March 27 - Click here for the last Friday Highlight of the month!

Stuff Pack vote - Theme and gameplay results!

Comments

  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 915 Member
    I still want to know what exactly Elders can't do in the game that younger sims can that's sparking all this "oh, now we have something for elders to do" nonsense.

    No one has yet to give me an answer that doesn't rely on stupid stereotypes and ageist prejudices. I mean, if you want your elders to be meek and quiet and just sit around knitting, that's fine. Do you. But the only thing I see lacking for elders in the game so far is suitably flattering non-skin revealing clothing... something I could see Helen Miren or Tina Turner wearing. Any other "lack" is only in the eye of the simmer.

    (and for the 3000th time, despite people posting multiple links and reference images - for those complaining about this being an "old people's pack" - Knitting is not just for old people! Just because you don't know anyone under 50 who knits doesn't mean we don't exist - several of us have spoken up in these threads, and we're not weird anomalies, no matter what you believe. You stop complaining about Knitting being just for old people, and I'll stop harping on how you're wrong, okay?)
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 343 Member
    edited November 2019
    Looking at all the happy comments about knitting and what these people expect I can only warn you: the higher your expectations, the worse the disappointment.

    There won't be a thousand different things your sims will knit. Maybe there will be a few options, just like with the handiness skill. But that's it. It's a SP. It's just knitting.

    I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremly high expectations won't be fullfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!" :D

    @Ceres_Meiriona A knitting death would be the only way to safe this SP :D

    And I will be right there with you yelling it. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a knitting death where the needles SOMEHOW SOMEWAY just end up...inside... your sim with low skill. Doubt it will happen, but it could make this pack slightly interesting.
  • Hobbitmama75Hobbitmama75 Posts: 72 Member
    I love the arts and crafts - it could go a hipster 'make your own living through making handmade items' way, and yes, diversify painting, or even better go the 'hobbies' way and instead of just having knitting, have all sorts of different hobbies - bands, art classes, drawing, sculpting, stained glass window making, glass blowing, (anyone seen Blown Away? Those guys are well 'ard!), candlemaking - which I know a modder has already done - but these are all things that would fit with hobbies. Musically, you could have bands, choirs, orchestras (although that would need to have more classical instruments added, which isn't likely). What we really need to go with all that though, is a trait and whim system where sims have preferences, dislikes, turn-ons and turn-offs, favourites, so that you can have a sim (of any age) that's into electronica and rock, but also loves gardening and crotchet. I HATE dancing, yet all my simself wants to do is dance to plummy stereos all the time, invariably to utterly rubbish music.
  • QueenarellaQueenarella Posts: 1,925 Member
    Looking at all the happy comments about knitting and what these people expect I can only warn you: the higher your expectations, the worse the disappointment.

    There won't be a thousand different things your sims will knit. Maybe there will be a few options, just like with the handiness skill. But that's it. It's a SP. It's just knitting.

    I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremly high expectations won't be fullfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!" :D

    @Ceres_Meiriona A knitting death would be the only way to safe this SP :D

    I'm one that is super happy about knitting. a grim reaper career is my very least choice and I'd never buy it haha.

    For knitting I'm hoping to see my sim with knitting needles and be able to build a skill, kinda like fitness or whatever, and that's what I'm excited about. Huge bonus if we can actually keep and or sell something we knit, like we can with books we write, but it's a stuff pack so I won't expect that. If being able to build a skill in knitting is extremely high expectations then so be it, haha! But I'd still prefer a knitting pack even if we can't and it's just CAS items that look like they were knit to anything related to Grim.

    My comment refers to all the comments about tons of stuff that could be done with knitting because I’m sure 99% of that won’t be a thing in the pack. My guess is that it turns out to be what you want: a skill. But that’s not what I addressed :)
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 249 Member
    edited November 2019
    @queenarella there is nothing wrong with anyone who list there expectations and hopes as in my hope for Farming--forums are a place for such post. I get this is a SP. Yet, your statement: "I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremely high expectations won't be fulfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!." I personally always hope for things and have never been disappointed with anything I've bought because my gameplay and expectations differ from the next Simmer as it should be. Thus, many Simmers would not be included under your category of "all the people." Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to. Anything that adds to my game always makes me a Happier Simmer!

    Happy.jpg
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 353 Member
    I get that people are disappointed because Happy Haunts has an intriguing and fun theme but...I think we kind of dodged a bullet because I feel like we don't need a stuff pack centered around the Sims 4 ghosts to be honest, they aren't really suited for this sort of pack (in my opinion that is). o:)
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 353 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    Izzabelle wrote: »
    ... so community pack 2 is essentially going to be Elder Stuff.

    It's what it should be called Old People Stuff

    TS4 Nursing Home Stuff.

    Elderly Love y'all <3
  • QueenarellaQueenarella Posts: 1,925 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    @queenarella there is nothing wrong with anyone who list there expectations and hopes as in my hope for Farming--forums are a place for such post. I get this is a SP. Yet, your statement: "I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremely high expectations won't be fulfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!." I personally always hope for things and have never been disappointed with anything I've bought because my gameplay and expectations differ from the next Simmer as it should be. Thus, many Simmers would not be included under your category of "all the people." Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to. Anything that adds to my game always makes me a Happier Simmer!

    Happy.jpg

    🤦🏻‍♀️ Look at the comments before my comment. All I say is that those expectations will most likely not be fulfilled. And the complaints will pile up again. Like with every pack.

    And my „yelling“ was meant as a joke. See the smiley. Don’t take everything personal as soon as you read it.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 249 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    @queenarella there is nothing wrong with anyone who list there expectations and hopes as in my hope for Farming--forums are a place for such post. I get this is a SP. Yet, your statement: "I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremely high expectations won't be fulfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!." I personally always hope for things and have never been disappointed with anything I've bought because my gameplay and expectations differ from the next Simmer as it should be. Thus, many Simmers would not be included under your category of "all the people." Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to. Anything that adds to my game always makes me a Happier Simmer!

    Happy.jpg

    🤦🏻‍♀️ Look at the comments before my comment. All I say is that those expectations will most likely not be fulfilled. And the complaints will pile up again. Like with every pack.

    And my „yelling“ was meant as a joke. See the smiley. Don’t take everything personal as soon as you read it.

    I didn't take it personally as you should not take my response personally either. See all my smiley faces. Happy Simming!
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 164 Member
    TardisWho wrote: »
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞

    I can bet you now only teens to elders will be able to knit and there will barely be any new clothes for children and toddlers, if any. I'd actually like a kids and elders game pack, with tons of new hobbies and clothing for toddlers, kids and elders (will likely never happen and if it does, it won't even include half the things I want). Babies still need an upgrade from being objects - I'd love a stuff pack for babies with cribs, rocking chairs, prams and more.

    Wait, did I read this right--you were expecting toddlers/children to be able to knit? I mean, there are probably very talented children out there, but... ??? :lol:

    ---

    I'm surprised people here seem to dislike their grandparents/older people so much. Is this like an American thing? If for anything else, I find the discussion about this pack very amusing. :lol:
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 915 Member
    nucleonide wrote: »
    TardisWho wrote: »
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞

    I can bet you now only teens to elders will be able to knit and there will barely be any new clothes for children and toddlers, if any. I'd actually like a kids and elders game pack, with tons of new hobbies and clothing for toddlers, kids and elders (will likely never happen and if it does, it won't even include half the things I want). Babies still need an upgrade from being objects - I'd love a stuff pack for babies with cribs, rocking chairs, prams and more.

    Wait, did I read this right--you were expecting toddlers/children to be able to knit? I mean, there are probably very talented children out there, but... ??? :lol:

    ---

    I'm surprised people here seem to dislike their grandparents/older people so much. Is this like an American thing? If for anything else, I find the discussion about this pack very amusing. :lol:

    I know 8-12 year olds who knit, so kids knitting isn't a ridiculous idea. I'm hoping that kids can learn to knit, even if they can't build the skill itself until they've mastered their motor or creativity skill.

    As for the elders, there are two problematic attitudes surfacing here. 1) "Yay! something for elders to do" implies that elders can't/shouldn't participate in all the activities actually available to teens through Elders within the game. and 2) "Knitting is something only boring old people do" which... yes, boring old people do knit, but they're not the only ones who knit and even old people can and do knit some pretty cool stuff. (I will give credence to the idea of watching someone knit is boring, though.)
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 152 Member
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Okay now. Even though I have no grand kids I'm old enough to be a granny. I'm the one who always votes for apocalyptic scenarios (I'm sorry but Strangerville doesn't count...it was pretty tame.) occults, criminal activities and zombies. Getting older doesn't mean you switch from true crime books to watching reruns of Disney cartoons. My Sim stories are soap opera drama, runaways, cops n' robbers and the apocalypse. I was truly disappointed I found out I couldn't have the strange walking Sims from Strangerville in other worlds.

    You can get possessed Sims in other worlds if you feed them a bizarre fruit.
  • February11February11 Posts: 9,253 Member
    At least that'll give the granny elders something to do on an evening - Knit!
    I THINK, THEREFORE I AM, I THINK

  • AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    hmm this should be interesting. knitting is not really my thing but who knows it could be something actually good.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 164 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I know 8-12 year olds who knit, so kids knitting isn't a ridiculous idea. I'm hoping that kids can learn to knit, even if they can't build the skill itself until they've mastered their motor or creativity skill.

    As for the elders, there are two problematic attitudes surfacing here. 1) "Yay! something for elders to do" implies that elders can't/shouldn't participate in all the activities actually available to teens through Elders within the game. and 2) "Knitting is something only boring old people do" which... yes, boring old people do knit, but they're not the only ones who knit and even old people can and do knit some pretty cool stuff. (I will give credence to the idea of watching someone knit is boring, though.)

    Knitting is just like any other creative activity anyway, so it shouldn't be limited to Elders only.

    I'm amenable to the idea of Children being able to knit by themselves, but I'm still ??? at Toddlers though. They don't have the fine motor skills required for it, else they hurt themselves from attempting to. A "Show/Teach Child Knitting" Adult/Elder-to-Child interaction where the child sits on the Adult/Elder's lap while knitting would be cute. :)
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • RouenpucelleRouenpucelle Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited November 2019
    Seriously, knitting won? I'm kind of surprised. Definitely not my top choice, although I'm sure I'll find some way to use it in my game.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • RouenpucelleRouenpucelle Posts: 1,235 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I still want to know what exactly Elders can't do in the game that younger sims can that's sparking all this "oh, now we have something for elders to do" nonsense.

    No one has yet to give me an answer that doesn't rely on stupid stereotypes and ageist prejudices. I mean, if you want your elders to be meek and quiet and just sit around knitting, that's fine. Do you. But the only thing I see lacking for elders in the game so far is suitably flattering non-skin revealing clothing... something I could see Helen Miren or Tina Turner wearing. Any other "lack" is only in the eye of the simmer.

    (and for the 3000th time, despite people posting multiple links and reference images - for those complaining about this being an "old people's pack" - Knitting is not just for old people! Just because you don't know anyone under 50 who knits doesn't mean we don't exist - several of us have spoken up in these threads, and we're not weird anomalies, no matter what you believe. You stop complaining about Knitting being just for old people, and I'll stop harping on how you're wrong, okay?)

    The only people I know who knit are under 50. The older people I know are all busy hiking, singing, and dancing. Stereotypes are funny. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 654 Member
    It's funny to me I love the everyday stuff the best in the game and the occult stuff second. Like it bothers me that I'll see a Witch or a Sim who is clearly a vampire in the game. Mermaids in my community pool etc. But at the same time I understand they are there because I bought the game. I absolutely love laundry. It's so simple and everyday life.

    ARTS AND CRAFTS was a hard pick for me because despite not caring too much for Occult/Supernatural in my games (unless it fits my story) HH sounded so awesome and unique.

    But I voted with my gut.

    We should be happy we get to voice our opinions for these kind of packs. Imagine if we got the same treatment for every pack. Imagine the kinds of things might get opposed to what the designers come up with.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 8,080 Member
    Aww, and I wanted my sim to help the Grim Reaper, I had my list made and everything. :D

    Seriously though, this was my second choice so it's okay, plus I saw A&C will have a pottery wheel, which I loved in Sims 3, I think. Anyhow, this will be a good choice in the long run, at least it will be easier to live off the grid this way. :)
    "Nothing stinks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you are wrong." :p
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 15,307 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Aww, and I wanted my sim to help the Grim Reaper, I had my list made and everything. :D

    Seriously though, this was my second choice so it's okay, plus I saw A&C will have a pottery wheel, which I loved in Sims 3, I think. Anyhow, this will be a good choice in the long run, at least it will be easier to live off the grid this way. :)

    A pottery wheel wasn't one of the choices. Unless you're referring to sculpting?

    Gameplay ranking for the winning theme:
    1) Knitting
    2) Sculpting
    3) Glass Fabrication
    4) Edible Art
    5) Embroidering

    “Master Knitting Skill and teach others. Create sweaters, hats, gloves, and slippers for the whole family. Have your Sims purchase patterns to knit toys and stuffed animals. ”
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 280 Member
    My vote did not won (ghostbusters), but .. no matter if the winning thing is A, B,C or D, it is always wrong anyway for many people :)
    Those who have seen your face, draw back in fear.
    I am the mask you wear, it's me they hear.
    My spirit and your voice, In one combined.
    The Phantom of the Opera is there... Inside your mind..
  • meraikameraika Posts: 16 Member
    I can't say I'm surprised by the amount of people in Facebook groups who were ECSTATIC about knitting and arts & crafts, but if I wanted to watch someone knit, I would just do it myself :/ I'd rather have some super cool tech stuff, but I suppose that will be on the horizon.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 5,271 Member
    Most entertaining thread I’ve read in some time. I love the discourse.
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,068 Member
    nucleonide wrote: »
    TardisWho wrote: »
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞

    I can bet you now only teens to elders will be able to knit and there will barely be any new clothes for children and toddlers, if any. I'd actually like a kids and elders game pack, with tons of new hobbies and clothing for toddlers, kids and elders (will likely never happen and if it does, it won't even include half the things I want). Babies still need an upgrade from being objects - I'd love a stuff pack for babies with cribs, rocking chairs, prams and more.

    Wait, did I read this right--you were expecting toddlers/children to be able to knit? I mean, there are probably very talented children out there, but... ??? :lol:

    ---

    I'm surprised people here seem to dislike their grandparents/older people so much. Is this like an American thing? If for anything else, I find the discussion about this pack very amusing. :lol:

    No, I definitely wasn't expecting toddlers and children to be able to knit. I was telling someone else who wanted them to be able to, that it's not going to happen. Children and toddlers are always left out these days when it comes to gameplay and clothing, which I'm kind of bummed about.

    I don't dislike my grandparents/older people, if you're referring to me and I'm not American. In fact, I love elders and I'm glad they're getting more stuff to do (as long as the whole pack doesn't just revolve around knitting).
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 64 Member
    It’s disappointing to see a variety of options that could have delivered deeper gameplay in a stuff pack narrowly edged out in favour of something that is mundane. Other people have different priorities in what sort of things they want in the game I guess.

    I see miniature painting (which is a hobby that I really enjoy and find very satisfying) equivalent to knitting. If it had been an option in the vote, I would not have voted for it, as much as I enjoy it in the real world. In my opinion, the Sims 4 is not really designed in a way that can take this sort of activity and create interesting gameplay for it.

    Beyond that, for me crafting in the game either helps provide a useful passive income (writing, painting, media production and gardening) or helps build a skill that can be usefully used elsewhere in the game (robotics, woodworking, archaeology and programming). Cloths have no monetary value in the Sims. I can’t think of any useful application for a knitting skill outside of knitting. There is a roleplay element to these sorts of activities as well (do you want your Sim a writer or painter or archaeologist?), but if you don’t have either, then it amounts to very shallow gameplay for me.

    Now if you could create your own cloths in CAS with colour wheel and design tools like the Sims 3 or cats and Dogs were enabled for knitting, my opinion would be different. But I really can’t see that happening because it’s a stuff pack, not a game pack. Additionally, lots of people would be justifiably upset if that sort of feature was only applied to knitware.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top