Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2021
    I love to build, but building to me is creating the setting, the stage, in which game play takes place.
    At most building is a toy, like Tinker Toys and Legos. The game itself is the toy and this pack is just more Legos added to the bin with just enough game play for mass appeal.

Game play to me is the growth, development, relationships, and goals of your sim.
    It's the simulation. It's the story played out.

[Edit]
    ...and @LeGardePourpre has already said it. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »
    Another personal disappointment for me was how the likes and dislikes seem to be assigned completely randomly. Maaike liked programming, when she should have liked writing. One of the Tinkers didn't like handiness. Canon likes and dislikes should have been assigned to the premades, especially since we can easily change them if we want.

This is the result of traits not doing much in The Sims 4. The Sims 3 didn't need a favorite activity/skill because it was given by the traits (and it influenced autonomy waaaaay more too). It was all seamlessly integrated in the extremely complex Autonomy class. When you start with such a weak foundation, there's not much you can do.

I feel like The Sims Team keeps adding systems on top of systems instead of actually fixing the CORE issues: emotions and traits.

YES!!! EXACTLY!!
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    EdithV wrote: »
    SimSpock wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    The modular furniture was the only thing attracting me to this pack (whenever it goes 50% off) but did you see how sensitive to the lighting they are? The swatches don’t look like they match if one is slightly less lit than the next. I’m not even interested at this point.

There's already a mod that fixes the lighting. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary. But it's available nonetheless.

Hopefully installing it won't delete your save files, or alter your family name, or cause your dogs to turn into cats, or whatever else it is that Maxis seems to think mods are doing that keeps them from figuring out and fixing their own mistakes.

What is the mod that fixes the lighting please? I can’t find it sorry

Here's a link to it on MTS:

https://modthesims.info/d/656841/sectionals-sofas-override-fix-for-the-light-issue.html

Thanks so much!
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited June 2021
    This C.A.S. Is my least favorite part... Juvenile, sleeves on the hand slightly, wide bra strap showing, hardly any plain/no patterns. I.K. Other simmers may love the C.A.S. And that's O.K. To me, our games do not conflict with each other.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Don't go by dictionary definitions. Go by how EA defines the different packs.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs.

"Medium-sized packs that add new experiences to play in new thematic ways."

I'm not sure this pack adds either. Even the furniture theme isn't new. Decorating is not a new way to play.

yes yes yes
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Well said and I agree, I am seeing EA/Maxis giving less for more money and that is my opinion. However some support that by saying inflation affecting what EA/Maxis is doing and to some extent yes but they are pulling in an lot of dollars and the ones I see getting really hit by inflation is the customer. I do not believe in paying more for less and that is what is happening and let alone you have to beg someone to fix this game.

Idk, it's pretty overpriced in general compared to other games DLC imho.
    I feel like it is just very inconsistent, we get a really meaty SP (Paranormal) and then we get a rather thin GP, SPs in general have gotten better I feel, if I compare some of the older SPs with the new ones there is definately more to them.
    Yeah lets not even get started on the bugs and how long they take to fix em...it'll just frustrate me...
    CK213 wrote: »
    I love to build, but building to me is creating the setting, the stage, in which game play takes place.
    At most building is a toy, like Tinker Toys and Legos. The game itself is the toy and this pack is just more Legos added to the bin with just enough game play for mass appeal.

personally, I wouldn't even have minded the lag of livemode gameplay so much if they had at least gone full out on the "lego aspect" aka BB, which is still what disappoints me most....I was hoping they'd add more BB (and more variety in styles) compared to other GPs.
    Aaaaand I was expecting the new career to be more in depth, there isnt anything to do besides renovating, sure that should be the main part but not all of it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    edited June 2021
    By the way, I've found that uninstalling MC Command Center resolved nearly every issue except my decorator sim routing to a place it couldn't escape. I assume MC Command Center will get patched, but as of now it's up to date for the pre-release patch and not for DHD itself. I do, however to be having more routing issues than usual even in everyday life. Without the instant reset MC Command Center gives me I have to save, close, and restart the game, which is annoying. Is anyone else having that issue?
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Two things I've found while playing the career:
    1. You can get a room renovation job on a lot where there is no house.
    2. You can get a minus and 0 money even when the clients are all extatic and love what you did.

