Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    I've switched off wants and fears. Just doesn't fit my style of gameplay. I feel obligated to fulfill them. So far they haven't returned.

ETA: They're baaack. 😄

Here's the bug report for anyone wanting to check me too.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Wants-Fears-toggle-stops-working-after-travelling/td-p/11692023
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,830 Member
    I've switched off wants and fears. Just doesn't fit my style of gameplay. I feel obligated to fulfill them. So far they haven't returned.

ETA: They're baaack. 😄

Here's the bug report for anyone wanting to check me too.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Wants-Fears-toggle-stops-working-after-travelling/td-p/11692023

That switching back on is a huge issue for rotational play. I want to play my main save, and do another episode but I'm worried about the consequences for the households I'm not with. I did my me too.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    They keep turning themselves on for me as well, even though they are checked to not appear in the gameplay options. I have to check and uncheck them constantly which gets rather annoying since i rotate a lot between households. I am honestly okay with the wants, it is the fears that i dont feel like playing with right now and that made me turn the system off.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    I've only been able to play three saves after the aging bug, but it seems like every Sim that has a job gets the fear of dead end job.
    I like the fears, but it would be nice to have some variety.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    I like some things about it. But I don't like the getting angry if they don't get what they want. My mother sim went 3 days where I couldn't get her to do anything because she was angry. But everything that was popping up I couldn't do because she was angry. She wants to paint, nope faded out she's angry etc,
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I like some things about it. But I don't like the getting angry if they don't get what they want. My mother sim went 3 days where I couldn't get her to do anything because she was angry. But everything that was popping up I couldn't do because she was angry. She wants to paint, nope faded out she's angry etc,

Also, Its fine with one or two sims but with a full house it gets too much.
  • zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
    It's getting genuinely annoying with the dead end job fear. At first I thought it was neat, as I had made a story mode sim and it made sense to maybe change her job. But now my sims come home every day with this fear even tho I remove it every day. It's really annoying because it just doesn't make sense sometimes, like why wouldn't my sim who wants to be a bodybuilder, with all the right active perks, want to be in the athlete career and grow with that? And I also find it frustrating that they literally could get a promotion that day and still come home with the new dead end job fear...like you just got a promotion how is that dead end? I dunno, I want to like this wants and fears update but it's hard.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Had to disable it when the "dead end job" fear stopped my sim's career progression and I went through the frustration of it not staying solved for very long after I managed to find solutions. Having to frequently re-disable the thing makes it double frustrating.
    The cake is a lie
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited August 2022
    Wants are ok so far but they must have turned up fears, I've had a lot of them. The dead end job one came up for my teen barista who is doing the Aliens Stole My Parents scenario.
    You're a kid. You're working a part time entry level job, you don't even know what a dead end job is yet, kid. lol
    Post edited by Catzilla on
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Some of them seem to be triggered very easily which I don't really understand. I thought the point with wants and fears was to make sims feel more unique but here it feels like everyone has the same wants and fears.

I do like that they add more gameplay (which The Sims 4 desperately needs) but that's about it... a long requested feature added to an 8 year old game which wasn't built for it.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    It's especially the dead-end job that seems to be the major malfunction overall seeing how much everyone talks about it.

Hey, even your workaholics can get it. It's one of those fears that has to be outright ripped out of the game through mods to make the wants/fears system already 100% better and get a chance to be turned back on, or at least heavy tweaking so only Sims stuck at low (>3) levels long enough, or commitment haters can get it!

Although hearing people mention on other sites how a fear of fire causes more fires, almost every other day, and how Sims with unfufilled dreams randomly disable your interactions for a few hours certainly isn't helping make the system sound any more fun.

I just want my Sims to have a mental breakdown and start spinning a Professor ball around on the sidewalks again with a free therapist visit.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I have only just started playing with the new patch so am just encountering them for the first time.

My take is I simply want whims back. The wants/fears have lost all context. Not only could you cancel whims out to make them appropriate to the sim being played, but they would change depending on the mood of the sim and the location the sim was at.

The wants/fears is a fail, IMO. They should have put the effort into enhancing the whims.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • EleriEleri Posts: 547 Member
    The fears keep giving negative moodlets which is annoying because they slow me down. So I finally gave up and turned them off. I checked the simology panel and the fear traits are gone. So I start playing again and the moodlets are still there, but because the traits are gone I can't deal with her fears so they're there for good now.

I actually have an issue of moodlets re-occurring even after I had resolved the fear through game play, so this might be part of a bigger glitch.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I just want to turn them off. I didn't play with whims, I certainly don't want to play with wants and fears, either.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    They are improvement upon whims, but they are not meaningful enough to change my game in any major way. At least they are related to traits and likes/dislikes which is good. I pay attention to them because otherwise sims will get fear of unfulfilled dreams.

I don’t agree with opinion that whims were better, because they changed with emotions. Every sim had the same emotions and it made all sims the same. Now my mean sim wants to insult someone and good sim wants to give to charity. Which finally makes sense. Whims were waste of space.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Some of them seem to be triggered very easily which I don't really understand. I thought the point with wants and fears was to make sims feel more unique but here it feels like everyone has the same wants and fears.

I do like that they add more gameplay (which The Sims 4 desperately needs) but that's about it... a long requested feature added to an 8 year old game which wasn't built for it.
    It happens that way because there are so few of them - we need 100 times more of them for sims to feel unique, and also they can't be triggered so easily.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2022
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    They are improvement upon whims, but they are not meaningful enough to change my game in any major way. At least they are related to traits and likes/dislikes which is good. I pay attention to them because otherwise sims will get fear of unfulfilled dreams.

I don’t agree with opinion that whims were better, because they changed with emotions. Every sim had the same emotions and it made all sims the same. Now my mean sim wants to insult someone and good sim wants to give to charity. Which finally makes sense. Whims were waste of space.

The whims changing with emotion is what I liked about them. A sim gets inspired and they want to cook, paint, play music. Similar with other emotional states. If there was a chat with [insert random sim], I could cancel it. Now my sim is stuck all day wanting to talk to someone the sim barely knows all day. The listen to music or dance to music whim lets the player choose the genre. With the new system, all your sim does all day is flick between stations and never actually listens to the music any more.

The problem isn't with the whim game mechanic. The problem is that they chose to completely neglect it for years and then hid them and then they finally chose to throw the baby out with the bath water.

It would have made much more sense to make the whim system better and incorporate some if the ideas of the new wants/fears.

And finally whims never made me mess about in the menus of the rewards store to buy a 300 point potion to change them.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »

I get it, but... I usually ignore wants because I never played with whims. Now my Sims keep getting the fear of unfulfilled dreams. I hate it.
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    In my game it is not only The want and fears togle that does not work, the toggle so that the objects in buy/build mod do not have an effect on my Sims does not work any more either.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I wound up installing a mod that rerolls the wants because my married sim kept wanting to flirt with other people. What I don't like about this system is that even if my sim overcomes the fear of deadend job, it keeps coming back. How many times should my sims have to conquer this same fear. Plus, ALL of my sims get this same fear. So, to me it is not much different than whims and the bee box constantly appearing, except at least I could cancel the whim if I wanted to. I think only sims who are ambitious or overachievers should worry about a deadend job, not EVERY SINGLE sim. It is beyond annoying. I am debating switching the whole thing off.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I'd like to see my Sims getting fears, but still not a single fear on any of my Sims.
    I'll be waiting, good thing I'm not an angry simmer and it doesn't upset me much. I hope at least one of my Sims will get one of those things one day.

Wait until you get hit with the totally irrational Fear of the Dark. My Full Professor is running around like a fool. He's practically afraid of his own shadow. It's sad in a way. And most distracting when trying to get the storyline to move forward.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,917 Member
    I turn it off. I think options really depend on play style.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    Has anyone tried MissyHissy's custom wants and fears mod that is built on this new update? Have you noticed an improvement?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    I didn't realize we could turn them off. I'm totally doing that because they are ridiculous and repetitive and ruining my sims lives' to a point. Honestly, I just want whims back.
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    And when you turn them off they do not come back everythime you travel or quit the game and come back to it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top