Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• k0rvusk0rvus Posts: 1 New Member
    I liked that whims could be closed out of if you didn't want to do them. Seems like these wants stay for an indefinite amount of time.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,912 Member
    edited August 2022
    Ziafar wrote: »
    And when you turn them off they do not come back everythime you travel or quit the game and come back to it?

Well no... when you toggle want and fears off, they wont be shown so... i saved my game with wants and fears off and never touched it after.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2022
    In my game that does not work. I toggle them off I save my game and when I open my game again the toggle is off but the wants are there above the head of my sims
    Oh im sorry, have you tried game repair ? (dont forget to back up your saves)
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Well, one good thing about wants and fears - seems it fixed the bug where leaving with one sim messed with every other sim in the household's whims...wants seem to stay put if locked.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,014 Member
    Wants and Fears also return for me after toggling them off in Options--whenever I open the game again or come out of CAS. Not sure about leaving the lot; I haven't tried that yet because I'm not really playing the game. But I've tried with and without mods or CC, and I've repaired my game twice following the directions given. It doesn't matter. W&F will not stay off.

I'm beyond annoyed, and I will not buy the High School Years pack until something is done about the glitches already in this game. Why spend money for more bugs to corrupt my game?
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited August 2022
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    They are improvement upon whims, but they are not meaningful enough to change my game in any major way. At least they are related to traits and likes/dislikes which is good. I pay attention to them because otherwise sims will get fear of unfulfilled dreams.

I don’t agree with opinion that whims were better, because they changed with emotions. Every sim had the same emotions and it made all sims the same. Now my mean sim wants to insult someone and good sim wants to give to charity. Which finally makes sense. Whims were waste of space.
    @Olalla1986 Did you play with whims? Whims were also trait-based. Mean Sims would get whims to do mean things (including to insult others) and Good Sims would get whims to donate to charity. I think they literally copied/converted those whims and turned them into wants. But now we've lost the ability to cancel things that don't fit, so I think wants are much worse (especially if they didn't copy over all of the GP and EP whims).
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2022
    haneul wrote: »
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    They are improvement upon whims, but they are not meaningful enough to change my game in any major way. At least they are related to traits and likes/dislikes which is good. I pay attention to them because otherwise sims will get fear of unfulfilled dreams.

I don’t agree with opinion that whims were better, because they changed with emotions. Every sim had the same emotions and it made all sims the same. Now my mean sim wants to insult someone and good sim wants to give to charity. Which finally makes sense. Whims were waste of space.
    @Olalla1986 Did you play with whims? Whims were also trait-based. Mean Sims would get whims to do mean things (including to insult others) and Good Sims would get whims to donate to charity. I think they literally copied/converted those whims and turned them into wants. But now we've lost the ability to cancel things that don't fit, so I think wants are much worse (especially if they didn't copy over all of the GP and EP whims).

I did play with whims at the beginning (before Snowy Escape came out), but I rarely saw trait based ones. Usually emotion based and good old want to buy bee box stuff. So literally all my sims would get want to kiss someone if flirty etc. Right now I found wants more related to traits or at least not cluttered so much with wishes not related to traits. Maybe that’s what they did, maybe they cleaned whims up and called them wants. But I did turned off whims after constant want to buy stereo, dishwasher and bee box.

But what is worrying me, I haven’t seen any fear yet except for fear of unfulfilled dreams if I fail to let my sim do their wants. I thought they would get more random stuff.

And I agree that lack of DLCs related wants is huge missed opportunity to enhance the game. I would like my sim to get fear of creepy crawlies or jungle in Selvadorada or fear of living in big city in San Myshuno (for loner for example)😆 .

Note: I think wants cancel itself when my sims sleep, but I’m not sure if after one day or more. But I definitely saw that.

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Has anyone tried MissyHissy's custom wants and fears mod that is built on this new update? Have you noticed an improvement?

Yes, I have that plus Lumpinou's re-roll wants mini mod, and I'm enjoying playing with wants much more now. Just a note re. MissyHissy's custom wants mod: it's not a standalone mod; in order for the modded wants to show up, you need either her Hobby mod and/or her Personality mod.
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    Yes I did repare the game. To no avail.
    Yeah you're right this game is total chaos... it finally happened to me lol i went to play a sim i hadnt played since the fears existed, like i played that household about 6 months ago, and he didnt want to go inside his house! And then i noticed the dark purple icon i never seen that before! It was the fear of darkness... And when i made him self confident, he jumped when some one talked to hime, and that made me jumped... so i got triggered a panic attack by the $@%%# sim who was plagued by a fear of darkness ! So i had to get the backup from my library and merge him back into his lot and that might not even do the trick...

Need I mention on the day whims became wants and fears, i made sure my opted out whims stayed opted out with the new bug...

If im forced to play with options i dont want. I dont play.
    Ok ! Now that i understand how this 'new feature' works, i went to do my homework. (Instead of playing.) ...and i read that opting out of fear is not really opting out. Its 'do not display' so its a forced scenario. Now it scrapped all the progress in one of my sims, i had to re-load him and cheat all his skills to where they were. But im not playing this game with fears. I hope they take em out or make em a REAL CHOICE. Making whims into fear that are managed like traits is like.... a tad too much, at least for me !

Here is the list i found so if one of my sims starts to freak out again i can at least try and re-program w the remove.trait cheat !
    I mean i get it there are some peole that like to scare other people at are amused by the reaction etc. But not me, i dont want forced fears in my game.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/08/02/the-ultimate-list-of-the-sims-4-wants-and-fears/

This is so not fun.

• Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    This is not a fix by any means but I have been buying potions from the rewards store to get rid of fears that I have already gotten rid of many times before. If I have to I will cheat the points. I agree it is beyond annoying and I hope a real fix is in the works.
    Thanks for the trick @Glimmer50 i didnt think about that ! It didnt happen to me alot so 🤞
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Alright everybody! It must be a bug to not have the options in-game.
    In "Game Options" it is always on even when turned off.
    Hopefully this will be resolved. :)

arNv2Vd.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I have MissyHissy's great mods, custom wants/fears and her hobby mod. Nice mods, I have turned on the wants and fears and so far, my sim caught on fire while warming herself at the fireplace and a fear of fire popped up, stayed for a few hours then went away. I am not sure if it was her mods or me being lucky. :D

I did have problems when I first installed the pack, but I turned off the wants then. Of course, they came back but not after MH's mods. I don't get the fear of a dead-end job because my sims are only self-employed. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • AnastaciaAnastacia Posts: 9 New Member
    I hate the fears and why are they wanting to change careers every five minutes
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I have another complaint that just recently cropped up in my game. My young Teen celebrity is straight. He's not experimenting and he prefers girls. So why does he have the want to flirt with Thorne Bailey? We can't dismiss the ones we don't want, like we could the whims. And if he can't fulfill them, he gets a possible bad moodlet about never being fulfilled. This is wrong. This wasn't supposed to happen. We were told we had control over this. I am not happy.
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    I turn it off. I think options really depend on play style.

Where can I turn it off? Is that under the Options, where we could turn off whims? I think I'll do that before my destined Rock Star is so depressed he can't sing. And thank you for the reminder!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm at the point where I simply can't stand it now. It's putting me off playing because it does not stay switched off.
    I have another complaint that just recently cropped up in my game. My young Teen celebrity is straight. He's not experimenting and he prefers girls. So why does he have the want to flirt with Thorne Bailey? We can't dismiss the ones we don't want, like we could the whims. And if he can't fulfill them, he gets a possible bad moodlet about never being fulfilled. This is wrong. This wasn't supposed to happen. We were told we had control over this. I am not happy.
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    I turn it off. I think options really depend on play style.

Where can I turn it off? Is that under the Options, where we could turn off whims? I think I'll do that before my destined Rock Star is so depressed he can't sing. And thank you for the reminder!

OMG ! You are so funny ! This is a quote from 15 aug. You should have read my replies until today, that is a quote out of context ! lol
    Jade47 wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I simply can't stand it now. It's putting me off playing because it does not stay switched off.

Yeah i hit that point last nite i felt like my sims had the plague and i gave them elixir to cure them lol, im hesitant to even turn on my PC today. But hopefully the next patch will get rid of wants and fears, imho i think they made a mistake with that one, overall they dont make alot of mistakes but the negative reactions from the majority of players w different styles on this one. Anyways when i come back to the game i'll adapt no matter what... btw thanks to all the folks sharing their experience and helping out each other ! :smiley: ciao4now
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I am getting tired of these fears now. I am getting "fear of unfulfilled dreams" on every sim, I can't even play another sim because the sim that I am not playing will get that fear or they will get "fear of dead end job".

What are you doing Maxis?
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    The fear of unfulfilled dreams is really, really annoying! My sims are advancing in their aspiration milestones and yet they still get that fear along with the anger buff about losing control over their fear. How do you fulfill your dreams then? And then there is the want of wanting to break up with a sim's partner after they woohoo and have a 100 friendship and 100 romance. They have been partners for a while and have woohooed before, but all of a sudden, with no warning, one sim has fallen out of love with the other while the relationship bar has not moved at all from the 100. UGH! Between this and the groundhog day bug, I have been losing my mind since the patch. Thankfully some modders have fixed some of the game bugs, although groundhog day remains a continual problem for pc, mac, and console users - so NOT a mod problem EA!

I really wish there was more logic to the wants and fears system, that we could cancel out the wants, and that we could actually discuss the fears with other sims right away and not after about 10 inane interactions.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Yeah, I am getting tired of these fears now. I am getting "fear of unfulfilled dreams" on every sim, I can't even play another sim because the sim that I am not playing will get that fear or they will get "fear of dead end job".

What are you doing Maxis?

I say having the choice to turn these on or off is great. Being 'forced' to have these on, makes some players really irritated. I most certainly agree on that.
    If it actually worked in the gameplay settings menu, (turning it on or off) then could even split it into two choice switches.

Wants (formerly called Whims)
    Fears (New)

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    It would be great if they would fix the on/off toggle for this in the next patch. Please and thank you, devs. I'm getting really tired of having to turn it off/on/off just to get the 'off' to actually work each and every time I load the game.

Please fix this bug asap.... You could even say that's my main "want" at the moment. :|
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top