I am confused.
  • LoftyyLoftyy Posts: 101 Member
    For a "Dream Home" decorator pack, the items in it are extremely bland and lackluster
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    This pack has aged like milk. Spoiled and rotten after a week.
    With the bugs and glitches people are reporting, I wouldn’t touch this pack with a 10 foot pole.
    This is the second worst game pack they’ve released after Journey to Butt.
    Let’s hope this new pack throws DHD in the garbage where it belongs :D:D
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I really like the pack, but the game's bugs really need to be fixed.
  • scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    Well this has no game play, sad seeing it is supposed to be a game pack. It actually has less game play then the last few stuff packs. Unless you want to pay $20 for some of the build/buy stuff avoid this pack. It is lacking in every other area. Waste of money.
    I think one of the most confusing things with the career is that there is nothing you can do in between gigs to increase your skills in home decorating. So, basically you're just killing time between gigs, unless your Sim has some super exciting aspiration or hobby.

I also find the instructions from the hiring Sim when you arrive to a gig at best rudimentary. How am I suppose to decorate when all they do is tell me they hate skiing, singing and fishing? Where in any house build would I even think of putting a fishing hole? In the bathroom? Oh, no, they don't like skiing? Too bad, I'm putting a ski slope in the kitchen. Bahahah!
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    belpita wrote: »
    I think one of the most confusing things with the career is that there is nothing you can do in between gigs to increase your skills in home decorating. So, basically you're just killing time between gigs, unless your Sim has some super exciting aspiration or hobby.

I also find the instructions from the hiring Sim when you arrive to a gig at best rudimentary. How am I suppose to decorate when all they do is tell me they hate skiing, singing and fishing? Where in any house build would I even think of putting a fishing hole? In the bathroom? Oh, no, they don't like skiing? Too bad, I'm putting a ski slope in the kitchen. Bahahah!

Agreed. A new skill would be good or even aspiration to aim for.

I would be more interested if the gigs were clearer. Which room? Why would you hire someone just to let them choose what to renovate. 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Also there should be six slots in the client preferences. 3 likes and 3 dislikes. At least that would give you some clue. Having just three slots and then showing all dislikes is unhelpful.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    edited June 2021
    Since I do enjoy building and decoration, I've adapted this workaround:
    - I find the upcoming gig's lots in the game before the workday starts and inspect it.
    - If it's absolutely hideous to start with, I go into build mode and make some vital changes.

I literally scrapped one whole house and built a new one, because I realised that the gig's mission would be impossible the way EA had built the house. I also prepped another house, where there wasn't anywhere you could naturally add a room otherwise, which was that gig's mission.

But doing this basically defeats the whole purpose of the gameplay. :D So yeah, I bought a pack for some nice new module-style furniture.
    Post edited by belpita on
  • discoduck227discoduck227 Posts: 62 Member
    I just got the pack a few days ago and really started playing with it yesterday. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but the first gig I went to, my Sim never even got inside, the person that hired them just came out and fired them. The next gig, she did the job but the Sims came back, she got paid, they never even gave feedback or looked at the stuff. Third time (not the charm) she did the job, the clients came back and the main client walked around the house with her eyes covered like she was waiting to be surprised but never went upstairs to see the renovation and I couldn't get her to go up there, not even if I tried to control her. My Sim did get paid but it was very frustrating!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I was thinking this pack could've been cool if they added more of a fixer upper style gameplay, like you can buy old furniture that's complete trash and then gradually upgrade it by buying parts, materials, improving your handiness skill, etc. That could've been something that works with the career and gives you more every day gameplay as well. Also they could've added more ways for houses to get gross along the lines of bust the dust, like maybe you'll get a hole in the wall sometimes and your sim will have to fix it, or furniture could get damaged from things like cat scratches and your sims will have to fix it.

And then they could've linked these sorts of things with the career and added more live mode related career activities like cleaning up trash in the houses, dusting items, fixing up furniture, physically painting walls and patching up holes, etc. That would've made it more fun, reusable and in depth for me and would add a much needed second element which would make it actually be enough for a pack rather than just "here's a sectional sofa and a vague building guide and that's the whole pack! Off you go! :)"
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    @Onverser

Yes! That would have been a blast. You can already use the Filthy lot trait and I believe the Gremlins one to get rats/roaches and broken appliances.

It also could be used for regular gameplay too.

I recently downloaded a fixer-upper home from the gallery. The water stains and cracks in the wall are cool. But it would have been so much better if my sims could fix them up. They wouldn't even need a new skill as handiness would work just fine.

Oh, the possibilities.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I was thinking this pack could've been cool if they added more of a fixer upper style gameplay, like you can buy old furniture that's complete trash and then gradually upgrade it by buying parts, materials, improving your handiness skill, etc. That could've been something that works with the career and gives you more every day gameplay as well. Also they could've added more ways for houses to get gross along the lines of bust the dust, like maybe you'll get a hole in the wall sometimes and your sim will have to fix it, or furniture could get damaged from things like cat scratches and your sims will have to fix it.

And then they could've linked these sorts of things with the career and added more live mode related career activities like cleaning up trash in the houses, dusting items, fixing up furniture, physically painting walls and patching up holes, etc. That would've made it more fun, reusable and in depth for me and would add a much needed second element which would make it actually be enough for a pack rather than just "here's a sectional sofa and a vague building guide and that's the whole pack! Off you go! :)"

I'd like the "fixer upper" aspect too. It would actually be fun to fix a world with a bunch of rundown houses. Maybe they'll give us one and patch this in? Kind of like the CL apartments but they could be fixed.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Still liking the pack overall, but I have a few other complaints now, the modular sofas give my Sim an uncomfortable furniture moodlet, and the shelving disappears when the walls are down. It makes me not want to use those items. Kinda bummed about that.
    I finally got my first mission impossible: make some sort of extra build on the lot for the inlaws. With a budget of 1250 simoleons. I could literally only plop down a room of 22 squares, put up some wallpaper, floor and a door. Furniture optional? :D

I find that the initial information on likes/dislikes does not correlate with the reaction you get after completing the gig. Or, that the information you get out of the quest giving Sims is just not enough to understand what they want. Or indeed, maybe the game just has this built-in randomiser that doesn't even care what you do (also see Carl's Simguides dog poo decoration).
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited June 2021
    After playing with it for a while now, I have to say that I’m a *bit* disappointed. It was pretty frustrating to spend so much time decorating a room (in a style that I don’t like, btw), only for the clients to hate it & not pay my sim anything. While I get that people aren’t always happy with renovations in real life, lol, it didn’t make for a very fun game when I specifically followed my clients’ likes & dislikes. I think that it’d almost be better if they gave you a list of their must haves instead.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2021
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    Still liking the pack overall, but I have a few other complaints now, the modular sofas give my Sim an uncomfortable furniture moodlet, and the shelving disappears when the walls are down. It makes me not want to use those items. Kinda bummed about that.

Yes! Why is the sectional uncomfortable???
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    SimDork23 wrote: »
    After playing with it for a while now, I have to say that I’m a *bit* disappointed. It was pretty frustrating to spend so much time decorating a room (in a style that I don’t like, btw), only for the clients to hate it & not pay my sim anything. While I get that people aren’t always happy with renovations in real life, lol, it didn’t make for a very fun game when I specifically followed my clients’ likes & dislikes. I think that it’d almost be better if they gave you a list of their must haves instead.

Did you keep asking them even after it gave you the 3-4 for the UI? Whether a client likes it or not depends on all of their likes/dislikes, not just the ones that show up in the UI.
  • Emmy142Emmy142 Posts: 23 Member
    Have an impossible gig. They want a nursery addition added. They live in an apartment and it will not allow me to add on any new rooms, state I'm either outside of property lines or trying to add onto areas I don't own. I can't divide up existing rooms, it tells me I need to add onto an existing room. I can't buy any new furniture or sell the furniture in the existing rooms. I googled and one person said they could a room by building up an additional floor but the family can't access. I can't even do that as it states I can't build outside of the area I own. I don't even know how to get out of this.