Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years later: Are you happy with where TS4 is going?

Comments

• KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    No, they're lacking in depth
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »
    the fact that i can’t have my sim be a villain is the depth i need lmao. i have her go up to people and insult their house, their yard, and mock their outfit but with autonomy on they just go into joking and laughing with each other...makes no sense

You know what's funny. They removed toddlers on release because they wanted to "focus on sims personalities in depth"

Clearly they lied.

Could they really have meant 'identity'? It's very possible to build up a detailed identity based on career, hobbies, outfits and whatnot.

Even after your apology in another thread. Still dismissive I see. :disappointed:

How am I being dismissive? Stop now, please. I'm simply participating in talk about the game peacefully.

Is there an unique identity for TS4? Nope.

I think that there is, and I think that the crux of the argument from the anti side confirms that as well. The Sims 4 has its own identity, and much of the argument from people who don't like the game comes down to the fact that they don't like that identity as compared to previous titles.

Each of the four main entries has its own distinct identity to me. It's hard to quantify what each of them are, but it is like sitting in four different chairs. They're all chairs, and they all hold you up like chairs do, but everybody has a favorite chair.

i took identity as a Sim’s identity - we went from personality points in TS2 to 5 traits in TS3 along with favorite food, music, and color. then in TS4 we went down to 3 traits with nothing additional so it seems like the identity of a Sim in TS4 is very lack-luster compared to before

This. Not to mention most of the traits... don’t do anything :# my sims are individuals because I believe they are and have the imagination to be able to do that, not because of immersive game play. Three traits, a job, an aspiration, and some hobbies doesn’t mean diddly,
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    the fact that i can’t have my sim be a villain is the depth i need lmao. i have her go up to people and insult their house, their yard, and mock their outfit but with autonomy on they just go into joking and laughing with each other...makes no sense

You know what's funny. They removed toddlers on release because they wanted to "focus on sims personalities in depth"

Clearly they lied.

Could they really have meant 'identity'? It's very possible to build up a detailed identity based on career, hobbies, outfits and whatnot.

Even after your apology in another thread. Still dismissive I see. :disappointed:

How am I being dismissive? Stop now, please. I'm simply participating in talk about the game peacefully.

I think that there is, and I think that the crux of the argument from the anti side confirms that as well. The Sims 4 has its own identity, and much of the argument from people who don't like the game comes down to the fact that they don't like that identity as compared to previous titles.

Each of the four main entries has its own distinct identity to me. It's hard to quantify what each of them are, but it is like sitting in four different chairs. They're all chairs, and they all hold you up like chairs do, but everybody has a favorite chair.

i took identity as a Sim’s identity - we went from personality points in TS2 to 5 traits in TS3 along with favorite food, music, and color. then in TS4 we went down to 3 traits with nothing additional so it seems like the identity of a Sim in TS4 is very lack-luster compared to before

I honestly think these players haven't played the older games due to the way they speak abut their feedback
    Komura wrote: »

Clearly they lied.

This. Not to mention most of the traits... don’t do anything :# my sims are individuals because I believe they are and have the imagination to be able to do that, not because of immersive game play. Three traits, a job, an aspiration, and some hobbies doesn’t mean diddly,

This. A neat TS3 sim won't even use a dirty object lol

Clearly they lied.

There were definitely some TS3 traits that didn’t seem to do a lot either, but they were more subtle in the differences they made to our sims personality, but they all (most?) did at least something.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    Can't confirm as I'm waiting for more DLCs they could make
    I enjoy the forums ...read the threads often and I already know that I am not an atypical player. I hate whims and the sims 2 thing was the worst ..i hated the meter thing and would get rid of it as soon as possible...i like my sims to be the characters that they seem to be in my head rather then how things happen to interfere ...I create drama my way and love it.
    The content I feel is missing is ...

