Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I believe this game is superior to TS1, 2 & 3. And i want this game to be completed, i want it to have everything the old ones had, but with the way this one implements those topics, such as moods, in-house gameplay style, new worlds, etc.
    I love how this game developed itself quite differently to the previous ones, and im happy with how its looking for now. Hopefully we'll get many more EPs, GPs, and SPs before it ends. Farming, University, TimeTravelling, The beach, maybe even a few more patches with new ages like pre-teen, or more playability for babies so that they are not just an object in a crib. I feel like Maxis knows what they're doing, and I can't wait for all the new content that's right around the corner. :smiley:

I really really enjoy sims 4. In fact other than Sims 2, it is the only Sims game that I have loved. And even sims 2, pales in comparison, for me. I can play for hours :)@ClassicSims And ive been playing sims for many years now.

Here's another example of TS4 fans being vague again about what makes TS4 superior or so much fun that they can play it for hours over the previous iterations. Will you both please explain specific things about TS4 that are so superior or much more fun than TS1, TS2 or TS3? Since you started the comparisons, you should be specific, like fans of TS1, TS2 and TS3 can for their games. If you really do play the game and love it like you say, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, how exactly do you play TS4 "for hours"??? What's there to do in the entire game that you can play it for hours at a time???

Why should we? Is this an examination that we get a passmark for?

Maybe it is just because it is more enjoyable?.

I feel things were taken a bit defensive here. Personally, I'm truly curious about others opinions on how they feel TS4 is exceptionally better than previous iterations, especially TS2 because of all of the features added in comparison and I say this with the upmost respect. If someone asked me why I feel TS2 is superior to other iterations then I would simply give my opinion because regardless of those who disagree or agree with me my opinion stays the same. Its mainly to do with my play style and what I find personally enjoyable. I thought that's what these forums were about? Some people genuinely want to know what your opinion is and why because maybe they're trying to see it from your perspective? Or maybe thats just me idk.

Let me also add I can technically "Play" the sims 4 for hours because I enjoy renovating the games lots and spend a lot of time in CAS. As far as Live mode it varies. It depends on how patient I am with the game before the bugs and glitches get on my nerves and it depends on how long my save stays fresh until it starts "slowing down". A fresh save always runs best but I have never been able to keep a legacy save and imho that stinks. However, I think the biggest issue that keeps me from really enjoying the game is the lack of differences in each sim and the fact that story progression is... odd and rotational is also odd.

I wasn't comparing Sims 4 to any other iteration as I have played all 4 from 2001 and have all packs and expansions of each end and enjoyed and struggled with each of them but I do enjoy playing Sims 4, OK?

I love constructing houses and families and filling the entire worlds with them, with them interacting with one another.

It has never crashed for me either, which Sims 3 still did when I tried it again recently.

You don't have to explain to me why you like playing TS4. I enjoyed some of it, too. I liked they were more fluid and talked to each other more often or easier than in the older games. I will give it that much credit. However, after awhile (when the new wore off) I noticed this is all superficial. And what I call 'filler time'. Fillers are things they do in order to make up for lack of gameplay. My own description and term.

For instance, they don't need social but they keep searching out someone to speak with at the oddest times. Like when they need to use the bathroom, or eat, or should be comforting a child hiding in their bed. Or should be crying over a dead loved one, but nope, they step around that Sim to go talk to someone passing by or get up from the dinner table to go talk to someone upstairs or to simply wave to a Sim who is now six miles down the street. All these games have annoying things Sims do. I won't ever deny that, but TS4 Sims seem to me to be the most shallow Sims I have ever encountered.

Other examples of bad implementation is GTW where they should be working at the hospital but that nurse is just standing around gabbing for no apparent reasons (she/he doesn't even need social contact) but should be taking patients to their beds, or cleaning up (orderly) messes. But too busy trying to interrupt my Sim who needs to cure a few.

Other bad implementations are when the Sim's social is full but they need to leave the dinner table to go sit on a bed next to a Sim. Stalker syndrome is more than I can stand in the game some times. And what's worse the Sim is a loner...I can't get past bad coding like that.

Yes, I had a few laughs in TS4 and some good times, but not when my most evil Sim should have wanted to do something evil to their enemy but was wishing to talk, joke, hug, be friends with their enemy. Voodoo doll, useless. I wanted to see someone zapped, hexed. But instead the hexed Sim laughs, tickle a Sim isn't my idea of voodoo. I'm not five. I wanted to see the Sim running through the house screaming omg, I've been hexed! In hysterics.

