The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

  • Options
    SirkusSirkus Posts: 2 New Member
    Suffered through it for a few hours but inevitably turned it right off for being insufferable and extremely one-note for me. I now realize my penchant for giving my sims a few options of what they like in music (someone arrest me ...) got me in this mess of them nearly always wanting to listen to some godforsaken music. Me getting tired of that real quick of course ignored it ... and I have been plagued by "unfulfilled dreams" since the first hour of playing with it probably. Abandoned ship in a heartbeat when it finally dawned on me why.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Darren wrote: »
    According to a CC creator on twitter there actually are expansion pack wants in the code, up to Get Famous I think.


    No idea if they are used though (and why if they are not.).

    According to SimGuruGeorge, only Basegame and the new EP wants were added because they ran out of time and they could add more with upcoming packs if it makes sense.

    No, there are some wants from packs in the game. I noticed a couple Parenthood ones and a want to go to Granite Falls.
    But as MissyHissy pointed out in the reply to that tweet, the problem is a lot of traits have no wants associated with them.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,438 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

    I was just stating what SimGuruGeorge replied to someone on twitter who was questioning if older packs would be getting the wants/fears added too and his response was that they focused on the pack and previous base game content. He never confirmed that they were able to add some to older packs. But, I'm not a modder. I just figured that the Guru who actually worked on the pack would know more about what was/wasn't added.
    0WM92Ad.png

  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,082 Member
    Seriously, I've hardly noticed them. What does bug me, though is that the Whims were set up from screen right, two you could lock, and the one you couldn't lock. Now, it's just the opposite. It's akin to playing one Sims game and then going back to play an earlier iteration and finding yourself struggling on which way is up. :open_mouth: With time, I'll get it I suppose. But, first, I have to actually start seeing them as Wants and Fears.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member
    I’ve found the fears boring so far. My sims get the fear of a dead end job literally every time they go to work. I’ve given up overcoming it because every time I did, it would come back the next time they went to work. Not like there’s any consequences to fears anyway
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Seriously, I've hardly noticed them. What does bug me, though is that the Whims were set up from screen right, two you could lock, and the one you couldn't lock. Now, it's just the opposite. It's akin to playing one Sims game and then going back to play an earlier iteration and finding yourself struggling on which way is up. :open_mouth: With time, I'll get it I suppose. But, first, I have to actually start seeing them as Wants and Fears.

    I get what your saying but I just want the wants to be for all dlc not just a few
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 196 Member
    Just letting you know that MissyHissy has updated her custom whims mod:

    She also updated her Personality Mod (that makes some wants more likely to appear based on a trait you give your sims based on Sims 2 aspirations)


    Those were already really good when we had whims so I'm fairly positive this will enhance the Wants experience even more :)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,438 Member
    Just letting you know that MissyHissy has updated her custom whims mod:

    She also updated her Personality Mod (that makes some wants more likely to appear based on a trait you give your sims based on Sims 2 aspirations)


    Those were already really good when we had whims so I'm fairly positive this will enhance the Wants experience even more :)

    OMG! TY TY TY for this info! I have been waiting for a modder to come rescue my game and hadn't updated because I'm a whims-driven player and her previous whim mod and Biechen's were must haves for me!

    This is perfect news on a lazy Saturday!
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'd like to see my Sims getting fears, but still not a single fear on any of my Sims.
    I'll be waiting, good thing I'm not an angry simmer and it doesn't upset me much. I hope at least one of my Sims will get one of those things one day.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm noticing my Sims wants sometimes don't match up at all.
    I often play a evil loner Sim, she's been getting wants to befriend random acquiantences or chat to them, which is far from her actual personality. Meanwhile she should be fearing talking to new Sims. I've noticed it best if you have a Sim like L.Faba who can still also often roll to befriend a townie they rolled a want to become enemies with in the past.

    I still majorly prefer how the Sims 2 aspirations/personality mixed together because the end result wouldn't involving befriending/woohooing strangers unless your Sim had the popularity/romance aspirations


    But losing the pack specific aspirations TS2 had is a huge loss. I miss my enemies often wanting to drink each others cowplant milk or seeing them sprayed by skunks.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 588 Member
    If the wants weren't attached to fears, I would say they were just tweaked whims. I would shrug this off as another case of overhype. The fears, on the other hand, are super annoying and they often don't tally with the characters' personalities.

    Case in point: I have a character who has to be unflirty as part of a challenge I'm playing. At the same time, I wanted her to have a biological heir, which can be tricky to do with an unflirty sim. So my plan for her was that, as a teen, she would date this vampire who was in some of her high school classes because she had seen Twilight and figured that's what you do in high school. Then, I would age them up to young adults together, assign her the unflirty trait, and get her pregnant before her unflirtiness had a chance to create friction. Everything went as planned until she had to go with him to the Romance Festival (also part of the challenge). It turned turned out that he had received the jealous trait when he aged up. So her vampire boyfriend is jealous and controlling, she's awkward and uncomfortable. Their relationship is a flaming train wreck. I left the Romance Festival determined that she was going to ghost him. Only now, she's somehow terrified that he's cheating on her and desperately wants to be romantic with him.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited July 2022
    Just letting you know that MissyHissy has updated her custom whims mod:

    She also updated her Personality Mod (that makes some wants more likely to appear based on a trait you give your sims based on Sims 2 aspirations)


    Those were already really good when we had whims so I'm fairly positive this will enhance the Wants experience even more :)

    MissyHissy is awesome! Sims 2's approach was always more logical.

    The aspiration categories in the Sims 4 (e.g. Family, Creativity, Fortune, Popularity, Deviance, etc.) should be the aspirations. Each one of the 13+ categories should have its own set of wants and fears relevant to those aspirations.

    The "sub-aspirations" such as Painter Extraordinaire, Successful Lineage, Fabulously Wealthy are truly Lifetime Wants/Wishes but are misnamed as aspirations.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 314 Member
    I want a mod to just put whims back the way they were. Hate that you can't cancel wants. And my Sim is getting some wants that are impossible to fill: do extra credit. She already did it. Clean whiteboard. There is no option on whiteboards except prank? And then the fears, as others have said, come back no matter what you do. I hate to give up wants because I liked whims to earn satisfaction points, which is why I just want the old whims system back.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »
    I want a mod to just put whims back the way they were. Hate that you can't cancel wants. And my Sim is getting some wants that are impossible to fill: do extra credit. She already did it. Clean whiteboard. There is no option on whiteboards except prank? And then the fears, as others have said, come back no matter what you do. I hate to give up wants because I liked whims to earn satisfaction points, which is why I just want the old whims system back.

    you can get a potion in the reward store to reroll @pearlbh
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    MissyHissy already said that she is working toward converting her (excellent) custom whims mod into Wants, so at least there's that.

    I do think that Wants & Fears in TS4 is a really good feature and welcome addition for sim-driven gameplay players, it's just that there's not enough of them to make it good... YET. I'm fairly positive that with MissyHissy's mods, it's going to be a blast to play with.

    I feel bad however for console players who get the short end of the stick now.

    Why can't EA just hire a single modder to do what their entire team obviously can't, we would have all the expansions game and stuff packs with wants and fears in a couple weeks if that not years later or never.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,041 Member
    I would like to be able to cancel a sims want like we could do with whims if I want. What happened to Sims 4 being a sandbox game, or that we control our sims life…… not so much if a want pops up that you don’t want your sim to have.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,041 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Like I get that things take time, but what's really making me see red is the fact that people making the decisions try to play it off as if it's good enough and not a giant scam to just do the bare minimum with wants and fears - this is not just a 'bonus feature' this is a core feature of the game - and it should include ALL of the game ffs. They do this stuff and hope that we will complain a bit then forget about it - well HOW do they think that since people that own DLC will notice right away that the DLC traits they use for their sims won't generate ANY wants and fears. Sometimes I really do think they believe we're all 5 year olds. Absolutely rage inducing.
    I feel for the gurus and devs that can't control this kind of decision making - I'm sure they're heart broken not being able to give us a complete feature. That's why I am making noise, besides me wanting the game to be good and enjoy it - I've been waiting patiently for years for wants and fears - and then they do this?! I'm just angry and sad. :'(:(

    Yes, and it sure doesn’t seem like very good marketing strategy. If they had included wants and fears for past DLC it would have encouraged those who liked wants and fears to buy such DLC and would have rewarded those who spent their money to buy it. It just doesn’t make good business sense at all to me. And I think they should make each want cancelable for those of us who like to control the way me made our sims to think…… rather than having to spend the points for a potion that cancels wants we never intended for our sims to have…..
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited July 2022
    This is all quite good news for me. In The Sims 2 I used mods to get rid of things like the social bunny and I also did not make any effort in my gameplay to fulfil wants or avoid fears. I decided to let the sims make those decisions for themselves. Those that did not autonomously choose to do things that were on their wants list gradually went into aspiration failure and did not thrive. In such a way I had the sims themselves playing the game. All I did was set up the environment and circumstances they had to deal with. Some succeeded and some failed and I watched with interest to see which would be which. I shall try the same in The Sims 4 now.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited July 2022
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    MissyHissy already said that she is working toward converting her (excellent) custom whims mod into Wants, so at least there's that.

    I do think that Wants & Fears in TS4 is a really good feature and welcome addition for sim-driven gameplay players, it's just that there's not enough of them to make it good... YET. I'm fairly positive that with MissyHissy's mods, it's going to be a blast to play with.

    I feel bad however for console players who get the short end of the stick now.

    Why can't EA just hire a single modder to do what their entire team obviously can't, we would have all the expansions game and stuff packs with wants and fears in a couple weeks if that not years later or never.

    I think a lot of modders like modding and collaborating with EA, but don't want to actually work for EA. As a modder you get to work on what you want at your own pace. EA also could have just added wants for all EPs/GPs/etc., but decided that wasn't a priority so I don't know why they would pay a modder to do something they don't actually care to include for whatever reason (this is not a bug and it's not an accident that they didn't focus on wants/fears for all packs). As it stands, I don't like this change to Whims at all, but I wasn't a fan of Wants & Fears in TS2 either. Modders are great, but we really shouldn't need mods for this. They should have just added enough Wants & Fears for the system to make sense.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,214 Member
    After finding a mod to remove the ageing bug, I gave the new patch a try after all, and lord of the underworld, the fears are so annoying! I'm surprised at people reporting that they haven't encountered any yet, because I find them to be overly intrusive, even more so than lifestyles. After playing with a five-person household for two or three in-game days, every single one of them has developed a fear of not fulfilling their dreams. It says that talking about their fears to other sims might help, but that interaction is never available. Half of them also get a fear of a dead end job every time they go to work, and are perpetually tense, sad and/or angry as a result.

    Good thing you can turn them off, which I did. Such a shame, because this feature sounded so promising.
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 191 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to cancel a sims want like we could do with whims if I want. What happened to Sims 4 being a sandbox game, or that we control our sims life…… not so much if a want pops up that you don’t want your sim to have.

    Exactly! I hate these restrictions. I play the Sims as a sandbox game, and I like options, not restrictions or rules that I can't change.

    I'm not updating because I am not happy with some of the changes like forced wants and fears, more autonomy calls from NPC's or Sims looking always on their phone!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    I disagree on bringing back canceling whims. If you play with whims on then they're supposedly things that your sims wants in their life. Canceling them with no cost makes their wants meaningless. I like that now you have to buy a potion which gives a price to cancelling. To me that's consequences, not taking away from the game being sandbox.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I disagree on bringing back canceling whims. If you play with whims on then they're supposedly things that your sims wants in their life. Canceling them with no cost makes their wants meaningless. I like that now you have to buy a potion which gives a price to cancelling. To me that's consequences, not taking away from the game being sandbox.

    I would like to cancel them because sometimes they just won't make sense or they're broken. Ideally, the game would be bug free and everything would work well, but that's unfortunately not the Sims 4. The ability to cancel wants allows for the player to easily correct some of the issues with the wants.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top