Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,848 Member
    @PenguinFoop
    Your secret is safe with me. There is the little matter of everybody else who saw what you wrote. I can't promise what they're going to do with it.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited July 2022
    I know that many players have wanted a feature such as this to enhance the stories that they tell in Their own personal single player gameplay. I am glad that some players are getting this feature, however, The Sims Team has said many times that they are updating the looks and premades currently in the game (like with the Goths physical changes so far) and even adding the pronouns and now the sexual orientation to them.
    How is this inclusive to all players considering that there are approximately 159 premade Sims in the game prior to Werewolf's and the new pack coming out?
    The way this is being implemented seems to suggest if Player A for example doesn't want to use the features, they are the ones that will have to spend the time to manually go in and not just be able to easily change the settings back on each and every premade in the game, but have to jump through the extra hoops of using mods or cheat codes in order to not use the feature.

My response is not against the LGBTQIA+ community, but rather since this is a single player game, each player may see these premades in a different way. For example, Player A may consider Darling Walsh as just a tomboy, but Player B may look at this character as a member of the LGBTQIA+ Community with a specific identity (I am not familiar with the terms, so I am just going to leave Darling's identity vague).
    My concern is that by the Team stating that this is just the beginning and they have future plans in regards to updating all of the sims that we as players have been playing this game with for years and changing them to suit the developers way of playing and the viewpoints of GLAAD and the It Gets Better Project without considering the playstyles of all of their player base that may not play their personal game with these stories in mind kind of worries me. The implementation seems less inclusive if it is harder to not use it than to use it. It just feels more restrictive than inclusive to all playstyles when you consider that there is already 159+ premade households (as of My Wedding Stories) plus all the random townies generated every play session that a player will have to spend time having to use cheat codes and mods in order to change, some of which have been in the game since the beginning and players have strong opinions, ideas, and feelings about these characters in their games.
    This is just my opinion, and I am not speaking for anybody else.

This is kind of what I'm a little nervous about, in that if/when they go in and update the premade households, that they'll inadvertently ruin the player's saves. Especially if you're playing with a premade household or a member of said premade household.

Like imagine, you're playing with Alexander Goth who married your sim and had a family with. Then suddenly he's made herto/gay and is suddenly not attracted to their spouse sexually anymore because the Gurus pushed a button and made him not hetro/gay attracted anymore. I'm not saying that can't happen IRL, it happened in my family quite recently in fact, but it can cause quite a bit of devastation or chaos in someone's saved game.

Anyway, think the Gurus should leave the premades alone if/when they do pack refreshes (if they ever do) and leave it up to the player's decision on how to handle their game/saves. Because I want to play the sims my way, not be forced to play the way someone else deems appropriate.

ETA: FIY, I am actually happy this system is coming to the game, I have a few sims I've been wanting to make exclusively gay, bi and straight for a while now. I've also been dying for a "friendly" woohoo option for years now, I'm just surprised it wasn't included sooner.

I do think whoever at EA wrote the announcement could have worded their statement a little better, and options to opt-out are always good, heck it's what people have been bellyaching about occults for years now (I mean to opt-out of occults just don't buy the packs they're a part of, but that's besides the point lmao).

As I said above, I do advise caution for the Gurus not to update the preferences of pre-existing NPC's as I firmly believe they should be left in the hands of players to decide. But that's all I can do.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    As I said above, I do advise caution for the Gurus not to update the preferences of pre-existing NPC's as I firmly believe they should be left in the hands of players to decide. But that's all I can do.

The Gurus said in the live stream that all premades already in the game will not have sexual orientations. They will be the same as always. They were going to go back and update them, but decided there are too many and they scrapped the idea.

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    This is kind of what I'm a little nervous about, in that if/when they go in and update the premade households, that they'll inadvertently ruin the player's saves. Especially if you're playing with a premade household or a member of said premade household.

Like imagine, you're playing with Alexander Goth who married your sim and had a family with. Then suddenly he's made herto/gay and is suddenly not attracted to their spouse sexually anymore because the Gurus pushed a button and made him not hetro/gay attracted anymore. I'm not saying that can't happen IRL, it happened in my family quite recently in fact, but it can cause quite a bit of devastation or chaos in someone's saved game.

They can't update households in existing saves anyway. Remember Goth update? It affected only saves created after the fact, in all old saves Goth family remained the same.

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I'm glad they're adding sexual orientation, and I hope this is a baby step to a more in-depth attraction system later on (you know, one where we can use traits and physical attributes as turnoffs/turnons). Though, this does make the female werewolf beast form customization issue stick out even more as a side-effect. All of these great tools to customize our sims' sexual and gender identity...but female werewolves have their busts locked to flat and you have to pull the hip and waist sliders to maximim or near maximum to give them proper feminine curves when transformed. Thanks for the official sexual orientation options...now please fix female werewolves' beast forms.

Answer about the female werewolves breasts:

Can female werewolves’ breasts be seen?

Yes, but they’d be wolf te-ats, not human breasts.

One might think that a wolf with human breasts would draw attention first to the presence of breasts, NOT the absence of a tail. So “no tail” being the distinguishing mark for classic werewolves means their breasts are actually wolf te-ats.

That's not an answer, let alone an acceptable one. If I can make a bisexual female human sim with cartoonishly exaggerated bust, waist, hips, and behind, who is also able to get other people pregnant, then I should be able to have proper breasts and feminine curves on my female werewolf in her werewolf form. Period.

Fair enough. Werewolves are part human, and we often overlook that in favor of their more lupine features.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm looking forward to making an aroace lady sim with the new sexual preferences.
  • Options
    Celina_NagyCelina_Nagy Posts: 16 Member
    > @catmando830 said:

> We should have the ability to toggle all these odd options to off. Because we can't my kids have told me my grandchildren are no longer allowed to play the Sims.

Really that sound anti LGBTQ+ and really is not need to toggle off
    Generated sims will have the defaults, it mean like before this patch
  • Options
    somewhsome wrote: »

They can't update households in existing saves anyway. Remember Goth update? It affected only saves created after the fact, in all old saves Goth family remained the same.

Yeah, you're right about the Goths save that were pre-update. I'm probably being a bit over-cautious since I'm unsure of how extensive the update will be, like it's a good update ngl, but I am worried is all.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options

The Gurus said in the live stream that all premades already in the game will not have sexual orientations. They will be the same as always. They were going to go back and update them, but decided there are too many and they scrapped the idea.

Ahhh, I must have skipped over that part of the live stream and got confused by the announcement that EA released about the sexuality update. I'm hoping it's not as chaotic as TS3 attraction system, hoo boy that was a hot mess.
  • Options
    revgrvrevgrv Posts: 225 Member
    People please. The devs haven't updated premades with hot and cold outfits (barring the Goths and their redo), they don't even go back and add toilets to premade lots missing them. In what world would they retroactively add sexual orientation to each and every premade?
    &PHgr;
  • Options

Ahhh, I must have skipped over that part of the live stream and got confused by the announcement that EA released about the sexuality update. I'm hoping it's not as chaotic as TS3 attraction system, hoo boy that was a hot mess.

It was towards the end of their discussion of the system if I remember correctly. The whole conversation starts around the 31:00 mark.

I don't remember a lot about that attraction system, I recall it had things like zodiac signs, favorite color, things like that. That's the kind of thing I don't want to see the TS4 attraction system to be built around. It can be a minor part of it, but not something that carries a lot of weight. I want the attraction system to be built around things like personality traits, shared interests, at the top, hair color and eye color somewhere in the middle or lower end lower end of points of attraction. I'd love for that system to have a whole list of things that our sims find attractive and allow so to pick and choose and then have those choices ranked and weighted. If you have a list the things at the top are more important, more powerful. Or have two tiers of things they find attractive, things in tier 1 are twice as strong as things in tier 2. I don't want it to be all about superficial appearances.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2022
    A question about this:
    "How will this impact my game if I don’t change the Sexual Orientation settings?
    If you change none of the Sexual Orientation settings, your Sim will romantically behave as they currently do prior to the release of this feature."

So my Sims will be 'Hetero' men and women if I don't choose anything, correct?

Sims have never been hetero by default
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited July 2022
    Will Vampiric Fascination power and Infatuate spell override the sexual orientation ?

I mean it's strong powers maybe nobody can resist.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    edited July 2022
    After gaining more of an understanding of how this system will work, I don't think the burden of change will be on those of us who like the game as is.

In the game now every single sim you could possibly come across has no gender preference. None, nada, zilch. Moving forward all randomly generated sims will be set to absolutely no gender preference. The only sims that will are the handful that are designed with each new pack. Of those, not all of them will be of the LGBTQIA+ community, only a few.

So therefore, if you want a "pan" only community, you will have to change only a few per pack. If you want a "gay" or "straight" or whatever only community it will fall on you to change every single sim that is and will exist to meet this restriction.

So those of us who love the game as is are golden. They're not taking that from us. They're just making it easier for those who don't want "pansexuality" to be the majority a possibility. But they will have to do the work to remove it.

Again, that's what I'm understanding.
  • Options
    Will Vampiric Fascination power and Infatuate spell override the sexual orientation ?

Vampiric Fascination already considers sexual preferences actually (I don't know about the spell). (The only thing he gets wrong is that he thinks sims are heterosexual by default; that's not true, they are 0/0 out of CAS, and then they slowly start to gain points towards genders they flirt with).
    I've tested it myself, and it was the same for me.
  • Options

Vampiric Fascination already considers sexual preferences actually (I don't know about the spell). (The only thing he gets wrong is that he thinks sims are heterosexual by default; that's not true, they are 0/0 out of CAS, and then they slowly start to gain points towards genders they flirt with).