Things have went down hill from there, more superficial gameplay and more filler time. I'm not up for more collecting, more foods at kiosks that adds nothing to gameplay, and more linear play or more tasks to fill aspirations. Though this game could use twenty more by this point in time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »

Then surely you can have no issue answering as to how or why?
    I love The Sims 2 over all other iterations due to
    1. Relying on personality points rather than traits, making for more varied and better balanced sims.
    2. For having the fastest running time in any Sims game, making for swift generational change and making you play against the clock a little bit if you have specific goals in mind to achieve.
    3. For family play that seems most fleshed out. Children seem to have more interactions with toddlers and each other than in other games.
    4. I LOVED the memory system of the game!
    5. I LOVED the story telling tool that they've implemented into it. Where you could take pictures and write full chapters? I remember loving reading some very creative stories on TheSims2 site.

Some of these points are shared with The sims 1, but unlike The Sims 1, The Sims 2 has aging and teraforming and world building and other improvements that carried over to other iterations. It is the iteration that had the most innovation while still keeping the most freedom.

I've just been reading this and I'm also someone who prefers Sims 4. Some of it is for reasons you like Sims 2. I like the trait systems, I don't like the Sims 2 UI. Sims 4 Sims fast enough of a challenge as it is, since I normally tend to play with a household full of Toddlers and I want everyone to Max every skill so even long life-span I have trouble getting stuff done LOL. I don't enjoy it in Sims 2 it feels like a time management game sometimes. Plus I don't like the graphics and Graphics are more important than anything else when I play a game to be honest okay. I love just immersing myself in beautiful world's and I create all my Sims I don't use townies, I like them to look a certain way and sims 2 just couldn't do that. My Sims are mostly created after characters in stories every time, and it drives me nuts in Sims 2 when they don't look the way I picture them. As far as memories I don't really care. They just aren't that important to me. Honestly I think the issue is that it's a matter of taste, and asking someone to describe why they like it better is often the same as asking them to describe why they prefer vanilla over chocolate or vice versa. It's just a matter of taste and they prefer Sims 4.

Also the Sims 4 gallery makes us game for me, because I absolutely hate the building aspect of Sims LOL and this way I can have nice beautiful houses that other people have made haha
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,922 Member

1. Relying on personality points rather than traits, making for more varied and better balanced sims.
    2. For having the fastest running time in any Sims game, making for swift generational change and making you play against the clock a little bit if you have specific goals in mind to achieve.
    3. For family play that seems most fleshed out. Children seem to have more interactions with toddlers and each other than in other games.
    5. I LOVED the story telling tool that they've implemented into it. Where you could take pictures and write full chapters? I remember loving reading some very creative stories on TheSims2 site.

Some of these points are shared with The sims 1, but unlike The Sims 1, The Sims 2 has aging and teraforming and world building and other improvements that carried over to other iterations. It is the iteration that had the most innovation while still keeping the most freedom.

I've just been reading this and I'm also someone who prefers Sims 4. Some of it is for reasons you like Sims 2. I like the trait systems, I don't like the Sims 2 UI. Sims 4 Sims fast enough of a challenge as it is, since I normally tend to play with a household full of Toddlers and I want everyone to Max every skill so even long life-span I have trouble getting stuff done LOL. I don't enjoy it in Sims 2 it feels like a time management game sometimes. Plus I don't like the graphics and Graphics are more important than anything else when I play a game to be honest okay. I love just immersing myself in beautiful world's and I create all my Sims I don't use townies, I like them to look a certain way and sims 2 just couldn't do that. My Sims are mostly created after characters in stories every time, and it drives me nuts in Sims 2 when they don't look the way I picture them. As far as memories I don't really care. They just aren't that important to me. Honestly I think the issue is that it's a matter of taste, and asking someone to describe why they like it better is often the same as asking them to describe why they prefer vanilla over chocolate or vice versa. It's just a matter of taste and they prefer Sims 4.

Also the Sims 4 gallery makes us game for me, because I absolutely hate the building aspect of Sims LOL and this way I can have nice beautiful houses that other people have made haha

It is just a matter of taste, I agree. Sorry I didn't see the previous post. I think I must have put them on Ignore sometime.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

we are in a vanilla versus chocolate thread essentially though. My point simply was that if you have a preference of a single iteration over others, then surely you know exactly why. And I think that original poster that couldn't understand why he has to know why was feeling bit attacked. Which is not the point of asking, I think. I think people are genuinely curious. :)

• Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member

Well considering TS2 was and is technically considered a "strategic life simulation video game" (from Wiki), I'd say that definitely falls under time-management. And actually, now I think about it and if I'm not mistaken, I think that was one of the main things Will Wright wanted to highlight in the series. I remember one of my favorite interviews I saw with him was of him describing how he came up with the idea for The Sims; iirc, he was explaining how he was trying to come up with a fun game that would be centered around building, when his family's home burned down in a fire, and they had to literally build their lives again from the ground up, re-buying everything from toothbrushes to kitchen appliances, and it hit him that, 'Hey this could be an interesting idea for a game' and thus, The Sims series was born, and in Will Wright's mind, the idea was to build your Sims' lives from the ground up, doing your best to get them to a successful state before their time is up (aka before they die). So, yeah, I think it was meant to be time-management lol

With all that said though, anyone and everyone's favorite iteration really boils down to personal preference, whether that be preference of animations, interactions, build/buy mode, CAS, the sims themselves, etc etc etc. I don't believe anyone truly meant any disrespect in asking why/what it is you prefer about TS4, I know I myself am with the others who are genuinely (and respectfully) curious to know your perspective on it. I mean, this forum is titled "Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 At Four Years Old" and the clear discussion going on here is why we do or don't need another three years through personal opinions, and I would assume that's why others would ask you to elaborate on your opinion rather than just pop in on a TS2 forum just to say, "TS4 is better," and leave it at that. (And to be clear, I'm not trying to say you or anyone else has said this exactly, just using it as a general example.) There's no reason for anyone to get or feel defensive about their opinion, even if another person tries to "attack" you for it, that's that other person's problem. We, here, on the TS2 side of the forums are really really passionate about the game itself, sometimes even too much lol but because we're so passionate, we don't understand something as mundane as, "TS4 is better cause graphics," (again, just a general example). We want to truly understand why others are passionate about TS4, or at least I do, lol. We urge you to join in our discussion, we're all connected through our Simming, but please don't get discouraged or defensive just because we ask you to share your opinion in more detail, we just wanna know more. :heart:
    The world is quiet here
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,922 Member
    edited May 2019
    SeloBee wrote: »

Well considering TS2 was and is technically considered a "strategic life simulation video game" (from Wiki), I'd say that definitely falls under time-management. And actually, now I think about it and if I'm not mistaken, I think that was one of the main things Will Wright wanted to highlight in the series. I remember one of my favorite interviews I saw with him was of him describing how he came up with the idea for The Sims; iirc, he was explaining how he was trying to come up with a fun game that would be centered around building, when his family's home burned down in a fire, and they had to literally build their lives again from the ground up, re-buying everything from toothbrushes to kitchen appliances, and it hit him that, 'Hey this could be an interesting idea for a game' and thus, The Sims series was born, and in Will Wright's mind, the idea was to build your Sims' lives from the ground up, doing your best to get them to a successful state before their time is up (aka before they die). So, yeah, I think it was meant to be time-management lol

With all that said though, anyone and everyone's favorite iteration really boils down to personal preference, whether that be preference of animations, interactions, build/buy mode, CAS, the sims themselves, etc etc etc. I don't believe anyone truly meant any disrespect in asking why/what it is you prefer about TS4, I know I myself am with the others who are genuinely (and respectfully) curious to know your perspective on it. I mean, this forum is titled "Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 At Four Years Old" and the clear discussion going on here is why we do or don't need another three years through personal opinions, and I would assume that's why others would ask you to elaborate on your opinion rather than just pop in on a TS2 forum just to say, "TS4 is better," and leave it at that. (And to be clear, I'm not trying to say you or anyone else has said this exactly, just using it as a general example.) There's no reason for anyone to get or feel defensive about their opinion, even if another person tries to "attack" you for it, that's that other person's problem. We, here, on the TS2 side of the forums are really really passionate about the game itself, sometimes even too much lol but because we're so passionate, we don't understand something as mundane as, "TS4 is better cause graphics," (again, just a general example). We want to truly understand why others are passionate about TS4, or at least I do, lol. We urge you to join in our discussion, we're all connected through our Simming, but please don't get discouraged or defensive just because we ask you to share your opinion in more detail, we just wanna know more. :heart:

I enjoyed The Sims which amazed me when it started and Sims 2 in it's time then moved on to Sims 3 and didn't enjoy it so much, I still have the last two on my laptop but now enjoy Sims 4 whilst it lasts and haven't tired of it yet. There's no comparison involved for me. They are all different and enjoyable for different reasons.

I ranted like mad about Sims 3 problems on the forums for about a year as I remember. What will be will be and if you don't play Sims 4 I'm not interested. It's just that the counter arguments are always so long! <3
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    :D Im amused :D There's not a single reason why I or anyone else should explain to you why we enjoy Sims 4 <3 We are commenting because we disagree with the post. But that does not invite you to confront anyone because we find sims 4 better. You find sims 3 better and I really dont care. But you seem insulted that some find Sims 4 better and thats your problem, not mine <3 Im playing my game right now. It's much more fun than pointless arguing with people who somehow, oddly believe , they deserve an answer for others likes and dislikes @ClarionOfJoy

Absolutely true, you shouldn’t (in general, everybody is entitled to their own preferences), but apart from the fact it kind of is the subject of the topic, I don’t think that was the point here. The point is, that most here would love to love Sims 4 and speaking for myself, sometimes I genuinely wonder what I’m missing, what I’m not seeing. But the arguments, if given, mainly seem to come down to graphics and performance. And CAS. Which is fine, obviously. It’s not insulting, but also not very convincing when you want to be convinced. You obviously approach it from your perspective, but so are we.

There is no reason to try to convince you of anything. But if you're really just dying to know Sims 3's strong points are create a style and open world. The sims themselves are dreadful. I don't like them and that is the most important part of a sims game, not 1000 different patterns @JoAnne65 . I don't see what some others see when they think about how great sims 3 is in live mode. But yet I dont ask them to convince me :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You summed it up very well @SimAlexandria <3 Matter of taste. Sims 4 suits my tastes. Its like asking someone why they like Pizza more than Hamburgers . Or why they like horror more than romantic comedies. Because we're not all alike.

As for the actual characters themselves, for me personally, these are the best Sims we've ever had. I like them. And it is very important for me to like them.

I also agree with you very much on the graphics. It is very important that I enjoy them, because it lends itself to the entire aura of the environment. The environment will make me love the game even more , as i become immersed. And Sims 4 is so vibrant.

I honestly could go on further, but dont need to :)

I do not favor the UI, art style, or sims in the previous version. Not even from the start.
  • Options

It is just a matter of taste, I agree. Sorry I didn't see the previous post. I think I must have put them on Ignore sometime.

I did too :D
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I believe this game is superior to TS1, 2 & 3. And i want this game to be completed, i want it to have everything the old ones had, but with the way this one implements those topics, such as moods, in-house gameplay style, new worlds, etc.
    I love how this game developed itself quite differently to the previous ones, and im happy with how its looking for now. Hopefully we'll get many more EPs, GPs, and SPs before it ends. Farming, University, TimeTravelling, The beach, maybe even a few more patches with new ages like pre-teen, or more playability for babies so that they are not just an object in a crib. I feel like Maxis knows what they're doing, and I can't wait for all the new content that's right around the corner. :smiley:

I really really enjoy sims 4. In fact other than Sims 2, it is the only Sims game that I have loved. And even sims 2, pales in comparison, for me. I can play for hours :)@ClassicSims And ive been playing sims for many years now.

Here's another example of TS4 fans being vague again about what makes TS4 superior or so much fun that they can play it for hours over the previous iterations. Will you both please explain specific things about TS4 that are so superior or much more fun than TS1, TS2 or TS3? Since you started the comparisons, you should be specific, like fans of TS1, TS2 and TS3 can for their games. If you really do play the game and love it like you say, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, how exactly do you play TS4 "for hours"??? What's there to do in the entire game that you can play it for hours at a time???

