Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A pack with a story

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    Great idea! The franchise should explore this kind of gameplay more
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Story progression, legacies, challenges etc are all story modes - what is the difference. Story mode is a story mode. You can do them or not do them at all - why all the fuss whenever the dev add in some. It is still pretty optional and so it should be.
    Challenges indeed are based on a mandatory storyline as well, which is why I’d never ever do a challenge myself. Challenges are player created though, not in game, so it’s certainly not the same. We are looking at a built in story now for the very first time in the franchise, it’s new alright. Some players love that, others do not. The way I understand it the story here is not optional, once you buy this pack?

As for story progression, only Sims 3 has that option and you can disable it. And it’s no secret many many players don’t want story progression in their game. And they took it out when they created Sims 4, probably because of that. Story progression doesn’t add an actual story by the way. I remember my own confusion when I was a Sims 3 newbie and saw the “story progression” option. Expecting indeed a story would reveal itself and all that happened were babies that were born in town. I remember that not exactly considering a ‘story’.

ETA: Challenges are way more free than the upcoming story pack by the way, because within the frame of basic rules you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, you have to play through the mystery and then you can turn off the script after all is said and done instead of earlier which may have been the better option. However this is normal as the term "You Rule" has lost its meaning an long time ago. I never do the challenges as I never found them interesting and was glad I did not have to do it to move on.

Actually it is not the first time - the devs are mistaken - as Sims 2 Bon Voyage had 3 stories modes in that pack - you could do for extra things and bonus items.

Sims 1 Makin Magic had story mode like things as well - like you could talk to shop keepers and find some quest like things to do for sims walking around the place and do what ever that sim needed and then return to the shop keeper and they would give you an item you needed that could not be bought, bartered for, etc. Sometimes it was just magic coins, other times it might be a Dragon's scale or some other hard to obtain item.

I think even the devs need to go back and check earlier games as they had all kind of little things like that in them. Never mind the little side games to earn things like in the tombstone game or the mushroom game and all the others. But there has always been quest like things in Sims or stories that were there if one wanted to seek them out. Like Finding sasquatch, finding the old man that rewarded our sims with the mentor trait and the ability to tell stories and teach other. Or all the many other things to earn threw their quest story if one wanted to.

Granted this one involves more Sims - and a single focus from what I can see. But it is not new - they have been around since the first Sims games.

What story/RPG elements were in Bon Voyage?!

Even in Makin Magic yeah if you got the items you would get rewarded it was not a fully fledged story you had to solve from beginning to end.

I listed two already from Bon Voyage - the quest to find the elder story teller and earn the mentor/storytelling ability, Finding and befriending the sasquatch story line, oh and appeasing the Ninja and earning the Teleport ability - were three - the Sea Captains quest was another... Cabin repairs story was another - Bon Voyage had many story quests that earned you abilities, traits, items - etc.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Other
    Other
    I'm sure this pack will be ok but I prefer sandbox.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Interesting, but it should always be an on the side thing and just this once
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Story progression, legacies, challenges etc are all story modes - what is the difference. Story mode is a story mode. You can do them or not do them at all - why all the fuss whenever the dev add in some. It is still pretty optional and so it should be.
    Challenges indeed are based on a mandatory storyline as well, which is why I’d never ever do a challenge myself. Challenges are player created though, not in game, so it’s certainly not the same. We are looking at a built in story now for the very first time in the franchise, it’s new alright. Some players love that, others do not. The way I understand it the story here is not optional, once you buy this pack?

As for story progression, only Sims 3 has that option and you can disable it. And it’s no secret many many players don’t want story progression in their game. And they took it out when they created Sims 4, probably because of that. Story progression doesn’t add an actual story by the way. I remember my own confusion when I was a Sims 3 newbie and saw the “story progression” option. Expecting indeed a story would reveal itself and all that happened were babies that were born in town. I remember that not exactly considering a ‘story’.

ETA: Challenges are way more free than the upcoming story pack by the way, because within the frame of basic rules you can do whatever you want.

Exactly, you have to play through the mystery and then you can turn off the script after all is said and done instead of earlier which may have been the better option. However this is normal as the term "You Rule" has lost its meaning an long time ago. I never do the challenges as I never found them interesting and was glad I did not have to do it to move on.

Actually it is not the first time - the devs are mistaken - as Sims 2 Bon Voyage had 3 stories modes in that pack - you could do for extra things and bonus items.

Sims 1 Makin Magic had story mode like things as well - like you could talk to shop keepers and find some quest like things to do for sims walking around the place and do what ever that sim needed and then return to the shop keeper and they would give you an item you needed that could not be bought, bartered for, etc. Sometimes it was just magic coins, other times it might be a Dragon's scale or some other hard to obtain item.

I think even the devs need to go back and check earlier games as they had all kind of little things like that in them. Never mind the little side games to earn things like in the tombstone game or the mushroom game and all the others. But there has always been quest like things in Sims or stories that were there if one wanted to seek them out. Like Finding sasquatch, finding the old man that rewarded our sims with the mentor trait and the ability to tell stories and teach other. Or all the many other things to earn threw their quest story if one wanted to.

Granted this one involves more Sims - and a single focus from what I can see. But it is not new - they have been around since the first Sims games.

What story/RPG elements were in Bon Voyage?!

Even in Makin Magic yeah if you got the items you would get rewarded it was not a fully fledged story you had to solve from beginning to end.

I listed two already from Bon Voyage - the quest to find the elder story teller and earn the mentor/storytelling ability, Finding and befriending the sasquatch story line, oh and appeasing the Ninja and earning the Teleport ability - were three - the Sea Captains quest was another... Cabin repairs story was another - Bon Voyage had many story quests that earned you abilities, traits, items - etc.

That’s not the same as the New game pack mystery. It’s not even close. The ninja it’s a case of if you see him on the lot, pause quickly before he disappears, have your sim approach him and answer a question. Get it right and you learn how to teleport.

Sea captain event was a random encounter when you searched the pirate ship that he would appear. Once your relationship wa over 9 he taught you the song. - Not a story or quest.

Big foot was a case of getting the hidden map to his burrow - no story involved but luck by finding a hidden map. Once you be friend him he may agree to move in to your house. Not a story or quest but a game play encounter. You can make it as part of a story.

The wise old man you learned the story from you got that by either performing the correct greeting on him or by pouring him tea. He would then tell you the story. The greeting you learned from other locals amd was not a story quest but game play.

Collectibles like greetings and dances and foods were learned by playing the game and interacting with locals. It was never ever marketed as “Go on a Far East destination and uncover the mystery by a series of quests!” The sims 2 is a proper sandbox . You could turn all of the above into part of your story but there is a world of difference between Bon voyage where your sims could go on family/couple/single holidays and honeymoons with no goal to Strangerville where it’s USP is solving the mystery and I even features an aspiration that will take you through it step by step.

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I like the idea of themed packs like this with their own story. I am glad they've made the new world usable even if you don't do the mini game portion of it and I hope they do more of this type content in the future. Its something I miss from Sims 3 with WA style content.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't care about the Stuff Packs. It's just "stuff", you know.

But if you package that with a "Story", then I'm willing to buy it.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Those mountains reminds me of Pixar's Cars! Route 66!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    They tried something new and the back is definitely like nothing I've seen before in any Sims series. So, it definitely got my interest. I think it's pretty interesting having a bit of story element to a pack. It's still optional either way. I personally grow tired of constant rehashed content and seeing something new is refreshing. A new world that comes with 11 lots plus a secret world for a gamepack already got me excited.
    My problem is that the ingame, static story is new, but the gameplay attached to it isn’t (it’s literally what they did for GTW and JA if I understand it correctly). I’m all for them doing stuff they never did before, but that means new and interesting gameplay.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    I'm still pretty new to Ts4 having come from Ts3.. but looking at the content the game has had to this point.. other than needing University as many have mentioned.. a story driven pack like this is pretty fun. Ya you can Sim around but doing a story vs.. making 100 babies? I'd find the story far more fun and not nearly as repetitive. World Adventures was one of my favorites due to the Quests in searching the Tombs and side adventures. I still hope to see Egypt in this game but it really does add a fun element to the game.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm not super against it, but I'm also not sure how interested I am in actually buying it and exploring it myself. Like...pre-written stroies are things I can get from movies, books, tv shows, and--frankly--other video games. I'm not sure what this would be offering that those other games aren't. I'm not saying it's not offering anything new, I'm just saying I'm not clear what that new thing is at this point, and I think I'll hold off on spending my money till I am.
  • Options
    boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    I think a horse game pack done similar to strangerville would be nice. A horse themed world with a story, another career, horses lol. I wouldn’t want too many packs though. We don’t have a lot of time and I’d like to see some of our wants soon. :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm still pretty new to Ts4 having come from Ts3.. but looking at the content the game has had to this point.. other than needing University as many have mentioned.. a story driven pack like this is pretty fun. Ya you can Sim around but doing a story vs.. making 100 babies? I'd find the story far more fun and not nearly as repetitive. World Adventures was one of my favorites due to the Quests in searching the Tombs and side adventures. I still hope to see Egypt in this game but it really does add a fun element to the game.
    There are 100 different ways to make babies if you want to. The story will always be the same. That being said, I’ve seen footage and it just all very much reminds me of what I did in GTW. It’s comparable to doing a career again.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2019
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    I was playing sims 4 today and scrolling through all the packs and realized I love almost all of them, except pet stuff and romantic garden and probably luxury party, I have been happy with all of them. So, I guess hating my first GP is not so bad. I have a good feeling were gonna get good sandbox packs this year still.

