Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you/would you use whims?

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited October 2021
    I dont use whims
    Whims were okay like the first 1 year of playing the game. Then it got boring cuz it was repetitive and also in top of that, I always played the same sim household (even tho I sometimes use cheats to add more new traits for them), so the repetitiveness became more apparent.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    Whims are great in theory. But I liked the concept a whole lot better in Sims 2. Even if they don't want to bring Fears back, making Sims 4 Whims more like Sims 2 Wants, that actually make contextual sense for the sim's day-to-day reality and longer-term goals, would make them so much better.

But really, the Wants and Fears system from 2 was the pinnacle of that whole gameplay feature.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I dont use whims
    I haven’t used them in years. It came to a point where my whims for my sims overshadowed the game generated whims. And since they weren’t in sync with my whims I turned them off:
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I use whims together with whim overhaul mod so, yes, I definitely want they to be more significant. I want to see specific career whims, more whims sprouting from traits and preferences and they need to be a lot more variable comparing to their vanilla state.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    I dont use whims
    I sort of co-exist with whims, but I don't really "use" them. I leave them turned on, but I ignore them most of the time unless something happens to pop up that fits with the story and characters as I am already playing with them. When that happens, I'll pin it, but then I may or may not actually do the thing. Often, I don't.

I liked the way "wishes" were done in Sims 3 better, but even then I didn't intentionally use them much, and mostly ignored them. I just prefer making my own decisions about how to play.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Whims in TS4 are mostly unimportant, short sighted, and lack individuality between sims. From child to elder I will get the exact same whims and it's frustrating and boring.

I've always used wants/wishes to drive short term gameplay between long story ideas that span life stages. In earlier games, they were actually meaningful and different sims had different wants based on their age, and personality. Some wants/wishes were also more important than others and harder or took longer to achieve. They were also tied into aspirations in a gradual way.

So while I still use whims in TS4 to sometimes drive short term gameplay, they are mostly ignorable or I keep cycling through them until I get one that makes sense for the sim. As they are, they're just incredibly boring and almost useless.

I wish we would finally get wants/fears and better aspirations so these short term goals actually felt fulfilling or at least made sense. As they are currently they're just randomly based on what season it is and what household items you don't own. I have to cycle through so many useless ones just to get ones that focus on relationships with other sims. I was hoping that when they turned them off, it meant they were going to be working on something better. But, just like everything else, they dropped it instead of improving it.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    When all we had was the base game (and most of us hadn't played for long and hadn't figured things out), whims were more important because you didn't gain points as quickly. These days you get reward points for everything, so getting that perk that benefits your career or whatever is easy.
    Back then I literally grinded whims, until I realized how easy it was to get reward points in other ways.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    I use whims together with whim overhaul mod so, yes, I definitely want they to be more significant. I want to see specific career whims, more whims sprouting from traits and preferences and they need to be a lot more variable comparing to their vanilla state.

This^^
  • Options
    BassenheimZBassenheimZ Posts: 8 New Member
    Step by step
    1.Turn on whims
    2. get points
    3. get rewards
    4. ignore whims
    5. Repeat 2, 3, 4
    6. Start new family repeat 1 to 5

~I drank potions instead of water~
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    I used to use whims, but now every whim is 'buy [object] from [pack]' and nothing to do with their aspiration. I'd like them to be geared towards hobbies and traits more.
  • Options
    s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    The Whims are too random. They aren't specific in any way to the Sim or who they are. For intance: Married, Elder, cat lady.. wants to go to the club? Nah. Goody two shoes, perfect grades.. wants to be mean to someone? They were just not adding to my gameplay in anyway. So I turned them off.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I would use them if they actually pertained to the individual Sim and not generic items and packs. I currently don't use them unless I just want to earn some extra reward points, which I hardly ever use anyway.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2021
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    I don’t use whims because I like complete control over my sims, lol. In fact, I actually forgot that they existed since they somehow got turned off in my game, lol.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    I dont use whims
    > @DoodlyDoofus said:
    > Whims were just handled very poorly. I'm not going to say that the Wants from Sims 2 and 3 were amazing, but the Whims in Sims 4 just kept....repeating no matter what, and they were the same exact whims that another Sim of different personality would want. I just turned it off because I didn't even try to accomplish their Whims. If they brought back the Wants (AND FEARS) and built upon them I'd be all for it.

