Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you/would you use whims?

Comments

• Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I use them sometimes to add a little more to the game, but turn them off when they get repetitive. I would use them more if there was more of a connection to my Sim’s personality or lifestyle.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    I don't and won't use them. I think they are good for those not familiar with the game to help get you going, but 20+ years in and I think I'm good. I prefer to let my sims do what they want or just control them. On the rare occasion I will create a wheel for my game and use it, but its rare I do that.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    The game gets really boring with every day being work, work-homework, needs, sleep. I get enough of that in real life. Sometimes I turn on whims just for the plum of it, and sometimes I turn it on to decide when my Sims will try for a baby. BTW, waiting for both Sims to want a baby at the same time can take a while!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I use whims and I like them as they are
    I use whims, but it's a mod with another word before whims :wink:
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    I dont use whims
    Since The Sims 2 I don't obey to the game rules.

Wants/Fear/Whim, Aspiration, Needs, … I ignore them and cheat.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I love whims, I play with them all the time. I just wish they were less "purchase this" and "purchase that". I hate materialism. I also wish we got more whims in general. I haven't notice a new one for ages. Which is kind of disappointing.

I would like to have whims based on traits, likes, skills and most importantly relationships.

I agree with this point of view and is exactly my wish for whims as the teams do more refreshes on packs from the past.
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    I use them, but most of the time forget they are there because they are too generic, wish they were more tailored to specific traits. I used to like the wants/fears system, that made much more of an impact on my sims, try for a baby etc doing things like spend x simoleans or buy a hottub is meaningless.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I always use whims but I wish they were better linked to a sim's traits.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    The whims in this game are absolutely AWFUL. I try to use them, and even with mods, its's not enough. The whim system needs an entire overhaul, we need an actual want system like TS2 or TS3.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    One of the worst issue with whims is that pinning whims doesn't work. Every other day, whims will reroll despite being pinned. It's impossible to even update the whim system to something meaningful while this issue persists.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    I love whims, I play with them all the time. I just wish they were less "purchase this" and "purchase that". I hate materialism. I also wish we got more whims in general. I haven't notice a new one for ages. Which is kind of disappointing.

I would like to have whims based on traits, likes, skills and most importantly relationships.

I agree with this point of view and is exactly my wish for whims as the teams do more refreshes on packs from the past.

This was as serious part of the first game; it was a pretty forceful jab against materialism and consumerism. That... disappeared in the later games.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    One of the worst issue with whims is that pinning whims doesn't work. Every other day, whims will reroll despite being pinned. It's impossible to even update the whim system to something meaningful while this issue persists.

This has driven me crazy for the longest time, what is the point in me locking in important whims that can take a while to achieve when they just unlock and vanish? It ruins the game for me because my game play style is heavily driven by whims, I use them to guide me in what my sims want in their lives.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    because no! you are not getting a pool so stop asking for it.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2021
    I dont use whims
    I stopped using whims long time ago when all they started giving me was buy a bee box or become flirty. They annoyed me, because they made my sims look not so bright, lol. I like to think there is more going on in their minds. So I turned them off.

I would consider getting back to them if they focused heavily on particular sim and also updated accordingly to how sim developed through gameplay for example the reward traits or parenthood traits. For example sim with brave trait would like to try push their luck more often, try extreme sports or wanted to see a ghost and sim who aged up with argumentative trait would like to argue with others and put everybody down. Sometimes it happens with current whims, but it feels more like accident than design.

Whims as they are focus only on bee box and emotions which is unfortunate, because sims have personality traits and they should be much more powerful in gameplay than emotions. My point is that hot headed sims should desire different things when flirty or confident than loner sim. For example: hot headed wants immediate woohoo in the bush and loner wants more touching and kissing before that.
    I would like for whims to reflect the individuality of my sims. And because they don’t I’m making the whims for them.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited October 2021
    I dont use whims
    Early on in Sims 4 I used whims they were okay but I wish they more so fit the Sims personality and skills and that there was more of them. Pack after pack they were never updated and sadly instead of improved disabled and forgotten but at this point I'd rather just see them add a wants and fears system seeing as fear is actually a thing now is a good time.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I dont use whims
    I used to when I first got the game but I hadn't played much recently so I hadn't had a use for them. Maybe one day when I am able to play the game again, I will try again if they are revamped. I prefer the Wants/Fears/Aspirations system from Sims 2.
  • Options
    GameBoy2936GameBoy2936 Posts: 30 Member
    I dont use whims
    No... not really a fan of whims. They're a bit too random, honestly, and there's not enough variety. It's an interesting addon but it needs work/improvement
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who is getting tired of sims always wanting the same things and having unhealthy obsessions with certain objects. Like, NO, Darci, for the 20th time, I'm not buying you a bee box for your tiny San Myshuno apartment when you don't even cook, have a garden, or any hobbies that require bees or their products, so stop asking for it already!!

The thing is, I actually like whims as a concept, they could make the game more realistic and give different sims more distinct behaviours based on their hobbies and personalities, but unfortunately they suffer from the same old TS4 disease of being a good idea with bad execution, so I don't use them a lot.
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I like the whims! I just wish EA had kept updating the whims with all the latest packs. I think they stopped after Get Famous. Not sure....
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    What they need is to retroactively add whims for
    1) past packs that got none
    2) additional for BG updates (sentiments and favorites, for example)
    3) pack-specific features with major crossover into everyday playing (lifestyles)

Then, to add some more point rewards. Heart bed from TS1, hover bed from TS3, food replicator from TS3, and such stuff could be re-added into the game as rewards for points.

And they also need a better generation that respects traits, lifestyles, sentiments, etc. rather than generic stuff (buy a bee box because it's spring and I don't care if you like gardening or not)
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    Like many others, I find the in-game whims a bit lackluster and repetitive. I also use Bienchen’s Whim Overhaul and MissyHissy's Custom Whims to shake things up.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I don’t use whims as much as I used to because they stopped updating them for packs.

I wish that they would give whims for all expansions, game packs , and stuff packs. I also wish they would base them on traits, likes and skills.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Of course, I want to be forever fresh with a steel bladder & never weary while watering my money tree.

But I don't want to do it by giving my housekey to strangers or putting a bee box, hot tub, or bubble blower in my small apt. Meeting someone new doesn't seem really safe after 2am. And I'm a little too busy to play in a leaf pile or have a water balloon fight. Leave a note for who? I live alone & don't have a bulletin board. I don't know any kids, so why do I want to buy a toy or an activity table?

Hopefully, it's on their refresh to-do.
  • Options
    Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    I use whims and I like them as they are
    I do like to use whims when I'm unsure of what I want to do with my sim during the moment. I think they're a great way to do some in-between character/story development, and something small that you're not in control of as a player.
    I'd love to see them have more relevance or be updated but I honestly don't have a good suggestion as to how.
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited October 2021
    A materialistic sim constantly having whims on buying new stuff would seem natural but my active sim is getting a "buy a new treadmill" constantly even though he already owns one. My freegan sim is also constantly getting "buy a new X" whims, why?! Buying new stuff makes her tense AF!
    Happy simming!