To read the January 21st Inside Maxis Sims 411 Recap, click here
January 21st- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,641 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    Not quite true but in your case having an 2060 RTX is not the culprit. However for those that use an high end CPU with an low end or even mid range it can as you want the GPU and CPU to run smoothly to avoid bottlenecking also in some cases try not to run an lot apps in background as those apps still use resources unless you have an whole lot of RAM like you do in your case.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 32 GB AMD 590 8 GB
    HP Proliant Server 8 GB Fujitsu Server 8 GB MS 2016 Essentials
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,641 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    I think it's partly luck. So many different things cause it. I don't have simulation lag (i9, 2080 Ti), and my save is huge and several years old... I also don't have this latest pack, but I want it and intend to get it once they sort out some of the bugs.

    ETA: I have a ton of mods too, but I think they help identify/fix errors (MCCC and SimInfo are helpful at least).

    It may be luck, but that doesn't take away from what I'm saying. My computer is well above what should run the Sims 4 smoothly. If an i9 and a 2080ti are required for a lag-free experience (and at least one person in this thread with a more powerful computer also has lag), it's still a issue. How is Sims 4 going to continue to run for most people adding pack upon pack when it currently has simulation lag for many, many players.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've got the NVidia 2080 Super too on an Omen games laptop. NVidia runs the game at 144 fps but I don't run much at speed 3 in the game as I like the slow speeds best so probably don't suffer much lag. I've never used mods or CC at all though. Do you allow NVidia to optimise your game?
    It's not the graphics card. But out of curiosity, do you think an nvidia 2080 super is required to run the game without simulation lag?

    And the high-speed clock jumping back is the super speed when sleeping/no one on the lot.

    I believe you are fine with your video card and I have none as I go between an 2070 RTX and 2070 Super RTX and I do not get lag but I also keep my jobs in the background at the minimum even though I have 32 Gig of Ram. I would have thought Sims 4 should have less lag as it not an game that scales up or down to what you system have but on the same token your main components should still complement each other.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 32 GB AMD 590 8 GB
    HP Proliant Server 8 GB Fujitsu Server 8 GB MS 2016 Essentials
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 107 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    I think it's partly luck. So many different things cause it. I don't have simulation lag (i9, 2080 Ti), and my save is huge and several years old... I also don't have this latest pack, but I want it and intend to get it once they sort out some of the bugs.

    ETA: I have a ton of mods too, but I think they help identify/fix errors (MCCC and SimInfo are helpful at least).

    It may be luck, but that doesn't take away from what I'm saying. My computer is well above what should run the Sims 4 smoothly. If an i9 and a 2080ti are required for a lag-free experience (and at least one person in this thread with a more powerful computer also has lag), it's still a issue. How is Sims 4 going to continue to run for most people adding pack upon pack when it currently has simulation lag for many, many players.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've got the NVidia 2080 Super too on an Omen games laptop. NVidia runs the game at 144 fps but I don't run much at speed 3 in the game as I like the slow speeds best so probably don't suffer much lag. I've never used mods or CC at all though. Do you allow NVidia to optimise your game?
    It's not the graphics card. But out of curiosity, do you think an nvidia 2080 super is required to run the game without simulation lag?

    And the high-speed clock jumping back is the super speed when sleeping/no one on the lot.

    I believe you are fine with your video card and I have none as I go between an 2070 RTX and 2070 Super RTX and I do not get lag but I also keep my jobs in the background at the minimum even though I have 32 Gig of Ram. I would have thought Sims 4 should have less lag as it not an game that scales up or down to what you system have but on the same token your main components should still complement each other.

    About the lag I just want to mention: I really suggest NOT EVER touching the 3x speed. It doesn't work. And it can be a source of simulation lag. Mostly for me I notice it greatly messes up my clock and time reverts or barely moves. When my sims go to sleep I hit 2x speed asap. 2x speed is fine, but even with my i9 2070 super 32gb computer (origin offline, no other apps running) the game itself just cannot handle the speed.

    After I started avoiding 3x speed like the plague, I haven't noticed really any simulation lag at all. Sometimes my sims will drop things from their queue if I play another sim for a few minutes, but I don't get any lag. Just sims doing that thing where they stop what they're doing for 5 seconds to admire the room and get a mood buff.

    Sometimes I run into problems on large community lots, but I think that's more to do with non-simulation lag reasons (it happens on my cafe lots with the baristas, I think there's been a bug with them for a long time... They take forever to get behind the counter. Sometimes a second one will show up). But yeah all of my lag and clock problems were basically solved once I stopped using 3x speed altogether. I hope it can help someone else too!
  • aislingaisling Posts: 6 New Member
    > @Felicity said:
    > It may be luck, but that doesn't take away from what I'm saying. My computer is well above what should run the Sims 4 smoothly. If an i9 and a 2080ti are required for a lag-free experience (and at least one person in this thread with a more powerful computer also has lag), it's still a issue. How is Sims 4 going to continue to run for most people adding pack upon pack when it currently has simulation lag for many, many players.
    >
    > It's not the graphics card. But out of curiosity, do you think an nvidia 2080 super is required to run the game without simulation lag?
    >
    > And the high-speed clock jumping back is the super speed when sleeping/no one on the lot.

    But I also experience what you do and have a 2080 and i9... soooo
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,919 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    Not quite true but in your case having an 2060 RTX is not the culprit. However for those that use an high end CPU with an low end or even mid range it can as you want the GPU and CPU to run smoothly to avoid bottlenecking also in some cases try not to run an lot apps in background as those apps still use resources unless you have an whole lot of RAM like you do in your case.

    It is generally true. There are different types of lag -- graphic skips, screen tearing, framerate drops, slow loading of textures are also lag, but simulation lag would generally would have the bottleneck at the CPU or RAM.

    Believe it or not I'm not complaining about this and I have checked to see if it could be anything BUT the game (it's not). The game is definitely playable. When the sims stop reacting, it's time to pause the game for 10 seconds or so. When the lot is sleeping or empty, I know the clock is going to jump back because it can't keep up with itself. When b/b slows to a crawl, hit the ellipse and erase the notices. At this time, I can get around it, but still, it's a concern. And it has gotten worse over time, though there have been patches that have brought improvements, but as everything sims, it gets worse again. But if they really are planning on keeping this game going for years to come, it needs to be addressed.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,641 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    Not quite true but in your case having an 2060 RTX is not the culprit. However for those that use an high end CPU with an low end or even mid range it can as you want the GPU and CPU to run smoothly to avoid bottlenecking also in some cases try not to run an lot apps in background as those apps still use resources unless you have an whole lot of RAM like you do in your case.

    It is generally true. There are different types of lag -- graphic skips, screen tearing, framerate drops, slow loading of textures are also lag, but simulation lag would generally would have the bottleneck at the CPU or RAM.

    Believe it or not I'm not complaining about this and I have checked to see if it could be anything BUT the game (it's not). The game is definitely playable. When the sims stop reacting, it's time to pause the game for 10 seconds or so. When the lot is sleeping or empty, I know the clock is going to jump back because it can't keep up with itself. When b/b slows to a crawl, hit the ellipse and erase the notices. At this time, I can get around it, but still, it's a concern. And it has gotten worse over time, though there have been patches that have brought improvements, but as everything sims, it gets worse again. But if they really are planning on keeping this game going for years to come, it needs to be addressed.

    Bottleneck can happen as well with GPU as well.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 32 GB AMD 590 8 GB
    HP Proliant Server 8 GB Fujitsu Server 8 GB MS 2016 Essentials
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 83 Member
    There are game changers with extremely high end computers and I've seen them experience massive frame rate drops. It's definitely the game and not the specs. As long as you're meeting them that is. Which it sounds like all of you are. They need to start fixing the game engine instead of putting out patch after patch and pack after pack.
  • NausNaus Posts: 395 Member
    I'm pretty sure The Sims 4 was never designed to support anything but normal simulation speed. Remember it was supposed to be an online MMO-type game, and those games don't have a way to speed up the simulation since everything happens in real-time. So the simulation lag that using this speed creates is the result of it probably not being supported at an engine level.

    The Sims 4 simulation doesn't really work like previous Sims games. In previous games, the clock would ALWAYS be connected to the speed of the simulation. If the game was lagging, the clock would tick slower or freeze. The Sims 4 doesn't work like that. The clock is always ticking at a constant speed regardless of how fast or slow the simulation is going. When you use ultra speed, the clock will tick at the pre-programmed ultra speed, even if the simulation is not able to go at that speed. This create EXTREMELY weird situations that don't happen in other games, like time going backwards, Sims idle for hours (as those hours are just the clock moving, not really the simulation doing anything).

    That's why it's best to avoid using anything but normal speed (except when your sims are sleeping). I have tried it myself and it seems to reduce simulation lag considerably. But it's really hard for long time players because we're really used to switching from 1 to 3 and 3 to 1 while playing.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,919 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    Not quite true but in your case having an 2060 RTX is not the culprit. However for those that use an high end CPU with an low end or even mid range it can as you want the GPU and CPU to run smoothly to avoid bottlenecking also in some cases try not to run an lot apps in background as those apps still use resources unless you have an whole lot of RAM like you do in your case.