I'm glad to see so many other simmers think the game is perfect the way it's always been. It doesn't need changed.

I was playing in del sol and looking out the windows of my sims house, while she was on the computer, and saw a plane go by...love those details, I always appreciate those small things like that
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    If future packs are done like Strangerville, then yes. I never finished Sims Medieval with it's quest based gameplay, hated Sims Life Stories and only endured Castaway (PC) because finishing the story was required to get into the real game.

The best way to implement a story imo is as it was done in Castaway for playstation: for the most part it was sandbox, with a few story elements. The overt story was that of being shipwrecked, but there was the side quest about the hidden treasure. If you speedrun through the story tasks only, you are through in, what, three hours at max? But then you see only a fraction of it.

Strangeville is closer to Playstation Castaway than like Life stories, fortunately. So far I've played it for 4 hours and haven't even cleared the prologue. The plot is there, it's not going anywhere while my sims live their lifes and do some low-key investigation (so far they underestimate the scope of the problem). Elsewhere I've read that you can clear the whole plot in under 2 hours if you just focus the story tasks.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    If future packs are done like Strangerville, then yes. I never finished Sims Medieval with it's quest based gameplay, hated Sims Life Stories and only endured Castaway (PC) because finishing the story was required to get into the real game.

The best way to implement a story imo is as it was done in Castaway for playstation: for the most part it was sandbox, with a few story elements. The overt story was that of being shipwrecked, but there was the side quest about the hidden treasure. If you speedrun through the story tasks only, you are through in, what, three hours at max? But then you see only a fraction of it.

Strangeville is closer to Playstation Castaway than like Life stories, fortunately. So far I've played it for 4 hours and haven't even cleared the prologue. The plot is there, it's not going anywhere while my sims live their lifes and do some low-key investigation (so far they underestimate the scope of the problem). Elsewhere I've read that you can clear the whole plot in under 2 hours if you just focus the story tasks.

I agree - they have really, really done this well so it does not affect normal play at all. I played all day and evening- up until a few minutes ago - not focusing on the disease/mystery much at all - just taking my time - having my sim live his life as all my Sims do -with the added in story just casually looking into it. But my Sims behavior and inclinations are just like all my other sims before this pack; and the additional story just adds a mystery and some really funny moments to the game.

I think it is brilliantly done. I wish we could have more like this. Also I have not solved it - approaching the story very casually - basically when my sims has a few hours with nothing to do after a work day and he is not tired yet - he talks to a few people, he goes to the secret lab with another friend and looks at new info or they go to the bar and talk with a few military or lab people and gathers info. The he has a few hours as usual hanging out at the bar, playing some a game or two or dancing. He may use his listening devices when he gets home for a few minutes to check on the people he has placed bugs on before getting ready for bed - he may not. It's all up to him technically (as it depends on the time and how tired he is) - but there's no rush - no script to follow - just something out of the ordinary to look into - that takes this sim out of the hum drum of the same ole - same ole.

I really like this addition and finally feel I actually do rule in the Sims 4 - at last.

ETA - Just to add - I love this town and the new content. Talk about adding icing to the cake - they got this icing perfect to me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Other
    they should make a story pack section to make these packs but maybe not make them as often and be able to plAY it again with out it being boring like choose your own adventure