Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I finally got the first fears for my Sims.
    Weird thing was that the whole family got fears the same time. I've been checking them many times per day and nothing... but suddenly the dad was feeling sad because he had a fear of dead end job and another one, unfulfilled dreams. His wife also suddenly had fears galore with several of them as well and the teenage daughter had a fear of crowded places.
    I was afraid of not getting fears at all, but now I have a lot of them to deal with and I'm okay with that. :)
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    Not everyone needs or wishes for consequences to make the game more interesting. I know I don't need any to make my game fun, it's the opposite for me, because consequences make the game feel more limited in my Opinion. We are all different players.

I think it is great that now the players who want consequences can enjoy their kind of gameplay, but all I wish for is a little toggle in the settings to be able to cancel the wants like the whims if the player wishes so - not having to buy a potion everytime. This way everybody wins.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I don't like the wants at all. They're like very watered down whims and feels like I'm back to playing Base Game The Sims 4. I only played for a couple of hours yesterday and only gotten "listen to music genre" type of wants which are super easy to do and pretty similar to whims anyways. And like another user pointed out over here, other packs are missing wants for my sim's traits. I have a Sim who's a cat lover and he's not getting any wants that have to do with cats.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    Not everyone needs or wishes for consequences to make the game more interesting. I know I don't need any to make my game fun, it's the opposite for me, because consequences make the game feel more limited in my Opinion. We are all different players.

I think it is great that now the players who want consequences can enjoy their kind of gameplay, but all I wish for is a little toggle in the settings to be able to cancel the wants like the whims if the player wishes so - not having to buy a potion everytime. This way everybody wins.

I want to clarify that when we ask for more "consequences" in the Sims 4, it doesn't mean the type of arbitrarily limiting behavior that it seems these Fears currently provide.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    Well after playing for most of this evening, I’m personally really enjoying the wants and fears. I love the fear of being controlled, every time my sim got angry about losing control she would quit doing whatever I had her doing! Made trying to write a term paper loads of fun, had to order her to do it about ten times before the angry moodlet went away!

So this sim started off as teen living in copperdale with no home or money. She survived her high school years mostly by eating apples from her locker and a bench near her lot. Anyways She got a crush and eventually the crush asked her to be his girlfriend! Now to cut this long story short, she is now a young adult in uni and got the want to break up with him! She fell out of love with him apparently.

So there are consequences to having fears. For example, if your sim has a fear of death, they won’t be able to interact with Grim, so they won’t be able to plead with him. If they have the fear of being controlled, they will resist you directing them and quit whatever you direct them to do whilst the angry buff is active.

• LynzeighLynzeigh Posts: 30 Member
    My wants are so boring!! Read book, analyse book, listen to music, dance to music, go to library is all I get over and over again, and to ask another make to be a boyfriend when they have no romantic interest as their sexual orientation 😥
  • LynzeighLynzeigh Posts: 30 Member
    Male*
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Alright, as someone who plays whims regularly, outside of toddlers having nothing whatsoever, I'm actually really enjoying the new wants and fears. It aboslutely helps that I have a family that has, for the most part, base-game traits and such. I spent most of my time with the mother of the family and for the most part, I bounced between fullfilling her aspirations, both Big Happy Family and then switching over to Friend of the World when I couldn't progress any futher. (Kid getting married when her non-aging kids were teens and children soooo) But the husband, who I wasn't paying much attention to, thanks to trying to get promotions with him and alongside focusing on other people, swiftly got the Fear of Unfullfilled Wants. And the Fear of Dead-End Jobs which, I didn't mind so much because I looked at the sad moodlet description being about "Man, is this all life is? Go to work, come home and then go to work again?" and went "OOOF. Ain't that a mood."

It's actually humanizing these Sims and making them seem less like dolls and more like active agents that do have their own thoughts and feelings you got to properly manage. I like that!

