just like in the doctor career of GTW. If people loved GTW's open, scripted careers where were all those post saying please EA, please, build more scripted check lists!?
    Plus the main charm of WA for me is the exploring itself, the puzzles. Not the adventure itself.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I am not sure yet as I haven’t got to play it yet. But, it seems like fun to me. I have always liked the first 3 active careers they put in the game, I like the guidance on them ( even though I am a sand box player) and that you don’t always have to follow your sim to work if you don’t want to. Get to work kept me going for a long time having one sim in each job. It was the retail bit that I didn’t like as well. I mostly prefer using retail for my sims to go buy things, rather than owning a business, although once in awhile it is fun to own one too. I just don’t like having to have someone buy the business to set up so my other sims can use it. I like the change they made with dine out ( But was looking forward to my cook being able to own the restaurant and be the cook there). I also don’t like buying from the mannequin. I liked the way you could buy clothes from a rack and it would go into the dresser in past games. I think the game should have given you only one set of clothes per category and accessories would be bought seperately. I’m not sure how they would work that out, but I hope they focus on that for the sims 5. I digress though (my life). I saw someone mention you only have to play through once and then you can turn it off. It sounds like the best of both worlds to me. I love that we have a whole new beautiful world to use! And I think it will be fun to play through it at least once, as long as every sim I take there is not forced to be a sleuth. I will vote after I try playing.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2019
    I love the idea but Cinebar, and others who believe in the purity of sandbox play, might have reason to worry about future releases for the Sim4 and the future of the franchise. In response to a simmer asking him to consider making more packs with a story Grant replied, "This is a case where, if it's successful, yes. If not, no. Or, if not, we try something different to see if THAT is successful. Hooray experiments!"

I'm sure in terms of financial success this pack will be a winner because while a lot of simmers are actually embracing the idea, so many others who may not be 100% on board will still buy out of curiosity and some will buy for the assets coming with the pack. We'll have to wait and see if the pack is truly a success within the simming community.

Yeah because then they can be lazy and reuse assests without actually improving on the sandbox elements. Wish we had more Parenthood type packs instead of this stuff. I wouldn’t be as harsh if they actually added useful gameplay but since a lot of things are still missing or half baked, wishing for more things like this is sad.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    Just no way, we still have a lot missing but instead do THIS? You cant even turn it off unless you play it first, how is that letting us have options? But yes anything to cut corners and not improve on what they’ve promised.
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    I love the story idea. I do hope they add an option in the future to turn the story off for those that want a pack but do not want to do the story.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

I don't think many would request scripted checklists based on GTW. Those are jobs, it is normal to have your tasks/responsibilities laid out for a job. Things like your own social events for example make no sense, determining the success of a house party on whether you got 3 sims to listen to music at the same time or not, or whether they used funny interactions is just flat out stupid IMO.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Other
    I said "other" because, whilst I am excited for this pack, I don't want it to be an ongoing thing. HOWEVER, thinking about it now...game packs seem to be a once-a-year thing so yeah, I could get into that. Every year having a game pack like this one would be fun! But next time I would wish for more build/buy objects that could be used in other worlds and not be so obviously for one pack. The windows and doors are absolutely gorgeous but we're lacking in other objects that can be used in regular game play. I usually just build, rarely do I play, but I really cannot wait to get into this new pack tomorrow!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Sims are supposed to be a sandbox game. The "check lists" aspect gets rid of the sandbox aspect for me. The reason I never have the events checked to get rewards is because of the check list. The reason I never use the GTW careers or the acting career is the check lists too. They are adding rpg elements into the game and destroying the sandbox feature for me at least.
  • Options

Plus the main charm of WA for me is the exploring itself, the puzzles. Not the adventure itself.

Amen :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Yes, buying the pack may indicate how successful it will be but it is the price point that is important for if many are waiting for an price drop (like me) that does not necessarily mean the pack is successful especially if one is willing to pay $9.99 or $8.99 if an member of Origins Premier. However success will be determined by how many are willing to pay full price. If EA/Maxis sells it at $9.99 they have to change the income forcast if the price drops.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    It's interesting but I'm just wondering how many hours I need to solve the mystery. And what happens after you do?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    I've been watching a few game-changers play through the story with early access and I'm already seeing an issue with this "story driven" pack. Everyone's playthroughs are now nearly identical. They story seems to have 1 major path and though it seems there's a bit of variety in how you can do some things, otherwise, everyone is doing the same thing. They're all working towards the same goal and it's boring.

The Sims as a series is interesting in the way players have the freedom to do what they want and make their own stories, but here, everyone is working towards the same story and there seems to be minor deviation between the players. Now I get that this is only something that stands out to me because I am watching multiple people play and not playing myself (which is not the experience they game is made for), but still it is something I noticed.

Hence, I hope that this will only be a one time thing. If they do it again, they need to do it like an actual adventure game and give people multiple possibilities of completing their story.