1. Nurseries....the sims 3 had that down to a science ..(the babies were reasonably cute) ..the nurseries you could create were precious and the stroller ..the play mat...and the swing were great for interactive baby moments. Who didn't love the changing table..the diaper genie and the bathing station(allow for the parents to have some preparation for the birth of their newest family member) So I love that babies can have different outfits now and that is what should have changed from sims 3 progressing to sims4...we needed adorable babies we could interact with similar to sims3 (bathing in the kitchen sink too please) and clothing changes (probably some we could just buy (cas) and the knits the family could make/gift.

The baby life phase is important to family players ....which a good number of folks are. We need interactive play with babies to keep them interesting ..right now we just age them up moments after being born ..because they are currently pointless.

Since we started in 2014 it would be nice if we progressed with babies ..but we took a huge step backwards.
    * if we cannot free the babies in sims 4 because of how the game is coded etc ..then just say so(EA)....close the door on the subject... it has been going on for years now.

3. I don't miss cars we could drive all over town in but....A. I miss cars that would leave the driveway and kick in a loading screen. (we naturally would choose a make/model for the kind of family or personality of the one driving it) we would need to be able to assign a car to a person or person(s).

B. Cars that could park in the driveway with the motor running and listening to the radio while making out...

C. and finally cars that needed a bit of a repair.
    Family life includes dreading to teach your teen to drive....finally being able to purchase your dream car...Saturdays under the hood or washing that car for a first date.

When eco living came out ..it seemed certain farming was next ....I think going green and farming make excellent partners.....and i think folks that love the family lifestyle ..the various forms of it...would be ok with star wars ..if ...huge if.....other more important things were in place first. Simmers love their gardens ...have for years and that has not changed(and now our gardens are broken)...we love our pets ..and that hasn't changed either ....and horses ..fresh eggs and corn stretching all tall in the south 40. Things that offer a gratifying return to beloved things is like a breath of fresh air ..we like nostalgia ...so sending someone off to a galaxy far far away might be fine ....if there was a meanwhile back on the farm to come home to.

Romance ....Where is the love? The world loves silly love songs ..slow dancing and holding hands. Married sims enjoy a calming cuddle before falling off to sleep or perhaps a calming cuddle after a powerful woo-hoo ....and then falling asleep....morning cuddles are nice too and often lead to ..well we might never know because sims 4 lacks romance. What teen doesn't live for prom ..or maybe the parents live for the prom photos...prom means a lot before a kid prepares to be a young adult and head off to University. Newly weds might give up a good fridge to afford that heart shaped hot tub for the deck....who would not have been happy to have the heart shaped hot tub and the heart shaped bed for the 20th anniversary special ..in sims nostalgia works so well for simmers. It is sometimes the little things that hurt the most.

Clearly they lied.

There were definitely some TS3 traits that didn’t seem to do a lot either, but they were more subtle in the differences they made to our sims personality, but they all (most?) did at least something.

But did TS4 improve these traits? No.

Clearly they lied.

But did TS4 improve these traits? No.

Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Yes, lot of content!
    Felicity wrote: »

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually could have our sims slap each other like that? They took it out because it was considered abusive, yet it's in their trailer.

I am sure they changed a lot of things because of whatever the emotion of the moment was, in that case, probably the "Me Too Movement." People exploded recently about skin tones, so now they are scrambling to add more skin tones even though independent modders have been doing that for years. I only have one suggestion for the creators of this content and all others: Stop watching the news and trying to adapt to whatever the emotion of the moment is. You will never be able to keep up. This week its BLM and racism and skin tones. Next week it will be something else. I see people here all the time reminiscing about the earlier iterations of the game but back then, they had just as many people who complained about everything as they do now.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
    Felicity wrote: »

Wouldn't it be nice if we actually could have our sims slap each other like that? They took it out because it was considered abusive, yet it's in their trailer.

I am sure they changed a lot of things because of whatever the emotion of the moment was, in that case, probably the "Me Too Movement." People exploded recently about skin tones, so now they are scrambling to add more skin tones even though independent modders have been doing that for years. I only have one suggestion for the creators of this content and all others: Stop watching the news and trying to adapt to whatever the emotion of the moment is. You will never be able to keep up. This week its BLM and racism and skin tones. Next week it will be something else. I see people here all the time reminiscing about the earlier iterations of the game but back then, they had just as many people who complained about everything as they do now.

... Yikes
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    No. It's incredibly frustrating because they come up with great ideas, but the implementation of these ideas ends up half baked. Plus, there's quite a few base game features that need so much more work. It's really sad that 6 years in, babies are still objects, the traits/personality doesn't seem to matter much (tends to be overwhelmed by the whacked out emotions system), and so on. It makes it really hard to get excited for new DLC and to remain engaged in the game when I keep bumping up against the lack of depth.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,178 Member
    The Star Wars pack is the first pack I've been interested in since University. So again, despite the fact that I'm defending the latest pack, I'm not happy with the game. I honestly wish they could get the budget to do a "Less is more" thing like the older games. Remember how a Nightlife expansion pack for Sims 2 and 3 included more features than JUST going to clubs? Hell, we got vampires with each of those packs. But now a days it's like they'll come up with one idea for a pack....and that's it. There's no reason why we had to pay for Vampires and Spellcasters separately except for the fact that they're trying to milk this game for all its worth.
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    > @Komura said:
    > I remember I’m the sims 2 when I first played the Pleasants on launch day. The storyline where Daniel is cheating with the maid who’s name I can’t spell, and Mary Sue comes home because she’s been fired and it’s just gut wrenching and immersive. I had her kick his butt out of that house but the effects of his infidelity lingered with her and Lilith and Angela. I miss that, I miss when things that happened mattered and had an effect on our sims. I miss when my sim would miss their dead spouse, or when an ex lover would show up and it was tense as heck or passion ensued. I miss being immersed so much that hours passed until it was 6AM and I had to pee terribly, I miss the drama and spontaneous excitement, the mystery, and the passion, I miss the small things like finding snakes and making a reptile room, I miss finding the silly hidden Easter eggs the team hid absolutely everywhere, I miss the fulfilling gameplay and the way the game managed to make even my micromanaged gameplay unpredictable and spontaneous. I had a meteor once hit my school and everyone inside died, it was wild, I was so scared and in shock and it was AMAZING! It was glorious, and one of my favorite memories from Sims 3.
    >

Came here to say this, I just reinstalled Sims 2 after getting a new comp and the drama that is created in that Pleasant household from the get go (if you take their scripted advice) is so far reaching. The girls hate each other and fight, Daniel is sad cause Mary Sue ended things, Kaylynn the maid is getting slapped by MarySue so now they have beef, both girls hate Daniel for it. And they don't all just start having a casual conversation after it and like each other game. There is fire around those thought bubbles!
    Dina Caliente got robbed and everyone in that family HATES the burglar. It's so easy to create a soap opera level storyline in that installment. That's all I really want back! Not Sims who have zero personality and no memory.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!

Clearly they lied.

I would prefer that the personality matrix of The Sims and The Sims 2 returns, but in lieu of this I think that having fewer traits, which I don't like very much, and having them be less impactful, is a good thing. At least they're out of my way.

Clearly they lied.

I honestly think these players haven't played the older games due to the way they speak abut their feedback

Interesting.
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member

Clearly they lied.

I would prefer that the personality matrix of The Sims and The Sims 2 returns, but in lieu of this I think that having fewer traits, which I don't like very much, and having them be less impactful, is a good thing. At least they're out of my way.

Clearly they lied.

Interesting.

i’m glad you pointed it out that fewer traits is important to you - usually people want more, but there *are* people who want less and it’s good we acknowledge those players too

Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited September 2020
    I remember I’m the sims 2 when I first played the Pleasants on launch day. The storyline where Daniel is cheating with the maid who’s name I can’t spell, and Mary Sue comes home because she’s been fired and it’s just gut wrenching and immersive. I had her kick his butt out of that house but the effects of his infidelity lingered with her and Lilith and Angela. I miss that, I miss when things that happened mattered and had an effect on our sims. I miss when my sim would miss their dead spouse, or when an ex lover would show up and it was tense as heck or passion ensued. I miss being immersed so much that hours passed until it was 6AM and I had to pee terribly, I miss the drama and spontaneous excitement, the mystery, and the passion, I miss the small things like finding snakes and making a reptile room, I miss finding the silly hidden Easter eggs the team hid absolutely everywhere, I miss the fulfilling gameplay and the way the game managed to make even my micromanaged gameplay unpredictable and spontaneous. I had a meteor once hit my school and everyone inside died, it was wild, I was so scared and in shock and it was AMAZING! It was glorious, and one of my favorite memories from Sims 3.

I have a great imagination like I know most if not ALL sims players do. We are some of the most creative, artistic, and visionary people in gaming and I stand by that. Our community is filled with so much to be proud of because of the players and regardless of now litter we’ve been given we have managed to create amazing things, they can’t take that away from us... But this game relies far too heavily on what we can make up in our heads when it comes to gameplay and creation, and not what we can do and see on the screen. We shouldn’t need mods to tell our (pg13) stories, to fix the game, we shouldn’t have to beg for things that should have been in base game, and people have been begging for six years to this day. Some things we’ve gotten, and others we haven’t, others weren’t even acknowledged until just a few months ago, some things still aren’t. As for the way this game is going with its stories, I love the lore in this game, I wish we had more, but I want to play around it and choose to immerse myself in it, not be forced to play in it. Part of what I liked about world adventures was that I could take my family to Egypt, and never do a tomb if I didn’t want to and it was still rich gameplay for me. If I wanted to play an RPG I would. I play sims because it’s one of the very few games that allows me to explore a world and a life I create in my own mind.

I enjoy this game for what it is, but as I’ve said I see this series leaving me behind and that’s alright, I dont think this team has any intention of making Sims 4 into a fulfilling simulation game, for anyone not just reality players or occult player, I don’t believe that this game is up to par for any player... and I don’t have a lot of faith in Sims 5 either. I like many others don’t have much trust in the Sims team right now, and it is justified.

I also want to add that I love this series, and that’s why I’m so upset and just not happy with the direction we’ve been heading. Without getting too sappy or personal, the Sims was an escape for a lot of really heavy times in my life. I think one thing most of us if not all can all agree on, is that this series has impacted so many of us in a positive way and added a lot of happiness to our lives. And if this is the end of the series for me, at least I can say that I don’t feel like I wasted a single moment... except for the ones where the game crashed and I didn’t save after hours of work.

@Komura Can I just say that I really enjoyed your post and descriptions and to me it probably sums up how most players feel. I sooo wish I could single this post out and just anonymously send this to SimGuruLyndsey and let her read every word and feeling that you have as a sim player! It was said with so much passion and not ranting, it was really awesome!
    I remember I’m the sims 2 when I first played the Pleasants on launch day. The storyline where Daniel is cheating with the maid who’s name I can’t spell, and Mary Sue comes home because she’s been fired and it’s just gut wrenching and immersive. I had her kick his butt out of that house but the effects of his infidelity lingered with her and Lilith and Angela. I miss that, I miss when things that happened mattered and had an effect on our sims. I miss when my sim would miss their dead spouse, or when an ex lover would show up and it was tense as heck or passion ensued. I miss being immersed so much that hours passed until it was 6AM and I had to pee terribly, I miss the drama and spontaneous excitement, the mystery, and the passion, I miss the small things like finding snakes and making a reptile room, I miss finding the silly hidden Easter eggs the team hid absolutely everywhere, I miss the fulfilling gameplay and the way the game managed to make even my micromanaged gameplay unpredictable and spontaneous. I had a meteor once hit my school and everyone inside died, it was wild, I was so scared and in shock and it was AMAZING! It was glorious, and one of my favorite memories from Sims 3.

