Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Thank goodness for a negativity thread, too many players are willing to sweep the obvious under the rug

You're definitely not alone. :)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thank goodness for a negativity thread, too many players are willing to sweep the obvious under the rug

Sheen... sparkle, sparkle.
    https://youtu.be/e-🐸🐸🐸🐸

It cant be helped!
    Shiny!

Oh well, forum censor.
    https://youtu.be/0QbCZrs_4Yc
    I'm just trying the make the most from what I get.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited June 2021
    The modular furniture was the only thing attracting me to this pack (whenever it goes 50% off) but did you see how sensitive to the lighting they are? The swatches don’t look like they match if one is slightly less lit than the next. I’m not even interested at this point.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    The modular furniture was the only thing attracting me to this pack (whenever it goes 50% off) but did you see how sensitive to the lighting they are? The swatches don’t look like they match if one is slightly less lit than the next. I’m not even interested at this point.

There's already a mod that fixes the lighting. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary. But it's available nonetheless.

Hopefully installing it won't delete your save files, or alter your family name, or cause your dogs to turn into cats, or whatever else it is that Maxis seems to think mods are doing that keeps them from figuring out and fixing their own mistakes.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2021
    [quote="texxx78;c-17901482
    Crinrict is not saying that there are no bugs in the game. She is saying that she is spending a lot of time reporting bugs on Answer HQ that is caused by mods. And they can't determine if they are actual bugs because the people that report them are not removing their mods and testing playing the game without them.
    [/quote]

agreed
    where does crinrict say there isn't any bugs in the game
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »

There's already a mod that fixes the lighting. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary. But it's available nonetheless.

Hopefully installing it won't delete your save files, or alter your family name, or cause your dogs to turn into cats, or whatever else it is that Maxis seems to think mods are doing that keeps them from figuring out and fixing their own mistakes.

That’s good to know. I do use mods now but I keep them at a minimum (for my own sanity.) To me, that means I’ll get fixes for what’s already annoying in my game, not knowingly add more things I’ll need to fix with more mods. I don’t want the sofas so much that I am willing to add that mod to my monthly update list. Ya know?
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This game pack surely has no gameplay except clients reactions.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • susannesimssusannesims Posts: 128 Member
    I like the pack but I find the budget very annoying and I wish there were cheats for it. Currently the best workaround is to go into worldview and place something expensive on their lot

BTW this workaround, as well as bb.enablefreebuild also works for the room addition bug! Though to disable bb.enablefreebuild you have to go to the worlview and load another lot and go back anyway
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

Guess it depends on your definition of gameplay. Gameplay for a builder is building therefore by definition, it is a Game Pack :)

apple-signature.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited June 2021

Guess it depends on your definition of gameplay. Gameplay for a builder is building therefore by definition, it is a Game Pack :)

Nope. TS2/TS3 Stuff Packs had no gameplay but there was stuff for builders.

Gameplay is when your sims do something new

For example :
    Bust The Dust kit : the gameplay is "use the vacuum"
    edited June 2021
    A Game Pack is a mini EP focused on a theme.
    Moschino Stuff could be a Game Pack, it's a pack with a freelance career but they prefer to neglect the Photographer again.

They tried to put the Home Decorator career at the same level as an Active career from EP01 Get To Work.
    But Paranormal Stuff added a gameplay + a career, so a Stuff Pack could do the job.

I'm not sure if the careers should be Game Packs because I like to use the gameplay in my sims everyday life outside of the Pack theme.
    Gameplay is when your sims do something new

For example :
    Bust The Dust kit : the gameplay is "use the vacuum"

That is simply not true and maybe this is why so many get upset over pack features, or what they perceive to be lack of, because they don't truly understand the meaning of "gameplay":

From dictionary.com - the plot of a computer or video game or the way that it is played

From lexico.com - The features of a video game, such as its plot and the way it is played, as distinct from the graphics and sound effects.

From wiki - Gameplay is the specific way in which players interact with a game

From Collins - The gameplay of a computer game is the way that it is designed and the skills that you need in order to play it.

Gameplay starts when you press the big Play button on the main menu. What you decide to then do in your game is up to you but it is all gameplay.

apple-signature.png
    Felicity wrote: »
    Don't go by dictionary definitions. Go by how EA defines the different packs.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs.

"Medium-sized packs that add new experiences to play in new thematic ways."

I'm not sure this pack adds either. Even the furniture theme isn't new. Decorating is not a new way to play.

The dictionary definitions are for the word "gameplay" which a lot of simmers seem to use to describe only live mode play and not think it applies to BB or CAS, to builders and sim creators.

"Medium-sized packs that add new experiences to play in new thematic ways." - new career (new experience), new BB additions to facilitate new career (new thematic ways), new sim interactions (new experiences).

Speaking broadly, I never understand why there is so much hate towards DLC. It's as if the user complaining is being forced to buy it which they absolutely aren't. IMHO there are some truly awful and boring packs - Parenthood, Get Together, Vampires, Realm of Magic, Bowling Night, Toddler, and others, because they don't have anything interesting in them for me. That doesn't mean that they are awful packs, it just means that they don't suit the way I play the game or give me much to play with based on the BB style.
    apple-signature.png
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    See, I disagree with you. A gig-based career is not really a new experience IMO. Decorating rooms certainly is not a new experience. Are there even any hero objects? Maybe the sectional furniture. By EA's definition, this really does more fit into being a stuff pack where the focus is on CAS and objects.

Every pack has CAS and B/B. While certain elements may be neglected (hello male sims), it's there. So a game pack where the focus is, well, decorating which is a part of every pack makes it feel a lot less like unique gameplay.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    See, I disagree with you. A gig-based career is not really a new experience IMO. Decorating rooms certainly is not a new experience. Are there even any hero objects? Maybe the sectional furniture. By EA's definition, this really does more fit into being a stuff pack where the focus is on CAS and objects.

Every pack has CAS and B/B. While certain elements may be neglected (hello male sims), it's there. So a game pack where the focus is, well, decorating which is a part of every pack makes it feel a lot less like unique gameplay.

There might be less in Game packs in future because of the huge amount of work fitting them in with all the other packs. Still costs them the same in employees' work time sorting all the coding out. The cost of living is going up over time though so you won't get as much for your money as 7 years' ago.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

There might be less in Game packs in future because of the huge amount of work fitting them in with all the other packs. Still costs them the same in employees' work time sorting all the coding out. The cost of living is going up over time though so you won't get as much for your money as 7 years' ago.

Video games are hugely profitable. I do think you're right that packs will probably get thinner, though, and partly for the reason you're giving. Both Sims 3 and Sims 4 have issues the more packs you add. And unfortunately, as more packs get added to a buggy game, it will just get worse.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Don't go by dictionary definitions. Go by how EA defines the different packs.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs.

"Medium-sized packs that add new experiences to play in new thematic ways."

I'm not sure this pack adds either. Even the furniture theme isn't new. Decorating is not a new way to play.

The dictionary definitions are for the word "gameplay" which a lot of simmers seem to use to describe only live mode play and not think it applies to BB or CAS, to builders and sim creators.

"Medium-sized packs that add new experiences to play in new thematic ways." - new career (new experience), new BB additions to facilitate new career (new thematic ways), new sim interactions (new experiences).

Speaking broadly, I never understand why there is so much hate towards DLC. It's as if the user complaining is being forced to buy it which they absolutely aren't. IMHO there are some truly awful and boring packs - Parenthood, Get Together, Vampires, Realm of Magic, Bowling Night, Toddler, and others, because they don't have anything interesting in them for me. That doesn't mean that they are awful packs, it just means that they don't suit the way I play the game or give me much to play with based on the BB style.

I agree that certain packs is will appeal over others. The trouble I have with DLC for Sims 4 is that I need it to enjoy the game. If you had just base game the choices would be sparse with less careers and few different styles. 😩😫😣

Whereas I found in Sims 2 and 3, the packs added to the enjoyment of the base game.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

It may to you and others with similar play styles and opinions but not to some of those who have been wanting a kind of interior design/build career element for a long time, or modular furniture for example. You mention male sims being neglected, that isn't even something I would notice because it doesn't interest me, just as skin tones/hair/clothes/makeup/accessories don't interest me, whether in CAS or Live mode. It doesn't mean I think a pack more focused on these elements is lacking, it just means it wouldn't be value for money for me because of my gameplay style.

I like disagreement, it's good, shows how diverse we all are and encourages debate :)
    apple-signature.png
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    @BluebellFlora
    if I may jump into that discussion regarding gameplay, while I agree with you that both CAS and BB are just as much part of the gameplay as Livemode, in Packs there are usually "gameplay objects" meaning objects that add a new interaction in livemode.
    EPs usually add the most of those new gameplay objects, SPs only add one and GPs are somewhere between.

This GP however added only the childrens playhouse/tent as a new gameplay object,with interactions that aren't actually new afaik (I havent used that thing in my game yet, so I could be wrong).
    There are no new gameplay objects (meaning with new interactions) besides that, not even for the interior designer (the ideas board or what it is called, isnt even interactable....).
    So for a GP it is very, very much lagging in gameplay objects.

Even if you take BB into consideration, since this GP focuses alot on building.
    I personally LOVE building and spend about the same amount of time in BB as I do in livemode (also a considerable amount of time in CAS but still the least time), so I was looking forward to this pack but sadly I am pretty disappointed.
    For a pack focused on building there is neither a lot of new BB content, nor alot of variety in the new content.
    I would have thought if any pack would be BB content heavy, it would be this....but it is not.

There are also no new aspiration, skill, world, trait, venue, venue trait.....

so, while I like the new career and the BB that actually comes with it, on a whole it's just too thin for a GP (and too full for a SP, were it an SP we would have even less BB).
    Just like SpaDay imho.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora
    if I may jump into that discussion regarding gameplay, while I agree with you that both CAS and BB are just as much part of the gameplay as Livemode, in Packs there are usually "gameplay objects" meaning objects that add a new interaction in livemode.
    EPs usually add the most of those new gameplay objects, SPs only add one and GPs are somewhere between.

This GP however added only the childrens playhouse/tent as a new gameplay object,with interactions that aren't actually new afaik (I havent used that thing in my game yet, so I could be wrong).
    There are no new gameplay objects (meaning with new interactions) besides that, not even for the interior designer (the ideas board or what it is called, isnt even interactable....).
    So for a GP it is very, very much lagging in gameplay objects.

Even if you take BB into consideration, since this GP focuses alot on building.
    I personally LOVE building and spend about the same amount of time in BB as I do in livemode (also a considerable amount of time in CAS but still the least time), so I was looking forward to this pack but sadly I am pretty disappointed.
    For a pack focused on building there is neither a lot of new BB content, nor alot of variety in the new content.
    I would have thought if any pack would be BB content heavy, it would be this....but it is not.

There are also no new aspiration, skill, world, trait, venue, venue trait.....

so, while I like the new career and the BB that actually comes with it, on a whole it's just too thin for a GP (and too full for a SP, were it an SP we would have even less BB).
    Just like SpaDay imho.

Well said and I agree, I am seeing EA/Maxis giving less for more money and that is my opinion. However some support that by saying inflation affecting what EA/Maxis is doing and to some extent yes but they are pulling in an lot of dollars and the ones I see getting really hit by inflation is the customer. I do not believe in paying more for less and that is what is happening and let alone you have to beg someone to fix this game.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member

What is the mod that fixes the lighting please? I can’t find it sorry
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    EdithV wrote: »

What is the mod that fixes the lighting please? I can’t find it sorry

Here's a link to it on MTS:

https://modthesims.info/d/656841/sectionals-sofas-override-fix-for-the-light-issue.html
    edited June 2021
    @BluebellFlora

The Sims is a life simulator, it's designed to play with life.
    CAS, Build/Buy Mode, World maps, Household Manager, Gallery,... are tools but it's not a gameplay.

Cyberpunk 2077, Mass Effect or Dragon Age Inquisition, Create a character is not a gameplay.