I feel things were taken a bit defensive here. Personally, I'm truly curious about others opinions on how they feel TS4 is exceptionally better than previous iterations, especially TS2 because of all of the features added in comparison and I say this with the upmost respect. If someone asked me why I feel TS2 is superior to other iterations then I would simply give my opinion because regardless of those who disagree or agree with me my opinion stays the same. Its mainly to do with my play style and what I find personally enjoyable. I thought that's what these forums were about? Some people genuinely want to know what your opinion is and why because maybe they're trying to see it from your perspective? Or maybe thats just me idk.

Let me also add I can technically "Play" the sims 4 for hours because I enjoy renovating the games lots and spend a lot of time in CAS. As far as Live mode it varies. It depends on how patient I am with the game before the bugs and glitches get on my nerves and it depends on how long my save stays fresh until it starts "slowing down". A fresh save always runs best but I have never been able to keep a legacy save and imho that stinks. However, I think the biggest issue that keeps me from really enjoying the game is the lack of differences in each sim and the fact that story progression is... odd and rotational is also odd.

I wasn't comparing Sims 4 to any other iteration as I have played all 4 from 2001 and have all packs and expansions of each end and enjoyed and struggled with each of them but I do enjoy playing Sims 4, OK?

I love constructing houses and families and filling the entire worlds with them, with them interacting with one another.

It has never crashed for me either, which Sims 3 still did when I tried it again recently.

My apologies I wasn't referring to you when I was referring to a comparison. There was another simmer who posted something similar and mentioned the comparison and I should have just tagged them in my reply, but I was on my phone at the time and doing so is not so easy. And you have every right to feel that way, about the game. I wasn't trying to offend you just say some people are curious to why others really like the sims 4. As far as the sims 3 crashing if you're curious to get it to stop it has to with Windows 10 and excluding the game from The Data Execution program. If you're interested I could link you to the site that helped me. because I was ready to quit playing the game as it would crash on me often.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    The basic were not properly done at its core, all other packs is just another way to distract us from looking at things intellectually.

The graphic things is just another 'pretty face' that we are all so drawn to on a superficial level.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

You don't have to explain to me why you like playing TS4. I enjoyed some of it, too. I liked they were more fluid and talked to each other more often or easier than in the older games. I will give it that much credit. However, after awhile (when the new wore off) I noticed this is all superficial. And what I call 'filler time'. Fillers are things they do in order to make up for lack of gameplay. My own description and term.

For instance, they don't need social but they keep searching out someone to speak with at the oddest times. Like when they need to use the bathroom, or eat, or should be comforting a child hiding in their bed. Or should be crying over a dead loved one, but nope, they step around that Sim to go talk to someone passing by or get up from the dinner table to go talk to someone upstairs or to simply wave to a Sim who is now six miles down the street. All these games have annoying things Sims do. I won't ever deny that, but TS4 Sims seem to me to be the most shallow Sims I have ever encountered.

Other examples of bad implementation is GTW where they should be working at the hospital but that nurse is just standing around gabbing for no apparent reasons (she/he doesn't even need social contact) but should be taking patients to their beds, or cleaning up (orderly) messes. But too busy trying to interrupt my Sim who needs to cure a few.

Other bad implementations are when the Sim's social is full but they need to leave the dinner table to go sit on a bed next to a Sim. Stalker syndrome is more than I can stand in the game some times. And what's worse the Sim is a loner...I can't get past bad coding like that.

Yes, I had a few laughs in TS4 and some good times, but not when my most evil Sim should have wanted to do something evil to their enemy but was wishing to talk, joke, hug, be friends with their enemy. Voodoo doll, useless. I wanted to see someone zapped, hexed. But instead the hexed Sim laughs, tickle a Sim isn't my idea of voodoo. I'm not five. I wanted to see the Sim running through the house screaming omg, I've been hexed! In hysterics.

Things have went down hill from there, more superficial gameplay and more filler time. I'm not up for more collecting, more foods at kiosks that adds nothing to gameplay, and more linear play or more tasks to fill aspirations. Though this game could use twenty more by this point in time.
    I think the misinterpretation here is that people feel they have to ‘prove’ they love Sims 4. Afaic: no. If you say you do I immediately believe you do, obviously, because why else would someone say so. That wouldn’t make any sense so that’s not the issue here. The motives however do matter, because if you prefer Sims 4 because it looks so good or because it doesn’t crash, those are motives that are very personal (and they can be irrelevant for others, like my motives to love Sims 3 are personal and irrelevant for others). They don’t mean the game ‘is’ more enjoyable. My son enjoys games like GTA and Fallout, while Sims he just played briefly when he was 13 years old. That’s not his game. If he tells me GTA is more enjoyable than Sims, I’ll protest. That might apply to him, but not to me. I can always ask him why he does though, and his motives will be valid and interesting. His motives to prefer a game like GTA over a game like Sims won’t win me over (like my motives to prefer Sims won’t win him over). That doesn’t mean our reasons to prefer what we prefer aren’t interesting or relevant. They are. And in discussions about different versions in the same franchise, reasons can be even more relevant and interesting. Like the ‘talking to each other more often’ you mention. Even though I fully appreciate and even understand that, for me it’s an absolute downside for Sims 4. I prefer my sims leaving other sims alone and just starting conversations when they’re in the same room or know each other well. I don’t want them to autonomously talk to everybody, always. And what you say about bad implementation, that can hardly be denied. Like they implemented things poorly for Sims 3 as well, why would anyone want to deny that. In certain areas they simply didn’t do an amazing job and we, the fans, should at all times say so. Because it’s us who notice that while playing. Instead I see people defending the strangest flaws and shortcomings in the game. And it’s beyond me why.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2019
    :D Im amused :D There's not a single reason why I or anyone else should explain to you why we enjoy Sims 4 <3 We are commenting because we disagree with the post. But that does not invite you to confront anyone because we find sims 4 better. You find sims 3 better and I really dont care. But you seem insulted that some find Sims 4 better and thats your problem, not mine <3 Im playing my game right now. It's much more fun than pointless arguing with people who somehow, oddly believe , they deserve an answer for others likes and dislikes @ClarionOfJoy

Absolutely true, you shouldn’t (in general, everybody is entitled to their own preferences), but apart from the fact it kind of is the subject of the topic, I don’t think that was the point here. The point is, that most here would love to love Sims 4 and speaking for myself, sometimes I genuinely wonder what I’m missing, what I’m not seeing. But the arguments, if given, mainly seem to come down to graphics and performance. And CAS. Which is fine, obviously. It’s not insulting, but also not very convincing when you want to be convinced. You obviously approach it from your perspective, but so are we.

There is no reason to try to convince you of anything. But if you're really just dying to know Sims 3's strong points are create a style and open world. The sims themselves are dreadful. I don't like them and that is the most important part of a sims game, not 1000 different patterns @JoAnne65 . I don't see what some others see when they think about how great sims 3 is in live mode. But yet I dont ask them to convince me :)
    Me: “The point is, that most here would love to love Sims 4 and I genuinely wonder what I’m missing, what I’m not seeing.”
    Reaction: “But if you're really just dying to know Sims 3's strong points (...) The sims themselves are dreadful.”

I bet it’s unintentional but this is exactly what simmers like me are trying to say. We’d like to know Sims 4’s strong points, and what we get - quite literal in this case, where did I ask for Sims 3’s strong points, let alone am I expressing I’m “dying to know” them? - always results in naming Sims 3’s weak points (according to you, because no, sims in 3 aren’t dreadful at all, I love them and prefer them over sims in 4; in fact the sims in 4 are one of my main problems with the game).
    “What exactly do you love about Sims 4?”
    “I hate Sims 3!” Aha ;)

So, I’ll practise what I preach and give you my arguments:
    1. Sims in 3 remember things and will take it personal (meaning, if X treated them badly they’ll specifically let X know they mind; also two days later)
    2. Sims in 3 act according to their traits
    3. Sims in 3 act according to how they feel about someone
    4. Sims in 3 will always adress the person they are talking to
    5. Sims in 3 will never walk away in the middle of a conversation
    6. Sims in 3 can look really great when you make an effort to spend some time in CAS and pull some sliders (or use CC if you like that)
    7. Sims in 3 have a perfect balance (for me, obviously) between taking care of basic needs/spontaneous, surprising actions, and on the other hand leaving the more important, defining decisions to me, the player. Sims in 3 don’t constantly take selfies, nor do they autonomously hug anyone one two legs; they mind their own business and are social when it feels natural

And on top of that, open world actually is a very important aspect of the game and ‘feeling’ my sims for me, and so is the ability to decorate their houses and their clothes any old way I want to. Actually that is another problem I have where it comes to immersion in Sims 4. A 1000 different patterns? You must be kidding. They are numerous and they’re completely mine.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think we are getting off topic, though knowing TS4 or the older games' strong points are important to most of us. Whether we like TS4 or prefer an older game more. It matters because it will influence what players want in a future game. (Possibly).

My point of this thread is how can I keep waiting on things that were strong points in the other games to come to TS4 (finally) after this game has already ran it's course at five years old here in a few short months. Compared to monies spent in previous games, at this point they were so full the average pc user couldn't install all packs without some sort of upgrade to their machines, if they wanted to keep all packs installed.

Comparing that to TS4 leaves much to be desired because with TS4's 20+ packs and five years (I think that's a correct number) people are still needing improvements and stronger gameplay. All that money....and even TS4 players are still waiting on something...no matter what that something might be.

Still waiting on vacation destinations, magic, colleges, other life states, chemistry attractions, slow dancing, ability to swim in lakes or oceans, proper terraforming, building ablitites still not in the game, a larger amount of traits to choose that don't over lap with skills and or those whims, Consequences for bad choices, automobiles, and on and on. I don't know, I just feel if anyone bought these twenty packs+ at normal prices, they might feel shafted. Five years and over $400 and we still have demands to improve it.....

I understand the arguments on all sides no matter which game players prefer, but 'runs well' and nice graphics shouldn't even enter into the reason to spend that much money (for me) or to wait ten years + more money.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    1. Sims in 3 remember things and will take it personal (meaning, if X treated them badly they’ll specifically let X know they mind; also two days later)
    6. Sims in 3 can look really great when you make an effort to spend some time in CAS and pull some sliders (or use CC if you like that)
    7. Sims in 3 have a perfect balance (for me, obviously) between taking care of basic needs/spontaneous, surprising actions, and on the other hand leaving the more important, defining decisions to me, the player. Sims in 3 don’t constantly take selfies, nor do they autonomously hug anyone one two legs; they mind their own business and are social when it feels natural
    All of this! I wish TS4 sims would do some of these things. The lack of personality is honestly one of the biggest issues with TS4 to me. The rest I can mostly put up with but this is the major thing making TS4 hard to enjoy. I'm fed up of the emotions system overriding everything and making them behave all the same. I'm fed up of the lack of personalised reactions (why does romance on TV make an unflirty sim flirty?). I'm fed up of starting an argument and sims immediately picking friendly socials before I have a chance to continue.

TS3 sims are full of personality. They complain when an enemy walks into the room. Mostly, they get wishes in response to their current environment and their own traits. They're logical. In TS4 I didn't even notice when whims were patched to be hidden by default because they were so bland and samey.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member

Me: “The point is, that most here would love to love Sims 4 and I genuinely wonder what I’m missing, what I’m not seeing.”
    Reaction: “But if you're really just dying to know Sims 3's strong points (...) The sims themselves are dreadful.”

I bet it’s unintentional but this is exactly what simmers like me are trying to say. We’d like to know Sims 4’s strong points, and what we get - quite literal in this case, where did I ask for Sims 3’s strong points, let alone am I expressing I’m “dying to know” them? - always results in naming Sims 3’s weak points (according to you, because no, sims in 3 aren’t dreadful at all, I love them and prefer them over sims in 4; in fact the sims in 4 are one of my main problems with the game).
    “What exactly do you love about Sims 4?”
    “I hate Sims 3!” Aha ;)

So, I’ll practise what I preach and give you my arguments:

And on top of that, open world actually is a very important aspect of the game and ‘feeling’ my sims for me, and so is the ability to decorate their houses and their clothes any old way I want to. Actually that is another problem I have where it comes to immersion in Sims 4. A 1000 different patterns? You must be kidding. They are numerous and they’re completely mine.