I used to use them but found myself constantly using them if you know what I mean. I'm old enough not to need that content to realize what simple under the covers woohooing implies. So I stopped using them. Besides, Whims is a massive mod that has to go with MC Command which is also a massive mod. That makes your pc run slower and causes crashes and I have a HP ProBook which has no processing problems at all and those 2 combined even slowed my pc down to a crawl. LOL
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    > @DoodlyDoofus said:
    > Whims were just handled very poorly. I'm not going to say that the Wants from Sims 2 and 3 were amazing, but the Whims in Sims 4 just kept....repeating no matter what, and they were the same exact whims that another Sim of different personality would want. I just turned it off because I didn't even try to accomplish their Whims. If they brought back the Wants (AND FEARS) and built upon them I'd be all for it.

I used to use them but found myself constantly using them if you know what I mean. I'm old enough not to need that content to realize what simple under the covers woohooing implies. So I stopped using them. Besides, Whims is a massive mod that has to go with MC Command which is also a massive mod. That makes your pc run slower and causes crashes and I have a HP ProBook which has no processing problems at all and those 2 combined even slowed my pc down to a crawl. LOL

I may be misunderstanding but I think you're talking about the mod that we're not allowed to discuss on the forums. This thread and discussion is about the in-game Whims (turned off by default in the settings menu) that randomize over the Sim's icon in the interface to show a Sim's possible wants like "Buy a 1x1 Pool" or "Flirt With Someone". They are all very generic and none are affiliated with traits or personality like they were in past games so a lot of people stopped using them.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I dont use whims
    I always forget they're there. Then once in awhile I go into the rewards store and realize my Sims have a whole bunch of points and I buy them traits. (I also have a mod that enables those traits to be passed down to their children, which makes it interesting!) So, I do like the points but I almost never get them intentionally. The one time I did was when a Sim's husband was about to die of old age and she almost had enough points to buy him a youth potion, so I had her frantically completing whims to get enough points. (She saved him just in time!) :lol:
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I use whims and I like them as they are
    I like whims (and the rewards of course!), but more added would be fab.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I dont use whims
    I've always used them, but somehow they got turned off, probably updated. But, I don't miss it and usually do my own thing.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I think we can ALL agree that whims need an overhaul.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I think whims need to actually register whether you own pets. If my sims EVER have a cat or dog and then the pet moves out or dies, then the whims continue to be all about buying pet toys and dog bowls. It's super annoying.
    Whims also feel very inconsequential. I wish there were more like "try for baby" and that there would be consequences if you didn't complete pinned whims. For example, if you fail to kiss a sim or whatever in x days, then your sim would develop a temporary quirk (much like the get famous ones) that would make your sim constantly sad or develop a habit that decreases relationship with those around them or something. The Sims 4 just needs to be harder and to include more unavoidable events that will completely change your sims' lives.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I dont use whims
    I used to, but they get boring. If they added more, and they were based on traits as well as or instead of mood, then I would use them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    There actually are base game whims based on traits and aspiration. They just hardly ever show because they are owerpowered by silly whims. It needs a lot of fine tuning to get the balance between whims right. Also, the balance shifts with every new set of whims added.

Every time I play the game, I at least tweak one thing in my whimoverhaul mod.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I want them to add more whims for all the packs and updates.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I use whims occasionally, but I wish they were updated with more pack specific features. They feel a tad repetative, and they get boring after a while plaing the same sim. I like how they reflect the sim's personality, a system I think coul be expanded on with say skills and likes/dislikes. To me the new Scenario thing sounds like a huge Whim, and I would like Scenarios more if they were integrated with the (improved) Whims, rather than added as a separate thing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg