Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A pack with a story

Comments

• Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Great idea! The franchise should explore this kind of gameplay more
    @Cinebar I'm not going to pretend it isn't ridiculous that such simple things are yet to be in the game while packs like this are coming out...but game developers do have multiple teams working on multiple different things, so it is silly to act like StrangerVille has somehow halted the development of stuff like slow dancing. You know EA and I know EA. They just care about the profit. Slow dancing is going to be apart of some "Ballroom" stuff pack so they can milk the community's wants. It's probably ready to be patched in, but then they wouldn't make any money. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm not going to keep this discussion going because, well I used to love this series. The Sims 4 killed that, to be honest. Now, I might see what's going on and how the future of the series is looking, but I am perfectly content to just love the individual games instead. As long as The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 exist, I don't plan on wasting my energy being angry about EA's decisions. Let's be honest, if we do that...will we ever stop being angry? :lol: EA is perhaps the worst gaming company in the world when it comes to pleasing fans of its games. :lol:

I certainly hope The Sims 5 isn't all about story and maintains the sandbox elements, but I don't think a pack every now and then with an optional story to play is a game or franchise killer. So I guess we can just agree to disagree. Happy Simming. :smile:

Also, to note, when I voted I just read the "great idea" part and not the "franchise should explore this more" part. :lol: So I do want to point out that I think it's great, but should be a side thing and never the main part of the game. If only these polls would let people change their vote.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other
    Other. Please discuss Sims 4 development on the appropriate forum.

That said, a story-related pack is an interesting twist. It can't hurt to try new things in a franchise this established.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I love the idea but Cinebar, and others who believe in the purity of sandbox play, might have reason to worry about future releases for the Sim4 and the future of the franchise. In response to a simmer asking him to consider making more packs with a story Grant replied, "This is a case where, if it's successful, yes. If not, no. Or, if not, we try something different to see if THAT is successful. Hooray experiments!"

I'm sure in terms of financial success this pack will be a winner because while a lot of simmers are actually embracing the idea, so many others who may not be 100% on board will still buy out of curiosity and some will buy for the assets coming with the pack. We'll have to wait and see if the pack is truly a success within the simming community.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2019
    Interesting, but it should always be an on the side thing and just this once
    @Sindocat Please feel free to not participate if you aren’t interested in the future of the franchise, I can fully appreciate when you’re not. I just am. This poll is not about Sims 4, it’s about the game playing out a story instead of the simmer and how people feel about that. Unfortunately there isn’t a section that covers the entire franchise.

@simgirl1010 I’m all for experiments, I’d regret it though if it would make them drift away from the original concept of the franchise, because that concept is so unique. That, apart from being intrigued, is my concern. Especially when financial success will be a guideline. I agree with you this pack will probably sell extremely well because it’s an exciting and new angle.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited February 2019
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    If I want to play in Strangetown (which debuted in Sims 2), I'll go download the Strangetown which someone created for TS3 and put in some weird and whacky alien creature-like Sims and create my own little story. I'm not one for playing someone else's created story.

sims-4-strangerville-new-game-pack-update-release-date-february-26-strangetown.png
    This just reinforces my view that the Sims 4 sims smile like the Joker...and this bears it out. Looks like they got hit with the smile virus. TS4 can't end soon enough.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Bad! They’d better spend their time and money on gameplay that sticks to what this franchise is about
    Some how or other, this story feeling reminds me of "Into The Future" and all those quests to unlock stuff on it.

I've never played Sims 4 and that announcement caught my eye because of the concept of the story. I may not play it so soon because it must be a rip-off... maybe on a huge sales.

I think it's cool to have these options here and there. Sims 4 started bland for me. Sims Medieval is cool, but it's a different way of playing. It's hard to have the same kind of gameplay in every installment, otherwise people will complain that they don't innovate.

@thuggishsplicer - it was on for $4.99CDN over Christmas...even that was still too much for me. :smirk: Went and bought 4 for $5 2L Pepsis. Had a much better time and I got 80cents back on that...

giphy.gif
    *oh...snap*... ointment for that burn?

Sims 4 and I will start considering each other at $2.99CDN on deep discount for the base game and maybe $3.99CDN for the EPs. :smirk:

Until then I have Sims 3, my EPs, my CC and the Sims 3 store. <--- all of which I am quite happy to pay or have paid full price on... THOSE were worth the money. :smirk:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer A friend of mine let me know, it was R$ 30,00 reais, which is what most games cost after they are on the shelves for a while.
    I almost bought it, but I ended up not doing so since I've got too many games to play already.
  • Options
    Please don’t turn this into a “I don’t like Sims 4” topic ;) Again, this is not about Sims 4, even when this new concept is introduced for that iteration.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @thuggishsplicer - Yeah...around $10.50CDN (equiv to R$30.00) would have been a NO-GO for me too.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @JoAnne65 I'm sorry. In fact, I'm curious about this new pack for Sims 4.
    I'm looking forward to the news and the spoilers.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Please don’t turn this into a “I don’t like Sims 4” topic ;) Again, this is not about Sims 4, even when this new concept is introduced for that iteration.
    #1. I don't like being directed to do anything - hence the reason why if someone tries to foist their own story onto MY game, then it doesn't go well. So NO...I don't particularly want to play ANY pack with a storyline. The only reason why World Adventures and ITF works for me is that they end up being able to be used the way I want to play the game. I can choose to go explore the tombs IF I want to, not because of the story line.

