September 18 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Stuff Pack vote - Theme and gameplay results!

Comments

  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 125 Member
    I just hope that a line is not now drawn through everything else now that they have lost in the vote.

    The options for happy haunts evidently have support. Collectively the options for it could make a good game pack. ghost hunter and grim reaper are both active careers that I’d love to see, I could see a psychic career being interesting, more variety in the ghosts in the game would tie in well with ghost hunter and grim reaper careers.

    For children the STEM kits: science technology engineering and math objects (mental), lego style blocks (creativity) along with some items for motor and social skills could make a good foundation child focused game pack. After all, a common gripe with the game is that there is not enough for kids to do, so it would be addressing a weakness of the game.

    I’d also support adding the vegan trait to the game. Not because I’m personally interested in having it, but because it would be such a big deal for vegans. It is something that is central to who they are. I can appreciate what it would mean to these people, even if I’m not one of them.
  • nucleonidenucleonide Posts: 193 Member
    nucleonide wrote: »
    TardisWho wrote: »
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞

    I can bet you now only teens to elders will be able to knit and there will barely be any new clothes for children and toddlers, if any. I'd actually like a kids and elders game pack, with tons of new hobbies and clothing for toddlers, kids and elders (will likely never happen and if it does, it won't even include half the things I want). Babies still need an upgrade from being objects - I'd love a stuff pack for babies with cribs, rocking chairs, prams and more.

    Wait, did I read this right--you were expecting toddlers/children to be able to knit? I mean, there are probably very talented children out there, but... ??? :lol:

    ---

    I'm surprised people here seem to dislike their grandparents/older people so much. Is this like an American thing? If for anything else, I find the discussion about this pack very amusing. :lol:

    No, I definitely wasn't expecting toddlers and children to be able to knit. I was telling someone else who wanted them to be able to, that it's not going to happen. Children and toddlers are always left out these days when it comes to gameplay and clothing, which I'm kind of bummed about.

    I don't dislike my grandparents/older people, if you're referring to me and I'm not American. In fact, I love elders and I'm glad they're getting more stuff to do (as long as the whole pack doesn't just revolve around knitting).

    Then I misunderstood your original comment. Sorry about that. I think the closest thing for toddlers/children to be involved is through adults/elders teaching them about knitting.

    The second part about the grandparents wasn't directed at you; it's just the general vibe I got from the thread. Again, nothing serious, just found it amusing.
    Owns: (EPs) GTW, GT, CL, S, CD, GF, IL, EL / (GPs) SD, PH, JA, DO / (SPs) MHSP, BYSP, VGSP, BNSP, LDSP, MSP
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,375 Member
    It’s nice my sims can knit because I’ve wanted it past sim’s games. But going up against the fun sounding Happy Haunts, which I want even more!
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,431 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I still want to know what exactly Elders can't do in the game that younger sims can that's sparking all this "oh, now we have something for elders to do" nonsense.

    No one has yet to give me an answer that doesn't rely on stupid stereotypes and ageist prejudices. I mean, if you want your elders to be meek and quiet and just sit around knitting, that's fine. Do you. But the only thing I see lacking for elders in the game so far is suitably flattering non-skin revealing clothing... something I could see Helen Miren or Tina Turner wearing. Any other "lack" is only in the eye of the simmer.

    (and for the 3000th time, despite people posting multiple links and reference images - for those complaining about this being an "old people's pack" - Knitting is not just for old people! Just because you don't know anyone under 50 who knits doesn't mean we don't exist - several of us have spoken up in these threads, and we're not weird anomalies, no matter what you believe. You stop complaining about Knitting being just for old people, and I'll stop harping on how you're wrong, okay?)

    No, knitting is not just for old people. Knitting is for people with time on their hands - this includes waiting for buses and sitting on buses. I started to learn crocheting once while under-employed, but never got past daisy chains before I got busy again at work. However, knitting fits the "old people" stereotype because it is not a strenuous activity. It is also a traditional female activity - homemakers used to, and still do, knit. I was slightly interested in knitting as a tween because I learned I could make doll clothes that way. I even received a kit or two as a present when I was a tween with plastic doll head and styrofoam doll body to create doll clothes for. It is also possible to make dolls with knitting/crochet if you have sufficient talent. It used to be that this kind of handmade gift from a grandmother to a granddaughter was a prized treasure. A friend once also knit me a winter cap. The fact that knitting is a traditionally female activity is probably what is turning some males who play the game off, along with possibly some third wave feminists.

    There ARE other options for arts and crafts besides knitting as well. There is quilting, pottery, and many of the other options discussed as pack options. However, knitting won - probably because it opens new CAS possibilities.

    I disagree that none of the previously considered pack options from previous pack votes have never been considered/added to the game: Jungle Adventure certainly had a danger element to it. Of course I am disappointed we cannot just do everything in one go. But from my knowledge of programming from when I took some programming courses 25 years ago, as well as my experience in corporate business environments, I realize the options are limited. Talking to my relatives over Thanksgiving dinner, a relative who does programming for a living says that art and animation are usually the most expensive part of game development. From my experience attempting to program sprites in BASIC when I was about 14, I can believe it.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 213 Member
    Knitting stuff? Interesting! Maybe my long-anticipated and long-hoped-for Elders rework could get rolled into it!
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2019
    Glad the theme won, however I was hoping pottery or glass fab would have taken the lead. These ideas (most of them) will hopefully find their way into future packs. Also, how much of the result of this vote is an indictment on the neglect shown to hobbies/elderly folks in the game...
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,431 Member
    coogee78 wrote: »
    It’s disappointing to see a variety of options that could have delivered deeper gameplay in a stuff pack narrowly edged out in favour of something that is mundane. Other people have different priorities in what sort of things they want in the game I guess.

    I see miniature painting (which is a hobby that I really enjoy and find very satisfying) equivalent to knitting. If it had been an option in the vote, I would not have voted for it, as much as I enjoy it in the real world. In my opinion, the Sims 4 is not really designed in a way that can take this sort of activity and create interesting gameplay for it.

    Beyond that, for me crafting in the game either helps provide a useful passive income (writing, painting, media production and gardening) or helps build a skill that can be usefully used elsewhere in the game (robotics, woodworking, archaeology and programming). Cloths have no monetary value in the Sims. I can’t think of any useful application for a knitting skill outside of knitting. There is a roleplay element to these sorts of activities as well (do you want your Sim a writer or painter or archaeologist?), but if you don’t have either, then it amounts to very shallow gameplay for me.

    Now if you could create your own cloths in CAS with colour wheel and design tools like the Sims 3 or cats and Dogs were enabled for knitting, my opinion would be different. But I really can’t see that happening because it’s a stuff pack, not a game pack. Additionally, lots of people would be justifiably upset if that sort of feature was only applied to knitware.

    There are lots of possibilities that could involve miniature painting - Tabletop roleplaying, for one. Tabletop role playing often involves painting your own miniature gamepieces. Some tabletop role playing games actually have tournament requirements that the miniatures be painted a certain specific way, and sometimes they will change the required paint scheme from year to year. Of course, if it is not a tournament, the paint job can be used to deliberately distract other players - like painting a war machine miniature bright neon pink for instance so that the enemy team will focus their attacks on it.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,669 Member
    Well, I guess that's $9.99 I don't have to worry about spending.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 727 Member
    Have some people been doing nothing with their elders that they are excited they can now knit? I have an elder astronaut that's going to university to learn more about the aliens he's met via courses in Biology, I have an elder secret agent who got fired and started up a bakery store, I have an elder retired athlete who has taken up beekeeping and flower arranging, I have an elder fantasy novel writer who is swiftly gaining fame from her book sales. The list goes on.
  • purpleponchettepurpleponchette Posts: 1 New Member
    Is it possible to see the theme contents mentioned in the Surveymonkey poll anywhere? I want to refresh my memory of what each theme involved rather than just their titles.
  • RetroidRetroid Posts: 17 Member
    :D lol oh dear, who the hell voted for that? It was my last choice. Forget having your own ghostbuster or VR gaming set up, what we really need is more elderly grandmas in their knitting circles to brighten up our game :D oh well i'll probably end up getting it when its on sale, too much of a completionist not to... Plus there'll probably be some random CC that uses some mesh from the pack :p
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 17,586 Member
    @purpleponchette here are the five themes.

    IGTUXIq.png

    G6WrLYZ.png

    RojLNzt.png

    Ap9jHqL.png

    mZVbx9b.png
    If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 2,977 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Aww, and I wanted my sim to help the Grim Reaper, I had my list made and everything. :D

    Seriously though, this was my second choice so it's okay, plus I saw A&C will have a pottery wheel, which I loved in Sims 3, I think. Anyhow, this will be a good choice in the long run, at least it will be easier to live off the grid this way. :)

    A pottery wheel wasn't one of the choices. Unless you're referring to sculpting?

    Gameplay ranking for the winning theme:
    1) Knitting
    2) Sculpting
    3) Glass Fabrication
    4) Edible Art
    5) Embroidering

    “Master Knitting Skill and teach others. Create sweaters, hats, gloves, and slippers for the whole family. Have your Sims purchase patterns to knit toys and stuffed animals. ”

    Pottery wheel was one of the choices on the ballot they gave us. I'm disappointed that they changed it to sculpting.
  • NoirranNoirran Posts: 393 Member
    I never saw any option to vote anywhere. I would not have voted for...knitting over gameplay.
  • RetroidRetroid Posts: 17 Member
    @Noirran not sure 4 anyone else but a link for the voting popped up 4 me on the main menu screen of s4. Im assuming you need s4 vanilla start screen without mods to see relevant pop ups.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,584 Member
    Noirran wrote: »
    I never saw any option to vote anywhere. I would not have voted for...knitting over gameplay.

    I'm with you. The only way I even knew about this was that I caught a random tweet after the voting was over. We get little notice banners at the top of our page for everything else. Was one there for this vote because if there was I missed it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 521 Member
    Wow, this pack sounds almost as exciting as watching paint dry.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,584 Member
    Retroid wrote: »
    @Noirran not sure 4 anyone else but a link for the voting popped up 4 me on the main menu screen of s4. Im assuming you need s4 vanilla start screen without mods to see relevant pop ups.

    That's why I didn't see it. I've been playing TS3 for the past few weeks.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 650 Member
    cool, i can dig it
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Aww, and I wanted my sim to help the Grim Reaper, I had my list made and everything. :D

    Seriously though, this was my second choice so it's okay, plus I saw A&C will have a pottery wheel, which I loved in Sims 3, I think. Anyhow, this will be a good choice in the long run, at least it will be easier to live off the grid this way. :)

    A pottery wheel wasn't one of the choices. Unless you're referring to sculpting?

    Gameplay ranking for the winning theme:
    1) Knitting
    2) Sculpting
    3) Glass Fabrication
    4) Edible Art
    5) Embroidering

    “Master Knitting Skill and teach others. Create sweaters, hats, gloves, and slippers for the whole family. Have your Sims purchase patterns to knit toys and stuffed animals. ”

    Pottery wheel was one of the choices on the ballot they gave us. I'm disappointed that they changed it to sculpting.

    they didn't change it, it's sculpting with the pottery wheel. the pottery wheel was the significant gameplay item.
    63e46bf788258ca739aaf9cd6716c5538c625388.png
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

  • xamira99xamira99 Posts: 3,001 Member
    Oh...
    And now here is my secret, a very simple secret...
    giphy.gif
    Follow me on twitter, xamira99 Gallery/OID : xamira99



  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 17,586 Member
    @EA_Mai posted a thread about the community stuff pack on November 12, a week before voting commenced. There was also a banner notice.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968737/community-voted-stuff-pack-lets-do-this-again/p1
    If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.
  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 125 Member
    > @SimsILikeSims said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > There are lots of possibilities that could involve miniature painting - Tabletop roleplaying, for one. Tabletop role playing often involves painting your own miniature gamepieces. Some tabletop role playing games actually have tournament requirements that the miniatures be painted a certain specific way, and sometimes they will change the required paint scheme from year to year. Of course, if it is not a tournament, the paint job can be used to deliberately distract other players - like painting a war machine miniature bright neon pink for instance so that the enemy team will focus their attacks on it.

    I actually started miniature painting because of a tabletop game. While I find that idea interesting, tabletop gaming isn't an art or a craft, so it couldn't be included in this pack. Even if it was in line with the packs theme I still think I'd put careers that are different to anything in the game and more skill building stuff for kids to do ahead of it.

    If you look at size of the chess pieces, which are about as small as items get in the game, there is not really much more detail that you could add to them with the games design being as it is. I think animating painting something that small would be very, very hard. A sim controlling knitting needles would be pretty similar challenge.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,584 Member
    coogee78 wrote: »
    > @SimsILikeSims said:
    > (Quote)


    If you look at size of the chess pieces, which are about as small as items get in the game, there is not really much more detail that you could add to them with the games design being as it is. I think animating painting something that small would be very, very hard. A sim controlling knitting needles would be pretty similar challenge.

    I'm not sure people should expect a complicated animation for knitting. Harvesting a garden is accomplished by an arm wave.

    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 1,512 Member
    coogee78 wrote: »
    > @SimsILikeSims said:
    > (Quote)


    If you look at size of the chess pieces, which are about as small as items get in the game, there is not really much more detail that you could add to them with the games design being as it is. I think animating painting something that small would be very, very hard. A sim controlling knitting needles would be pretty similar challenge.

    I'm not sure people should expect a complicated animation for knitting. Harvesting a garden is accomplished by an arm wave.

    The animation exists in DU already (part of the Yarn Bomb prank)

    I'm hoping this means they can use the resources they'd otherwise have to put towards animation towards expanding the coding of what we can create with knitting and making it even more expandable by modders.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top