Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    JamesSims528JamesSims528 Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2021
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How's everyone today?

Good. I made some rocky road yesterday, and I ate that today.
    Mum ordered pizza, and now I'm stuffed from too much food. I'm hoping to do some writing now.

This is the rocky road, it was delicious :yum:.

img_20210330_153113874.jpg
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    @DeafSimmer- Good thanks, just cooking some chicken and rice for dinner. Enjoyed what I read of your Legacy ^u^

@InfraGreen- I initially had character profiles for my stories, but I scrapped them since they ended up just being mass spoilers for stuff I revealed in the story anyway : P However I generally deal with somewhat-small casts, so I can get away with that without too much info-dumping. So if you've got a bigger cast of characters, it might be worth having a character profile page for each challenge/story just to keep track of everybody. Could just have their names, maybe traits/aspirations and a few lines on their overall personalities or something. And maybe a little character pic to go with it!

If not, another option (if a family tree is suitable) is the Plum Tree app, where you have a little space to write bios for each character, and add traits etc.

@JamesSims528 - Send me a slice of that Rocky Road ;o; I haven't baked in forever.

they/them or she/her
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited March 2021
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    One thing that HAS been requested of me before is a characters page! And then I never did it. Does anyone have opinions on making character pages? Do you know any blogs that have a good example of them?

@InfraGreen A character page is a good shout! I agree with @SnowBnuuy that they can get spoilery if you overdo them, but I think they can be done in a non-spoilery way if you only give people information they might have at the beginning - more of a reminder of who the plum all of these people are rather than summarising anything that's happened in the story.

I don't have a character page myself (purely out of laziness haha) but I can think of two nice examples that are quite different from each other; @_sims_Yimi has a character page that highlights a handful the main Tales of Camelot cast in a fair bit of detail, and @FeroshaCoutora has a character page for Baking By Death that gives snippet bios for a lot of the characters, but they're only very short and very non-spoilery, definitely helpful for keeping track!
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob I feel you, I don’t think I can be bothered to make a character page, although I might do short character intros for an upcoming part of my challenge since it involves six different students in the magic academy.

(also on a slightly related note, Tales of Camelot is so darn good!)
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy Makes sense if your cast is growing! I should probably do the same but I'll see if my readers are really struggling to remember before I consider it properly because effort :joy:

I love Tales of Camelot! Definitely one of my favourites :love:

(Also, you guys have reminded me that we still haven't updated the Plum Tree with Snowy Escape traits. Oops :sweat_smile: I will try to nag the husband about it!)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How's everyone today?

Good. I made some rocky road yesterday, and I ate that today.
    Mum ordered pizza, and now I'm stuffed from too much food. I'm hoping to do some writing now.

This is the rocky road, it was delicious :yum:.

img_20210330_153113874.jpg

is that brownies or what? I wish Mom would let me get rice krispe cereal since I would be way more willing to eat rice krispes cereal (or even Nesquik cereal) as alterative to mini wheats. I know both rice krispe and Nesquick cereal are junk food.

@DeafSimmer I'm just glad to have internet back after being without it all day Sunday and the majority of Monday
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob Same, everything about it is just so good. Also it brings back good memories of a show I used to love years ago!

Plum Tree is great fun to use. For fun I wanna show you all my family tree of a family that started off as a three-generation challenge... before I got obsessed with them and kept going until I got the 'Legacy Player' achievement : P
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,379 Member
    @InfraGreen @SnowBnuuy @ThePlumbob I appreciate a characters page with a picture and a name in stories with a large character gallery. (I'm hopeless at remembering names :flushed: )
    I do not need other information about the characters, but if a name is mentioned that is not in a picture, I am often lost and it takes a long time to flip through the previous chapters to recognize a character.
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy Wow, that's a huge tree! I like that it's so wide too, always nice to see the spare's families branching out in a legacy (I've often been guilty of eventually ignoring the spare's descendants when I used to play legacies, since it can get overwhelming!)

@MonaSolstraale You and me both! I'm definitely better at remembering faces than names :)
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob Haha, glad you like it! It's just a shame that it's so one-sided near the top (though that was my own fault)! I tried not to ignore the spare sims that I rarely played as, to build up the tree. One day I would actually like to a proper legacy challenge...it's just trying to think of a story for ten different generations : P
    @MonaSolstraale - Agreed, with challenges like Legacies and ISBIs I forget names so easily!
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i'm having leftover leftover chinese for dinner later. mom made it for my brother a few days ago then i got the leftovers tonight i get to eat whats left cause moms not feeling good.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

One thing that HAS been requested of me before is a characters page! And then I never did it. Does anyone have opinions on making character pages? Do you know any blogs that have a good example of them?

^^ This. I struggle with character pages. As a reader, I love them! As a writer, it's a lot of extra work and could be full of spoilers. I try to start a story without them and then if a cast grows to be huge (which often is the case in my stories :lol: ), then I add one somewhere. It's nice to use character pages as a way to showcase submitted Sims from casting calls also.