    It is generally true. There are different types of lag -- graphic skips, screen tearing, framerate drops, slow loading of textures are also lag, but simulation lag would generally would have the bottleneck at the CPU or RAM.

    Believe it or not I'm not complaining about this and I have checked to see if it could be anything BUT the game (it's not). The game is definitely playable. When the sims stop reacting, it's time to pause the game for 10 seconds or so. When the lot is sleeping or empty, I know the clock is going to jump back because it can't keep up with itself. When b/b slows to a crawl, hit the ellipse and erase the notices. At this time, I can get around it, but still, it's a concern. And it has gotten worse over time, though there have been patches that have brought improvements, but as everything sims, it gets worse again. But if they really are planning on keeping this game going for years to come, it needs to be addressed.

    Bottleneck can happen as well with GPU as well.

    Absolutely. But I'm talking about simulation lag only. I have no graphical lag of any kind in the Sims 4. And while there are programs that use graphics cards for calculations because it's so much faster than the CPU/RAM, I don't believe Sims 4 does. I'm not saying that sims 4 cannot have graphical lag. Of course it can. But the graphics card is not what is being hung up when the AI lags behind and the sims just stand there.

  • CK213CK213 Posts: 19,563 Member
    Hoo boy, I just performed my 4th gig.
    Despite my criticisms, I have been enjoying this pack and trying to get inventive with it.

    But this 4th gig...
    They did not like Mission Style nor Mid-Century. That's a large bulk of content in The Sims 4.
    The other styles are similar, and I think might even cross other styles.

    I settled for Queen Anne, but I wasn't feeling it at all compared to the past 3 renovations.
    I simply deleted the mission style furniture they had, put a purple couch and rug in the living room,
    some Queen Anne counters, cabinetry, and book cases for the entertainment center, and left the rest of the level alone.

    They loved it. Don Lothario no longer has a bedroom though. I didn't bother to put any furniture back.
    Glad I didn't spend time on it. Easy money.
    Hogwarts_siggies_big.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,521 Member
    I was planning to buy it in a sale just for the CAS items but I've since come to the realization that the game is actually awful gameplay wise in live mode. The new career is a complete joke, nothing seems to matter or mean anything, they will even like poop in their rooms, they will like it if you steal all their stuff, it makes no sense.

    The Likes & Dislikes system is meaningless. Sims will dance to music that makes them angry, they won't choose to play their favourite music, they won't autonomously do their favourite activities, the autonomy is honestly just atrocious.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    lexibee wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    I think it's partly luck. So many different things cause it. I don't have simulation lag (i9, 2080 Ti), and my save is huge and several years old... I also don't have this latest pack, but I want it and intend to get it once they sort out some of the bugs.

    ETA: I have a ton of mods too, but I think they help identify/fix errors (MCCC and SimInfo are helpful at least).

    It may be luck, but that doesn't take away from what I'm saying. My computer is well above what should run the Sims 4 smoothly. If an i9 and a 2080ti are required for a lag-free experience (and at least one person in this thread with a more powerful computer also has lag), it's still a issue. How is Sims 4 going to continue to run for most people adding pack upon pack when it currently has simulation lag for many, many players.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've got the NVidia 2080 Super too on an Omen games laptop. NVidia runs the game at 144 fps but I don't run much at speed 3 in the game as I like the slow speeds best so probably don't suffer much lag. I've never used mods or CC at all though. Do you allow NVidia to optimise your game?
    It's not the graphics card. But out of curiosity, do you think an nvidia 2080 super is required to run the game without simulation lag?

    And the high-speed clock jumping back is the super speed when sleeping/no one on the lot.

    I believe you are fine with your video card and I have none as I go between an 2070 RTX and 2070 Super RTX and I do not get lag but I also keep my jobs in the background at the minimum even though I have 32 Gig of Ram. I would have thought Sims 4 should have less lag as it not an game that scales up or down to what you system have but on the same token your main components should still complement each other.

    About the lag I just want to mention: I really suggest NOT EVER touching the 3x speed. It doesn't work. And it can be a source of simulation lag. Mostly for me I notice it greatly messes up my clock and time reverts or barely moves. When my sims go to sleep I hit 2x speed asap. 2x speed is fine, but even with my i9 2070 super 32gb computer (origin offline, no other apps running) the game itself just cannot handle the speed.

    After I started avoiding 3x speed like the plague, I haven't noticed really any simulation lag at all. Sometimes my sims will drop things from their queue if I play another sim for a few minutes, but I don't get any lag. Just sims doing that thing where they stop what they're doing for 5 seconds to admire the room and get a mood buff.

    Sometimes I run into problems on large community lots, but I think that's more to do with non-simulation lag reasons (it happens on my cafe lots with the baristas, I think there's been a bug with them for a long time... They take forever to get behind the counter. Sometimes a second one will show up). But yeah all of my lag and clock problems were basically solved once I stopped using 3x speed altogether. I hope it can help someone else too!

    Hmm... how strange. I mainly play on 3x speed and never had any issue with it and my pc doesn't have as much ram as some of you do, nor does it have the latest graphic card. Not to jinx it, but so far I've never had this simulation lag happening to me.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    After the SimCity nightmare they didn't want a repeat with Sims 4 but the engine was already built for a MMO so they did a major patch job and prayed it would work. They should have delayed Sims 4 and built the correct engine. As they keep dumping more stuff on the wrong engine the game will seize to work at all but they got our money.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,714 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    lexibee wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are people who don't have simulation lag. I get a few different kinds. I get the one where on fast forward, the clock will jump back. I get the one where I have to hit pause because if I don't, my sims will stand around doing nothing until the calculations catch up. I also get the one that going into b/b mode I get a massive slowdown which is fixed by hitting the ellipse. I have a lot of other bugs as well, but the simulation lag to me is the most worrying. How is the game going to be able to handle more when it struggles running what it already has?

    I don't think it's my CPU -- I have a 10th generation i7. I do not believe that Sims 4 requires an i9. I also have 32GB of RAM, so I'm not running out of memory. So there's something else going on.

    I also have run into both bugs and things that I consider bad design which aren't bugs, but really are obnoxious.

    I haven't gotten this pack. I've watched a few Lets Plays from Gamechangers who like it and ones who don't and tbh, it just looks boring to me. I really wanted to give Sims 4 a chance now that they've added in likes and dislikes, but even those do not make up for what I consider the flaws in the core gameplay.

    You don't say what video card you have.

    The video card shouldn't matter when it comes to simulation lag, but it's a 2060 rtx, which can more than handle most games.

    I think it's partly luck. So many different things cause it. I don't have simulation lag (i9, 2080 Ti), and my save is huge and several years old... I also don't have this latest pack, but I want it and intend to get it once they sort out some of the bugs.

    ETA: I have a ton of mods too, but I think they help identify/fix errors (MCCC and SimInfo are helpful at least).

    It may be luck, but that doesn't take away from what I'm saying. My computer is well above what should run the Sims 4 smoothly. If an i9 and a 2080ti are required for a lag-free experience (and at least one person in this thread with a more powerful computer also has lag), it's still a issue. How is Sims 4 going to continue to run for most people adding pack upon pack when it currently has simulation lag for many, many players.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've got the NVidia 2080 Super too on an Omen games laptop. NVidia runs the game at 144 fps but I don't run much at speed 3 in the game as I like the slow speeds best so probably don't suffer much lag. I've never used mods or CC at all though. Do you allow NVidia to optimise your game?
    It's not the graphics card. But out of curiosity, do you think an nvidia 2080 super is required to run the game without simulation lag?

    And the high-speed clock jumping back is the super speed when sleeping/no one on the lot.

    I believe you are fine with your video card and I have none as I go between an 2070 RTX and 2070 Super RTX and I do not get lag but I also keep my jobs in the background at the minimum even though I have 32 Gig of Ram. I would have thought Sims 4 should have less lag as it not an game that scales up or down to what you system have but on the same token your main components should still complement each other.

    About the lag I just want to mention: I really suggest NOT EVER touching the 3x speed. It doesn't work. And it can be a source of simulation lag. Mostly for me I notice it greatly messes up my clock and time reverts or barely moves. When my sims go to sleep I hit 2x speed asap. 2x speed is fine, but even with my i9 2070 super 32gb computer (origin offline, no other apps running) the game itself just cannot handle the speed.

    After I started avoiding 3x speed like the plague, I haven't noticed really any simulation lag at all. Sometimes my sims will drop things from their queue if I play another sim for a few minutes, but I don't get any lag. Just sims doing that thing where they stop what they're doing for 5 seconds to admire the room and get a mood buff.

    Sometimes I run into problems on large community lots, but I think that's more to do with non-simulation lag reasons (it happens on my cafe lots with the baristas, I think there's been a bug with them for a long time... They take forever to get behind the counter. Sometimes a second one will show up). But yeah all of my lag and clock problems were basically solved once I stopped using 3x speed altogether. I hope it can help someone else too!

    Hmm... how strange. I mainly play on 3x speed and never had any issue with it and my pc doesn't have as much ram as some of you do, nor does it have the latest graphic card. Not to jinx it, but so far I've never had this simulation lag happening to me.

    Whenever I get a new computer I immediately go into Settings and turn off everything that Microsoft thinks I need and I don't and that includes their borrowing internet bandwidth from me to facilitate other's Updating Windows 10 downloads and constant updating of OneDrive, which might include Sims 4 with it. I cut that out for a start and removed Sims4 from the Documents updating. If you have a poor internet service that'll drag things down.

    All those background tasks take a toll on games and there used to be handy apps like razer game booster to sort them out. I think they do one for Windows 10 still but I don't use it. That's why I allow NVidia to optimise my settings and always update my video card when offered.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,103 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Well, it seems that blaming the victims is a thing now 🤦‍♀️ because ofc there are no bugs in sims 4, we're lying.

    Perhaps reading Crin’s 2-part tweet in full, without cherry picking the bits out of context that suit a certain narrative, would put her comments (which I support 100%) in perspective. Here it is in full:

    I really wonder why people keep lying about removing their mods. Did they really do it but not properly or is everyone just too lazy to do it and think it's ok if I just say I did.

    There's lots of Mod issues with DHD and it takes a lot of effort to find out cause people ticked they removed their mods or insist they tried without when asked .

    There's nothing bad in using mods. We all love them and our modders but we don't need to burden EA with mod issues when they have plenty of real issues to fix.


    Everything she says is 100% accurate and I speak from experience as a fellow helper at Answers HQ. We love helping people get back into their game but when people say they have removed their mods, when they haven’t, or have never used them, when they actively are, it slows down the helping process for them, us, EA and anyone else reading the threads looking for help.

    Of course this does not apply to those who mistakenly think they have tried a vanilla game in the troubleshooting process, I think we’ve all been there at some point. It is as a frustrated response to some who say they have tried a vanilla game, or at least removed their mods, when they deliberately haven’t.
    apple-signature.png
  • NausNaus Posts: 395 Member
    edited June 2021
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    Hmm... how strange. I mainly play on 3x speed and never had any issue with it and my pc doesn't have as much ram as some of you do, nor does it have the latest graphic card. Not to jinx it, but so far I've never had this simulation lag happening to me.

    Yeah, I don't buy it. Sorry. I've played The Sims 4 on 5 different systems, 2 of them HIGH END systems, 2 mid-range systems and 1 low end system and there's simulation lag in all of them. Simulation lag is inescapable.

    In fact, it is DEMOSTRABLY built into the engine and the way the game handles animation nodes (posture graph nodes) for multitasking, as Simmy The Sim's research shows:
    if not any((_in_var_map(child, var_map) for child in body_target.parenting_hierarchy_gen())) and not destination_autonomous_availability_test(sim, body_target_obj, interaction)
    
    It seems that the function "parenting_hierarchy_gen" is the function that returns the current object's parts. Parts are basically spots on an object sims can do stuff with. Like for example, where to sit on the object, where to place the objects on the table...

    It only takes about a millisecond to complete, but it's called thousands of times per second on Speed 3.
    ...
    Calculating exactly how far away the animation nodes from the sim is too time-consuming. There are thousands of them, so performing a full distance estimate for each of them every second is too expensive.
    ...
    What the game does currently, is check if an animation matches what the sim wants to do, the sim checks all of the possible animations at all the objects they can be done, checks if they're valid, and then searches for ways to get there to check for the most natural-looking animation transitions.

    For example, if a sim wanted to sit, they'd check all sittable objects on the lot, evaluate each of those seats if they can be actually sat on, and then calculate the most appropriate animations for the sim to use.
    ...
    The most time-wasting part of the in-game implementation IMO is that sims will still search the whole lot for objects to use even if there's already one in front of them!

    This is most noticeable and most laggy when sims switch seats when chatting. Even though there are chairs nearby, they'll still search the entire lot for compatible sitting objects.
    ...
    TS3 and TS4 are similar when sims need somewhere to go when they don't have a specific object in mind. They get all objects, iterate over them, and pick the one that makes the most sense.

    The problem here is that since The Sims 4 has multitasking, so sims can now do multiple variations of the same interaction at an object. If I wanted to eat in The Sims 3, I'd just check sittable objects, test for compatibility, and be done with it.

    The Sims 4 has more stuff to calculate, instead of only calculating over the whole sittable object list, it calculated over the whole sittable positions list.

    This may sound pretty similar, but each sofa has 3 sittable positions, and hot tubs have six sittable seats, with beds also having four sit positions.

    Since sims can now talk while sitting down, the game now has to calculate for each sittable position vs each sittable object.

    This means that instead of just one part to check, you get three parts to check for each sofa because of multitasking.

    That's not all though, since sims can now carry and put stuff down on the table, the game also has tl create a separate interaction for those. There's an interaction for sitting with nothing in the hand or the table, one for sitting with something on the table but nothing in the hand, something in the hand but nothing in the table, and for something both in the hand and on the table.

    You get 4x interactions to check. But remember that we now check for each sittable position, and not each object now? And sofas have 3 sittable positions while beds have 4?

    This means that for a sofa, for just sitting down, the game now has to calculate 12 interactions in The Sims 4, versus one in The Sims 3.

    So basically, just for chairs, there are now so many much more interactions because of all the ways sims can hold things, put things on tables, and where the heck to sit in the first place.

    So let's lay this demostrably false "it doesn't happen to me" claim to rest. Lag is built into the game's engine. It may be less noticeable for some under certain circumstances (according to Simmy the Sim's research, using fewer objects with sitting positions in a lot can help), but it's impossible to fix completely.

    Simmy tried really hard to optimize it, but there were so many poorly coded areas, it was really hard to find a way to fix it.

    I leave this other tidbit, just so people see how poorly optimized and coded the game is:
    The most time-consuming action after my optimizations now is.... sims leaving the lot. Seriously, sims just leaving the lot, even if they're just joggers on the street thar don't visit the current lot, the game has to calculate all standable or sittable positions before making a decision!!

    If 10 sims left the lot at the same time, the game would lag by 40 sim minutes immediately!!!

    Some smart person at EA decided that instead of searching how to get from how the sim is currently standing or sitting, or sitting in the hot tub or whatever, to leaving the lot; they instead designed it so that it's the other way around!

    THE GAME FRICKING CHECKS ALL SITTABLE AND STANDABLE POSITIONS JUST TO DETERMINE WHICH ANIMATIONS LOOK NATURAL TO DO!!!! THEY DO THIS EVERY TIME A SIM LEAVES THE LOT!!!!

    What's terrible is that for each animation type, it checks all the places sims can do that animation, just to leave the lot! A sofa has three positions, like I said earlier, A chair has one, and a bed has 4. Sittable positions are basically markers where sims can sit.

    The game does this!!! BECAUSE OF FRICKING MULTITASKING!!!!!

    Also here's why there's no multitasking while using swingsets, lounge chairs and relaxing on a bed (at the time of Simmy's research, there were no such objects):
    Oh, and yeah, the animations. If sims need to stand or sit differently than normal, then it would be a lot harder than in previous games. Which is why we don't have swingsets or lounge chairs, because of friggin multitasking needing animations for everything. It's probably why we don't have a lot of interactions other than talking IMO.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 193 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    Hmm... how strange. I mainly play on 3x speed and never had any issue with it and my pc doesn't have as much ram as some of you do, nor does it have the latest graphic card. Not to jinx it, but so far I've never had this simulation lag happening to me.

    Yeah, I don't buy it. Sorry. I've played The Sims 4 on 5 different systems, 2 of them HIGH END systems, 2 mid-range systems and 1 low end system and there's simulation lag in all of them. Simulation lag is inescapable.

    In fact, it is DEMOSTRABLY built into the engine and the way the game handles animation nodes (posture graph nodes) for multitasking, as Simmy The Sim's research shows:
    if not any((_in_var_map(child, var_map) for child in body_target.parenting_hierarchy_gen())) and not destination_autonomous_availability_test(sim, body_target_obj, interaction)
    
    It seems that the function "parenting_hierarchy_gen" is the function that returns the current object's parts. Parts are basically spots on an object sims can do stuff with. Like for example, where to sit on the object, where to place the objects on the table...

    It only takes about a millisecond to complete, but it's called thousands of times per second on Speed 3.
    ...
    Calculating exactly how far away the animation nodes from the sim is too time-consuming. There are thousands of them, so performing a full distance estimate for each of them every second is too expensive.
    ...
    What the game does currently, is check if an animation matches what the sim wants to do, the sim checks all of the possible animations at all the objects they can be done, checks if they're valid, and then searches for ways to get there to check for the most natural-looking animation transitions.

