Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years later: Are you happy with where TS4 is going?

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    No, they're lacking in depth
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    I played Crusader Kings 3 for the first time last night and within an hour my character:

1. seduced his sister-in-law
    2. found out she was pregnant
    3. disowned the child
    4. became the target of an assassination plot headed by his own cuckold brother.
    5. survived the assassination attempt
    6. was ultimately blinded and maimed in a duel with his brother, who was subsequently murdered by the sister-in-law (who literally went insane after my character disowned the child).

If the possibilities for 🌺🌺🌺🌺 happening were even close to this in TS4, I’d be so much more satisfied. And no, we don’t need murder in the game; we simply need more in the way of dynamic content.

CK3 serves as a good example of why I'm not really interested in a theoretical Sims 5. This would be the fourth time we've returned to the base game after The Sims 2 more or less codified The Sims experience. I finally get the game that I want and then I start all again. I don't think that I want to purchase what is in effect The Sims 2 for the fourth time either.

You don't have to buy The Sims 5 if you're happy with TS4 so enjoy! I still play TS3 and never felt compelled to buy TS4.

The Sims 5 are for the people unhappy with TS4, and for people who weren't able to get TS2 or whose disks no longer work, and people who play TS3 who want an improved version of it (since there is no news of it being remastered).

• Options
    I played Crusader Kings 3 for the first time last night and within an hour my character:

3. disowned the child
    4. became the target of an assassination plot headed by his own cuckold brother.
    6. was ultimately blinded and maimed in a duel with his brother, who was subsequently murdered by the sister-in-law (who literally went insane after my character disowned the child).

If the possibilities for 🌺🌺🌺🌺 happening were even close to this in TS4, I’d be so much more satisfied. And no, we don’t need murder in the game; we simply need more in the way of dynamic content.

That is awesome! Want to see depth like that in The Sims 5!!!

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!
    Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.

i have to say i do find them saying it’s a soft reboot/alternate universe is a little lazy on them in terms of lore. even if people didn’t enjoy lore, some accuracies would be appreciated for those who do: such as Dina and Nina’s mother be Ni.G.hat (they censored her original name??) instead of Katrina. if they are trying to invite all the people to TS4, then invite them all, and not make up family trees that have been cemented

I might have been bothered if The Sims had any semblance of story. "Mortimer is a buttoned-up, dour man who lives in a mansion with his smokin' hot party wife" is just a hook to get you playing. You write their story from that point out. If you don't like Katrina, three mouse clicks get rid of her permanently. I don't see it as an issue; I'm not particularly invested in the Caliente genealogy. If I were, and I wanted the previous matriarch, there's an easy fix for that too.

Nothings perfect, but we still have the tools to fix that sort of stuff to our liking.

see the issue is you saying “*I* might have been bothered” the thing is some other people may have seen through discrepancies. saying if we don’t like Katrina we should just delete her completely disregards players who want a story to play within the Sims. the majority of players noticed these discrepancies and it seemed the Sims team did a cop-out by saying “this is an alternate universe :-)” there’s a happy medium between playing styles, and making up random sims (as in changing Dina and Nina’s mother) doesn’t add to any players play-style

Yeah, I'm talking about my personal opinion. I speak for myself, no other. I thought that's what we were doing here.

i agree but if many people point out sims lore (such as the youtube channel simslore) then maybe they could’ve added some in the base game. for people like you, it doesn’t matter. but to do the bare minimum of following family trees shouldn’t be an issue

Sure. But I don't think it's a productive use of our time to try and pretend to speak for anyone else, if for no other reason that we're not going to convince each other to abandon our positions. All I did here was to tell you what I thought about The Sims 4 and why. It is not my intent, nor was it in any way implied that my way is the only way, or that it is the right way. As you indicated, my way is the objectively wrong way to enjoy The Sims.

Aside from sharing my personal views, I hope that they will illustrate also that people who like this iteration aren't a bunch of children who cannot fathom the past glories of The Sims games, nor are we a malignant other that has to be overcome in order to return the series to a state of purity. We're just people, many of whom have also played all of the games, who have a different opinion about a video game. If we can get past this, maybe this forum will be more of a discussion and less of a contest of wills.

i never indicated the way you play the sims is objectively wrong...that’s a weird accusation to make

It's sarcasm. There is no wrong way to enjoy a video game. I made the remark because you started becoming a little confrontational when I explained what I thought about sims lore reboots, genealogy and CAS.

lmao no i see maybe you’re a little *sensitive* but i see your point! my point was for people who care about lore and being consistent is Sims 4 isn’t about that, whatsoever. maybe be less sensitive in future posts bc we’re on the same wavelength :-)

I see we're not really going to continue this discussion in good faith. Pity, we almost had a breakthrough. Another time maybe.

i’m trying to talk through it but you want to throw words out such as saying i’m, “confrontational.” maybe in the future if you want to have a regular discussion try not to use such division bc i think we’re on the same page xx

I think that I'm starting to understand you better.

i agree with you on lots of things, semantics is the issue. if this response from you is in a bad way, so be it. but if we understand each other in a good way, then i’m glad :-)

You don't understand what I meant by that.

Going forward, I think you'd be better served talking about what you like as opposed to remarks about not being able to discern the evidently highly esoteric Caliente genealogy. I've played the games, I know what it says. Those "discernment" remarks are intended to provoke. We're not going to convince each other of anything, nor is it my personal intent.

well the Caliente family is just one example of what i meant. there are many simmers who love the lore of the game, and the Sims 4 team has thrown that out the window. i don’t think it’s a good thing to discredit those criticisms just because someone doesn’t like Sims lore

I agree that discrediting criticism of those things is a bad thing, and if I ever do that then be sure to let me know. I haven't. I told you what I think and why I think it. Again, I speak for me alone. I have been repeatedly explicit about this. I have also never said that I "didn't like Sims lore". In fact, I offered no qualitative judgement -- and that has been consistent through my remarks.

i hope you take a step back and look at your responses to mine. you may not see yours as disconcerting and flippant, but they were. from saying i should just delete Katrina Caliente to telling me what *i* should talk about. i think we’re on the same side but your defensiveness derails that

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I referred to not arguing in good faith. You're ascribing a series of innuendoes and intents to my remarks that simply aren't there. It's why we can't really interact -- we end up adjudicating my character over things I haven't done rather than just discuss the game. It is also a good example of why I generally don't interact with someone for more than three rounds of discussion -- a policy that I violated here with you. We laid out what we thought but then this sort of things starts and we all end up like goats bleating at each other across a chasm.

And that's where it ends.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020

3. disowned the child

CK3 serves as a good example of why I'm not really interested in a theoretical Sims 5. This would be the fourth time we've returned to the base game after The Sims 2 more or less codified The Sims experience. I finally get the game that I want and then I start all again. I don't think that I want to purchase what is in effect The Sims 2 for the fourth time either.

I’m no fan of Paradox’s DLC strategy, and I was worried going into CK3, but at least the base game includes a lot of content that was DLC in CK2. And the map is a lot bigger. I think they did alright.

I share your concerns about TS5, however.
  • Options
    Yes, lot of content!

3. disowned the child

I’m no fan of Paradox’s DLC strategy, and I was worried going into CK3, but at least the base game includes a lot of content that was DLC in CK2. And the map is a lot bigger. I think they did alright.

I was floored by all of stuff that is in the base game. Of course they can't fit everything, there was an endless parade of DLC for CKII, but holy cow did Paradox put in some work.
  • Options

3. disowned the child

I'm not crazy about Paradox's DLC strategy either, but at least the DLCs are of excellent quality.

I'm more optimistic about The Sims 5 though because The Sims series has competition now so they can no longer afford to be cheap and lazy about gameplay, AI or content for the next iteration. If anything, it will definitely be better than TS4 which is really the bottom of the barrel.

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited September 2020

3. disowned the child

I've had my eye on that game, I tried to play CK2 but it was too complicated for me. Is it a bit more streamlined now?
  • Options

3. disowned the child

I was floored by all of stuff that is in the base game. Of course they can't fit everything, there was an endless parade of DLC for CKII, but holy cow did Paradox put in some work.

Same. I was very pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    bixters wrote: »

3. disowned the child

I've had my eye on that game, I tried to play CK2 but it was too complicated for me. Is it a bit more streamlined now?

It is. Some systems have been simplified, and the tutorial is much better. There are also informative tooltips galore and a built-in encyclopedia.

With that said, you’re probably still going to need to watch a few hours of YouTube guides to get your bearings - especially if you’re not a CK2 vet. But it’s well worth it because so much of the enjoyment is tied to understanding what’s going on.
  • Options
    Yes, lot of content!

3. disowned the child

Now if I could only feel as confident about how Bloodlines 2 is going to come out. :D
  • Options

3. disowned the child

Now if I could only feel as confident about how Bloodlines 2 is going to come out. :D

Yeah, lol, my confidence is plummeting there. It’s a shame too because Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorites. Hopefully they surprise everyone but it ain’t looking good.
  • Options
    fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.

i have to say i do find them saying it’s a soft reboot/alternate universe is a little lazy on them in terms of lore. even if people didn’t enjoy lore, some accuracies would be appreciated for those who do: such as Dina and Nina’s mother be Ni.G.hat (they censored her original name??) instead of Katrina. if they are trying to invite all the people to TS4, then invite them all, and not make up family trees that have been cemented

I might have been bothered if The Sims had any semblance of story. "Mortimer is a buttoned-up, dour man who lives in a mansion with his smokin' hot party wife" is just a hook to get you playing. You write their story from that point out. If you don't like Katrina, three mouse clicks get rid of her permanently. I don't see it as an issue; I'm not particularly invested in the Caliente genealogy. If I were, and I wanted the previous matriarch, there's an easy fix for that too.

Nothings perfect, but we still have the tools to fix that sort of stuff to our liking.

see the issue is you saying “*I* might have been bothered” the thing is some other people may have seen through discrepancies. saying if we don’t like Katrina we should just delete her completely disregards players who want a story to play within the Sims. the majority of players noticed these discrepancies and it seemed the Sims team did a cop-out by saying “this is an alternate universe :-)” there’s a happy medium between playing styles, and making up random sims (as in changing Dina and Nina’s mother) doesn’t add to any players play-style

Yeah, I'm talking about my personal opinion. I speak for myself, no other. I thought that's what we were doing here.

i agree but if many people point out sims lore (such as the youtube channel simslore) then maybe they could’ve added some in the base game. for people like you, it doesn’t matter. but to do the bare minimum of following family trees shouldn’t be an issue

Sure. But I don't think it's a productive use of our time to try and pretend to speak for anyone else, if for no other reason that we're not going to convince each other to abandon our positions. All I did here was to tell you what I thought about The Sims 4 and why. It is not my intent, nor was it in any way implied that my way is the only way, or that it is the right way. As you indicated, my way is the objectively wrong way to enjoy The Sims.

Aside from sharing my personal views, I hope that they will illustrate also that people who like this iteration aren't a bunch of children who cannot fathom the past glories of The Sims games, nor are we a malignant other that has to be overcome in order to return the series to a state of purity. We're just people, many of whom have also played all of the games, who have a different opinion about a video game. If we can get past this, maybe this forum will be more of a discussion and less of a contest of wills.

i never indicated the way you play the sims is objectively wrong...that’s a weird accusation to make

It's sarcasm. There is no wrong way to enjoy a video game. I made the remark because you started becoming a little confrontational when I explained what I thought about sims lore reboots, genealogy and CAS.

lmao no i see maybe you’re a little *sensitive* but i see your point! my point was for people who care about lore and being consistent is Sims 4 isn’t about that, whatsoever. maybe be less sensitive in future posts bc we’re on the same wavelength :-)

I see we're not really going to continue this discussion in good faith. Pity, we almost had a breakthrough. Another time maybe.

i’m trying to talk through it but you want to throw words out such as saying i’m, “confrontational.” maybe in the future if you want to have a regular discussion try not to use such division bc i think we’re on the same page xx

i agree with you on lots of things, semantics is the issue. if this response from you is in a bad way, so be it. but if we understand each other in a good way, then i’m glad :-)

Going forward, I think you'd be better served talking about what you like as opposed to remarks about not being able to discern the evidently highly esoteric Caliente genealogy. I've played the games, I know what it says. Those "discernment" remarks are intended to provoke. We're not going to convince each other of anything, nor is it my personal intent.

well the Caliente family is just one example of what i meant. there are many simmers who love the lore of the game, and the Sims 4 team has thrown that out the window. i don’t think it’s a good thing to discredit those criticisms just because someone doesn’t like Sims lore

I agree that discrediting criticism of those things is a bad thing, and if I ever do that then be sure to let me know. I haven't. I told you what I think and why I think it. Again, I speak for me alone. I have been repeatedly explicit about this. I have also never said that I "didn't like Sims lore". In fact, I offered no qualitative judgement -- and that has been consistent through my remarks.

i hope you take a step back and look at your responses to mine. you may not see yours as disconcerting and flippant, but they were. from saying i should just delete Katrina Caliente to telling me what *i* should talk about. i think we’re on the same side but your defensiveness derails that

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I referred to not arguing in good faith. You're ascribing a series of innuendoes and intents to my remarks that simply aren't there. It's why we can't really interact -- we end up adjudicating my character over things I haven't done rather than just discuss the game. It is also a good example of why I generally don't interact with someone for more than three rounds of discussion -- a policy that I violated here with you. We laid out what we thought but then this sort of things starts and we all end up like goats bleating at each other across a chasm.

well you saying in "3 clicks" we could delete Katrina Caliente isn't really the answer to people having an issue with Sims lore. i'm finding you playing defense when you were the one who said i was confrontational to begin with - we really shouldn't make up issues when they aren't there. the problem in the community is people throwing a stone and hiding their hand and this is what your comments seem like. in the future, you shouldn't lob accusations of people being "confrontational" when people respond in a spirited way. if we could all own our attitude we could talk more about the game and less about semantics
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!

3. disowned the child

Yeah, lol, my confidence is plummeting there. It’s a shame too because Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorites. Hopefully they surprise everyone but it ain’t looking good.

I'm with you there. Delays are fine, but then the second delay with the firings spells trouble in the works. Well, at least this serves as a good example of why you don't preorder games.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

What is going on with Bloodlines 2? All I know is that they pushed back the release date on it so that. But Cyperpunk 2077's release date was pushed back too before? Is there something else?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!

well you saying in "3 clicks" we could delete Katrina Caliente isn't really the answer to people having an issue with Sims lore. i'm finding you playing defense when you were the one who said i was confrontational to begin with - we really shouldn't make up issues when they aren't there. the problem in the community is people throwing a stone and hiding their hand and this is what your comments seem like. in the future, you shouldn't lob accusations of people being "confrontational" when people respond in a spirited way. if we could all own our attitude we could talk more about the game and less about semantics

I'm not offering you a "solution", I'm telling you why it doesn't bother me. For the fourth time, that's what I thought we were doing. Once again, I am not telling you how to "fix" what you don't like, or that what you don't like is somehow unimportant. Frankly, it seems more like you were looking for a fight, and I gave you one. I absolutely regret engaging in the first place, and I think it is time to cut losses and move on. I'm done throwing away my time on this pointless exchange.
  • Options
    fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member

I'm not offering you a "solution", I'm telling you why it doesn't bother me. For the fourth time, that's what I thought we were doing. Once again, I am not telling you how to "fix" what you don't like, or that what you don't like is somehow unimportant. Frankly, it seems more like you were looking for a fight, and I gave you one. I absolutely regret engaging in the first place, and I think it is time to cut losses and move on.

ok true i see your solution, and i was never looking for a fight (maybe you were?) but i'm glad we're both a fan on Bloodlines as well! all games in this year seem to be up in the air but i hope bloodlines follows their release plan :-(
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • Options
    Yes, lot of content!

What is going on with Bloodlines 2? All I know is that they pushed back the release date on it so that. But Cyperpunk 2077's release date was pushed back too before? Is there something else?

There was a delay in the spring. That's not a big deal; it happens all the time. But a few weeks ago they announced a second delay and then immediately fired both the game director and the lead writer, the latter of which was the lead on the first game. Obviously that's a sign of problems in development, and so I'm pretty apprehensive about what we're going to get. To be fair, I was previously a little concerned that what we were going to get was going to be too action-y and not RPG-y enough for my tastes, but now I think it we'll be fortunate if the game is not a total mess.
  • Options
    mogshazmogshaz Posts: 24 Member

Brian Mitsoda was removed from his position as Narrative lead.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Mainly it’s been the sudden firing of the creative leads, combined with the delay and some rough-looking previews. Put all that together and it smells like trouble to me.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

There was a delay in the spring. That's not a big deal; it happens all the time. But a few weeks ago they announced a second delay and then immediately fired both the game director and the lead writer, the latter of which was the lead on the first game. Obviously that's a sign of problems in development, and so I'm pretty apprehensive about what we're going to get. To be fair, I was previously a little concerned that what we were going to get was going to be too action-y and not RPG-y enough for my tastes, but now I think it we'll be fortunate if the game is not a total mess.

It's interesting because for the V5 edition of tabletop, they fired most of the writers for that too, shortly after the release of the core book, due in part to a faux pas in writing a segment of the fictional world of, I think, the Camarilla source book, which was pulled and corrected. And Mark Rein-Hagen had rejoined the team for V5 so he was ousted too. Now with Bloodlines suddenly following the same pattern, I feel a queasy distrust for Paradox.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Yes, lot of content!
    LiELF wrote: »

It's interesting because for the V5 edition of tabletop, they fired most of the writers for that too, shortly after the release of the core book, due in part to a faux pas in writing a segment of the fictional world of, I think, the Camarilla source book, which was pulled and corrected. And Mark Rein-Hagen had rejoined the team for V5 so he was ousted too. Now with Bloodlines suddenly following the same pattern, I feel a queasy distrust for Paradox.

I can understand some language changing with the times -- it was indeed the Camarilla book -- but I think the wholesale dismissal was a terrible idea. The sad thing is that I was so happy when Paradox bought White Wolf from CCP, but I almost wish that they hadn't. Sometimes I think that the IPs sitting there collecting dust would be better than all of this.

I'm really surprised to see so many White Wolf enthusiasts here. That's awesome.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    No, I’m ready for TS5 whenever it’s coming, if it even comes.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    While I am enjoying a lot of packs this year, the base game still needs a lot of help with content. I am helping squish bugs being a playtester, so that is going ok. There are still a lot of bugs still, but keep plugging along with that. Thankfully my game doesn't crash anymore like it did in the beginning. I do think the Sims 4 will follow in the Sims 3 footsteps with having bugs still left unfixed. If they could replace SPs with bug fixes I would be happy since let's face it patches impact the game more positively than a million tiny DLC packs. I am enjoying the GPs for the most part except Dine Out. EPs it is a hit and miss and unpopular opinion but City Living felt very lackluster without the help of Eco Lifestyle and University for apartment living.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I can understand some language changing with the times -- it was indeed the Camarilla book -- but I think the wholesale dismissal was a terrible idea. The sad thing is that I was so happy when Paradox bought White Wolf from CCP, but I almost wish that they hadn't. Sometimes I think that the IPs sitting there collecting dust would be better than all of this.

I'm really surprised to see so many White Wolf enthusiasts here. That's awesome.

I was happy to find out too. Now, not so sure. It seemed to me like an excessive move for one mistake before the physical copy released.

But yeah, several White Wolves here! Maybe that can be the next crossover. World of Darkness!

I wish.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    Will can you come back please?sis needs some help. Thanks 0G7HO4y.jpg