Here's an example of my KCLKF character pages:
    RdE7kxq.png
    I organized characters by neighborhood, by story, and then offered a non-spoiler family tree. Maybe that was overkill. Haha. I can't seem to do things halfway.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hello Writer's Lounge peeps! I'm aliiiiiive! Haha. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi here. *waves* How is everyone?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited March 2021
    @DeafSimmer - Doing okay, I have been editing my Seven Sins story today, and I finally felt it was ready to unleash upon the internet. LOL. Now it's time to move on to my legacy story and start writing that next chapter. :smile:

In regard to character pages, I feel like, if they are well done and you remain vague, there's a possibility you could get away with one. I have a mini one somewhat for my legacy, where it's combined with the chapter page, but only the heir is on there, with a brief vague description of what their generation is about. I write the summary before I write the actual chapters, so there's no way for me to spoil much in that sense.

If anyone wants to read my stuff, I'll put some links in this post. I always recommend reading my stuff in order because I write plot lines so just jumping in the middle would be confusing. I put the most recent update link just in case anyone has been lurking and is just waiting for the next update. LOL.
    The Seven Ridiculous Sins - from the beginning-Chapter 1: In the Beginning
    The Seven Ridiculous Sins - Most Recent Update - Chapter 10: Wrathful Tears
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Thanks for the advice @ThePlumbob @InfraGreen

A character page might actually work really well for VV since it's a game driven story. There wouldn't be lots of information just like which household they belong to and maybe links to the earliest or latest chapter they appeared. I'll think about it :)
  • Options
    @NewToTheSims - Just read Chapter 1, love the representations of the Sins and how they all talk to each other : P

they/them or she/her
  • Options
    New story 'chapter'...Well, this isn't a new 'chapter', but is instead a commentary/introduction to the new Magic Academy and the new students. Took all your advice on character profiles.
    . Welcome to the Academy- Introduction
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    TruHvsX.png
    Hey everyone! Today I have a new chapter of Nightshade, chapter 101, which you can read here! Enjoy!
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @InfraGreen- I initially had character profiles for my stories, but I scrapped them since they ended up just being mass spoilers for stuff I revealed in the story anyway : P However I generally deal with somewhat-small casts, so I can get away with that without too much info-dumping. So if you've got a bigger cast of characters, it might be worth having a character profile page for each challenge/story just to keep track of everybody. Could just have their names, maybe traits/aspirations and a few lines on their overall personalities or something. And maybe a little character pic to go with it!

If not, another option (if a family tree is suitable) is the Plum Tree app, where you have a little space to write bios for each character, and add traits etc.

@SnowBnuuy: figuring out the relevant info is the hardest part! Roles and relations and lore are the important ones. I did try putting it into Family Echo because it's easier to integrate in ancestors for everyone, but while I could draw a relationship between a lot of characters in Outrun, I can't do it for all of them and the relationships are often spoilers themselves. It's a nice personal organizer though. I might try to have a public one but it's tempting to just link to my six degrees of separation mess.

Handling spoilers is the big question...I had the feeling that most people going that deep into a blog are caught up on the story but I am the person who will spoil myself. Is this another question for the community? Who knows. :p
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    I don't have a character page myself (purely out of laziness haha) but I can think of two nice examples that are quite different from each other; @ _sims_Yimi has a character page that highlights a handful the main Tales of Camelot cast in a fair bit of detail, and @ FeroshaCoutora has a character page for Baking By Death that gives snippet bios for a lot of the characters, but they're only very short and very non-spoilery, definitely helpful for keeping track!

@ThePlumbob: I'm getting through your story fine without the page! But thanks for the examples. I think @_sims_Yimi has the approach I like better with the relations outlined. Hopefully it doesn't get too long since relationships pile up the moment a few people decide not to die...

And I better check out their stories but one day at a time.
    ^^ This. I struggle with character pages. As a reader, I love them! As a writer, it's a lot of extra work and could be full of spoilers. I try to start a story without them and then if a cast grows to be huge (which often is the case in my stories :lol: ), then I add one somewhere. It's nice to use character pages as a way to showcase submitted Sims from casting calls also.

Here's an example of my KCLKF character pages:
    RdE7kxq.png
    I organized characters by neighborhood, by story, and then offered a non-spoiler family tree. Maybe that was overkill. Haha. I can't seem to do things halfway.

@AdamsEve1231: I'm so allergic to the work...I need the solidarity with needing categories for characters too, at least for Outrun (at the very least drawing a line between Sheila's line, Heathcliff's line, the Ironstars, other daemons, and the ever-mysterious "miscellaneous") What I really need to study is your lore blog though. That's a topic for another day!

And yes I am fangirling over the My Life with Criminals reboot, or at least I was until I had to make dinner.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @NewToTheSims - Just read Chapter 1, love the representations of the Sins and how they all talk to each other : P

@SnowBnuuy - Hey! Thanks so much for reading. Glad you enjoyed it LOL.
  • Options
    @InfraGreen I just made one for the next part of my challenge, and since it won’t be as in-depth as Part One of the challenge I added a bit on everyone’s personality as well, but only a small bit, and didn’t add every single thing about the characters. The hard part will be figuring out how all the students in the magic academy will all get along with each other (or not : p) I randomly rolled traits for them all to give me some ideas for personalities, half of them ended up with the Vegetarian trait that wouldn’t do much for the story part, but still!

Two of the students who share a dorm room in Part Two rolled Romantic and Goofball and the other rolled Loner. Would be fun to see how the Loner sim deals with rooming with a flirty extroverted type : p
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @squirrelwithacup

I really loved this chapter! I love Orion's personality, and how gentle Skylar is with him. It's lovely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top