I have a great imagination like I know most if not ALL sims players do. We are some of the most creative, artistic, and visionary people in gaming and I stand by that. Our community is filled with so much to be proud of because of the players and regardless of now litter we’ve been given we have managed to create amazing things, they can’t take that away from us... But this game relies far too heavily on what we can make up in our heads when it comes to gameplay and creation, and not what we can do and see on the screen. We shouldn’t need mods to tell our (pg13) stories, to fix the game, we shouldn’t have to beg for things that should have been in base game, and people have been begging for six years to this day. Some things we’ve gotten, and others we haven’t, others weren’t even acknowledged until just a few months ago, some things still aren’t. As for the way this game is going with its stories, I love the lore in this game, I wish we had more, but I want to play around it and choose to immerse myself in it, not be forced to play in it. Part of what I liked about world adventures was that I could take my family to Egypt, and never do a tomb if I didn’t want to and it was still rich gameplay for me. If I wanted to play an RPG I would. I play sims because it’s one of the very few games that allows me to explore a world and a life I create in my own mind.

I enjoy this game for what it is, but as I’ve said I see this series leaving me behind and that’s alright, I dont think this team has any intention of making Sims 4 into a fulfilling simulation game, for anyone not just reality players or occult player, I don’t believe that this game is up to par for any player... and I don’t have a lot of faith in Sims 5 either. I like many others don’t have much trust in the Sims team right now, and it is justified.

I also want to add that I love this series, and that’s why I’m so upset and just not happy with the direction we’ve been heading. Without getting too sappy or personal, the Sims was an escape for a lot of really heavy times in my life. I think one thing most of us if not all can all agree on, is that this series has impacted so many of us in a positive way and added a lot of happiness to our lives. And if this is the end of the series for me, at least I can say that I don’t feel like I wasted a single moment... except for the ones where the game crashed and I didn’t save after hours of work.

@Komura Can I just say that I really enjoyed your post and descriptions and to me it probably sums up how most players feel. I sooo wish I could single this post out and just anonymously send this to SimGuruLyndsey and let her read every word and feeling that you have as a sim player! It was said with so much passion and not ranting, it was really awesome!

Aw thank you so much! That means a lot :smile:
    Yes, lot of content!

Clearly they lied.

Clearly they lied.

Interesting.

i’m glad you pointed it out that fewer traits is important to you - usually people want more, but there *are* people who want less and it’s good we acknowledge those players too

The Sims was more of a terrarium, but starting with The Sims 2 the series became more of a digital dollhouse. I'm fine with that, and since my playing has evolved to be more of that style I'm happy to get a lot of what I consider to be the vestigial remnant of terrarium-style play out of my way.

I look at traits like Evil. In both The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, all having the Evil trait meant is that your sim likes being mean to everyone and occasionally cackles. However, I think more interesting evil characters have more in common with Gustavo Fring than they do the Joker. In that sense, the trait is meaningless and I am happy to have it out of my way.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Interesting poll, although unfortunately I can’t choose the ‘Other’ option, because I have a list of things to mention about each category.

That being said, I feel this thread is getting unreasonably personal starting at the very first page, so I’m a little concerned about sharing the rest of my thoughts here. In fact, I won’t. But I do hope everyone else can enjoy an interesting discussion! :)
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Yes, lot of content!
    I enjoy playing the game where it stands right now--that's good enough for me.
    edited September 2020

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao
    Yes, lot of content!

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yes, lot of content!
    I genuinely have no complaints with the amount of content we have. I own all the expansions and there's still content I have yet to explore. I find the game to be fun with a lot to do, as of now my main complaint are the shallow sims. With that survey they sent out earlier this year I really am hoping for some substantial improvements to sims personalities before the sims 4 takes its final breath. I look forward to the future of the Sims 4, I really do believe that most of the communities highly requested features will find their way into the game at one point or another.
    edited September 2020

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.

i have to say i do find them saying it’s a soft reboot/alternate universe is a little lazy on them in terms of lore. even if people didn’t enjoy lore, some accuracies would be appreciated for those who do: such as Dina and Nina’s mother be Ni.G.hat (they censored her original name??) instead of Katrina. if they are trying to invite all the people to TS4, then invite them all, and not make up family trees that have been cemented
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I been disappointed with EA/Maxis for an long, long time now with the direction they have been going. Money has replaced dedication and commitment instead of combining all three.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen