March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much for your help in CAW in so many areas. However I have been trying and trying to get custom content in CAW. I followed the instructions about amending the Resource.Cfg file in CAW but nothing shows up. It doesn't show up in edit town mode either. However it does show up when on a lot in build buy mode, but I am unable to use some of the items such a street arrows or road sign and overhead street lights. Could it be possible that it goes in the document fold of CAW
    instead Programs? Or what am I doing wrong. :?:
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited July 2011
    jona67,
    Try this first; Create A World - CAW not running? CAW running slowly? by Simsample
    If that's no help look through the threads on the MTS Create a World Forum concerning EIG. I have generations, and the new patch installed on my laptop, and I've been unable to save in EIG with it. Haven't found a solution yet, but I haven't really tried much yet sense it's not the one I use for Caw most of the time.

vcosley,
    This is what my files look like, and my CC shows up.

2m3fr6e.jpg

aw25o8.jpg

32zhohj.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2011
    jona67,
    Try this first; Create A World - CAW not running? CAW running slowly? by Simsample
    If that's no help look through the threads on the MTS Create a World Forum concerning EIG. I have generations, and the new patch installed on my laptop, and I've been unable to save in EIG with it. Haven't found a solution yet, but I haven't really tried much yet sense it's not the one I use for Caw most of the time.

vcosley,
    This is what my files look like, and my CC shows up.

2m3fr6e.jpg

aw25o8.jpg

32zhohj.jpg

That is what mine looks like, I see I did it right. But I can't find the items. I will look again, maybe the name is different. Thank you so much, I think you are a great help. What would we do without you? Thanks again
    edited June 2011
    Ok I looked at my folders it was under documents, I don't know how I did that since I put the packages folder in C/Programs(x86/ElectronicArts/Sims3CreatAWorldTool and amended Resource.Cfg which is only under programs (x86). So I re-did it. Now the problem is it won't let me download, I get the message (unable to create the folder), so I Copied and pasted the file in the folder. That worked. I haven't checked to see if anything shows up yet. I will later, this is giving me a brain freeze. :roll:
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi auntielynds :D

I'm having a tad problem with CAW CC. I have the CC correctly installed in CAW, as I can place them in CAW etc.

HOWEVER, in EIG, they do not show. Where they are supposed to be, they are not. Even when I go up close to their spot, they do not render at all. It's like I never placed them. :shock:

So, I've been thinking. Do I need to place the CAW CC in thesims3>packages also? So they appear in-game (EIG) too? But there's a problem.. I do not try the above theory (yet) as the Riverview facades do not spawn in EIG, even though Riverview IS installed to my game. I don't have a notion why they do not appear. Perhaps you do?

Thanks in advance, Lynds :D
    edited June 2011
    I think you have to have the items installed in your regular sims 3 mods folder. In the Packages folder I keep a separate folder with all my Caw CC. So it looks like this;

42wwg.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Okay, thanks, I'll try what you said and see what happens. :mrgreen:
    edited June 2011
    Hi Auntielynds. :)

Just popping in to say that what you said worked. The RV facades now show up in EIG, as well as the other CC. Thanks a mil! ;)
  • RandersRanders Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much for this guide! It has been really helpfull!

I have been working on my first world, and have exported it to the launcher, but when i try to install it, it just says that it is already installed. But the world doesn't show up in the menu in the game or in the installed content in the launcher.
    I have tried removing every trace of the world and re-exporting it several times, but nothing is working.

Does anyone know what I can do?
    edited June 2011
    If you used the Riverview_lite to build your world on, the game recognizes it as already installed. There's a very easy fix. You use a free program called s3pe, Sims 3 Package Editor) to open up your .world file, before you export it, and delete a file named WPID. The WPID file is like a product code, if two worlds have the same code, the game thinks they are the same.

I wrote a very easy tutorial on how to do it, just don't let the program intimidate you. I was scared to use it at first, but once I took the plunge, I was using it all the time. You can recolor the rabittholes, and trees, fun stuff!

