Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A pack with a story

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Interesting, but it should always be an on the side thing and just this once
    Jenniferuk wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken though, you have to play the story first in order to be able to turn it off - which doesn't seem like such an optional option to me after all?

Presumably that applies to every new save you start, as well.

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Great idea! The franchise should explore this kind of gameplay more
    It's a great idea, it does not seem to be something that will limit me to creating my own stories.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    I'd have to agree with @Sigzy05, even though our poll votes are different.

When those responsible for content stop listening to the players, alienate the 'old-school' players and tell you "This is what we're giving you"... well, I don't see it going over well.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    JenniferukJenniferuk Posts: 104 Member
    > @Mariefoxprice83 said:
    > Jenniferuk wrote: »
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken though, you have to play the story first in order to be able to turn it off - which doesn't seem like such an optional option to me after all?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Presumably that applies to every new save you start, as well.

Oh I hadn't even thought of that, but yes, it probably does mean that doesn't it?
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Jenniferuk wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken though, you have to play the story first in order to be able to turn it off - which doesn't seem like such an optional option to me after all?

yes, BUT if you will not start game so nothing is do! Maybe you see some sick people in strangerville, but you must start the story!
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    "I just don’t think only Sims 4 players should have a say in the direction this game goes."

You're forgetting that a lot of people who play TS4 started with TS1. I still play the past games and luv TS4.
    I think a pack with a story is a great idea, though I'd like it to be a on the side thing.. if it forces you to play like that only.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited February 2019
    I prefer having all the basic tools and after focusing on more extra things. TS4 lacks in so many areas, it's not important to focus on packs like that for the moment. I would prefer having : better babies, better personalities, cars, better traits, better emotions, better whims, better reactions from our sims (cheated on etc), pond tool, painting the ceiling, NPC's as burglars, service socials etc, bunkbeds, spiral staircases and I certainly forgot a lot. After adding all those stuffs, why not focusing on packs like SV. I mean, we'll never have all the stuffs that I asked for if they prefer focusing on packs like that instead of ''basic sims thing''.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2019
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    "I just don’t think only Sims 4 players should have a say in the direction this game goes."

You're forgetting that a lot of people who play TS4 started with TS1. I still play the past games and luv TS4.
    I think a pack with a story is a great idea, though I'd like it to be a on the side thing.. if it forces you to play like that only.
    I still don’t think that just people who embrace the last iteration are the only ones who can have an opinion about the direction this game (franchise) goes and the choices they make, just because they happen to like the current choices for the game. I don’t think only people who luv Sims 4 can have an opinion about the game’s future, I think also people who don’t luv it are allowed to have and express their opinions.

But anyway, that’s no longer relevant because the poll was moved here and to be honest I’m fine with that, I love reading all the motivations (for all the options).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    Ah okay, I misunderstood. I thought that you meant TS4 players have never played the past games.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    Bad idea. It would work as a spin off, but I don't want my game where I control the stories telling me what to do. JA is different because I'm exploring a jungle but this? Where there is a legit plot? No. Get out of my Sims game.
  • Options
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    Ah okay, I misunderstood. I thought that you meant TS4 players have never played the past games.
    Thanks for clarifying, no, that’s not what I meant ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I'm all for a pack like this. Especially at this stage of the game's development. We've got the two most requested packs, Seasons and Pets, out of way. I think we'll get a university pack, a tropical vacation pack, and another occult pack, probably witches. I think the developers are now starting to speculate on new ideas to bring once those packs are released and are testing the waters to see how well this story driven pack is received.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Of course, we still have to see how this pack works out, but I love the idea of having options in the game and expanding what The Sims has to offer (or, like others have pointed out, going back to what it used to offer).
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Of course, we still have to see how this pack works out, but I love the idea of having options in the game and expanding what The Sims has to offer (or, like others have pointed out, going back to what it used to offer).
    Maybe I’m misinterpreting the bold part (please correct me if I am), but if you mean by that “there’s always the old games”, that’s indeed a solution for many in terms of still being able to enjoy the game (the version or versions they love playing), but I’m strictly interested in the future of the franchise here and if a concept like this fits in that future according to people.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2019
    Every game need a bit of a kick once in a while and I was just about to give it up and go back to books as I was getting a bit bored with the sameness of it all and Sims 3 and 2 don't appeal any more. I will be buying the pack as I like the occasional storyline and am not good or interested enough to play the adventure kill or be killed or Civilisation type strategy games about now.

Whether it works or not will depend on sales won't it so we may get more or not in the future. I hope more. Even in University your Sim didn't get a good job when it graduated if it didn't get good results and that was a storyline wasn't it? Now that bored me to tears.