Just need those toddler whims again.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I can imagine or have heard about the other traits already, but I wonder... what kind of trait related wants do clumsy sims get?
  • professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    Honestly, I love that my current sim is afraid of cowplants ever since he made the mistake of eating that free cake. :wink:
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    One half of all of my in relationship Sims wanted to randomly breakup, for no reason that made any sense at all, just 'so and so Sim has fallen out of love'. This was every single relationship, every single relationship with a maxed out romance bar, super positive sentiments, and fated mates for the werewolves, but suddenly one half of the relationship just wanted to break up. Yeah, not impressed with this whole wants/fears thing so far, I've been trying to turn it off but it just keeps resetting itself.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    One half of all of my in relationship Sims wanted to randomly breakup, for no reason that made any sense at all, just 'so and so Sim has fallen out of love'. This was every single relationship, every single relationship with a maxed out romance bar, super positive sentiments, and fated mates for the werewolves, but suddenly one half of the relationship just wanted to break up. Yeah, not impressed with this whole wants/fears thing so far, I've been trying to turn it off but it just keeps resetting itself.

Oh, I hope this is fixed soon! Why is this even a thing? Usually steps are taken to insure long term saved are not ruined. I have mine backed up fortunately, but I don't want to play until this is completely fixed.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member

That is my worst nightmare. I turned them off a couple of days ago in my main save, but they're getting switched off in every save now. I'm still going to check each and every time before I go into my main save to make sure that the wants and fears box is unchecked. Worst case scenario I have those couples saved in my library prior to all of this so I can always put them in and use cheats to restore things to the way they should be.
  • _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member
    One of my kid sims got a fear of the dark which I got rid of but he’s still scared 24/7 even in daytime and there’s nothing I can do because I already conquered the fear
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    I can imagine or have heard about the other traits already, but I wonder... what kind of trait related wants do clumsy sims get?

Don't Stumble for 4 Hours.
    08-02-22_10-09-11_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    edited August 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Okay, this is the problem with the system
    BdEeWXU.png

She just got promoted. As in it was literally the action before she came home, and she's got a fear of a dead end job? How does this make sense? She's a chef with the chef aspiration, she just got promoted.

I mean, if there were options to quit and work at a different restaurant, I could see that as a "I can't get anywhere here, let me look elsewhere" type thing, but 1) she *just* got a promotion, and 2) that's not how jobs work in the game.

Thank you! Great observation. I added that to the list in the original post:
    I wanted to make a dedicated thread to talk about the Wants & Fears addition to the base game now that it is released.

Summary of Key Feedback in this Thread

1) People have issues with the kinds of wants occurring and say there is little variety or are illogical.
    • many musical preferences lead to an overwhelming amount of music wants i.e. no apparent hard cap on % frequency
    • illogical and intrusive wants, e.g. want to be actively disliked by a sim followed by another want to be friends with this sim
    2) Scope of wants is way too small, mostly covering base game and High School.
    • causes severe issues when you play with sims using traits and aspirations not in the base game or High School - only get generic wants
    • when they do work, wants are relevant to the traits and personality of the sims, which people liked
    • no context-dependent wants, such as university students getting university-related wants
    3) Wants themselves seem too similar to whims, often resulting in desires to do quick interactions.
    • wants like listening to music, playing video games, pouring a drink are not larger goals that many loved in the Sims 2
    • these action wants are similar to what Sims would do autonomously with the AI, so some don't see the point and desire more sophisticated wants
    4) Mixed reactions to the fact that wants are not rerolled and are static.
    • buying a potion is a pro for some. Others missed dynamic slot-machine "rolling" and locking of wants from the Sims 2
    5) Concerning incest glitch is occurring.
    • game not recognizing/ checking for family relationships before generating romantic wants
    6) Fears seem to occur too infrequently for some people; when they do occur, some do not like that they are implemented as a semi-permanent trait that gets added to your sim.
    • fears locking the ability to do things like lighting a fire with no clear way to overcome the fear
    • fears potentially getting stuck
    • some preferred the way Sims 2 handled fears
    7) Fears, like wants, seem to appear arbitrarily and illogically.
    • Sim who just got promoted in their career [culinary] tied to their aspiration [master chef] getting a fear of being in a dead-end job

Hopefully, this is helpful! @SimGuruGeorge @SimGuruNova @SimGuruNick @SimGuruLyndsay @SimGuruAzure @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruFrost @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruNinja @SimGuruRomeo

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    The list is put together very well! I hope gurus see it :)
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited August 2022
    As they are currently I had to disable them at last, my Sim would more or less only ever get fears of a dead-end job... In a Job they're close to being promoted to the top in... In a job that relates perfectly to their traits. It would also pop up every 3 days almost, by the time my Sim gets motivated about it again it's practically immeditely back by the end of their next shift. It was a very overly repetitive cycle treating my Sim like they had the noncommitial trait, and sending them to the bubble bath to get rid of the 500th tense moodlet about that job in the day.

The final pushing point is my Sim getting their 2nd ever unique fear being about unfuffiled dreams, despite all that constant wish fuffilment of one of the few wants they ever get. "Listen to X music." it's like a pleasure Sim on TS2 but without anything major being wished by them
    L9q8VGi.png
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    telemwill wrote: »

Oh, I hope this is fixed soon! Why is this even a thing? Usually steps are taken to insure long term saved are not ruined. I have mine backed up fortunately, but I don't want to play until this is completely fixed.

That is my worst nightmare. I turned them off a couple of days ago in my main save, but they're getting switched off in every save now. I'm still going to check each and every time before I go into my main save to make sure that the wants and fears box is unchecked. Worst case scenario I have those couples saved in my library prior to all of this so I can always put them in and use cheats to restore things to the way they should be.

I was able to ignore the 'want' and thankfully it didn't seem to effect the relationships. It was just so odd that so many of my Sims randomly had a desire to break up for no reason. I keep turning the wants and fears off under gameplay, but everytime you leave a household and come back it's back again. The way I play as well I have my own head canon for what sorts of fears and desires my Sims have, I don't particularly need the game itself to just shoehorn in stuff like that for me.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I disabled Wants & Fears because none of my Sims registered any Wants. These Sims were all started in new test saves right after the patch. They all started with Base Game aspirations and traits. Although they didn't show any Wants they did register Fears. The teens had a fear of unfulfilled dreams even though they were less than 5 days old. The Young Adults had a fear of a dead-end job within five days of starting their base game careers. After a week of seeing no Wants, I decided to disable them.
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    I noticed my sim only got the fear of the dead end job once she maxed her career. I don’t believe it goes away until they successfully regain passion for their job. So getting promoted etc won’t make a difference because the fear trait is linked to regaining passion.

I’m really hopeful for the wants and fears, with improvement they will be great I think. I notice relationship wants don’t really happen past asking a crush out though. I liked in the sims 3 how wished seemed to follow each other like, first kiss then going steady then getting married etc.
  • OzambersandOzambersand Posts: 12 New Member
    Not a fan of the wants.

I ended up playing a new game, gave my new Sim only a couple of manageable likes eg fitness and pop music. Pinned those two when they came up. He exercises every day at Burners and Builders, so he’s right.

He interacts with all the people who turn up at the gym. 99% on friendly.

The problem is all the other Sims, especially the original Sims ones from each pack. They’re basket cases.

Out of interest, because they invited me over to houses or acted weirdly, I started playing them.
    Because none of their needs had been filled, they were a mess.

For example, having the Romantic trait busts up relationships because their wants are driving them so strongly. Because the romance channel is on while exercising they get flirty (if they weren’t already). They flirt with everyone, their partner gets sad, even if jealousy is not a trait. Now they hate each other. I’m looking at you Brant and Brent!

I prefer to leave unplayed Sims to do their own thing, and enjoy watching how they interact. I suppose it’s fun if you like generating drama, but they’re also starting to run around scared because they have a dread of dying with their needs unfulfilled because I’m not playing them!
  • dearangeldearangel Posts: 4 New Member
    For me, I could do without the wants and fears. It's been discussed before but the fear of fire trait is SO annoying! I had to disable wants and fears because I kept having to spend thousands replacing my sim's stoves. I would prefer if fires didn't occur so often, because my sims could barely cook since they would start a fire every day. And honestly, all the fears were super buggy for me. My sim would get the "scared of the dark" moodlet whenever they left the house even if it was daytime/sunny, and the rest of the fears wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I much prefer the old whims system because at least it didn't disrupt my gameplay so much. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top