Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edit an old post. It needed approval and disappeared!

cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
I was editing an older post within one of my threads and I got the comment that the discussion had to approved first... the way it often happens when you try to copy data, links, or images into a new post.

I thought... That is weird as I already have established this post and editted it in the past. Then I thought it might be a problem with the original post/discussion starter. So I quit updating the first post and went to another. I was adding a hyperlink to text already in the thread. I had saved after making one hyperlink and was making another when I got that same pop up. Only this time, the whole post with multiple links already in it from months before disappeared and I had an empty comment box with just a last edited in July remark in it. I had the option to save comment or cancel. I should have cancelled. I didn't save. Instead, I tried refreshing the screen.

I no longer even had an empty post to update. I now have a gap from the last post saying installing compilations next and the following posting saying continuing compilations.

What is going on? How do I get the post back? Which guru might help?

I didn't trusted editing another of my posts, so I recreated the lost info with all the links into a post at the end, saving after every link or two. Then I copied the pertinent data in the thread following my missing one. Luckily it stuck and hopefully I didn't lose too much.

Hopefully, it was just a weird glitch because I do have some long posts. Still, it would be nice to know who might be able to restore a thread to an earlier date or find and retrieve a lost post. Does any one know?
Post edited by ciane on

Comments

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm having difficulty posting pictures as well. I wasn't able to post a picture four days ago whether I posted the comment without the picture first then edited to add the picture (I got the needs approval comment and my entire post was removed) or whether I tried to post the picture with a comment.

It's very strange. I'm going to try posting a picture here to see if it was just happening with that particular thread, but I've used two different photo hosting sites and I'm still having the same issue.

22642500823_bb5f614f68_o.jpg

Edit: Now it seems to be working. I'll try again on the previous thread I was on and see if the picture will appear.

Edited again: I was still having problems linking pictures, but I noticed when I took out all other links except the photo, it immediately posted and editing the post was no problem unless I added a link to a website or someone's wishlist in which case the post would need approval.

I don't recall ever having this issue with the forums before.
    Post edited by ApparentlyAwesome on
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder if that maintenance with the lastest patch caused this issue. There is also some wonkiness on the my pages now. I had comments disappear, updates out of order, and a blank page!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It happened to me again in another thread. This time I chose cancel instead of refresh. BUT once the message that the comment needs to be approved pops up, that post simply disappears. This time I copied everything from it first. But it's order in the thread can not be salvaged. I had a blank post with red comment at the top to try and edit, but since it's "awaiting approval" which never happens... I can't edit and then it is not there.

When running a contest, putting the links and pics of the entrants on the first page makes them easy to find. Having established posts disappear is useless!

@SimGuruDrake, could you look into that for me please?
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    I wonder if it's a browser issue as I am using IE and I was able to edit an old post from last year to add some new pictures and comments.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Hmmm, maybe. I use Firefox.

And, I am able to edit some posts and to add some links and pictures. But it seems when I edit too much or add too much... it suddenly decides to hiccup! And I can't get back what was once there and is no more.

No, it's not just the browser. There are more problems here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/861925/why-cant-i-edit-my-first-page-of-discussion
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,022 Member
    This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I already had it posted, but noticed I had made a grammatical error so I went back and edited my post.. then it got deleted.
    TS3 Username: XxEquestrian95xX
    I became an
    "own the store" member on February 27, 2016. Thank you so much, everyone!

Do you enjoy saving SimPoints?
    If so, check out the following threads for more info
    : Free Kids Items - Animals Abound Cascade CascadesDaily Deals ( DD Spreadsheet )

NzEguYNjKIUMw.gif
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that @Franny. It's sad to know that editting can cause totally lose, not just of the content being added or the content that was there; but of the whole post as if it never was.