March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited January 2011
    Why isn't the routing tool working? I tried to make the edges of my world non-routable for the camera, and rebuilt the routing data just before exporting, but when I tested it in game, it still went over the edges.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • water_cat1water_cat1 Posts: 751 New Member
    edited January 2011
    The camera routing doesn't hide those areas of land. It just stops the camera from being over them, so if you don't have distant terrain or hills on the edge to block the camera's line of sight, then you will be able to see the edge of the map even with camera routing paint.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited January 2011
    Okay, thanks!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited January 2011
    Also, I've found you must paint out at least 1 1/2 - 2 chunk boundaries on the edges for it to have any effect.
  • acemoneyacemoney Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but I honestly can't get the CAW tool to download onto my computer no matter what I've done.
    Obviously I'm doing it wrong ebcause it surely cannot be this hard since I managed to get it to function on my laptop.. until it died and thus the reasoning for the pc.

All rambling aside will someone tell this idiot how to download a functioning version of CAW?! PLEASE?!
    edited February 2011
    If you are having problems with the link, try this;
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/worldtool.exe

Does it download, but not install?
  • acemoneyacemoney Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    Yes that was great thanks a million. Now to get practicing!
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited February 2011
    I read the tutorial about adding families to the world with CAW but he/she used mods in order to do it. Is there a way to add families in CAW without mods? I want to add some Sunset Valley families but I do not know why. I've tried with the "edit in game" option in CAW but I can only add residential and community lots.

Thank you.
    edited February 2011
    No, there's no way to do it without the mods, but I have to say, the mods in question, Twallens, are non-core mods I believe, and are very easy to put in, and take out, unlike Awesomemod which I've always had trouble with.

Twallens mods you just drag and drop them into your mods folder, and when you're done with them, pull them out. Although, you may find you really like his story progression mod once you use it a bit.

If your issue with the mods is that you're apprehensive to use them, or aren't sure how to set them up, it's very easy. at the bottom of the first post, under CC is a link to walk you through setting up your mods folder. If you need any clarifications, just post back here.
    edited February 2011
    No, there's no way to do it without the mods, but I have to say, the mods in question, Twallens, are non-core mods I believe, and are very easy to put in, and take out, unlike Awesomemod which I've always had trouble with.

Twallens mods you just drag and drop them into your mods folder, and when you're done with them, pull them out. Although, you may find you really like his story progression mod once you use it a bit.

If your issue with the mods is that you're apprehensive to use them, or aren't sure how to set them up, it's very easy. at the bottom of the first post, under CC is a link to walk you through setting up your mods folder. If you need any clarifications, just post back here.
  • MadDuckieMadDuckie Posts: 26
    edited March 2011
    How do I delete roads :?:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited March 2011
    Hi MadDuckie :mrgreen:

Just click on them with your pointer, then hit the delete key on your keyboard.
    edited March 2011
    HI! I need help (yes agian),I was placing trees when I put one on the road, I didn't like that(who whould want a tree in the middle of the road?)so I tried to delete it, but I dont know how! Please help!
    edited March 2011
    If you can click on the tree to select it, then you can use your delete key again. Since it's on the road, sometimes it wont let you select it, it just selects the road. This is what you do. Go to the top left options menu, click on "View" then on "Tree names". Find the number, then the same number in the layer your trees are in, under "objects". Right click on it, and delete.

Hope that makes sense. :D

24bq4uq.jpg
    edited March 2011
    If you can click on the tree to select it, then you can use your delete key again. Since it's on the road, sometimes it wont let you select it, it just selects the road. This is what you do. Go to the top left options menu, click on "View" then on "Tree names". Find the number, then the same number in the layer your trees are in, under "objects". Right click on it, and delete.

Hope that makes sense. :D

24bq4uq.jpg
    Thank You For all of the help! It worked :D
  • SimsomeSimsome Posts: 91 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Hello all~

I have a custom world ready to upload to the exchange (is in my exports in game launcher ready to upload).

I've searched for a faq/explanation of what happens once I upload my world and did not see anything. Is there a faq explaining what happens once I 'click' upload? :) ie. Do I:

- Start new thread for my world and add pictures of world to that thread?
    - Add link to my thread to the World Index thread.
    - Will I automatically be given the link to my uploaded world that others will use to download?
    - Size of pictures in thread (ie pic below ok?) How many pics are allowed?

Thank you in advance for any step-by-step info after exporting/uploading world!

11Clover.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited March 2011
    Ooo, Pretty! :mrgreen:

After you get a successful upload, (Sometimes it takes several tries), go to your homepage here on the EA site. Look in your studio, you should see it there, if not you didn't get a successful upload. click on it and the download page for it will pop up.

Start a thread here on the Caw forum with the name of your world in the title. Include info for the downloader such as what ep's, and sp's are needed. and approx. number of lots, what size world it is. and anything else you think is pertinent information. I always like to know if a world is CC free or not. If not, what CC is in it, just patterns, or other stuff.
    Make sure to include pretty pictures so everyone can see what they're downloading, and add the link to the download page you just found. If you need help with adding links, let me know.

Now just post in the World index the info Simmerville needs to list it.

register.jpg

It's a pity how many world threads escapes everyone's attention just because the world was released and the thread gets less busy as the creator moved on to new projects. How are new simmers supposed to find those threads and downloads? World creators: Register your world here at World Index and people will find it even when you slow down on thread bumping

Here are the requirements to get listed:
    * Your world must have a name.
    * Your world must be at least 25% done - meaning ideas and projects starting next week must wait.
    * There must be a thread on this board dedicated to the world, where you will post pictures and news on the progress.
    * All essential information including at least one picture of your world, must be available in your top post.

World Index is split in 3 sections, in the works (red), undergoing testing (blue), and completed (green). When your world goes blue or green, a download link should be in the top post of your thread.

The World Index thread is currently maintained every 7-10 days.

To register a new world please copy the following text block, and fill in as much as possible and post it.
    NAME: ? - by ?
    Link to thread: ?
    Tech: ? EP required * File size: ? MB * ? R-lots * ? C-lots
    Theme: ? (Just a couple lines - more info in your world's thread)
    Release date: ? (no date = pending)
    Beta testing dates: ? to ? (no date = pending)

If you don't include the dates you must make it clear whether the world should be red, blue or green. Setting dates for release and testing, helps possible testers (and others) to know when they should reserve some time for your project.

Adjusting a post
    To adjust your existing post, simply copy your post from the index, adjust what is needed and post it again in this thread. If the link to your thread is correct, you don't need to include it. If you want to adjust just one detail you can of course post that line, only.
    It's always useful if you include which section it's currently sorting under (green, blue, red).

Thank you for registering with the World Index! :-)

That should do it :D
    edited March 2011
    Hello auntielynds ~

Before posting earlier, I checked the World Index thread and some of the world CAW threads and it all seems fairly straight forward, but I wanted to make sure before uploading! Thank you so much for replying!

One other thing I would like to know... I used custom world terrain paint (Martine's and Bogsims ~ I will be giving credit to them in my thread). Do people need the terrain paint downloads installed in their game for the custom world terrain paint I used in CAW to show up in their game?

When I originally made this world for Ambitions and WA I had no CC installed (other than the paint). However, I had EA store content installed when I updated my world for LN. I will list those items in my thread (just a couple of doors/windows and a few of the free items, ie. Harvest Bounty and Halloween Treats - used in the Consignment Store!).

I'm in the process of transferring pics to photobucket and getting thread info. I have been checking/playing my world for a couple of months so hopefully, once uploaded, it will be ready for the "green" section (unless someone finds something I missed!). :)

Thanks again for your help!
    edited March 2011
    The terrain paint Like Martine's and Regina's get packaged up with your .world file, so no, they show fine without others needing to download.
    edited March 2011
    Great! My world would look "lawn green" without the terrain paint showing up! lol

Thanks again.

• syg1523syg1523 Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2011
    Hello Everybody!

I'm am new at this CAW stuff, so about a week or so ago I started creating my first World. My world is based off of a Victorian story I am writing because I couldn't seem to find one that would fit the Victorian atmosphere I was looking for.
    Anyway, the reason for my response to this forum is because I am having a bit of some difficulty with the sidewalks. They are looking sparse and almost see-through in some spots and it's driving me mad. It even shows up weir in Edit In Game too.

[/img]I've tried deleting them and putting down another road, but the sparseness keeps coming back either in the same spots or in other parts of the road and sidewalks. I even made sure that I followed the tutorials on how to create custom roads and sidewalks. I don't know what else to do to fix it.  Can someone tell me if I've done something or if someone knows how to fix it.  Has anyone else experienced this same sparseness too.
    edited March 2011
    Hi Syg :D

Sounds like you're using the wrong texture for the opacity section in sidewalks.

These pics were for a dirt road, but you see under the sidewalk setting there is "Opacity Map"? In that spot you need a full opacity.

Here's a link to my Opacity folder, the only ones not in there are the tarmac opacity from Twinbrook. I like to keep a separate folder with all of them in it so I can find them easily. In the folder there is a .jpg of each texture so you can easily see what the .dds texture is.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4mjzzzgyhcm

23iy15w.jpg

2cs6pep.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Okay! I fixed the street and the sidewalk sparseness went away but now I have another problem.
    Some of the files for the streets don't say .detail or .base so when I try to use those, I get a nice looking road but not the color or effect that I want. I do get how to do it now, but I don't have the gray-colored cobblestone road that I want. I keep getting reddish colored roads. How can I change the colors? I guess I would need Photoshop for that right?
    edited March 2011
    LOL!! :lol: I'm rolling on the floor laughing right now! DUH! Nevermind! I answered my own question and I even figured out the problem. It was all a matter of picking the right textures and details to begin with.

Thanks for your help, auntielynds!
    edited March 2011
    Good, glad you got it. The custom road thing can be confusing at first, but pretty soon you get the hang of it. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top