Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years later: Are you happy with where TS4 is going?

Comments

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    No, they're lacking in depth
    After the sims 4 I'll be shifting my allegiance elsewhere. After 19 years of the sims, TS4 will be the last sims game I play.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes, lot of content!
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.

i have to say i do find them saying it’s a soft reboot/alternate universe is a little lazy on them in terms of lore. even if people didn’t enjoy lore, some accuracies would be appreciated for those who do: such as Dina and Nina’s mother be Ni.G.hat (they censored her original name??) instead of Katrina. if they are trying to invite all the people to TS4, then invite them all, and not make up family trees that have been cemented

I might have been bothered if The Sims had any semblance of story. "Mortimer is a buttoned-up, dour man who lives in a mansion with his smokin' hot party wife" is just a hook to get you playing. You write their story from that point out. If you don't like Katrina, three mouse clicks get rid of her permanently. I don't see it as an issue; I'm not particularly invested in the Caliente genealogy. If I were, and I wanted the previous matriarch, there's an easy fix for that too.

Nothings perfect, but we still have the tools to fix that sort of stuff to our liking.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    The patches have turned into comedy central. The family still has a object for a baby. The pool is still lacking things like a slide and a diving board not a platform. After 6 years we get a glow stick on a artificial world. Everything is great.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm still enjoying the game. I have an imaginative mind though so I don't always understand people's complaints about The Sims 4.

But all that imagination when playing TS4 is just in your mind - but you can actually see your imagination play out in TS2 and TS3. That's why people complain about TS4.

• fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    Oh God, no. I remember opening TS4 for the first time and not understanding why they stripped the game. I get not making it a clone of TS3 but the minimalist approach really caught me off guard.

That's exactly what SimGuruNinja said in a recent interview when asked why the storylines weren't as fleshed out as previous iterations. He basically stated something like "We decided to go in a more minimalistic approach to leave it up to the players to play their stories out"

(I posted the link to that interview on another thread, but I can't tell you which one it was now).

did they ever answer why dina and nina’s mother in TS4 was literally a made-up character that wasn’t in family trees before?? or that they insinuate in the bio for TS4 don and katrina are romantically involved but they’re not lol...this isn’t meant to be sassy i just feel the interview is out there and want to read it lmao

The minimal lore that exists for The Sims universe states that The Sims 4 is a soft reboot; an alternate universe. This Bella Goth never went missing. The Newbies have been split into both the Pancakes and the Newbies, Geoffrey Landgraab is a nice guy and the Caliente's mom lives with them.

i have to say i do find them saying it’s a soft reboot/alternate universe is a little lazy on them in terms of lore. even if people didn’t enjoy lore, some accuracies would be appreciated for those who do: such as Dina and Nina’s mother be Ni.G.hat (they censored her original name??) instead of Katrina. if they are trying to invite all the people to TS4, then invite them all, and not make up family trees that have been cemented

I might have been bothered if The Sims had any semblance of story. "Mortimer is a buttoned-up, dour man who lives in a mansion with his smokin' hot party wife" is just a hook to get you playing. You write their story from that point out. If you don't like Katrina, three mouse clicks get rid of her permanently. I don't see it as an issue; I'm not particularly invested in the Caliente genealogy. If I were, and I wanted the previous matriarch, there's an easy fix for that too.

Nothings perfect, but we still have the tools to fix that sort of stuff to our liking.

see the issue is you saying “*I* might have been bothered” the thing is some other people may have seen through discrepancies. saying if we don’t like Katrina we should just delete her completely disregards players who want a story to play within the Sims. the majority of players noticed these discrepancies and it seemed the Sims team did a cop-out by saying “this is an alternate universe :-)” there’s a happy medium between playing styles, and making up random sims (as in changing Dina and Nina’s mother) doesn’t add to any players play-style
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
    Yes, lot of content!

see the issue is you saying “*I* might have been bothered” the thing is some other people may have seen through discrepancies. saying if we don’t like Katrina we should just delete her completely disregards players who want a story to play within the Sims. the majority of players noticed these discrepancies and it seemed the Sims team did a cop-out by saying “this is an alternate universe :-)” there’s a happy medium between playing styles, and making up random sims (as in changing Dina and Nina’s mother) doesn’t add to any players play-style

Yeah, I'm talking about my personal opinion. I speak for myself, no other. I thought that's what we were doing here.
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I'm talking about my personal opinion. I speak for myself, no other. I thought that's what we were doing here.

i agree but if many people point out sims lore (such as the youtube channel simslore) then maybe they could’ve added some in the base game. for people like you, it doesn’t matter. but to do the bare minimum of following family trees, it shouldn’t be an issue
    Yes, lot of content!

i agree but if many people point out sims lore (such as the youtube channel simslore) then maybe they could’ve added some in the base game. for people like you, it doesn’t matter. but to do the bare minimum of following family trees shouldn’t be an issue

Sure. But I don't think it's a productive use of our time to try and pretend to speak for anyone else, if for no other reason that we're not going to convince each other to abandon our positions. All I did here was to tell you what I thought about The Sims 4 and why. It is not my intent, nor was it in any way implied that my way is the only way, or that it is the right way. As you indicated, my way is the objectively wrong way to enjoy The Sims.

Aside from sharing my personal views, I hope that they will illustrate also that people who like this iteration aren't a bunch of children who cannot fathom the past glories of The Sims games, nor are we a malignant other that has to be overcome in order to return the series to a state of purity. We're just people, many of whom have also played all of the games, who have a different opinion about a video game. If we can get past this, maybe this forum will be more of a discussion and less of a contest of wills.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yeah lot on content but less on features. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

i agree but if many people point out sims lore (such as the youtube channel simslore) then maybe they could’ve added some in the base game. for people like you, it doesn’t matter. but to do the bare minimum of following family trees shouldn’t be an issue

Sure. But I don't think it's a productive use of our time to try and pretend to speak for anyone else, if for no other reason that we're not going to convince each other to abandon our positions. All I did here was to tell you what I thought about The Sims 4 and why. It is not my intent, nor was it in any way implied that my way is the only way, or that it is the right way. As you indicated, my way is the objectively wrong way to enjoy The Sims.

Aside from sharing my personal views, I hope that they will illustrate also that people who like this iteration aren't a bunch of children who cannot fathom the past glories of The Sims games, nor are we a malignant other that has to be overcome in order to return the series to a state of purity. We're just people, many of whom have also played all of the games, who have a different opinion about a video game. If we can get past this, maybe this forum will be more of a discussion and less of a contest of wills.

i never indicated the way you play the sims is objectively wrong...that’s a weird accusation to make
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!

i never indicated the way you play the sims is objectively wrong...that’s a weird accusation to make

It's sarcasm. There is no wrong way to enjoy a video game. I made the remark because you started becoming a little confrontational when I explained what I thought about sims lore reboots, genealogy and CAS.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!
    I'm on board with the general concept of this iteration, less so with the execution. "Many packs" is definitely not my main criterion for liking Sims 4, just as "lacking depth" is not my main gripe (or even a gripe of mine at all - more like the opposite).

The current lack of quality control and bugfixing is alarming, and I'm also worried about their tentative attempts at re-introducing story progression in form of the visit mom & have a baby phonecalls, "neighbors" visiting with gifts and NAPs overriding autonomy off in unmodded games (I'm still not sure if that last one is a bug or intended, because they didn't fix it when they addressed the NAPs in the last or second to last patch). But I approve their choice of packs and features, so overall I'd say I'm leaning closer to "still happy" than "unhappy".
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    I played Crusader Kings 3 for the first time last night and within an hour my character:

1. seduced his sister-in-law
    2. found out she was pregnant
    3. disowned the child
    4. became the target of an assassination plot headed by his own cuckold brother.
    5. survived the assassination attempt
    6. was ultimately blinded and maimed in a duel with his brother, who was subsequently murdered by the sister-in-law (who literally went insane after my character disowned the child).

If the possibilities for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 happening were even close to this in TS4, I’d be so much more satisfied. And no, we don’t need murder in the game; we simply need more in the way of dynamic content.

It's sarcasm. There is no wrong way to enjoy a video game. I made the remark because you started becoming a little confrontational when I explained what I thought about sims lore reboots, genealogy and CAS.

lmao no i see maybe you’re a little *sensitive* but i see your point! my point was for people who care about lore and being consistent is Sims 4 isn’t about that, whatsoever. maybe be less sensitive in future posts bc we’re on the same wavelength :-)
    Yes, lot of content!
    So_Money wrote: »
    I played Crusader Kings 3 for the first time last night and within an hour my character:

1. seduced his sister-in-law
    2. found out she was pregnant
    3. disowned the child
    4. became the target of an assassination plot headed by his own cuckold brother.
    5. survived the assassination attempt
    6. was ultimately blinded and maimed in a duel with his brother, who was subsequently murdered by the sister-in-law (who literally went insane after my character disowned the child).

If the possibilities for 🌺🌺🌺🌺 happening were even close to this in TS4, I’d be so much more satisfied. And no, we don’t need murder in the game; we simply need more in the way of dynamic content.

CK3 serves as a good example of why I'm not really interested in a theoretical Sims 5. This would be the fourth time we've returned to the base game after The Sims 2 more or less codified The Sims experience. I finally get the game that I want and then I start all again. I don't think that I want to purchase what is in effect The Sims 2 for the fourth time either.
    Yes, lot of content!

lmao no i see maybe you’re a little *sensitive* but i see your point! my point was for people who care about lore and being consistent is Sims 4 isn’t about that, whatsoever. maybe be less sensitive in future posts bc we’re on the same wavelength :-)

I see we're not really going to continue this discussion in good faith. Pity, we almost had a breakthrough. Another time maybe.
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020

I found their comments to be a little sensitive too! I didn’t see anywhere where you were confrontational at all, I even went back and read all your comments and you didn’t seem to be the one with the issue at all. Not sure what that persons problem is.

I see we're not really going to continue this discussion in good faith. Pity, we almost had a breakthrough. Another time maybe.

i’m trying to talk through it but you want to throw words out such as saying i’m, “confrontational.” maybe in the future if you want to have a regular discussion try not to use such division bc i think we’re on the same page xx
    Yes, lot of content!

i’m trying to talk through it but you want to throw words out such as saying i’m, “confrontational.” maybe in the future if you want to have a regular discussion try not to use such division bc i think we’re on the same page xx

I think that I'm starting to understand you better.
    edited September 2020

i agree with you on lots of things, semantics is the issue. if this response from you is sarcasm, so be it. but if we understand each other in a good way, then i’m glad :-)
    Yes, lot of content!

i agree with you on lots of things, semantics is the issue. if this response from you is in a bad way, so be it. but if we understand each other in a good way, then i’m glad :-)

You don't understand what I meant by that.

Going forward, I think you'd be better served talking about what you like as opposed to remarks about not being able to discern the evidently highly esoteric Caliente genealogy. I've played the games, I know what it says. Those "discernment" remarks are intended to provoke. We're not going to convince each other of anything, nor is it my personal intent.

i agree with you on lots of things, semantics is the issue. if this response from you is in a bad way, so be it. but if we understand each other in a good way, then i’m glad :-)

Going forward, I think you'd be better served talking about what you like as opposed to remarks about not being able to discern the evidently highly esoteric Caliente genealogy. I've played the games, I know what it says. Those "discernment" remarks are intended to provoke. We're not going to convince each other of anything, nor is it my personal intent.

well the Caliente family is just one example of what i meant. there are many simmers who love the lore of the game, and the Sims 4 team has thrown that out the window. i don’t think it’s a good thing to discredit those criticisms just because someone doesn’t like Sims lore
    edited September 2020
    Yes, lot of content!

well the Caliente family is just one example of what i meant. there are many simmers who love the lore of the game, and the Sims 4 team has thrown that out the window. i don’t think it’s a good thing to discredit those criticisms just because someone doesn’t like Sims lore

I agree that discrediting criticism of those things is a bad thing, and if I ever do that then be sure to let me know. I haven't. I told you what I think and why I think it. Again, I speak for me alone. I have been repeatedly explicit about this. I have also never said that I "didn't like Sims lore". In fact, I offered no qualitative judgement -- and that has been consistent through my remarks.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Can't confirm as I'm waiting for more DLCs they could make
    Honestly, for me there times when I’m happy with what packs are offered because they add to my stories. But there also times when I look at a pack and wonder how did this get the green light.

I agree that discrediting criticism of those things is a bad thing, and if I ever do that then be sure to let me know. I haven't. I told you what I think and why I think it. Again, I speak for me alone. I have been repeatedly explicit about this. I have also never said that I "didn't like Sims lore". In fact, I offered no qualitative judgement -- and that has been consistent through my remarks.

i hope you take a step back and look at your responses to mine. you may not see yours as disconcerting and flippant, but they were. from saying i should just delete Katrina Caliente to telling me what *i* should talk about. i think we’re on the same side but your defensiveness derails that