    For example, if a sim wanted to sit, they'd check all sittable objects on the lot, evaluate each of those seats if they can be actually sat on, and then calculate the most appropriate animations for the sim to use.
    ...
    The most time-wasting part of the in-game implementation IMO is that sims will still search the whole lot for objects to use even if there's already one in front of them!

    This is most noticeable and most laggy when sims switch seats when chatting. Even though there are chairs nearby, they'll still search the entire lot for compatible sitting objects.
    ...
    TS3 and TS4 are similar when sims need somewhere to go when they don't have a specific object in mind. They get all objects, iterate over them, and pick the one that makes the most sense.

    The problem here is that since The Sims 4 has multitasking, so sims can now do multiple variations of the same interaction at an object. If I wanted to eat in The Sims 3, I'd just check sittable objects, test for compatibility, and be done with it.

    The Sims 4 has more stuff to calculate, instead of only calculating over the whole sittable object list, it calculated over the whole sittable positions list.

    This may sound pretty similar, but each sofa has 3 sittable positions, and hot tubs have six sittable seats, with beds also having four sit positions.

    Since sims can now talk while sitting down, the game now has to calculate for each sittable position vs each sittable object.

    This means that instead of just one part to check, you get three parts to check for each sofa because of multitasking.

    That's not all though, since sims can now carry and put stuff down on the table, the game also has tl create a separate interaction for those. There's an interaction for sitting with nothing in the hand or the table, one for sitting with something on the table but nothing in the hand, something in the hand but nothing in the table, and for something both in the hand and on the table.

    You get 4x interactions to check. But remember that we now check for each sittable position, and not each object now? And sofas have 3 sittable positions while beds have 4?

    This means that for a sofa, for just sitting down, the game now has to calculate 12 interactions in The Sims 4, versus one in The Sims 3.

    So basically, just for chairs, there are now so many much more interactions because of all the ways sims can hold things, put things on tables, and where the heck to sit in the first place.

    So let's lay this demostrably false "it doesn't happen to me" claim to rest. Lag is built into the game's engine. It may be less noticeable for some under certain circumstances (according to Simmy the Sim's research, using fewer objects with sitting positions in a lot can help), but it's impossible to fix completely.

    Simmy tried really hard to optimize it, but there were so many poorly coded areas, it was really hard to find a way to fix it.

    I leave this other tidbit, just so people see how poorly optimized and coded the game is:
    The most time-consuming action after my optimizations now is.... sims leaving the lot. Seriously, sims just leaving the lot, even if they're just joggers on the street thar don't visit the current lot, the game has to calculate all standable or sittable positions before making a decision!!

    If 10 sims left the lot at the same time, the game would lag by 40 sim minutes immediately!!!

    Some smart person at EA decided that instead of searching how to get from how the sim is currently standing or sitting, or sitting in the hot tub or whatever, to leaving the lot; they instead designed it so that it's the other way around!

    THE GAME FRICKING CHECKS ALL SITTABLE AND STANDABLE POSITIONS JUST TO DETERMINE WHICH ANIMATIONS LOOK NATURAL TO DO!!!! THEY DO THIS EVERY TIME A SIM LEAVES THE LOT!!!!

    What's terrible is that for each animation type, it checks all the places sims can do that animation, just to leave the lot! A sofa has three positions, like I said earlier, A chair has one, and a bed has 4. Sittable positions are basically markers where sims can sit.

    The game does this!!! BECAUSE OF FRICKING MULTITASKING!!!!!

    Also here's why there's no multitasking while using swingsets, lounge chairs and relaxing on a bed (at the time of Simmy's research, there were no such objects):
    Oh, and yeah, the animations. If sims need to stand or sit differently than normal, then it would be a lot harder than in previous games. Which is why we don't have swingsets or lounge chairs, because of friggin multitasking needing animations for everything. It's probably why we don't have a lot of interactions other than talking IMO.

    So the one thing that I really prefer in TS4 is coded in a way that chews through CPU cycles? That makes me not happy.
  • NausNaus Posts: 395 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    So the one thing that I really prefer in TS4 is coded in a way that chews through CPU cycles? That makes me not happy.

    Yes. Multitasking lacks any sort of optimization. But it's not the only thing that's poorly coded. According to Simmy the Sim, the AI is very wasteful as well:
    There are hundreds of interactions being tested every time a sim needs to do ai.

    This is insanely wasteful and often leads to potential valid interactions in the single digits.

    The Sims 3 worked completely different. Each object class had an "advertisement score" and the AI was VERY efficient:
    I think I'll take some inspiration from the Sims 3 again and only pick one object, get its score and only score interactions on that object. I'll have to manually add object scores to the code, though the benefits will be worth it!

    Then when I query fun items and have a ten tvs, stereos, and arcade machines each, I can just look at the precalculated advertisements from the object level and pick an interaction from there.

    So basically we've gone from calculating the score of 30 entertainment gadgets, to one.

    This is how TS3 did its open world ai, pick a lot, then an object then an interaction, unlike TS4, which is for each object, check all objects that satisfy needs, then check for all interactions that satisfy a need on each object.

    The Sims 4 for some bizarre reason wastes precious CPU cycles checking on every object, every interaction possible and every animation node possible. It's such a WASTEFUL way of coding something.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    @Naus Yeah, thank you for calling me a liar. Have a nice day listening to your own voice, because I for one have lost all interest talking to you. The nerve! As if I have any reason to lie about such trivial things like game bugs or the lack of those.
  • rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 89 Member
    I am also disappointed with the options for decor style likes and dislikes included with the new pack. There are five different ways to say you like modern decor: modern/contemporary/cosmolux/mid-century/suburban contemporary (whatever that is), which take up a lot of slots for sims who I would like to mark as preferring a modern style, but no categories at all for several styles WE HAVE IN THE GAME! Where is the preference for industrial decor? Or how about art deco? Craftsman? Eastern traditional? I mean, we just got an entire pack about that last one. Please, sim gurus, if you are reading this forum, go back and create categories for all the styles your furniture art team has developed in the past, both as bb tags and as likes/dislikes. Under the current system, the interior decorator career encourages the player to simply makeover the entire world in the contemporary styles that came with the pack, which is actually antithetical to the artistry of interior decoration as a careful selection process from a variety of unique styles for what suits each home best. Unless you collapse modern back into the one category it should be and replace its redundancies with the other decor styles that exist in game but have been sidelined by the pack, half the beautiful furniture your art team has made will languish, forgotten, unasked-for, and untagged, in the bb catalogue while the worlds get ever more uniform and bland.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,641 Member
    After the SimCity nightmare they didn't want a repeat with Sims 4 but the engine was already built for a MMO so they did a major patch job and prayed it would work. They should have delayed Sims 4 and built the correct engine. As they keep dumping more stuff on the wrong engine the game will seize to work at all but they got our money.

    Sure enough!
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 32 GB AMD 590 8 GB
    HP Proliant Server 8 GB Fujitsu Server 8 GB MS 2016 Essentials
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,332 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    eeDAqpv.png

    I'm checking out CAS at the moment, most of it is pretty underwhelming if I'm honest. I love the design of these heels though, but why on earth do they look so deformed and weird? Resizing the feet don't help either, in fact, I think it looks worse.

    Seriously devs, please fix this in the next upcoming patch, because these heels look awful in this state.


    I think those shoes would have looked lovely with a normal barrette, without the thing between the toes. And maybe a slightly lower heel.

    I actually like the toe thong, rather than a barrette, or buckle. It strikes me as a more modern style.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Actually thinking about it, some other options they could’ve added would be the ability to make your own swatches for furniture etc. Plus thirft shops, doing up old/broken furniture and haggling prices and partial payment if the client wasn’t overjoyed by the makeover but okay about it. I don’t understand not getting paid at all.

    I think we should have had the idea to add our own swatches too….. this would have been a good pack to add a sewing machine with create a style….. maybe we will get such a thing in a farming pack……,I have been hoping for that since what they did for cats and dogs. I also liked your idea of a thrift shop or even just fixing up old broken furniture…. That would have given a ton of gameplay. I don’t however like the idea of not getting paid, a worse reputation still works better.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    I honestly cannot believe they're selling THIS for $20. Other than the modular objects, what else is there to the pack?

    A few new animations (like 4 in total), a basic UI, a reskinned gig system from Get Famous... What else?

    If it had a 5-10 lot world, it would make up for the lack of gameplay, but THIS? It's just sad at this point. I can't believe some people will actually pay $20 for almost NOTHING new, other than some modular BB objects and a super buggy career.

    This is a new low, in my opinion. After selling GPs with an EP price tag (Island Living, Eco Lifestyle, etc), now they're selling SPs with a GP price tag. It's just unbelievable.

    I would have liked a world with it too, but there was a lot of Buy stuff in it and well worth the price for me because of that. I love the modular customizable wall units, a very nice unexpected surprise to me. The bugs in the career however that others are talking about is inexcusable, the should fix those right away.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I would rather vacuum up dust bunnies than play this pack....more gameplay with the vacuum cleaner!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top