Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I noticed my sim only got the fear of the dead end job once she maxed her career. I don’t believe it goes away until they successfully regain passion for their job. So getting promoted etc won’t make a difference because the fear trait is linked to regaining passion.

I’m really hopeful for the wants and fears, with improvement they will be great I think. I notice relationship wants don’t really happen past asking a crush out though. I liked in the sims 3 how wished seemed to follow each other like, first kiss then going steady then getting married etc.

In my sim's case, she did not have the fear when she went to work, and only developed it when she returned that night having gotten promoted. Not a condition under which "Dead End Job" should be a concern. And she's not at the top of the career yet.

Also I've had sims overcome the fear of a dead end job by regaining their passion, only to have it show up again the very next time they went to work. I have no idea what triggers it or how to avoid it. What I do know is that it shows up unrealistically often, and I really don't want to blow 300 satisfaction points every time the game decides that despite everything work wise going well for the sim, they see it as a dead end for no discernable reason. (Fortunately, there are cheats for that. The one good thing about it being a temporary trait.)
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm not sure if I mentioned on this thread already but the music station related wants really have to be toned down

cause if you have sim that likes multiple music styles thats literally all they get listen to this listen to that listen to this oh listen to that again all day every day until they sleep and get the same wants -again.

also i thought it was so cool that my simself got anxiety of being judged by people cause mood but then all I literally had to do to get over it was to talk to random sim twice

huh. wish I knew that ive totally been wasting my life with this anxiety thing i should have just talked to Geeta Rasoya about our differences I would be perfectly happy if i did that oh how silly of me

and she totally is so supportive and sweet even though we are literally worst enemies cause I've been using her as food

*proceeds to go talk about differences with my neighbors who barely know I exist -at 3am*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,859 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I mentioned on this thread already but the music station related wants really have to be toned down

cause if you have sim that likes multiple music styles thats literally all they get listen to this listen to that listen to this oh listen to that again all day every day until they sleep and get the same wants -again.

also i thought it was so cool that my simself got anxiety of being judged by people cause mood but then all I literally had to do to get over it was to talk to random sim twice

huh. wish I knew that ive totally been wasting my life with this anxiety thing i should have just talked to Geeta Rasoya about our differences I would be perfectly happy if i did that oh how silly of me

and she totally is so supportive and sweet even though we are literally worst enemies cause I've been using her as food

*proceeds to go talk about differences with my neighbors who barely know I exist -at 3am*

I could not see a difference between music wants and music whims, both are/were focused on one or two genres and ignore everything else. I rarely gave my sims specific likes or dislike for the radio. I want them to have broad interests in music and art. It was a big disappointment to see the second worst whim made into a want that you then couldn't get rid of. Thank god they didn't make bee boxes, dishwashers, and tiny pools into wants, not that deleting those made wants a great success.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I don't like the fact that you can't cancel them, and not fulfilling any for too long as a consequence, namely the Fear of Unfufilled Dreams. My sim now has that fear because he couldn't control the music selections in the magic realm where he was busy following his actual dreams of becoming a virtuoso spellcaster and making Morgyn one of his conquests in his serial romantic aspiration.
    I know that fear is there to create consequences but it takes away our agency to decide the lifetime goals and dreams of our sims, and replaces them with "I didn't get to listen to hip hop for x number of hours so life isn't worth living." Which to be fair does sound like some teens, but it's affecting older sims too.
    The music wants will be less annoying when they fix the part where the earbuds don't fulfil the want. They can listen to those anywhere and while doing other things so that wouldn't hurt me at all. Honestly it's nice to be reminded of what music genres I chose for which sim now and then.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

I could not see a difference between music wants and music whims, both are/were focused on one or two genres and ignore everything else. I rarely gave my sims specific likes or dislike for the radio. I want them to have broad interests in music and art. It was a big disappointment to see the second worst whim made into a want that you then couldn't get rid of. Thank god they didn't make bee boxes, dishwashers, and tiny pools into wants, not that deleting those made wants a great success.

yeah idk its just even worse cause i use favourite music genres a lot and some of my sims have several say they like spooky music metal music and strange tunes they now get listen to want for all of them

if there must be want to listen to at least make it so it only appears once a sim day at most pls
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member
    I agree about the fear of a dead end job being really annoying. It would work better if it triggered after your sim has gone to work for maybe a week without a promotion or something but my sims get it every single time they come home from work. I gave up trying to get rid of it. They can stay sad.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    If you don't mind a mini mod, Lumpinou has released one where you can re-roll all unpinned wants:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/minimod-re-roll-70029880

*Happy dance* :p
  • Options
    I agree about the fear of a dead end job being really annoying. It would work better if it triggered after your sim has gone to work for maybe a week without a promotion or something but my sims get it every single time they come home from work. I gave up trying to get rid of it. They can stay sad.

When I play later today, I'm going to try an experiment. It occurred to me that it may be triggered by needs being in Yellow/Red when they get home from work (or early in going to work) I have UI cheats installed, and I'm going to try keeping their needs up while at work (and going to work all green) and then send them to work and let their needs drop.

If my theory is right, she should come home fine after the night where I keep her needs up, and get the fear on the night where I let her needs drop.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member

Oh my god, THIS!! My Sims constantly have this and it's getting on my nerves. Especially when it's already a hassle to get them to do the stuff they need to for a promotion (it took me forever to get Michelle to sit down long enough to raise her Logic skill because she kept wandering off doing other things) and then after, you have to wait for the performance bar to raise and the further up they are in their career, the slower the bar climbs. It's becoming a real pain in the --- and it's kind of ruining the experience for me. I might end up turning the feature off, to me, it was just a lot more fun to play without it.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

When I play later today, I'm going to try an experiment. It occurred to me that it may be triggered by needs being in Yellow/Red when they get home from work (or early in going to work) I have UI cheats installed, and I'm going to try keeping their needs up while at work (and going to work all green) and then send them to work and let their needs drop.

If my theory is right, she should come home fine after the night where I keep her needs up, and get the fear on the night where I let her needs drop.

Okay, I didn't get to test it as extensively as I wanted to, but it seems to be related to how far your sim's Fun drops, and possibly how tired they are. I only got to send my sim to work 3 times (this is a different save than the one with the chef) The first time, I cheated everything up through the evening so that by the time she came home, nothing had dropped more than 25%. No Fear of Dead end job. The next time, she went to work with her bars maxed out (or close to it) and didn't come home with anything yellow/red, but both energy and fun had dropped a lot. They were maybe just above 50%. Got the Fear. The following time, it was just fun that was close to half, and again, she got the fear.

So it may be the fun meter that's the culprit, which really stinks as almost no job doesn't tank the fun meter to some extent, even if it's in theory a job that matches the aspiration and traits perfectly. Slacking off is an option, but that feels out of character for Ambitious sims or sims that are (in theory) in their "dream career"

I mean, I've been of the opinion that a lot of things need retuning on how they interact with fun, but now even more so.

Oh, and from what I can tell, Gig jobs don't have this issue, even when you send alone. Haven't tested with anything other than the Actor career at this point.

Next time I play, I'm going to continue these experiments. The household now has 2 adults and 5 teenagers in it. I see a lot of part time jobs in those kid's futures.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    One of my married sims got a want to flirt with a female neighbour. I went into CAS and changed her sexual preferences to men only, ditto for her hubby.
  • Options
    _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member

Okay, I didn't get to test it as extensively as I wanted to, but it seems to be related to how far your sim's Fun drops, and possibly how tired they are. I only got to send my sim to work 3 times (this is a different save than the one with the chef) The first time, I cheated everything up through the evening so that by the time she came home, nothing had dropped more than 25%. No Fear of Dead end job. The next time, she went to work with her bars maxed out (or close to it) and didn't come home with anything yellow/red, but both energy and fun had dropped a lot. They were maybe just above 50%. Got the Fear. The following time, it was just fun that was close to half, and again, she got the fear.

So it may be the fun meter that's the culprit, which really stinks as almost no job doesn't tank the fun meter to some extent, even if it's in theory a job that matches the aspiration and traits perfectly. Slacking off is an option, but that feels out of character for Ambitious sims or sims that are (in theory) in their "dream career"

I mean, I've been of the opinion that a lot of things need retuning on how they interact with fun, but now even more so.

Oh, and from what I can tell, Gig jobs don't have this issue, even when you send alone. Haven't tested with anything other than the Actor career at this point.

Next time I play, I'm going to continue these experiments. The household now has 2 adults and 5 teenagers in it. I see a lot of part time jobs in those kid's futures.

Hmm. I’m not sure. My sims are always in really good moods at work because I keep them happy anyway. Their needs are always great, one of my sims is a workaholic so he’s always focussed at work, I’ve tried getting him to work hard, work normally and slack off and he still comes back with that fear 😂
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I do not mind the idea of Wants and Fears and even the idea that they can't be cancelled. If only they would make sense. Most of the issues with them in their current state were already pointed out, and some I want to add.

It looks like some of appearing Wants/Fears perform no logic checks. What I've noticed.
    • Wants ignore age restrictions - like my children roll wants to perform interaction available only for Teens+. I do not mean anything woohoo related. For example Look at bright side - my adult sims can perform it, but the child has no such option still he constantly rolls want to do so.
    • Wants ignoring Dislikes. It's great that they take Likes into account, though these obsessive music genre wants are absolutely unbearable. I had to delete all music preferences from all of my sims thanks to them. But Dislikes are not checked. My sim who dislikes Dancing constantly rolls a wish to dance, sim who dislike fitness wants to Jog etc. I have a feeling Dislikes are not taken into account at all.
    • Wants ignore relationships formed. Like the mentioned want to break up with partner while relationships are actually really good.
    • Wants can contradict each other. Like My sim wanted to be alone and wanted to perform some social at the same time. Or wanted to stay home for X hours and wanted to visit certain lot type at the same time.
    • I do not get a Logic of Job Fear. From how it described it would be logical to assume this one should appear after long time with no career advance and not immediately after promotions.
    • Imho it would be better if Fear of Death triggered Sad emotion instead of Frightened. You do not run around panicked because of some existential fears, you panic from situational fears. These more philosophical fears probably could depress you and made you Said. And also this will solve the problem with lots of panicked elders running around nonsensically.

Aside from these logic issues my main complaint is Toddler wants are mostly nonexistent. Because most of the wants are related to objects and toddlers activities are pretty much limited to those available to them since the time of their release they pretty much want all the same things all the time. Like chat, joke, hug... Also "fun" fact - according to the full list of Wants/Fears published by Sims Community there's no want to pillow fight :s
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Not quite a want/fear but my poor toddler had a holiday fail because he was supposed to love giving gifts and toddlers cannot give gifts. Usually on the calendar toddler holiday wants are greyed out.
  • Options
    PruThistlePruThistle Posts: 97 Member
    My Sims are getting the fears, but no wants. There is nothing over my Sims' heads anymore. The whims are gone and nothing has replaced it.
  • Options
    billisrulzbillisrulz Posts: 415 Member
    I had to disable it because constantly getting fear of a dead end job, unfulfilled dreams, etc. was becoming really annoying. Now everytime I enter/exit CAS it just re-enables itself and they just instantly get the dead end job fear. It's driving me crazy!
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    So far the wants have been really nice in my game, however it’s been two days so not enough to really judge it.

My sim that loves the outdoors got a want to spend 8 hours outdoors, really liked that one.

It is a sad thought that a cat-loving sim would have no wants for spending time with cats. And the list goes on for othe pack-traits. Hope that this will be expanded later on. That we will not have so many parallel systems covering different packs and parts of the game.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm not sure if Wants and Fears is broken or not but I kind of think it's a bit extreme. I just got this notification

uffdeQX.png

and now he has the fear of being cheated on. They live in the same apartment and I don't let my Sims cheat on their SO unless I am purposely trying to stir up some drama, which I'm not doing in this save. And the reason he hasn't been romantic with his partner in a while because I'm TRYING to take it slow. It's too intrusive right now, every small thing triggers a fear and then they stay in a negative mood. I'm already sick of this feature.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I haven’t had my sims want to ask out family, but I know that romance between family members is possible as soon as you reach the 3rd or 4th generation.

I have 2 legacies that are blood related and the family splinters at the 2nd generation. I use 2 different names to help keep track of the related families.

For me, the generations are as follows:

Names are in order of age and Generation List in Spoiler
    Generation 1: Coraline Zalrian, Zalrian Husband, Kailani Husband

Gen 1 was created as a work around for forgetting to make Kemps, Calum, and Reef brothers when I started a new save. I could not change their relationship without creating Coraline.

Generation 2 Zalrians: Kemps and Calum

Generation 2 Kailani: Reef

Generation 3 Zalrian: Dylan, Zephyr, Ember, Jade, and Juniper

Generation 3 Kailani: Kylen and Rylan

Generation 4 Zalrian: Barnabus, Wade, Sora, and Denis

Generation 4 Kailani: Lir, Alex, and Alen

Generation 5 Kailani: Maria and Zalen

I discovered that sims that are related can perform romance interactions given certain circumstances.

Gen 3 Zalrian can romance Gen 4 Kailani.

Gen 2 Kailani can Romance Gen 5 Kailani.

Gen 2 Kailani can Romance Gen 3 Zalrian.

In my game, a Kailani and Zalrian engaged in romance is incredibly wrong. They aren’t even that far apart in relation to each other.

I suspect that if I encounter a want that is very wrong like what others have mentioned, I think it will be between the generations that can perform romance interactions with each other.

Keep in mind, I’m talking about something that was possible before the update and after the update.

I play like merfolk are immortal, my play on the ethereal beauty and handsomeness of mermaids and mermen. So, I don’t think they expected older generations to be around that long. If I had aging turned on, some generations would be dead or elders. But, all my merfolk, regardless of generation, are never aged past young adult.

I actually ended up making all my mermen in the newest Zalrian and Kailani families straight to ensure there aren’t any romances between cousins and uncles. Most of them are mermen anyways so it works to avoid inappropriate romance.

I am upset that it also means they can’t discover their own interests like the generations that came before them. I do have LGBT mermen and mermaids and embrace the preferences they develop during gameplay.

———————

I have noticed that wants are not as permanent as one might think. They do change after a sim returns home from work or school.

One thing I noticed with Calum, a Family-Oriented merman, is that he wanted to try for a baby up until he spent some time fishing with Zephyr, one of his identical twin sons. After he came home from work, he didn’t want to try for baby anymore.

When I used the potion, he still wanted to have another kid.

So, I think Calum really just wanted to spend time with his children that moved out. After he got some family time, it helped him change his wants.

If things really did play out that way, it added a great deal of depth to his character.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    After finding a mod to remove the ageing bug, I gave the new patch a try after all, and lord of the underworld, the fears are so annoying! I'm surprised at people reporting that they haven't encountered any yet, because I find them to be overly intrusive, even more so than lifestyles. After playing with a five-person household for two or three in-game days, every single one of them has developed a fear of not fulfilling their dreams. It says that talking about their fears to other sims might help, but that interaction is never available. Half of them also get a fear of a dead end job every time they go to work, and are perpetually tense, sad and/or angry as a result.

Good thing you can turn them off, which I did. Such a shame, because this feature sounded so promising.

I am so happy to hear they can be turned off. My teen has the fear of unfulfilled wants and there also, is no option, on any other sim. Bah! I never used the whims but thought the wants/fears would be a hoot. I should have known, this is EA we are dealing with here. :/

In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    RyublueRyublue Posts: 30 Member
    Does turning wants (almost wrote whims) and fears off in game options actually work for the rest of you? I keep doing it (for my new test game, I haven't dared to go back to any of my ongoing saves just yet), and yet the wants remain. Sometimes they briefly go away, like if I turn them on and off again, but that's just until I start the game again.
    I've started to put back a few updated mods now, not many, but this was an issue even before that when I had none.
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I am thoroughly sick of this half-baked and badly implemented feature. If I switch it off it should stay off and not magically switch itself back on every time I go into CAS.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,024 Member
    @Ryublue & @Jade47 I'm having the same problem. I finally opened my game, test save only, after this messy patch. Got the aging working ok, but I don't want to play with wants and fears--my sims have enough drama in their lives. But even though I turn off W&F, they still pop up. I have to go back into Options and click them on and off again to make them go away. This happens every time I start the save.

From what you said, @Ryublue, it's not a mod related issue.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of fears and wants for occults (and just the basic lack of overall pack integration), just to name a few off the top of my head (and based on some of what I can remember from TS2)

Fear of Werewolves:
    - Fear of Greg (after being attacked/in a fight with him or being terrorised by him)
    - Fear of becoming a werewolf

Want to become a Werewolf:
    - Want to socialise with werewolves
    - Want to travel to Moonwood Mill
    - Want to join a Pack
    - Want to join Moonwood Collective/Wild Fangs
    - Want to leave "XYZ" pack
    - Want to be a "lone wolf"
    - Want to gain werewolf level
    - Want to fight a vampire
    - Fear of hurting/scaring "someone/XYZ sim" while rampaging
    - Fear of cure
    - Fear of Full Moon/Rage
    - Fear of joining a pack
    - Fear of being a "lone wolf"
    - Fear of being kicked out of Wild Fangs/Moonwood Collective

Fear of Vampires:
    - Fear of Vlad (after tutorial break in)
    - Fear of becoming a vampire

Want to become a Vampire:
    - Want to socialise with vampires
    - Want to travel to Forgotten Hollow
    - Want to drink "someone's/XYZ sims" plasma
    - Want to become a Grand Master Vampire
    - Want to fight a werewolf
    - Fear of cure
    - Fear of Garlic
    - Fear of Sun (Though this is a perk in the vampire skill tree, still works as a fear)
    - Fear of Death by sun
    - Fear of Thirst

Fear of Magic:
    - Fear of Spellcasters
    - Fear of becoming a Spellcaster
    - Fear of being cursed (Spellcaster only)
    - Fear of Potion mishap (Spellcasters only)

Want to become a Spellcaster:
    - Want to socialise with Spellcasters
    - Want to travel to the Magic Realm
    - Cast a spell
    - Raise Spellcaster level
    - Brew a potion
    - Fear of Overcharge
    - Fear of Death by Overcharge

Fear of Mermaids:
    - Fear of Shark attack
    - Fear of "Siren's Lullaby/song
    - Fear of becoming a Mermaid

Want to become a Mermaid:
    - Want to travel to Sulani
    - Want to swim in deep ocean
    - Fear of cure

Fear of Aliens:
    - Fear of abduction
    - Fear of Alien pregnancy (male sims only)
    - Fear of Alien Invasion (work event)
    - Fear of travel to Sixam (through portal or rocket)
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top