Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you/would you use whims?

The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Do you/would you use whims? 247 votes

I use whims and I like them as they are
18%
BluegayleGalacticGalIcewolfSikoahGraceStormkeepMi9shaoscarmonjr8302MindofyDarkLady2788Lustianiciaashcrash19emereSerendipity38halloweenchildSweetieWright_84SindocatNikolaiBanksKathykinsRedDestiny92ImSands 45 votes
I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
56%
auroraael14SimCrazyCK213Frn0731EvvieSimmerSara1010PMstybl95HejixSamadamsPlayeralexspoom13alan650111IceyJSimmervilleOolonglongoveronBreeNillasuetoopdanacnbrettxoJessiTheSpotted_C 140 votes
I dont use whims
20%
bshag4lvLeGardePourpreJaiSearudolphaJueJuelisamwittxaenythrhaliuselanorbretonsekojranaBlueKeltdavina1221taydevbixterspammiechickAstroChadSims2Karababy52DeKayMasonGamer 51 votes
I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
4%
Goth583Monet11Beardedgeekg01denswanLizzychicagoOnverserEnkiSchmidtsunblondjohnjetwahini2024SimDork23 11 votes

Comments

• DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    I dont use whims
    Whims were just handled very poorly. I'm not going to say that the Wants from Sims 2 and 3 were amazing, but the Whims in Sims 4 just kept....repeating no matter what, and they were the same exact whims that another Sim of different personality would want. I just turned it off because I didn't even try to accomplish their Whims. If they brought back the Wants (AND FEARS) and built upon them I'd be all for it.
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    I use whims to drive my gameplay all the time and I really like how it works as immediate/short goals for my Sims. My impression is that when I follow my Sims whims generally something random happens after a while or the gameplay itself flows better (but I guess this is much more on how you play the game).

I wish they would keep updating it (RIP) and also fixing old ones (text or/and functionality)
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I think the main problem with the whims system is that they stopped including new whims with packs, and they didn’t have enough variety to begin with. We also don’t see the same progression we saw in TS2 Wants. For instance, “gain a skill point” gets satisfied when your sim increases their cooking skill, but then they roll a want to get their cooking skill to level 5. That progression made sense and it really felt like your sim wanted it.

I use Bienchen’s whim overhaul and it makes my gameplay so much more interesting.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I'd love to see more whims from later pack releases.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    MORE WHIMS. Other than that, with whimoverhaul, I'm a happy camper.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I dont use whims
    I loved whims and used them all the time to build satisfaction points for my Sims. But after awhile, they weren't updated and became very, very repetitive. I would use them again in a heartbeat if by some miracle they were updated for all packs and weren't so repetitive. For one thing, the buy a bee box, buy a1x1 pool, buy a stove, buy a bed, buy a toilet, etc., all those 'buy buys' need to go bye bye! 99% of my Sims start out Rags to Riches and it just makes me sad seeing those kind of whims, so I turned them off a long time ago.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I love using whims and will often use them for storytelling or to let my Sims to "make" certain decisions despite me controlling them. ie) If they have a whim to propose to their partner, I'll direct them to do that since it's technically something they wanted to do in the first place rather than me forcing it on them.

However, as others have said, I do wish whims were more relevant to a sim's personality or now that we have likes/dislikes, that they would reflect them. ie) a Sim who likes painting, wants to create a painting. Or a sim who likes cooking wants to a cook a meal. As opposed to getting so many "buy xyz."
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I use them, particularly for family planning. My couples have kids when BOTH have a whim to Try for Baby.

I don't feel chained to them, however, and freely dismiss whims that I am not especially interested in fulfilling.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    EAxis' idea of a whim is "buy a 1x1 pool", they're not nearly relevant enough.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I use Bienchen’s whim overhaul and it makes my gameplay so much more interesting.

