March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• RainbowBluesRainbowBlues Posts: 319
    edited November 2010
  • somechick10011somechick10011 Posts: 809 Member
    edited November 2010
    is 1024x1024 a large or medium map?
    edited November 2010
    one more question :):)
    you know there are like 3 different types of science facilities???
    well i don't see them when I'm trying to make a world or in edit town?
    :):):)
    thanks
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited November 2010
    1024 is a medium map
    2048 is a large map

The Science Facilities;

In EIG;
    Edit Town;
    Commercial lot;
    Build Section
    Commercial buildings

They should be there, make sure you are editing a commercial lot. I've done that before, thought "Hey! where's the Rabbit-holes?", only to realize I had forgotten to change the lot from residential to commercial. :lol:
    edited November 2010
    Thanks a ton!!! I'll go and try that right now :)
  • pae40099pae40099 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Hey, I have a very frustrating problem.

This is my first time experimenting with CAW so I know there is a huge change I've done something wrong. However, everything seemed fine until I upload the world. I click upload and after it scans the sims3package a red icon sits in the status box and no error message comes up.

Ive tried installing it in my game (which is the whole purpose) and it shows up in the download section of the launcher (not highlighted) I try to install it and it says its already installed. Ive looked in the installed content section and its not there. Ive tried removing all traces of my world from anywhere close to that folder and I'm still having no luck.

I have searched online and through forums and have come out empty. So now I'm saying a need some help cause I am so lost.

Please help!!
  • ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure what your problem is, and maybe someone will pop in that has a clue, but until then here's some ideas.

Since you're posting on this thread I'm assuming you've read the first post, right? You might want to double check the sections "Exporting Your World", "Installing Your World", and "Uploading Your World" just to make sure you didn't miss a step.
    Did you "rebuild routing data" before you saved and exported? If not, that might be the problem. Whenever you're going to export always make sure to go to View, the "Rebuild routing data" (it's at the bottom). SAVE, then export.

As for the "already installed" issue, read the "Installing your world" section in this FAQ and see if that helps.

I hope some of this helps, oh and if you haven't already, you might want to check out this video about exporting worlds, as that might help you out too, especially if you're a visual learner.

I hope some of this helps! Let me know how it goes. ^^
    edited November 2010
    I have read those section all before, I rebuilt the routing data before I added a name/description/pic. I sorry, I know your trying to be helpful but Ive read all the sections and many more before I posted a question on here. ( even watched that exact video) I think I've followed every step correctly in the uploading/installing procedure. I think there's something wrong with the file. I a noobie at this program so I'm betting on that. I just don't know what I did wrong and if there is anyway to save it. I made it all pretty... :(
    edited November 2010
    Hey Shalua!

Good to see you again! I was worried some horrible fate befell you. :(

Your thread here got deleted a month or so ago when some unscrupulous hacker gained administrator entry to the forums, and deleted the front page of all the forums, all the threads were lost. I was able to copy your thread from TS3CC to post back here. We miss you at TS3CC, Meresimp keeps asking me if I've seen you about. :mrgreen: I hope you come back. :D

Pae40099,
    These are the steps I take once I've exported a world after the first time to check it in game.

1. I uninstall the previous version through the launcher first. If it's saying it is still installed, it should be in your installed content.

2. Open up Windows Explorer, go to:
    Documents/
    Electronic Arts/
    Sims 3/
    WorldCaches...............delete anything with your world name, then go to:
    Installed Worlds.............Do the same as above, go to:
    DCBackup....................Delete everything. You should do this once in awhile anyway, this file just keeps collecting stuff and grows to a huge size.

I've just exported, I open up windows explorer, go to:
    Documents/
    Electronic Arts/
    Sims 3/
    Exports

Your Worlds .sims3pack should be sitting right there. I double click on it, and it should install. You may have to manually drop it into your downloads folder and do it through the Launcher. Since Ambitions came out I've had to manually drop all my .sims3packs into the downloads folder.