I mean, it reminds me of Bustin' Out. You can take different routes, but they all lead to you being rich and kicking a rude old guy out of his house. I played through it once and I was done. :c

Personally, I'd rather have more interactions and quirks added to my game than stories. I play Sims to make stories, not fulfill them. And I play longer when I have freedom. And I buy more stuff when I play longer. I never buy everything at once, so it pays to keep me interested XD
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Story progression, legacies, challenges etc are all story modes - what is the difference. Story mode is a story mode. You can do them or not do them at all - why all the fuss whenever the dev add in some. It is still pretty optional and so it should be.
    Challenges indeed are based on a mandatory storyline as well, which is why I’d never ever do a challenge myself. Challenges are player created though, not in game, so it’s certainly not the same. We are looking at a built in story now for the very first time in the franchise, it’s new alright. Some players love that, others do not. The way I understand it the story here is not optional, once you buy this pack?

As for story progression, only Sims 3 has that option and you can disable it. And it’s no secret many many players don’t want story progression in their game. And they took it out when they created Sims 4, probably because of that. Story progression doesn’t add an actual story by the way. I remember my own confusion when I was a Sims 3 newbie and saw the “story progression” option. Expecting indeed a story would reveal itself and all that happened were babies that were born in town. I remember that not exactly considering a ‘story’.

ETA: Challenges are way more free than the upcoming story pack by the way, because within the frame of basic rules you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, you have to play through the mystery and then you can turn off the script after all is said and done instead of earlier which may have been the better option. However this is normal as the term "You Rule" has lost its meaning an long time ago. I never do the challenges as I never found them interesting and was glad I did not have to do it to move on.

Actually it is not the first time - the devs are mistaken - as Sims 2 Bon Voyage had 3 stories modes in that pack - you could do for extra things and bonus items.

Sims 1 Makin Magic had story mode like things as well - like you could talk to shop keepers and find some quest like things to do for sims walking around the place and do what ever that sim needed and then return to the shop keeper and they would give you an item you needed that could not be bought, bartered for, etc. Sometimes it was just magic coins, other times it might be a Dragon's scale or some other hard to obtain item.

I think even the devs need to go back and check earlier games as they had all kind of little things like that in them. Never mind the little side games to earn things like in the tombstone game or the mushroom game and all the others. But there has always been quest like things in Sims or stories that were there if one wanted to seek them out. Like Finding sasquatch, finding the old man that rewarded our sims with the mentor trait and the ability to tell stories and teach other. Or all the many other things to earn threw their quest story if one wanted to.

Granted this one involves more Sims - and a single focus from what I can see. But it is not new - they have been around since the first Sims games.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    This is not a new idea to the franchise at all, they've already explored it in TS2 with The Sims Life Stories. It was BTW the CD I first bought and that got me totally hooked on the sims...
    Lifestories.jpg

I don't want to be a spoiler, but this last GP is different even than life stories. Also, it's so weird too to have to decide whether or not to buy a pack nobody is permitted to freely discuss. So its buy it first then decide if you want it later...haha nice strategy.

I've exhausted most opinions I have of this pack so...I just cant anymore, but I'm looking forward to better content coming out this year.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Actually it is not the first time - the devs are mistaken - as Sims 2 Bon Voyage had 3 stories modes in that pack - you could do for extra things and bonus items.

Sims 1 Makin Magic had story mode like things as well - like you could talk to shop keepers and find some quest like things to do for sims walking around the place and do what ever that sim needed and then return to the shop keeper and they would give you an item you needed that could not be bought, bartered for, etc. Sometimes it was just magic coins, other times it might be a Dragon's scale or some other hard to obtain item.

I think even the devs need to go back and check earlier games as they had all kind of little things like that in them. Never mind the little side games to earn things like in the tombstone game or the mushroom game and all the others. But there has always been quest like things in Sims or stories that were there if one wanted to seek them out. Like Finding sasquatch, finding the old man that rewarded our sims with the mentor trait and the ability to tell stories and teach other. Or all the many other things to earn threw their quest story if one wanted to.

Granted this one involves more Sims - and a single focus from what I can see. But it is not new - they have been around since the first Sims games.

What story/RPG elements were in Bon Voyage?!

Even in Makin Magic yeah if you got the items you would get rewarded it was not a fully fledged story you had to solve from beginning to end.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I don't want their story. I want to do my own story.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    It's interesting but I'm just wondering how many hours I need to solve the mystery. And what happens after you do?

It sounds like if you focus on the story it takes about 4-6 hours. I'm assuming if you weave in your sims life and do other things it takes as long as you want it too.
    Saw this posted in another thread for what happens after I really like it. Might contain spoilers though:
    https://simscommunity.info/2019/02/26/the-sims-4-strangerville-life-after-strangerville/
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other
    Every once in a while is fine.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie