Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Do you use mods in your game? Discuss.

CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
I'm an on and off player and I have been for years. When I played Sims 2 and 3, I was modded to the hilt. But in Sims 4, I started playing mostly mod-free for a few reasons:
One, broken mods left irritating glitches for me to view in the character creation and I -hated- it. My OCD was TRIGGERED. (It’s a pain to seek out a destroy when you have a lot of aesthetic mods!)
Second, after an update, I've had my game crashed and buggy. With more than a few mods, finding the culprit(s)- it’s a whole thing. (Maybe there's an easy way I don't know about?)
Third, there's the fear of contracting a web disease. I do not want to deal with viruses, malware, etc. so I'm a little shy about downloads. I've had ugly experiences in the past. Now that I have a computer that I really care about, I'm very wary. (Yes, I have ad-block. Yes, I have good security software. Maybe I'm being paranoid? I dunno, I'm hoping you guys will tell me!)

It wasn’t a tough switch to make. After playing with so many mods for so long, initially, it was actually very refreshing to switch back to a simpler experience and enjoy the game in its basic, true form. And, once I began creating…well, I like for things to look like they go together. I’m kind of all-or-nothing that way; what I start with I tend to stick with. So, no mods in 4 for me.

That is until recently… I had another one of my long breaks only to return and start playing regularly again. (Like I do.) This time, I started dabbling in the occult! Ψ(`∀´ )ノ This led me to dl MC Command in order to copy/paste appearances, I needed to get my aliens' disguises to generally be a close variation of their actual appearance. (I investigated thoroughly first. Srsly, am I paranoid?) I quickly found that it added a lot of control and POWAH!...*cough*...I mean, power... to my game. I started to remember what I liked about mods in Sims 2 and 3.

TLDR: I'm feeling mod-curious again! I've seen some pretty cool stuff on YouTube and I'd like to safely experiment, and maybe start a whole new world with a completely different look and feel. I'd love to get advice from current players who are more experienced with what's out there right now. Will you help me out?

SO... what’s your style? And, if you don’t mind, please comment about what you personally recommend. Which sites do you think are the best? Are they free? Are they safe?

(PS. I posted this to general discussion rather than to the mods threads on purpose. I want the feedback of the general pop.)

EDIT: Please consider the second option to just read "Quality of Life". I wish I could take out the phrase, "cheating at cheating" in retrospect. I think that's kind of a dirty word to a lot of people and doesn't reflect their intentions. Unfortunately, I can't edit the poll questions. So, just roll with me on this! Using the game to conveniently progress aging or adjust relationships etc to fit the needs of your story is what I'd call quality of life. Also, anything that makes the game run more smoothly.
6qrDi11.png
Post edited by CandiGir1 on

Poll: Do you use mods in your game? Discuss. 169 votes

All kinds and always! The crazier the better! And, I wouldn't play Sims without them.
28%
tams2578IceyJkeekee53MeteoraStormPaigeisin5SlayeurTownsekojranagothprincess4evertaydevpsychoticaBabykittyjadeZeldaboy180Jultan3MoonfoxNightcrywormstache999DevilNDisguiseEmo-usagi2187Sims4MagicalTalesryttu3ksillyangel0906 48 votes
I use quality-of-life mods. Give me what I want and give it to me fast. Basically, I'm cheating at cheating and I love it!
21%
GalacticGaljeepjeepcatAlexaiColorist40BreeNillaMizz_TriceyMariefoxprice83friendlysimmersWyrrengoodcakebaker62ldmarkoNoTalentFroilpapertonguekayen_keagenbixterscatitude5Winifred_WillowAngelEb95mlhewett 36 votes
Yes, but only for aesthetics. Variety is the spice of life and I can't get enough options for hair, clothes, makeup, and furniture!
10%
overonjonilla1PlayerSinger2010candy8Scarbo27KalaniCoolkatka_kynclovadigger28HollyHanoXxAirixXChadSims2BerryCharmingMHsimsFanWeirdAlienpoltergeistheauxfinityjuliesaaanchez 17 votes
Sometimes, of and on, but mostly I play #NOCC.
15%
CorkysPetalsIrdiwengingsnapfruitsbasket101HannaZojaLustianiciaduhboy2u2halloweenchildorangehippogriffannaliese39CandiGir1Deadtech5ValmontHermitgirlLilMsMystic160SuperCoolRachaelMolnarAtreya33NorthDakotaGamerPeppermix 26 votes
Mods? Please. I'm a purist!
24%
Nh6650IdontrcallUzone27IcewolfTWSimGamer82Mi9shaoscarWritin_RegSimburianelanorbretonTiipiimock68AquariusMomJACKIEJOYemereDragonAge_300905WolfNateSweetieWright_84SelinaKylesAlbaWaterhousefiercephoenix91 42 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I play with mods sometimes when I get bored
    but I also try to stay with mods and creators I am familiar with
    and mods I can easily uninstall if it stops working without messing up the whole save

cc doesn't really interest me because I'm tired of managing it and also would prefer maxis match anyway if i did
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    All kinds and always! The crazier the better! And, I wouldn't play Sims without them.
    Mods and custom content are addictive for me. To the point that even if my pc crash and burns I will not play without them. Before I knew better I got viruses and everything from shady sites. Had to factory reset, lost a lot of things on my pc and yet I still cant stop seeking and downloading. I don't have any specific sites I just google. I really like lanacc though.

More so than mods I'm all about the cc because I'm not much of a live player. I feel like the sims4 is missing too much gameplay and is too childish in a lot of ways. I get bored. I felt ROM was really aiming for the kids more than any other pack but that's another discussion.

But with cc, tons of poses and imagination I'm able to create my dream fantasy world.
    I'm a writer in the middle of a novel so the sims 4 due to the amazing visual aspects, has turned into my story writing playground. I play like 70% imagination and the rest live mode. I use cc to create my story characters and fantasy words/battles as well as sweet family play.

One thing I can reccomend if you are a fantasy player is natalia Auditore cc.
    MCC command has changed my sims lives. I use it to slow down time and needs decay mostly. And cheat relationships.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Oh and yes. I feel you on the pain of seeking and destroying bad cc. But addition is real. Lol :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I play with mods sometimes when I get bored
    but I also try to stay with mods and creators I am familiar with
    and mods I can easily uninstall if it stops working without messing up the whole save

cc doesn't really interest me because I'm tired of managing it and also would prefer maxis match anyway if i did

This sounds very familiar! I can relate.
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    No I don't.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don’t know what to choose. I can’t live without MCCC so I cant choose the final two options but but I wouldn’t say that MCCC is a “crazy” mod or that I am “cheating”. I mostly use MCCC for story progression. Can’t choose the third option either as I don’t use CC.
  • Options
    Mods and custom content are addictive for me. To the point that even if my pc crash and burns I will not play without them. Before I knew better I got viruses and everything from shady sites. Had to factory reset, lost a lot of things on my pc and yet I still cant stop seeking and downloading. I don't have any specific sites I just google. I really like lanacc though.
    That virus situation is something I can relate to and something that I don't want to re-live!

Sounds like you have a whole process that feeds your creative muse @Babykittyjade. Very cool. Also, thanks for the tip with lanacc and natalia Auditore cc. :)
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    I don’t know what to choose. I can’t live without MCCC so I cant choose the final two options but but I wouldn’t say that MCCC is a “crazy” mod or that I am “cheating”. I mostly use MCCC for story progression. Can’t choose the third option either as I don’t use CC.

Sounds like the third option is you. # No CC That's cool, that's what I chose as well.
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    The poll options available don’t really describe my situation. I use quality of life mods, yes, but also mods that fix certain issues with the game, offer more control and customization over the game, and a small amount of Maxis match CC that has to meet the highest standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    The poll options available don’t really describe my situation. I use quality of life mods, yes, but also mods that fix certain issues with the game, offer more control and customization over the game, and a small amount of Maxis match CC that has to meet the highest standards.

I'd call that "quality of life". I think I'll take out the phrase, "cheating at cheating". I think that's kind of a dirty word to a lot of people and doesn't reflect their intentions. OFF TO EDIT!

Edit: Or not. It won't allow me to change the poll itself, only my description. Sorry about that.
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited October 2019
    I wouldn't use these words, but whatever... I don't use mods. I don't need them, I like Sims 4 the way it is.
    I also wouldn't have time to fiddle with broken mods after every update or take any risks of corrupting my game or my computer.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I use a few tuning mods, to make thinks like grabbing a glass of water or using the bar to make drinks less obsessively compelling to my Sims, but that's about it. I did not see a good response to represent my limited usage.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I use quality-of-life mods. Give me what I want and give it to me fast. Basically, I'm cheating at cheating and I love it!
    I use a handful of script mods. Not for cheating gameplay but to have more options/control of what happens in my game.
    The main mod I use is MC command centre. In addition I currently use two mods that prevent premades turning into spellcasters and one that hides the lot trait fx, which is a purely cosmetic mod.
    I did use NPC control for a short time but stopped using it for the time being.
    I also have teleport any sim and pose player in my mods folder by default but I rarely use poses anymore.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I'm kind of between the first two.
    A lot of my mods are to give me more control over the game like MC Command Center, but I also use mods to enhance game features like making spells more potent. I also use a lot of CAS CC, but stay away from BB CC as I tend not to build.

I'd try the Mod The Sims website as they are a safe place to download mods.
    And this is where I find most of my CC these days: https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com/navigation
  • Options
    I'm kind of between the first two.
    A lot of my mods are to give me more control over the game like MC Command Center, but I also use mods to enhance game features like making spells more potent. I also use a lot of CAS CC, but stay away from BB CC as I tend not to build.

I'd try the Mod The Sims website as they are a safe place to download mods.
    And this is where I find most of my CC these days: https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com/navigation

Thank you for the advice. I was really hoping to get some direction like this. Much appreciated!
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I would of chose the QoL mods, the sort of stuff that takes away some of the fantasy elements, like you are playing with barbie dolls in a safe controlled setting. It isn't for me, i prefer some realistic options and mods are the only way forwards away from that setting. I use MCCC religiously, it is a no brainer when it comes to unlocking features thare ordinary locked away. i use other mods which i'm not allowed to mention. i will say that they offer anotomically correct features and other things that you'd experience in real life, sort of stuff that keeps you grounded in the real.

Occasionally i might get into CC stuff, but more often than not i avoid those cc things, it's just more trouble than it is worth going to TSR, and i'm no fan of their censoring of users because they don't accept to cookies when attempting to download something, i like their lack of free search feature even less.

The reason i didn't choose option two was this comment about cheating and having it all quickly. on the contrary, i chose to set my game speed slowly and sim lifespans in the base game to long. I prefer the long game, i always have.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I'm not necessarily a purist per se, I just can't be bothered to update mods when we get new game updates. I may venture into mods and cc when everyone has moved onto Sims 5. That's what I did for TS3. I have used the UI Cheats Extension mod, and I liked it but, again, I'm just too lazy to keep up :D.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Yes, but only for aesthetics. Variety is the spice of life and I can't get enough options for hair, clothes, makeup, and furniture!
    I'm VERY particular about using mods and CC since I had a very bad experience with it during TS2. I love MCCC for the story progression - I hated when sims would just die off and all of the families died out.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited October 2019
    I need mods to play the game - would absolutely intolerable to play without them. And I'm a cc junkie - however it's maxis match only. Been using mods since sims 2 - I had way too much mods for Sims 2; I wish that game was 64 bit so I could really go crazy.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Mod of the mods I have is cc that allows me to make sims look like how I want them, characters (both characters I made and like), etc...as a lot of what I use probably won't ever be in game. We finally got some gothic outfits with Realm of Magic; but there is only so many choices without cc. Also most cc don't really break and when there are problems, are easy to fix with Sims 4 Studio or finding the mesh if needed. So all in all, they less of an issue and not cheating.

I sometimes use other mods to test them out and see what they do to the game; but most I take out eventually as too many game changing mods break, slow the game down and just corrupts the game at times so I am picky about which mods I leave in. I usually just keep in MCCC as we still don't have a story progression so it is probably the closest we are going to get.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I wasn't entirely sure how to vote. I love crazy cosmetic custom content, like kaleidoscopic flared-leg pants and horns and wings and everything else. I use a handful of non-cosmetic mods, but I'm very careful about what mods I install. I really don't want to change game play too much. And I have never installed any custom poses.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes I play with mods but all the ones that I have are a necessity in order for me to enjoy the game. They mostly just fix bugs and horrible design choices such as the awful situational outfits, whiny pets that can't learn not to be scared of things and sims being to happy all the time.

I also have some custom CAS content but it is very limited maxis match items that I will only use from certain creators.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    My Sim is currently the hero that San Myshuno needs.
    5JSyNT0.png
    And this wouldn't be possible without the Wonderful World of Sims Mods.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited October 2019
    Hmm, I am not sure where I fit. I use MCCC, but NOT for story progression. I use it to take excess accessories off of townies, to get random sims off my lawn, and sometimes to cheat skills and careers when I want to create a developed character for a story I'm telling myself (like someone's grandparents, for instance).

I do use UI Cheats extension when I am in 8 Sim hell and don't want to shower and potty everyone. I never use it for hunger, sleep, etc.

I use Zerbu's Go to School mod to follow kids and teens to school when I want. I use Meaningful Stories to make my Sims behave more realistically.

Beyond that I mostly use mods to fix bugs and fine tune things I think should be in the game anyway. I use people I trust like Bienchen, Little Ms. Sam, Zero, and Icemunmun. It used to be just a few, but ROM has changed that a bit. I probably have twice as many now.

I use very little cc and only when I want something specific. I don't go cc shopping. But I looked for smaller versions of the telescope and microscope, an upright piano, Simlish versions of in game shirts, a few specific hairstyles, a witch hat, and all the Pottermore stuff.
  • Options
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Mod of the mods I have is cc that allows me to make sims look like how I want them, characters (both characters I made and like), etc...as a lot of what I use probably won't ever be in game. We finally got some gothic outfits with Realm of Magic; but there is only so many choices without cc. Also most cc don't really break and when there are problems, are easy to fix with Sims 4 Studio or finding the mesh if needed. So all in all, they less of an issue and not cheating.

I sometimes use other mods to test them out and see what they do to the game; but most I take out eventually as too many game changing mods break, slow the game down and just corrupts the game at times so I am picky about which mods I leave in. I usually just keep in MCCC as we still don't have a story progression so it is probably the closest we are going to get.

I actually wasn't aware of Sims 4 Studio. I'd seen it referred to, but didn't realize what it does. This is a big tip for me and I appreciate it! I've played for a long time, but I have never tried to be active on the forums until recently. I'm realizing now how helpful they can be. Thank you!
    6qrDi11.png