March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited November 2012
    Download the textures, and extract them to your desktop. You'll need a program that un-zips compressed files like Winrar, here are links to a couple good ones.
    http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t288-file-compression-tools

2n70021.jpg

2hxrps.jpg

Now, open up Windows Explorer, and go to;
    Documents
    Electronic Arts
    Sims 3 Create a World
    User Tool Data
    Source Textures

Drag and drop your new textures there.. I have my textures separated into categories for easier access, here's a tut on Organizing your Source textures;
    http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t281-source-texture-organization

atm59c.jpg

Open Caw, click on the Roads icon, click on Custom Road. Name your road, then click on the first little box on the right for Street Base. Your Source textures folder will pop up, find your new textures and open the folder.

152guvk.jpg

Find the Street_Base and click on it, it should pop up in your Custom Roads Settings box. Now just do this for each texture. Leave the sidewalk opacity blank, unless there is a specific texture for that spot. The program automatically puts in a full opacity if non other is indicated here.

xdz43o.jpg

Right click on your new road, and set as active. You'll need to do this each time you exit out of the roads section and come back. This is also where you can edit the road to bring back up the Custom Roads Settings box.

23r8nrr.jpg

do0y2t.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2010
    Not all of the Rabbit Holes are listed. Just set the lot to "No Visitors Allowed", and just having the Rabbit Hole on the lot will mark it correctly.
  • chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited November 2010
    is there a way to just dye the asphault darker? then take out the lines in the middle? my computer wonr let me download roads and wont let me get winrar plusni just want to make my own tuxtures
    edited November 2010
    In the Terrain textures links is a short tut on how to alter the textures you already have with gimp. I don't know how to save it correctly with other paint programs, so if you can't download gimp, which is also free, I don't know what to tell you.

Just out of curiosity, why are you unable to download these things? I can understand if it's someone else's PC. My Brother-in-Law won't let my Niece download anything onto their family computer. It seems odd that your computer won't let you, I'd be happy to try and help you figure out how to do it. :-)
  • chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited November 2010
    it has virus protection
  • NinjaGirl11NinjaGirl11 Posts: 38 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Can someone explain the difference between residential, townie, and ownable lots?
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited December 2010
    krizia1234 wrote:
    :?:How do we get them to the game:?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRJ6aoCgkR0&feature=related
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    edited December 2010
    Is there a way to export our world, without automatically uploading it to the exchange? As a novice builder, I didn't want my "practice" worlds up there yet, they still look a little sloppy.

I have a couple in progress that I'm taking my time to get just right, I'll be more than happy to share those when they're ready.

edited December 2010
    Hi ldmarko,
    Yes, you can install your world without having to upload.

After you Export, your world shows up in the Launcher under "Uploads"
    Check mark your world, then click on "Show File"
    The file that holds the .sims3pack should be sitting right there.
    Double click on the .sims3pack, and your world should install.

You can bypass opening the Launcher in the first place by opening up Windows Explorer and going to;
    Documents
    Electronic Arts
    Sims 3
    Exports

You can drag and drop the pack into downloads if you like.
    2hguu6c.jpg

When I'm building a world, I install it several different times so I can check routing and whatnot. You will usually need to uninstall the prior version, before you install the next one.

Open your Launcher, click on "Installed Content"
    Check your world, and click uninstall. After it's done,
    Open up Windows Explorer, and go back to Sims 3
    Click on the "WorldCaches" this time and delete the two files with your worlds name on them.

2qt9to9.jpg

Hope this helps :D
  • HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited December 2010
    :)Ha Auntielynds hears the link to my heightmap form.Can you ples post your links again the Quote wont let us to click a link.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/316439.page
  • EN55EN55 Posts: 1,270 New Member
    edited December 2010
    for that stupid thumbnail thing i have to add a picture right?

cant i use just any picture? why do i have to do so much stupid stuff i just want to upload the stupid world for crying out loud.
    edited December 2010
    Okay, if you looked through the list of resources, there is a link there for a bunch of premade 24bit.pngs. All you have to do is look. :shock:
  • AnnakitsuneAnnakitsune Posts: 93 New Member
    edited December 2010
    The Link to the Bridgeport lite seems to be broken or the thread no longer exists, or my internet browser hates me. either way just wanted to let you know
  • Aragona09Aragona09 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for this page. Im building a tomb in my world and here I found the treads that helpt me. A great page :)

Aragona
    edited December 2010
    Try this one Annakitsune :D

http://builders.forumotion.net/resource-listings-f123/twinbrook-and-bridgeport-caw-file-download-t1443.htm

Thanks for letting me know about the other link. :-)

Thank you Aragona09, I'm glad you found some good info. :mrgreen:

edited December 2010
    Weren't there some links on dealing with road tears? I can't find them anywhere, and I'm having that problem now.
    edited December 2010
    Here's two links I had in my bookmarks. They're old, so I don't know how relevant they are anymore.

road tearing. Please listen very Carefully.

Road tears:... How to Fix them???? Without making......
    edited December 2010
    Here's two links I had in my bookmarks. They're old, so I don't know how relevant they are anymore.

road tearing. Please listen very Carefully.

Road tears:... How to Fix them???? Without making......

Thanks!
  • amaholusamaholus Posts: 423 Member
    edited December 2010
    It seems that the link for the tutorial on recoloring rabbit holes is the same as using real height maps. Do you still have a link to this in your stash of bookmarks? :D
    edited December 2010
  • amaholusamaholus Posts: 423 Member
    edited January 2011
    thank you! :D
  • maglcmaglc Posts: 1,921 New Member
    edited January 2011
    oh wow, what a wonderful thread!
  • gtrip2luvgtrip2luv Posts: 11
    edited January 2011
    how do I create custom lot sizes using this tool.....Notice the lots available for placement don't fit some of the buildings I have and I want to use this but it's getting fustrating with the pre-determined lot sizes ie. 64x64, 42x 54 etc
    edited January 2011
    When you are in Caw, not Edit in Game, you can place lots of any size, from 1x1 up to 64x64.

Click on the add new lot, then click on your terrain. In the lower right hand corner you can see the size of the lot as you lay it.

To line your lots up against the road click on the grid, and line it up to you road. The lot will snap to the grid lines as you lay it down.

2nvwgn4.jpg
  • ccgirl97ccgirl97 Posts: 789
    edited January 2011
    ....I love you!
    Thank you!
    Now I know what I'm doing! lol :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top