My reaction to when anyone wants me to play a game according to THEIR rules and if you don't follow their ideas, you don't get anywhere in the game...

tumblr_inline_pncy4mctUy1vuiiss_540.png

So the answer to your ORIGINAL INQUIRY:
    I’m really curious what the community thinks of this new approach (and also how the pack will be received). So, a poll (and I’d love to read arguments too)

tumblr_inline_pncynqxGEI1vuiiss_540.png
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    This is not a new idea to the franchise at all, they've already explored it in TS2 with The Sims Life Stories. It was BTW the CD I first bought and that got me totally hooked on the sims...
    Lifestories.jpg

Omgosh I forgot about that game! :open_mouth:

Never played it, but I remember seeing it around when Sims 2 was in it's heyday. :)
    #nostalgia
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    @emorrill Only thing I remember about Life Stories is trying to get CC into the game and really only succeeding in breaking the heck out of it. :lol:

And, yes, I was born a CC addict. :tongue:
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

Not interested in Sims 4 (never bought it). Not interested in Sims Medieval (played about 1 hour total). Not interested in Into the Future (never bought it). WA is great, although I don't bother with the quests most of the time my sims are in the locals.

In general I don't like guided story quests even in other games. Quests are OK if they are optional and can be done in any order, if they are more a suggested guide to game play rather than a requirement. That's why I never really liked WOW but loved GW2. That's why I like my current game, Conan Exiles - the Journey steps can be done as part of game play, in any order, but some can just be ignored if you want.
  • Options
    @cwaddell Off-topic, but Conan Exiles is super fun! :smiley:
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    @cwaddell Off-topic, but Conan Exiles is super fun! :smiley:

Yeah, I've been addicted to it since last summer. I belong to a clan with others from my family. Since we are in different states it's fun going on adventures together and talking on Discord.
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    I've moved this to Sims 4 General Discussion given we're discussing a Sims 4 announcement.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Before trying it out I have a feeling that this concept might work really well for me. I already have a lot of tools to create my own stories and I just love the opportunity to engage into a mystery play with my own sims. I hope it works great and there will be more packs like this to get into. I don't think it's taking away from the main game, just expanding it and bringing together what used to be spin offs.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Strangerville isn’t even out yet but I already love it!! I’m excited to buy it and explore it!!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Not necessarily once, but once in a while I wouldn't mind.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I have to admit that I'd prefer things like this to be separate games, like the Sims 2 Stories games, or The Sims Medieval, but the developers have done it this way, and it may yet work out for them. I'm interested in reading fan perspectives of how this game functions once it comes out and possibly buying the pack, though I'll almost certainly wait until the price is reduced. Trouble is, no matter what the team do, they are going to please some and upset some, so they can only do what they feel is right.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    @thuggishsplicer Yes, I share the curiosity, though I don’t think I’ll buy it. Well, maybe when there’s a sale one day and the reviews are positive.
    @Nikkei_Simmer I think I might be a bit more quest driven than purely sandbox players (like Cinebar and yourself), so in that respect I don’t reject the idea. But I do totally understand where you come from and I do hope the sandbox aspect will always be retained, because I think it’s exactly that aspect that makes this franchise so unique.
    @EA_Cian I respect your decision obviously and since I met some ciritcism for placing it in the Sims 3 section, it’s probably better off here. I don’t want to irritate people, that obviously was not the intention to post it there. I posted it there because I wanted to discuss this concept with players who prefer the same kind of aspects in this game as I do. I just don’t think only Sims 4 players should have a say in the direction this game goes. I could imagine the ‘old school’ players might have a different vision about this new concept than people who embrace Sims 4 with its more linear gameplay. That could be bias on my part though. The results of the poll so far:

U8sda7y.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    Here's the thing:

TS4 is lacking. A lot. In 4 years this game is dryyyyy. Only 3 lifestates, the object babies, no graveyards, no university, no magic, tons of bugs, only two vacation spots, no swimming in oceans, no lounge chairs, no firemen, no burglars, no curved pools, no curved stairs or L shaped stairs, no cars, and so on and so on we all know the list by now.

And this is what they decide to focus on. Not in giving us extra replayability or more gameplay tools, or in enhancing the sim's interactions and personalities, but on a story pack. I really loved playing TS2 on the PSP and I'm not saying I won't enjoy this pack, but currently I don't enjoy the rest of the game, at least not as much as previous iterations. I just don't think they should be focusing on extra scripted gameplay at this point when TS4 feels like it has so much of it already. I wouldn't mind if they did this later on when we have all the content that we should have by now.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I like that you can choice. If you will play with story you can. If you will not play with story you can it too! I create my own story, but I like this new.
  • Options
    JenniferukJenniferuk Posts: 104 Member
    If I'm not mistaken though, you have to play the story first in order to be able to turn it off - which doesn't seem like such an optional option to me after all?