This is what I do, if you've moved or deleted files, before uninstalling through the Launcher, that could be a problem. If you've already gone through all these steps, we may need some advice from someone more knowledgeable then myself.

If you've done all this, here are a few question you can answer so I know better what you've done so far;

1. Have you uploaded your world before to the exchange? You don't need to upload your world in order to test it out, also, you can only upload your world once to the Exchange, unless you extract and replace files with s3pe.
    2. Have you installed your world before to your PC?
    3. Exactly how did you uninstall it?
    4. Have you moved your DCCache file out, then started the game and it generated a new one?
    edited November 2010
    1. I tried to upload the world to the exchange and a red icon appears and says "a system error has occurred" (the launcher has not timed out and my internet access is good)

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean, I used riverview as a template and changed things. Then I saved it under a new name. So I dont know what you mean when you say "installed to PC"

3. Since I cant locate it in the installed content portion of the launcher I go through the sims 3 folder (sub folder of my documents) and delete the file (or any related file) from downloads, world cache, and pretty much anywhere else in the sims 3 folder. The weird part is I expected to see it in installed world and its not. The files contained in the folder are .world files. I'm not sure if i should drop a .world file in there considering i have the sims3package file. I figured that would kinda decompress and all the settings and other crap that's apart of the file would come out once I downloaded it.

4. I haven't really touched the DCCache file. I didn't want to start moving stuff around unless I knew what I was doing.

So I'm going to give you the readers digest version of what I've done.

I open CAW and then opened Riverview (riverview_lite.world). My goal was just to change some aspects about the land and make the center island basically a mini Manhattan. Since the skyscrapers in Late Night are such odd sizes, I didn't want to put a 64x64 lot down every time wanted one. So I found out about this program and decided to make my own. So I'm going along my merry way and CAW crashed with a error message saying something like the instance of the object... i wrote it down and cant find it. After some trial and error and a lot of looking online I think that I pressed some buttons while in the road placement section. Anyway...Several times once it crashed the error message allows you to ignore it and then I saved. Once I saved and tried to do something else the crash message came up and I aborted. (Yes I have considered that this very action has corrupted the file, however everything seemed fine)

Moving along, I changed things here and there and I finally had what I wanted. I did not add lots except for the center island, no trees or rocks. The things I did add were spawners, a couple of effects and a few bridges. I don't know much about layers but I have the "global Layer" that comes with the basic file and I added one more layer called "lots" that I put everything else on. I put one of each spawner (not the foreign ones) so there's not too many of those. Then I rebuilt the routing data and added a name, description, and picture and then saved. The I selected the file to be exported and I showed up in the uploads section of the launcher. I tried to upload and the green bar loaded but then the status became a red icon. I figured that wasn't a good sign. So I double clicked the file in my documents (the newly created sims3package file) and it showed up in the download section of the launcher. The Installing screen came up and once it hit 100% it said that it was already installed. I went to my installed content section, was not there. Played the game, Not there. I have uninstalled, reinstalled and and done the bloody backstroke in varying ways all without success.

I think the file is corrupted somehow...I just want an opinion before I start all over again.
    edited November 2010
    OMG I made it work!!! Since I used riverview as a base it must have recognized it. So in deleting riverview it worked!!!!!!!!! YEY!!

Thanks for all your help!!!!
    edited November 2010
    Edit,
    I got stopped in the middle of responding to you, and you posted in the mean time. Yes riverview is the problem. If you want to have both worlds installed at the same time, you can follow the instructions below.

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry for making you type everything out, but I just needed more info. The problem I think is the Riverview lite base you used. Your game still thinks it's the same file, even though you've renamed, and resaved.

This is what you will need to do if you want to be able to install it, and play it.

1. Open Caw, and open a New World with these settings;
    Large, Flat, Height 300.
    Name it what you want your real world to be, save, and close.

2. If you don't have s3pe you will need to download it here;
    Simlogical and the Dead End Nights
    This is a free program created by Peter and Inge Jones, who have been in the modding end of the sims community for a long time.

Okay, now you've downloaded s3pe.

On your desktop, create a new folder, because you'll need a temporary place to put your exported .world files into.

Open up S3pe, click on "File" on the bar at the top, click on "Open", and find your .world file that you have completed, but won't install correctly. The Riverview lite one.
    It should be in;
    Documents,
    Electronic Arts,
    Sims 3 Create a World
    UserToolData
    Worlds

It should look like this, I'm opening up my WhovilleBeta;
    Make sure you click the "All Files" option, or your .world file won't show up.
    s3pe210.jpg

Once you open it up, this is what it will look like;

s3pe10.jpg

Now, you want to export all of those files to that folder you just created on your desktop. I click on the first file, hit and hold Ctrl and Shift keys, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the last file. This will take awhile for all the files to get highlighted, but when they are, right click on those files, and choose "Export" ; "To File" and find your empty folder you made and click on it.
    Close that .world, and open up the New .world you just created in Caw.
    Click on "Resources" at the top of the page, then "Import", "From File", and choose the file you just exported all those other files to.

Now just hit the Ctrl + A keys to select all of the files in the folder, and click "Open". This is what you'll get. When the window pops up check;
    Replace Duplicates
    Compress,
    use resource name
    Just click "import", and then click on "file" on the top bar again, and "Save".

s3pe410.jpg

s3pe510.jpg

Open up Caw, and open up the new world, and see if everything looks like the old one. if every things okay, export it and try to install.

Let me know how it goes. :-)

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2010
    Hey Shalua!

Good to see you again! I was worried some horrible fate befell you. :(

Your thread here got deleted a month or so ago when some unscrupulous hacker gained administrator entry to the forums, and deleted the front page of all the forums, all the threads were lost. I was able to copy your thread from TS3CC to post back here. We miss you at TS3CC, Meresimp keeps asking me if I've seen you about. :mrgreen: I hope you come back. :D

Hey, it's good to see you too! I've really missed the sims and the sims community a lot. I'm sorry I just up and dropped off the sims planet a while back. After I moved I just got caught up in real life and I pretty much dropped video games (and everything involving my computer) all together. I've been a lot busier with school and work - got a promotion by the way! I'm now working 36-39 hours each week, plus my two classes. Anyway, I'm hoping to try and slowly immerse myself back into the sims. I will probably pop in over at TS3CC in a couple weeks, and if not then definitely after exams are done. (around Dec 15th or so)
    Also, nothing terrible has befallen me. If anything life's gotten a bit brighter these past several months. :)

Oh and thank you for reposting this! And by all means feel free to add/edit anything you want, the more info the better.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm finally starting to figure this thing out! The youtube tutorials have been especially helpful. The biggest hurdle I was having turned out to be stupidly simple. :oops:
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    edited November 2010
    ldmarko wrote:
    The biggest hurdle I was having turned out to be stupidly simple. :oops:

Haha, what was it? I know I've definitely had my share of "DUH" moments. xD
    edited November 2010
    Shalua wrote:
    ldmarko wrote:
    The biggest hurdle I was having turned out to be stupidly simple. :oops:

Haha, what was it? I know I've definitely had my share of "DUH" moments. xD

Adding a new layer. lol

Now I'm trying to figure out intersections. I can get them in place at the end of the road, but they don't seem to work in cross streets. Do I need to delete a section of road? I'm sure that'll be another "DUH" moment. :)

And I can't get it to save when I do an in-game edit. Is that a glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the progress of my first world. It's been a good lesson in patience, something I'm not exactly known for. :-)

• JessLillJessLill Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Okie dokie. So I need help. I have made my world. It looks great. And I am ready to export it so I can upload it into my game. Problem is it say I need a darn picture. I have everything else set up, the title and description. But no matter how hard I try I cannot get a picture to work with the program!!!! It's frustrating. I have looked up how to change the file to .png, and did that successfully. I had to look up how to change the size to 256x256, and did that well also. Now the only problem is it CAW say it has to be 24-bit color image. And I have tried to change it to that. but it isn't working. I have used three different programs for this AVS4YOU, Pixelformer, and Gimp 2. This is just really frustrating and I need help. Is there any way I can fix this?
    edited November 2010
    Idmarko:
    Nice! I think I spent about 20 minutes my first time with CAW trying to figure out how to add a layer. Then I found out that right-click is my friend! ;)

I'm really bad at explaining things, and I'm not exactly sure what it is you're having trouble with, but here's a video on making intersections, does that help at all?

What exactly happens when you try to save in EIG mode? Sometimes when I'm saving in EIG, I have to alt+tab twice to get it to switch back to CAW, then hit "ok" on the save prompt (for some reason it comes up in CAW, not EIG for me...) then I alt+tab back to EIG. I'm pretty sure I get another save prompt or something in EIG after that, I can't remember at the moment. I'll check again when I use it later today. Anyway, I hope at least some of this helps!

JessLill:
    Hmm if you saved the image file as 256x256, and it's 24-bit png it should work. It sounds like you're having trouble with the "24-bit" part, if CAW is telling you it's not right. I only use photoshop, but I know most people use free programs like the one you listed. For Pixelformer did you follow this tutorial step-by-step?
    I'm sorry, I'm really no help with other image editing programs, cause I never use them... :( My only other suggestion would be as a last resort, perhaps use one of the pre-made images for CAW listed on the first post?
  • NokuoroNokuoro Posts: 3,413 New Member
    edited November 2010
    ok I need some help with the Suspension Bridge.

Ok, so I have placed the bridge to the level i want it. I got the road right up to it and when I try connecting the road to the bridge.. it wont do anything.
    I try adjusting the road..nothing
    I tried lowering the bridge and it still wont connect.

Any ways to get around this and make the bridge connect to the road? :(
    edited November 2010
    Quoting Juelle_lou from your other post,

juelle_lou wrote:
    From my experience you have to drag the road in a lot further than the other bridges.

Try dragging the road up to the second metal grate.

CAW2010-11-2313-06-58-07.jpg"width=640"
    edited November 2010
    Shalua wrote:
    Idmarko:
    Nice! I think I spent about 20 minutes my first time with CAW trying to figure out how to add a layer. Then I found out that right-click is my friend! ;)

I'm really bad at explaining things, and I'm not exactly sure what it is you're having trouble with, but here's a video on making intersections, does that help at all?

What exactly happens when you try to save in EIG mode? Sometimes when I'm saving in EIG, I have to alt+tab twice to get it to switch back to CAW, then hit "ok" on the save prompt (for some reason it comes up in CAW, not EIG for me...) then I alt+tab back to EIG. I'm pretty sure I get another save prompt or something in EIG after that, I can't remember at the moment. I'll check again when I use it later today. Anyway, I hope at least some of this helps!

Thanks, that video did help. It looks like I'm going to have to start over my roads from scratch, though. All part of the learning experience, I guess. :)

I've been to busy for simming the last few days, but I should have some time to work on it this morning, before the holiday festivities begin. I'll see what I can accomplish!

• chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited November 2010
    OMG can u tell me how to get that road!!??
    edited November 2010
    This road?
    Looks to me like they just darkened up the asphalt color, or it could be one of the LN roads Drowssap extracted. Check the roads section on the Terrain Textures Links in my siggy.

CAW2010-11-2313-06-58-07.jpg"width=400"
  • krizia1234krizia1234 Posts: 241 New Member
    edited November 2010
    :?:How do we get them to the game:?:
  • ryty1231ryty1231 Posts: 79
    edited November 2010
    Hi there! I have a question about assigning a lot type. When I go to the menu, I can't find corporate towers anywhere on the list of types. How would I assign a lot that type. Thanks.:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top