From what I gather this pack will still allow you to play a sandbox style as well as solving the puzzle. I hope there isn't time limit @SimGuruHouts as I want to take my own time with it. Also, I like to play a family rotation type game. Can I get several families trying to solve the problem or is it done with when one family in the Save game solves it?
    :)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited February 2019
    The difference between World Adventures (TS3) and Strangertown/Strangerville (whatever the hell it's called) (TS4) is the fact that with WA, I may get options to go "exploring" but I can tell the little pop-up window telling me to contact so and so for a certain task to "bugger off" by hitting the X. Supposedly, you can't even do that with having to play out the story-line with Strangertown.

So my answer to that is HELL NO!
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    @Simburian SimGuruHouts said in another thread you'd be able to have different members of a household share in playing the story. You'd just have to transfer inventory items between those Sims. Or you could probably have household members play it individually.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2019
    Other
    It could go either way, Sure I can put my own sims in this situation, But is there room for me to override the Story? Change the ending.
    I like scripting and Role plays, but not if I'm playing the same story over and over, and let alone someone else's story, I don't role like that.
    I like role plays where I can add my own flare. Like if Later on my werewolf and Sorcerer do this Storyline, I can use their, my powers to defeat this thing? If I waltz into El Salvadora and navigate the Temple with my powers?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    @Simburian SimGuruHouts said in another thread you'd be able to have different members of a household share in playing the story. You'd just have to transfer inventory items between those Sims. Or you could probably have household members play it individually.

I'm having trouble keeping up with the Tweets. Too many threads and too many long explanations of why some Simmers won't be buying it.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The difference between World Adventures (TS3) and Strangertown/Strangerville (whatever the hell it's called) (TS4) is the fact that with WA, I may get options to go "exploring" but I can tell the little pop-up window telling me to contact so and so for a certain task to "bugger off" by hitting the X. Supposedly, you can't even do that with having to play out the story-line with Strangertown.

So my answer to that is HELL NO!

EXACTLY.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I fell asleep before posting last night. Apparently this is now in the Sims 4 section? Glad I just refresh the page and didn't go looking for it, lol.

I went and found that tweet from Grant and who he's responding to mentions how they like it because it reminds the of Stories. Like I said elsewhere, I wouldn't call this idea new and fresh since it reminds me of a combination of previous games and things in the franchise but I do like the idea. It's actually right up my alley, I love creepy and mysterious but I'd like this much better if it was a side game like The Sims Life Stories, Pet Stories, Castaway, MySims or even just a spin off or Sims game on console. The fact that it's part of the main series on computer troubles me.

I love The Sims for the sandbox element and my main worry was that this is them testing the waters for more story driven packs when the reason I play this series is to be able to tell my own stories. I think The Sims should be the sandbox game where they give us the tools to tell our own stories and if they want to have story based games those should be seperate.

And don't you have to play the story a bit in order to opt out completely? I know one guru said you can largely ignore it but that's not completely being able to ignore it so he mentioned having to play through the story to get completely out of it. What if you just want the sandbox aspect with no story at all?

While I love World Adventures for the ability to have my sims vacation in a foreign worlds and get away from everyday life, before I used mods I always wished there was a way to increase visa levels without doing the adventures for some of my sims. One of the things that made it better for me was the number of different storylines/adventures to play through to arrive at a maxed visa level but I still wished for a more sandbox approach. This new pack so far seems like just one story so I wonder how that will turn out.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Other
    I think they made a good choice by making something with a story, but the Sims is supposed to be a little bit of a sandbox game where there are no set rules and no set objection. I think they definitely should make more of these, but not a whole bunch because the game is supposed to be one where you can do whatever you want whenever you want, like in real life. It's just not something that interests me, but I know lots of other people really want a story, which is why Maxis definitely should make more, just only one or two because otherwise we kinda lose what the game is supposed to be. However, this is just my opinion, so if you disagree, try and just not care. Everybody's got different opinions.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    I loved WA in TS3, one of my top favorite EPs. I loved JA. I played the crap out of The Sims Medieval. I like to have options, I like when it's not 100% a made up story of mine. Not all players play to control every single aspect of the game and make up their full stories.

I for example do not make up stories. I try to turn the game as self sufficient as possible so that it can roll without my intervention. I churn through raw content, always have since TS1.

But even so, I'm more looking forward to the active military career and b/b mode items than the story.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Just a thought but perhaps there will be a cheat players can use to cancel out the story by getting an achievement relating to the conclusion of the story. After all, we can cheat our way to the top of a career and give our sims the Parenthood traits via cheats so maybe the gurus will put something in to encourage players who want the world and new content but don't like story-based play.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    Other
    I think the story sounds like a good idea (won't know for sure until I try it of course) and I wouldn't mind having other packs with one. As long as it's just a side-thing, not mandatory and the pack is well made and... I guess well developed and fun to those players too who aren't interested in playing them. Sims being a sandbox game is what I like about it so I wouldn't change that but to add on to it something isn't a problem.