Here's the tut, and let me know if you need any clarification on anything. :D
    http://customsims3.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=102&pid=347#pid347
  • RandersRanders Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much auntielynds, you are amazing! It worked! :mrgreen: Now I can finally try out my world.
  • kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2011
    I hope this is the right place to ask this... So, I've modified the original Sunset Valley but left the original commercial and residential lots (added the Ambitions and Late Night commercial lots). When I reviewed the addresses in EIG, everything looked ok so I packaged the world and was moving on to testing it in the actual game. Now when I look at the addresses, I get weird lot names (on commercial lots and vacant houses - vacant land and occupied houses appear to be ok).

For example Central Park's lot name is:

World/Pleasant_Valley/LotName:9038443088839058560

The vacant Myrtle Bungalow's lot name is:

World/SV/HouseName:Myrtle

Any advice on how to make them right in the games would be appreciated, thanks!
    edited June 2011
    You know, I've seen this with exported worlds, but I don't know what the issue is. If I were you, I'd just copy and paste your post into a new thread in this forum so you get a wider audience. Someone out there is bound to know what's up, and I don't think most of them check in on this thread. I'd be interested to know how to fix it too. :)

Edit;
    Found this at MTS http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=425760&highlight=lot+address
  • kc922kc922 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks auntielynds, I'll give it a try now. :D

Edit: It works! Now if I can only figure out why my new world crashes, LOL.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • paulamunzenpaulamunzen Posts: 14
    edited June 2011
    Important Information with Last Patch, (Generations), and Caw.

Quote by Simsample in this thread;
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/394572.page#5567633

simsample wrote:
    paulamunzen, the problem you are describing seems to be caused when you have the latest game patch and CAW but NOT Generations.

People are finding that the new CAW will not work without Generations as the program is looking for the TS3W executable (as in Auntie's screenshots), but that executable only exists if you have Generations.

The only fixes seem to be:
    1) Buy Generations (BOO EA!)
    or-
    2) Backup your saves/ Worlds/ CC, Uninstall your entire game and CAW, then reinstall your game, patch up to 1.19 (pre-Generations) and then install the pre-Generations version of CAW (If you can find it, as EA have removed that from their server).

You can get the Pre-Generations version of Caw here;
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wscuxp625bkryxm

Yes, that fixed my CAW, although I need patch 1.19 and now I just have 1.17 and I can't find it.

By the way, It loads normally without those error screens, but then it says that that the version of CAW is incompatible with the game.

I think that I need the patch to fix this.
  • Tigersaurus7Tigersaurus7 Posts: 8
    edited June 2011
    If I have to uninstall my games, do I need the codes and stuff to re-install them? Because I dont have them anymore.
    edited June 2011
    Yes, you need the codes, but if you lost them, you can obtain new ones. You need to contact EA customer service.
    edited June 2011
    vcosley wrote:
    Ok I looked at my folders it was under documents, I don't know how I did that since I put the packages folder in C/Programs(x86/ElectronicArts/Sims3CreatAWorldTool and amended Resource.Cfg which is only under programs (x86). So I re-did it. Now the problem is it won't let me download, I get the message (unable to create the folder), so I Copied and pasted the file in the folder. That worked. I haven't checked to see if anything shows up yet. I will later, this is giving me a brain freeze. :roll:

Now my problem is, somethings show up in CAW and other don't. They don't show up in EIG or CAW. I was trying to download road signs for CAW. The street arrows showed up but not the signs. They show up in build buy mode with the other things. I don't understand. Everything shows up in my package fold in CAW but not everything shows up in CAW. I downloaded these file from Simming In Magnificent Style, he has such wonderful items.
  • lovingredslovingreds Posts: 1,920 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Hiya Auntielynds,

I made a tutorial showing step by step, how to deconstruct an apartment to get the post box. I found it very hard to understand other tutorial as some left out important steps, so i made one with images to show what to do, took me weeks.

I know there is one showing how to make an house apartment , I also added a link to this in my post.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/364138.page
  • pinkbuttercuppinkbuttercup Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    hey im new to the sims 3 and i was so excited when i went to download the beta sim 3 create a world but when it had finshed downloading it wouldnt open properly im not sure if it just me or is every1 having this problem but i would really like some help because im really really disapointed that it didnt work... please help thanks :)
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited July 2011
    Two little lists I made on Pasimfic Wiki that people may or may not find handy:

http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/wiki/Rabbithole_lot_sizes

This is just the rabbit hole sizes made into a sortable table. Could be useful.

http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/wiki/Aligning_Distant_Terrain

This one is more handy. It lists the names of each distant terrain alongside their positions and rotations. I'll update it as new terrains appear with EPs.

As always, feel free to add or correct Pasimfic Wiki at any time. It's just me there really, but don't let that put you off. There are no barriers to participation on that wiki.
  • StarrTigerStarrTiger Posts: 153 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I can't for the life of me get the world creator to open. It's shows me the splash screen and then it goes away and nothing happens. Is there a way I can uninstall it and re-install it?
    edited July 2011
    Startiger,

Yes, do uninstall, clean out your Cache files, and use a registry cleaner. Then reinstall. I use CC Cleaner it's free and safe, just google it.

Uninstall it by going to your control panel, and find the "Add/Remove Programs"

CAW not running? CAW running slowly? by Simsample at MTS
    simsample wrote:
    Here are some things to try if your CAW program runs slowly or gives and error message upon starting.

Clear Caches:
    • First, clear your CAW caches- delete Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ WorldbuilderCache and Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ LocalWork.
    • Next, clear your game caches- click here!
    Gelis has found that for Windows 7 users you may need to delete your Virtual Store files too- C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool. You can also delete the corresponding files for The Sims 3 from there safely, too. These files are hidden so you may need to set your operating system to show hidden files to find these.

Remove in-game CC:
    • CAW will read any custom content that you have installed to your Sims 3 game, even if it cannot be used by CAW (for example, clothes and hairstyles). This can mean that your computer will not perform well with CAW. To solve this, try removing your custom content whilst you run CAW to see if you get a better performance. Remove Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Mods for game version 1.12 upwards (click HERE for removing older framework files).

Check Patch levels:
    • CAW needs your game to be fully updated. If you are having issues then check that your game is fully up to date.
      http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Patching
    • Once your game is updated, backup your CAW userdata by copying Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData to somewhere safe.
    • Then, uninstall CAW, redownload CAW from the Sims 3 Website and reinstall it. Replace your backup userdata once you are done.

Make the CAW executable Large Address Aware:
    Computer performance:
    Edit in Game crashing/ not saving:

If you are having trouble making EIG save your world, there are a few things you can try.
    • Firstly, try creating lots in-game and adding them to your world from the library via EIG (instead of building them from scratch in EIG).
    • Secondly, try freeing up some memory by closing CAW once EIG has opened (Courtesy of BenC0722 in this thread. ) This is particularly useful since Generations, when the problem has been occurring with the latest CAW.

CAW loading Launcher instead of Edit-in-Game:

If Launcher pops up instead of EIG mode, or if you get a message about CAW being unable to find TS3.exe:

This seems to be a problem specific to having the latest version of CAW (1.11.9) with the level 11 patches but without Generations.

The only known cures are:
    • Try this fix from SimAd.
      OR:
    • Backup your user files (Sims 3 and CAW). Uninstall your game, reinstall it and patch up to level 10, then reinstall CAW version 1.11.4. This may be difficult to find, since EA do not archive old versions of CAW on their servers.
      OR:
    • Install Generations.

Steam Users:
    Thanks to auntielynds for indirectly reminding me of this! ;)
    If you have purchased and installed The Sims 3 through Steam, you will find that CAW will not work correctly. This is because the Steam version of TS3 has a different file structure and uses different registry keys, so CAW is not able to correctly read the game data. To solve this, use your Steam license keys to download TS3 from EADM (now known as Origins) instead of through Steam:

Source for this:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746411

Please feel free to add any more suggestions to this thread!
  • maaniomaanio Posts: 247
    edited July 2011
    Dear Auntielynds :-)

Thank you for your comment on my topic.
    Every time I thank to this forum, I really need follow and advice when I started using CAW.

Thank you so much for your help and great works :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top