Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Pack vote - Theme and gameplay results!

Comments

• MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    Disappointing, but not surprising.

I do find this result (and the previous community vote) interesting, however, as it shows how a game like the Sims allows people to play in very different ways. I like to play games to escape reality, but others like to recreate it.

I hope all the knitting fans enjoy this pack :) - but I will forever mourn the Grim Reaper career, which hath itself been reaped. :'(
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Weird, the top picks are my votes, too. I didn't think I agreed with the TS4 part of the community. o:)

I could sense it coming though and I know others agree with me about this theme and more. o:)

Finally, something for elders and people complain. :/

I'm only complaining about people putting elders in boxes, considering they're not locked out of any other activity in the Sims. I'd rather this pack not be elder-centric, but failing that (as I expect to do) I want fun ageing hippy elders.

I was only responding to the amusing irony of the community chanting, "stuff for elders!" Then the consensus being, "aww a granny pack." It's funny.

Your complaints were separate to me because IMHO the *stuff for elders* crowd was putting them in boxes and I never really agreed there's a problem with elders, but I observe and comment. :Do:) Basically, you complained about some of the complainers (not the vote result). :)

I'd rather a mix and options, openness. Technophobe, stereotypical elders and everything else under the sun. We don't really have elders that represent many simmers' own grandparents, and I think we should have flexibility and retro inclusions, not all future-current-future. As a generational game, it'd be nice to have generational variety and be able to start off more retro, but TS4 doesn't flex much in that or other areas.

Ah. Cool.

And I forget that I grew up in a tech-savvy household (my dad was a programmer/system's analyst. I was playing on dummy mainframe accounts well before Apple made their deal with schools in the 80's.) so I have skewed ideas of what's "normal" for grandparents to know - since I'm comparing elders to my parents, rather than my grandparents.

yeah not everyone has the same grandparents, they differ and i get that you don't want them in stereotypical boxes. but my grandma is that stereotypical grandma, she crochets (doesn't knit, but you know its in the same ballpark lol) i have a blanket, a hat, and a backpack from her she made for me when i was a kid. they were parents in the 60-70s and they were hugely into running and doing a family band (im assuming since this was the time that jackson five existed it stemmed from that) as hobbies, so they were definitely there in that same scene you're talking about. i get it, they're dynamic and varied people, i would just like to have more assets that are stereotypical cause we don't have a whole lot of that. we could always get more modern stuff that elders can still use in other packs, i've certainly been able to make those elder sims you're talking about before but making the stereotypical one is a bit harder without heavy re-use of the same objects over and over again.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Knitting. Really? You DO realize that nothing our Sims knit in the game will actually be USABLE, right? Take a look at Sims 2: They had sewing machines, and could make different things, but all of those things were just deco. At least Sculpting in Sims 3 created usable objects, as does the woodworking in Sims 4. But knitting? Unless the Sims are simply creating things from CAS, it's pointless. And since we can always ADD outfits to the Sims in CAS, why bother with knitting them? It's just adding an extra mechanic to things that modders are going to find ways to get around.

Actually, it wasn't all just deco in TS2. Sims who were skilled at sewing could create unique wearable non-CAS outfits, and I could have sworn there was a toy for children as well... But sewing was just one of the activities that came with Free Time, not the focus of the pack, so with knitting being the main feature now, and probably coming with a full skill of its own, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the feature will be more in-depth this time.

Embroidery was my first choice (we'd have been able to make some pretty things for the walls), but knitting was second.

I honestly have no idea what the difference is... *hides*
  • TardisWhoTardisWho Posts: 2 New Member
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    [quote="elanorbreton;c-17328903"][quote="SimGuruNinja;c-17328589"]Say hello to your new KNITTING STUFF PACK!
    [/quote]
    Why are people expecting more than knitting in this pack?
    [/quote]

Compared with the amount of choice available in packs for the Sims 1 and 2, it does feel at times like the amount of creative opportunities (for us players of the game, not for sims themselves) included in packs is being thinned down.
    For me, because of limits on time to play, computer hard drive space and budget, I only tend to buy a pack if I know I will use most of the contents on a frequent basis. If this answer to this is no then for me the pack is not financially viable. That said, I still really enjoy playing Sims 4.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    I'm hoping my sims can sell their knits, like in a new job. And I hope it's not going to be the only craft. It won't be an elder doing this, because they are too busy making robots. As a grandma myself the stereotype of a knitting, baking, wise old woman is just an old out-of-date stereotype.

Same. I'm a brand new grandma! And I definitely don't want overstuffed chintzy furniture and everything covered in doilles. 😄
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm worried because they changed pottery wheel to sculpting. I was really looking forward to the pottery wheel. I'll probably still get the pack, especially if your children and toddlers can get some new sweaters from it. And socks. I knit myself, and my husband loves his warm wool socks.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I like how, whenever a community vote arises, all simmers pass their laptops to their grannies!

Okay now. Even though I have no grand kids I'm old enough to be a granny. I'm the one who always votes for apocalyptic scenarios (I'm sorry but Strangerville doesn't count...it was pretty tame.) occults, criminal activities and zombies. Getting older doesn't mean you switch from true crime books to watching reruns of Disney cartoons. My Sim stories are soap opera drama, runaways, cops n' robbers and the apocalypse. I was truly disappointed I found out I couldn't have the strange walking Sims from Strangerville in other worlds.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    I wanted Happy Haunts to win, but at least we'll have a hobby that doesn't involve technology.

Here's hoping we get knitted scarves in CAS. We really need more accessory diversity.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Looking at all the happy comments about knitting and what these people expect I can only warn you: the higher your expectations, the worse the disappointment.

There won't be a thousand different things your sims will knit. Maybe there will be a few options, just like with the handiness skill. But that's it. It's a SP. It's just knitting.

I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremly high expectations won't be fullfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!" :D

@Ceres_Meiriona A knitting death would be the only way to safe this SP :D

Yep...agree 100%...
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited November 2019
    TardisWho wrote: »
    Super excited that Arts & Crafts is the winner. I hope children to elders will be able to do hobbies. Knitting 🧶 is not just for Grandma 👵.
    Also, could Happy Haunts become a GP and we finally get WEREWOLVES? Fingers crossed 🤞

I can bet you now only teens to elders will be able to knit and there will barely be any new clothes for children and toddlers, if any. I'd actually like a kids and elders game pack, with tons of new hobbies and clothing for toddlers, kids and elders (will likely never happen and if it does, it won't even include half the things I want). Babies still need an upgrade from being objects - I'd love a stuff pack for babies with cribs, rocking chairs, prams and more.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2019
    So disappointing. Knitting a jumper instead of a seance. How adventurous.
    Like okay, Arts&Crafts, not my choice but could see some play in glass crafts or others, we get "old people stuff" that'll be in the unpurchased list next to Moschino.

It's giving me PTSD from the day laundry was voted in. :D
  • druttilurdruttilur Posts: 40 Member
    Nine times out of ten I’d vote for any supernatural pack. But this time...
    The thought of having my powerful witch creating a coven dedicated to knitting, while discussing world dominion. Or my grandmaster vampire in desperate need of making a hat protecting her from the sun(I never use the sunproof trait B)). But being a novice knitter, every stitch is a matter of life or death. Will this stitch be the fatal failure that stabs her and ends her life?

Oh, the possibilities... I admit, I’m a supernatural player who voted for knitting.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Knitting...? Seriously?

Then again Im not surprised. After laundry day and now knitting I can already see a trend of the most mundane ideas chosen for future voting on stuff packs. What's next? Lets vote for a "Doing Taxes" SP?

This is already something Ill get if I can get it for under $3 and Im bored.

Don't give them any ideas.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member

Maybe this will jazz up knitting a bit! Wartime Spies who used Knitting as an Espionage Tool article:
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-wartime-spies-who-used-knitting-as-an-espionage-tool?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    They should include a Oujia board, then let us knit our own Ouija board cozy. Also, let us knit skin or a scarf to keep the Grim Reaper warm.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I consider myself a Supernatural Family player, so I prioritized my vote based on which packs looked like they had the most I would want to work with. Arts and Crafts and Science & Technology were each 5 for 5. Happy Haunts was 3 for 5 (and the Grim Reaper career was not one of them. Sorry guys, just not my bag. Fun Tech and Healthy living were each 2 for 5) and much as I love tech, I also love crafty stuff.

I do get that the animation for knitting isn't exactly exciting, but at least the animation for knitting already exists in DU, so they can hopefully spend the resources they'd normally spend on new animation for something else... such as some other craft (I'd hope for embroidery/needlepoint and turn this into a fabric arts pack, but that ended up low on the list) or more patterns for CAS items.

I'm expecting knitting to unlock CAS patterns/items, possibly just recolors of existing base game CAS assets. I'll be happy with that.
    edited November 2019
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    So disappointing. Knitting a jumper instead of a seance. How adventurous.
    Like okay, Arts&Crafts, not my choice but could see some play in glass crafts or others, we get "old people stuff" that'll be in the unpurchased list next to Moschino.

It's giving me PTSD from the day laundry was voted in. :D

Old people stuff? 😄

https://www.knitcrate.com/blogs/tumblr/celebrities-who-knit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/melmagazine.com/en-us/story/the-mma-fighter-who-knits-before-every-bout/amp

https://www.ilikeknitting.com/daily/previews/knits-happening-why-knitting-is-hip-again/

https://blog.anthonythomas.com/knitting-and-crochet-today-statistics-trends-and-more
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Looking at all the happy comments about knitting and what these people expect I can only warn you: the higher your expectations, the worse the disappointment.

There won't be a thousand different things your sims will knit. Maybe there will be a few options, just like with the handiness skill. But that's it. It's a SP. It's just knitting.

I can already see all the people who are cheering now complaining or being down because their extremly high expectations won't be fullfilled. And then I will be there. And yell "YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED GRIM REAPER FREELANCE CAREER!" :D

@Ceres_Meiriona A knitting death would be the only way to safe this SP :D

I'm one that is super happy about knitting. a grim reaper career is my very least choice and I'd never buy it haha.

For knitting I'm hoping to see my sim with knitting needles and be able to build a skill, kinda like fitness or whatever, and that's what I'm excited about. Huge bonus if we can actually keep and or sell something we knit, like we can with books we write, but it's a stuff pack so I won't expect that. If being able to build a skill in knitting is extremely high expectations then so be it, haha! But I'd still prefer a knitting pack even if we can't and it's just CAS items that look like they were knit to anything related to Grim.
  • crashdodgerscrashdodgers Posts: 61 Member
    Once again I find that EA has gone ahead with a new community stuff pack and failed to fully inform the whole community about this until it has been deciding as to which stuff pack EA realy wants or should I say has already started working on again!
    edited November 2019
    Once again I find that EA has gone ahead with a new community stuff pack and failed to fully inform the whole community about this until it has been deciding as to which stuff pack EA realy wants or should I say has already started working on again!

I thought the community voted? As for already started working on I believe the voting for additional features will continue until April 2020.

ETA: You can check this thread for additional information on upcoming voting.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/969573/community-voted-stuff-pack-2-information-and-useful-links#latest

• LameBabeLameBabe Posts: 49 Member
    Honestly, at first I was underwhelmed by the concept, but then I remembered when we voted laundry, and how amazing that turned out!

Also I hope this is an opportunity to enhance gampeplay for Elder Sims? Fingers crossed!
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Izzabelle wrote: »
    I voted Happy Haunts. I was ok with the idea of Arts & Crafts winning because it had some interesting options in it like Sculpting and Glassblowing. You know. Stuff that could actually round out a lot of different KINDS of artists. More interesting art studios. Not a total reliance on painting/painting stuff. But knitting?

Laundry Day all over again.

The worst part is not that Happy Haunts lost though. The worst part is that I have *0* faith we'll see any of the losing packs' gameplay features. Ever. I'm still waiting for the gameplay from Danger, Arcade, and Wedding Stuff. Its been YEARS since that stuff got voted out, and aside from a few concept things and clothes; nothing has made its way back into the game gameplay-wise and certainly not anything so interesting that you could say, for example, "Yes! Arcade Stuff! Finally!". And we were placated the same way then as we are now; "Just because x-pack didn't win, doesn't mean we won't bring it back later". So essentially, aside from Arts & Crafts; literally all associated content with all the losing packs is dead. Aside from maybe tiny microscopes and telescopes -- those two are essentially a functional need as opposed to a random interesting feature -- those will probably still make it into the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Another thought; It seems like everyone who went hard on A&C and Knitting did so because they wanted an Elder activity. So its a safe bet that now that Knitting is in, the same crowd is gonna go hard on Elder-oriented styles and options in all the rest of the votes... so community pack 2 is essentially going to be Elder Stuff.

It's what it should be called Old People Stuff
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    Izzabelle wrote: »
    I voted Happy Haunts. I was ok with the idea of Arts & Crafts winning because it had some interesting options in it like Sculpting and Glassblowing. You know. Stuff that could actually round out a lot of different KINDS of artists. More interesting art studios. Not a total reliance on painting/painting stuff. But knitting?

Laundry Day all over again.

The worst part is not that Happy Haunts lost though. The worst part is that I have *0* faith we'll see any of the losing packs' gameplay features. Ever. I'm still waiting for the gameplay from Danger, Arcade, and Wedding Stuff. Its been YEARS since that stuff got voted out, and aside from a few concept things and clothes; nothing has made its way back into the game gameplay-wise and certainly not anything so interesting that you could say, for example, "Yes! Arcade Stuff! Finally!". And we were placated the same way then as we are now; "Just because x-pack didn't win, doesn't mean we won't bring it back later". So essentially, aside from Arts & Crafts; literally all associated content with all the losing packs is dead. Aside from maybe tiny microscopes and telescopes -- those two are essentially a functional need as opposed to a random interesting feature -- those will probably still make it into the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Another thought; It seems like everyone who went hard on A&C and Knitting did so because they wanted an Elder activity. So its a safe bet that now that Knitting is in, the same crowd is gonna go hard on Elder-oriented styles and options in all the rest of the votes... so community pack 2 is essentially going to be Elder Stuff.

It's what it should be called Old People Stuff

TS4 Nursing Home Stuff.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Yay.

Now the real struggle begins - fighting this becoming a stereotypical grandma pack. Seriously, I'm begging people, no lacy doilies, no chintz, no polyester pantsuits, and for the love of the Watchers no taupe.

You'll pay $10 for a granny pack and you'll like it ;)

Just think....they could add a new "Bingo parlor" venue. Though having a "holiday bazaar" event would be fun. More stuff to make and sell - and new CAS stuff! Ugly holiday sweaters! Also, maybe dolls and dolly clothes. Besides, its not like the elders have much to do in the game right now anyway.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top