Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They should do a stuff pack for men.

Comments

• Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense for their playerbase..it's primarily women aged 18-24, and then after that women aged 25+. These players mostly play with female/feminine Sims. Would a pack with more male hairstyles and fashion be awesome? Sure, but I don't want an exclusively male pack, and it simply wouldn't be profitable.

It wasn't appealing only to that demographic until sims4 came along and removed everything that appealed to everyone else. The renewed interest in sims3 and sims2 demonstrates that the playerbase isn't just made up of people content with only building, or only dressing and making up Sims as fashion dolls.

They could restore balance by bringing back what sims4 lacks: excitement, risk, danger, consequences, fast cars, motorcycles, blowing things up (sims3 ambitions).

Then it would regain its broader appeal.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    Well overall I feel the whole pack could be designed with a male audience in mind, of course plenty of stuff could appeal to everyone of course, but as it is they strongly market everything towards women and focus on stuff for women mostly.

So the items and gameplay could focus on more typically masculine activities, which of course women can do too.

Like some stuff to build a man cave or garage, maybe motorcycles along with clothes fit for a biker, and being able to build several kinds of old broken motorcycles and be able to fix them up to something beautiful while developing the handiness skill.
    Maybe have some sort of pin up model posters to put on the walls, nothing inappropriate but clearly something sexy.

Some new sports to practice could also be included, like baseball.
    Kids could play catch with their parents, there could be a junior league for kids and teens to play in and a bunch of new professional sport careers could be added that could function a bit differently since there's less advancement there and it's more on skill. Could be a job that makes a lot of money if they're good but also something that could become hard to keep up with once no longer young adult. So more something that sims could retire earlier from.

But there could also be a boxing ring, Sims could box against each other. Boxing could be one of the new sport careers.
    Or maybe like karate or another martial arts. Possibly a return of Sim Fu, which sims could also use in self defence.

Could also be a new bar venue that could appeal to men, some sort of dive bar where sims might encounter a poolshark or could be the hussling poolshark themselves. Could be sport on the tv there, dart games, and maybe they could add actual alcohol to the game again since sims 1 had it. Let sims have a beer.

Some arcade games could be cool to have too, more videogames would be welcome either way. But I'd love to see arcade games where a sim could sit on a bike or be behind a steering wheel as they play the game, or fire plastic guns at the monitor.

Heck they could revamp the whole way sims play videogames to be more realistic, playing it differently based on genre. And work their traits into it, a hot headed sim should get angry if losing a videogame. The way sims play videogames you'd think EA knows as little about videogames as writers on sitcoms.

All the things you mentioned are why I went to sims3 after getting every pack in sims4, and why I'm still buying expansion packs in sims3 that are STILL worth $20 each, for all that: a chopper, lots of beards, body hair, pinball games, arcade games, pool table that Sims can play together, customizable sports cars, the ability to start a band and jam our with other people instead of only playing guitar by yourself, and martial arts, again, that you can do with others, not just by yourself. Sure, the kegstand is with a keg of so-called 'juice' and we all know what juice pong is, but I can get past that because the animations are good.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    Yeah that's pretty much why I am back to Sims 3 too. It's no competition. It has much broader appeal and possibilities.
    Men can actually be masculine there. Body hair alone already makes such a big difference since most men have at least some on their arms and legs.
    If they can give women a boob slider, they could at least give men some body hair and more facial hair options.

It's so refreshing to play Sims 3 again, the base game has more facial hair options than Sims 4 has with all expansions.
    Also lots of clothes men would actually wear. Full length pants in many varieties.
    Messy hairstyles too, not all those gross perfectly styled hairstyles. A dude can just be a regular dude and not a super gay supermodel.

And the traits help a lot too, there's so many more here. Sims actually act as you'd imagine with the traits you give them. In Sims 4 if you make an evil mean sim, they will just befriend everyone and never do anything mean unless told to do that.
  • Options
    Nicocacola1992Nicocacola1992 Posts: 23 Member
    I completely agree that they need to be more inclusive of men. Surely enabling players to make sims that can live one way of life but not another goes against their initiatives to encourage inclusivity.

Rather than a stuff pack, I think they should give an update with more male CAS content that isn't overly stylised, since it seems so fundamental. I can't see why they wouldn't, being as there have been similar updates promoting inclusiveness in the past.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    The thing with big companies is, that it can be hard to tell if they are being genuinely inclusive, or to score points and draw attention.
    If they are focused on the latter, they may not do a pack focused on men because they can't spin extra media attention out of it.

I mean, the Playmobil toy brand for example on one hand shows diversity in the families you can buy from their online store, showing same sex and interracial couples with kids while at the same time they keep anything medieval or fairytales strictly divided into sexist boys and girls themes. While they actually had that gathered together into gender neutral themes in the past.
    But for the last two decades it's been pink castles with fairies and all for girls, and forts with only soldiers and knights for boys. So they separated it into two weaker themes that where so much stronger together.

As it is, Sims 4 isn't that far off from the whole 'pretty pink princess' kind of theme. It's like they actively cater to girls who feel too old to play with barbies and give them an alternative.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,242 Member
    edited July 2021
    50 Hobbies for Men You Can Start at Home (27 done)
    https://www.thetrendspotter.net/best-hobbies-for-men/
    1. Yoga
    2. Meditation
    3. Learning musical instrument
    4. Cooking
    5. Home workout
    6. Baking
    7. Learn to dance
    8. Photography
    9. Online investment
    10. Watchmaking
    11. Reading
    12. Electronic music producing
    13. Learn languages
    14. Blogging
    15. Learn magic
    16. Puzzle solving
    17. Darting
    18. Boxing
    19. Origami
    20. Lego
    21. Knitting
    22. Adult board games
    23. Gaming
    24. Painting
    25. Coding
    26. Sculpture
    27. Woodwork
    28. Martial art
    29. Lock picking
    30. Media production
    31. Cheese tasting
    32. Museum
    33. DIY
    34. Master of quizzes
    35. Homebrewing
    36. Leather and PVC crafts
    37. Learn rocketry
    38. Online thrifting
    39. Building robots
    40. Rebuilding motorcycles
    41. Learn car maintenance
    42. Online life coaching
    43. Wet shaving
    44. Writing
    45. Astronomy
    46. Movie critic
    47. Gardening
    48. Digital marketing
    49. Model crafting
    50. Ceramics

In addition
    1. Skiing and snowboarding
    2. Chess
    3. Archery
    4. Tattooing
    5. Rock climbing
    6. Paintball
    7. Cycling
    8. Skateboarding and BMX
    9. Knife making
    10. Sailing
    11. Flying
    12. Rock and mineral collecting
    13. Billiards
    14. Volunteering
    15. Poker and cards
    16. Golfing
    17. Fishing
    18. Auto racing
    19. Surfing
    20. Snorkeling
    21. Bowling
    22. Movie watching
    23. Camping
    24. Skydiving
    25. Hiking
    26. Parkour
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    They'll probably going to go with the obvious stereotypes if they end up doing a male themed pack, you know the ones that protray us as bumbling immature idiots that only loves sports and knows how to repair a car, Honestly as a Canadian man I hate hockey in fact I can't stand sports, like how can you enjoy that boring 🐸🐸🐸🐸, I also don't know how to repair vehicles, sure I can take an engine apart but I can't put it back together, I've been known to break everything I touch IRL, like a gremlin.
  • Options
    Spa Day update (fingernails) is another Female content when they could also add Body Hair and Waxing.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’d love a Dudes and Dads pack. I want to see some grungy pants with bottoms that are worn, some worn-out cargo shorts like my husband won’t get rid of (and why should he), and some business casual stuff that doesn’t look so crisp. The older the dude, the harder it is to find something age appropriate without them having to look very dressed up or preppy. I want clothes for those who don’t care about fashion.

I really like the suggestion upthread to have a shaving kit they can use, just like there’s a makeup vanity. Think about it: the makeup goes on but it’s only temporary. So they have a way of changing how the face looks without permanently changing it in CAS. Now imagine your sim had a beard set in CAS, but with the shaving kit, they can take it off temporarily. Then it “grows back”.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,663 Member
    The idea that the game is geared to females, so the majority of the assets need to be stereotypically female seems strange. Even if that’s right and the player demographic is strongly female, and those females want to play dress up with female sims, their female sims live in worlds where males exist. Those female sims need dads and grand dads and boyfriends who are fully developed characters, as well. To be honest, though, I really don’t see too many examples on here of female players exclusively playing female sims. If you look at the cc world, you’d think that Simmers only play to design super models, but I don’t see that here.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,579 Member
    Actually my daughter doesn't play with male Sims because there aren't enough nice hair and clothing option for them. She'd love to play with them and I know we'd buy a pack dedicated to males the second it were out.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    The idea that the game is geared to females, so the majority of the assets need to be stereotypically female seems strange. Even if that’s right and the player demographic is strongly female, and those females want to play dress up with female sims, their female sims live in worlds where males exist. Those female sims need dads and grand dads and boyfriends who are fully developed characters, as well. To be honest, though, I really don’t see too many examples on here of female players exclusively playing female sims. If you look at the cc world, you’d think that Simmers only play to design super models, but I don’t see that here.

The idea isn‘t strange. It‘s logical. One of the simmers that cries the most on Twitter about the lack of masculine clothing is a CC creator… yet the vast majority of his CC are for female sims. Why doesn‘t he set a good example and focus on male CC? Because he knows there is little demand for it and his monthly earnings on Patreon would fall drastically if he focused on that.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Kits are gonna answer your call.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I like the idea of body hair, but I bet that will be a patch item; that way, everyone can have it.

Shaving if they can would be nice.