So they already learn who to be attracted to by who you, the player, have them interact flirtatious with?

That's very interesting!
  • Options
    DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member

Certainly not.
    Can you imagine the outcry if a sim through mental compulsions could override the sexual orientation of someone? I doubt EA will be stepping into this minefield.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Darren wrote: »

Certainly not.
    Can you imagine the outcry if a sim through mental compulsions could override the sexual orientation of someone? I doubt EA will be stepping into this minefield.

Why would there be an outcry? I mean vampire can do whatever they want by their very nature. Gay vampires can seduce straight sims and straight vampires can seduce gay sims. It balances out. I don't think there would be much of an outcry over a fictional character in a fictional game. Oh wait, yeah nevermind...

I would love it personally.
  • Options

So they already learn who to be attracted to by who you, the player, have them interact flirtatious with?

That's very interesting!

Yes, for sure!
    If you have MCCC, you can check who your sims prefer. 0/0 means they are not particularly attracted to anyone and never had any romantic interactions — it's what the default setting with the update will mean, I assume. 100/100 means they are totally pansexual, and 0/100 means they are either gay or hetero. For example, I checked that gay couple from Henford yesterday, and one of them had 0 for women and 100 for men, while other had 5 for women and 95 for men, meaning he probably flirted with some lady at least once. Random sims also can have different scores if they are not freshly generated.

It doesn't affect actual gameplay much though, in my opinion. Most sims are too ready to accept your flirting anytime.
  • Options

That's very interesting!

Yes, for sure!
    If you have MCCC, you can check who your sims prefer. 0/0 means they are not particularly attracted to anyone and never had any romantic interactions — it's what the default setting with the update will mean, I assume. 100/100 means they are totally pansexual, and 0/100 means they are either gay or hetero. For example, I checked that gay couple from Henford yesterday, and one of them had 0 for women and 100 for men, while other had 5 for women and 95 for men, meaning he probably flirted with some lady at least once. Random sims also can have different scores if they are not freshly generated.

It doesn't affect actual gameplay much though, in my opinion. Most sims are too ready to accept your flirting anytime.

I'm on Xbox so no MCCC. Also, to be clear, you only reference it to point out what happens behind the scenes, not that MCCC is causing this?

This is interesting. So they autonomously experiment and then build their stories around those at first random experiments?
  • Options

That's very interesting!

Yes, for sure!

I'm on Xbox so no MCCC. Also, to be clear, you only reference it to point out what happens behind the scenes, not that MCCC is causing this?

This is interesting. So they autonomously experiment and then build their stories around those at first random experiments?

Yes, MCCC is just a way to check this, it's programmed like that (and was very similar in Sims 2 and 3).
    I recommend the wiki article, it sums it all quite well, I don't think I can explain better: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Gender_preference
  • Options

That's very interesting!

Yes, for sure!

Yes, MCCC is just a way to check this, it's programmed like that (and was very similar in Sims 2 and 3).
    I recommend the wiki article, it sums it all quite well, I don't think I can explain better: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Gender_preference

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't realized that happened behind the scenes. So the attraction system that I recommended is already in place but it's being changed.

Does this system take anything other than gender into consideration? Like age, body type, hair color, etc. Or is it simply, "you man, me must flirt?"
  • Options

That's very interesting!

Yes, for sure!

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't realized that happened behind the scenes. So the attraction system that I recommended is already in place but it's being changed.

Does this system take anything other than gender into consideration? Like age, body type, hair color, etc. Or is it simply, "you man, me must flirt?"

No, not in the Sims 4. In the Sims 2 there is a complex chemistry system, Sims 3 has something like that too I think, but I haven't played much.

Also I don't think this update will change much of the score system — to me it sounds like it's based on it, plus we will have an option to lock our sims' preferences so they won't change over time (and they will reject sims they are not attracted to).
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited July 2022
    The game has already been setting Gender Preferences for random townies. It's been doing it for over a year.

When I start a new save with a single Sim, unless that Sim has a Gender Preference, the only Sims that have a GP are married premades which is one of the reasons why I didn't think it made sense for the game to make them appear at every venue and community lot. Why would my single unattached Sim be interested in meeting a married Sim? I think I found out why. One of the biggest flirts in my game has consistently been Brant Hecking, who's a great Sim to play. Brent not so much because he seems to be always angry or enraged. I think our Sims are supposed to be home-wreckers.

For the past year or so, I've noticed that random townies won't have a GP until my playable Sim becomes romantically involved with someone. Once my playable Sim has established a GP then all random townies generated after that will have a GP too, including children. The combination I see most often is that a townie will have a GP of +100 for Male and +100 for Female. This includes newly generated townie children. I wonder if this is how it's going to be handled after the update? I'm not really too keen on kids having a GP but knowing EA/Maxis this is probably intended.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top