Same !
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I use them sometimes and try to fill them if I catch them fast enough. I don't think I need them to be a bigger deal, I like them as they are now.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I like playing with whims a lot actually, as I prefer a looser, more "go with the flow" kind of play style, and so its fun for me to take cues form things like whims. But, I definitely they could use improvement based on how they are now. I've talked about this before, I think there's an old post (or a few lol) with me ranting about it around here someplace, but some basics I'd like improved are things like:

more bigger lifestyle whims like for adopting a child as well as the "try for baby" one, moving out of house when a sim ages up, quitting a job or switching careers as well as starting one when their unemployed (especially for the non-committal sims

fewer "buy" whims, and nixing buy whims completely when off the home lot, as often the sim has already bought the thing its just waiting for them at home

and then revamping them to be more tailored to traits and such (for instance, it should be less common for a happy loner sim to get the "meet someone new" whim, and there should be more diversity in the possible "happy" moodlet whims over all so they can better suit the different character traits available)

Also, when a whim gets "x-ed" out and canceled, there should be cool down period of, like, least a few sim hours if not a full sim day before it can re-appear again.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    I use Bienchen's whim overhaul too, and I love it. As others have said, unmodded they're just so repetitive and non engaging.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited October 2021
    I wish whims were more relevant to a Sims aspiration, traits, career, lifestyle, or family circumstances. I see "flirt with someone" a lot even when a Sim is in a committed relationship. What does that mean? Did they forget who they're engaged or married to? Or are they just not that interested in that Sim anymore? I also see that they want a 1x1 pool. Why is this even a whim? It's as useless as "buy a bee-box", "buy a wash-tub", or "buy a music instrument."

Teens have repeated whims that involve doing homework or extra credit because. Why? Because they boost Fun not skills.
    Children seem to have whims that involve social interactions, so they talk too much.

Likes and Dislikes have expanded verbal social options for Sim which is good since they like to talk so much. Speaking of Likes/Dislikes for hobbies - where's knitting?

One more thing - When I have a Sim that "Likes" Electronica Music then why does a song from the Pop category play over and over and over again? On the radio, at skating rinks, and on venue speakers? It should annoy my Sims as much as it does me, but no, they're blissfully unaware.
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    I wish they continued to add them inatead of abandoming creating whims which was just super dumb to me. I like the directions whims can give.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use whims and selected 'like them as they are' only because I have no real suggestions for how I would change them.

To me their a minor thing to do now and then, that I sometimes go after and sometimes don't.

More than the whims, I would like to see expansion of the likes / dislikes system. Major expansion of this system to include for every thing in the game sims can get up to - and hooks for modders to add more or disable some/all.
    - AND THEN... have that system be used to trigger whims.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited October 2021
    Very rarely i notice something and I use them or then i just fill them by mistake tbh lmao

but honestly I would have much rather had its ts2 ancestor:

Wants and Fears.

I was so obsessed with those and sims having different reactions to things due to them

but whims just... meh cause there isn't really negative reactions no aspiration failures and the tasks are boring and aspirations are so easy you don't even really need the extra points for reward store... just no reason to really be that into whims and do them

for after all thats all they are, whims. nothing more impactful.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member
    I dont use whims
    Not anymore.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I use whims but I don't like them as they are... that's why I have a mod for whims. :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I dont use whims
    I haven't been using whims. I forgot they exist. Knowing how obsessed I can get fulfilling all a sims needs/wants/etc I wonder how stressed I'd get worrying about my sim not buying that expensive "whatever" their current whim was fixed on. :D Still, one of these days I'll probably give them a look.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I use them only because I use Bienchen's whim overhaul mod.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I honestly forget they are there. I only really use them if I'm trying to get points.
  • ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 277 Member
    I tend to use whims during gameplay lulls when I don't know what to do, or when I'm first jumping into a household. If the whims reflected the sims traits/likes/dislikes better I would probably get more use out of them.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I dont use whims
    I like the idea of whims, but I've never used them much even before they hid them. I did try downloading a mod to make them more interesting, but even then I forgot to use them much and found the mod slowed down my game significantly, so I got rid of it.

All that to say, I would love them to overhaul the system, but I can't say whether that would get me to use it more or not.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I dont use whims
    They're kind of boring. Zzz