I hate the rolled up pants. My Sims men wear normal length pants.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,392 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I like the idea of body hair, but I bet that will be a patch item; that way, everyone can have it.

Shaving if they can would be nice.

I hate the rolled up pants. My Sims men wear normal length pants.

They need to add a shaving kit or something. It should naturally come with body and facial hair and the option for waxing and shaving and manscaping. I think it would be lovely if men could add daily shaving to their daily routine.
  • Options
    ArarineArarine Posts: 252 Member
    Women player dress male sims too,ok. Want more men clothes and hairstyle. Bald one is good. Hollywood one is good. Hobo is good. Normal one is good. Shaving is gonna make game more realitic. Hair body is good too. More woodwork! Armwrestle! Model building! More career! More collection! Comic! Car! More gameplay!
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • Options
    ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    How about a Back to Basics Pack for the whole family with Basic outfits for lounging around home. Or maybe a Plaid Pack. Casual Plaid to Plaid suits and the Hairdos we'd sport with them. I want to see morning hair for sleepwear with a Hair Pack we can vote for which styles to include.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2021
    Most of the stories in my head are about males, with only a few females as main characters. I can say with all honesty the male Sim is neglected since many times I had to use the same type clothes and or hairstyles over and over because the choices are really limited. I had to go find cc for males in all these games (except The Sims). And that search was even limited because a lot of creators borrow Maxis meshes to create a new skin for something. There aren't that many meshes (even in older games) and why so many creators just stick with female type clothing since they have hundreds of meshes.

I also don't believe the demographic is the 18-24 female group but those teen girls on Instagram, after all that is what a CM said a few years ago. Something like those 'teen girls on Instagram with rich parents'. < She Literally said that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    This is the thing - there's things missing in the game that we ask for and THEY are perfect for Kit Packs - like yeah, a big old CAS For Manly Manly Men Pack.

But no, we get things we don't ask for, like some sort of Moroccan theme.

I don't CARE that it looks good, because it DOES look good, but how about adding the things we're MISSING before adding the pretty icing on the cake?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    But no, we get things we don't ask for, like some sort of Moroccan theme.

It's an European request, the North Africa culture is a part of our society and history.
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    edited November 2021
    I ALWAYS play females because it’s my personal play style. Since I’m a girl myself, it’s easier for me to design them. I knew females always got more items in packs, but then I realized just how much. The boys are really lacking items, specially hair styles. Body hair should be basegame imo, and maybe a pack (preferably werewolves, if it ever comes) could add more options like they did with spa day nails.

I think I realized just how much girls do get more items then boys when I Compared hairstyles. I wanted to give my male sim a new hairstyle to show him maturing and I couldn’t find any that showed him getting older, yet captured his dorky nature (you wouldn’t believe how much a hairstyle can change a sim. I know it’s sounds cheesy, but it’s true, especially since I’m a story based player). None.

His wife has piebaldism, aka I use hairstyles where pieces are dyed in black and white. I don’t plan on them having a child for a bit, but I want them to have a son so I can finally play a dude. I want him to, story rise, inherent his mothers piebaldism because I think it would be adorable. I was looking through hairstyles to see if there’s actually any hairstyles that could work. None, at all. There’s only like 2 or 3 dyed hairs that boys have (I don’t have all packs, but a lot) and none of them are what I need.

Not to mention you can’t have a male based pack solely because people will cry sexism despite most clothing being catered towards girls.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    I don't think there should be a Man Pack for the simple reason that things like body hair, more facial hair, more male hairstyles and better male clothing should be in a base game refresh.

Stereotypically male activities (fixing cars, boxing, etc) should be part of a general Freetime pack, as should anything stereotypically female. These activities can appeal to anyone, regardless of sex.

The Kids Room and Toddlers packs were fine because they were aimed at an age group, not a sex. I wouldn't want Womanly Stuff as a pack because there's no activity or hobby that can only be done by woman.

(unless they make a Screaming Childbirth Stuff pack but... I don't see that happening XD )
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited November 2021
    rhalius wrote: »
    Maybe have some sort of pin up model posters to put on the walls, nothing inappropriate but clearly something sexy.

Yeah, like this basegame one, but with more variations, such as different girls sitting on the same rocket. 🤭

Pinup.jpg

(I didn’t draw this.) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Body hair though...I said it before...not gonna say it again...but it better be soon. They should hire Luumia and make it official. 😁

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Interesting that they more or less did what you said here in feb. They added variants to that pin up poster, and they hired Luumia as a cinematic artist.

Let's hope that the rest of your post is right and that Luumia will maybe assist them with making body hair.

I agree that the game needs more CAS stuff for men, especially more beards, shirts and formal wear. It doesn't have to be an entirely new pack or a kit, they could just make some more CAS for men in their future releases.

And if the reason why they are not doing is because the majority that are playing sims are women, I say...Maxis doesn't always cater to the majority. Sometimes they just make something that maybe not everyone wants.