I agree with this post :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I think the misinterpretation here is that people feel they have to ‘prove’ they love Sims 4. Afaic: no. If you say you do I immediately believe you do, obviously, because why else would someone say so. That wouldn’t make any sense so that’s not the issue here. The motives however do matter, because if you prefer Sims 4 because it looks so good or because it doesn’t crash, those are motives that are very personal (and they can be irrelevant for others, like my motives to love Sims 3 are personal and irrelevant for others). They don’t mean the game ‘is’ more enjoyable. My son enjoys games like GTA and Fallout, while Sims he just played briefly when he was 13 years old. That’s not his game. If he tells me GTA is more enjoyable than Sims, I’ll protest. That might apply to him, but not to me. I can always ask him why he does though, and his motives will be valid and interesting. His motives to prefer a game like GTA over a game like Sims won’t win me over (like my motives to prefer Sims won’t win him over). That doesn’t mean our reasons to prefer what we prefer aren’t interesting or relevant. They are. And in discussions about different versions in the same franchise, reasons can be even more relevant and interesting. Like the ‘talking to each other more often’ you mention. Even though I fully appreciate and even understand that, for me it’s an absolute downside for Sims 4. I prefer my sims leaving other sims alone and just starting conversations when they’re in the same room or know each other well. I don’t want them to autonomously talk to everybody, always. And what you say about bad implementation, that can hardly be denied. Like they implemented things poorly for Sims 3 as well, why would anyone want to deny that. In certain areas they simply didn’t do an amazing job and we, the fans, should at all times say so. Because it’s us who notice that while playing. Instead I see people defending the strangest flaws and shortcomings in the game. And it’s beyond me why.

When I said TS4 Sims talk to each other more fluidly I meant like while eating/standing. TS2 Sims (if both are standing and holding a plate while eating) they can also talk or AKA multitask. However, if one is holding a plate and the other not, my own Sim has to wait to speak to that Sim about something. There isn't any 'multitasking' in that situation. However, the one seated at the table (wihtout any food) can speak to both.

TS4 Sims can speak to each other whether anyone is holding a plate or not, (no waiting for my Sim to interrupt the Sim standing, holding a plate). I pay attention to things like this, and always have. So, to me TS4 is more fluid in that regard. But what's not good about TS4 is when I would make my own Sim interrupt the other, Unlike TS2, they put away their plate (somewhere in space) to talk to my Sim in TS4. So, yeah, my eye for detail probably goes right over developers' heads.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    I think we are getting off topic, though knowing TS4 or the older games' strong points are important to most of us. Whether we like TS4 or prefer an older game more. It matters because it will influence what players want in a future game. (Possibly).

My point of this thread is how can I keep waiting on things that were strong points in the other games to come to TS4 (finally) after this game has already ran it's course at five years old here in a few short months. Compared to monies spent in previous games, at this point they were so full the average pc user couldn't install all packs without some sort of upgrade to their machines, if they wanted to keep all packs installed.

Comparing that to TS4 leaves much to be desired because with TS4's 20+ packs and five years (I think that's a correct number) people are still needing improvements and stronger gameplay. All that money....and even TS4 players are still waiting on something...no matter what that something might be.

Still waiting on vacation destinations, magic, colleges, other life states, chemistry attractions, slow dancing, ability to swim in lakes or oceans, proper terraforming, building ablitites still not in the game, a larger amount of traits to choose that don't over lap with skills and or those whims, Consequences for bad choices, automobiles, and on and on. I don't know, I just feel if anyone bought these twenty packs+ at normal prices, they might feel shafted. Five years and over $400 and we still have demands to improve it.....

I understand the arguments on all sides no matter which game players prefer, but 'runs well' and nice graphics shouldn't even enter into the reason to spend that much money (for me) or to wait ten years + more money.

No - not so. In the history of gaming - name me one game that has EVER gone back to it's roots!

Heck - for that matter - name me almost anything in life that ever goes backwards. The horse and buggy is long gone - at most it is a honeymoon ride - not a way of life.

What happened in the past - just as in real life is long gone - you can't go back. Games move ever forward - just like life - leaving behind old baggage as it is called by companies that made them - with eyes to the future and what is new and faster. Looking back is but mere memories of people who still have them because they were there. Not because there is ever a chance they will be revisited.

Memories of what was - gets lost - does not come back no matter how badly people want it. Life evolves ever forward - so we have to move forward with it or get lost.

That's life - like it or not. Wishful thinking is better left to writing books about it - but no company ever will go backwards - and the majority of younger people keep their eyes on the future.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

No - not so. In the history of gaming - name me one game that has EVER gone back to it's roots! What happened in the past - just as in real life is long gone - you can't go back. Games move ever forward - just like life - leaving behind old baggage as it is called by companies that made them - with eyes to the future and what is new and faster. Looking back if mere memories of peope who still have them because they were there. Not because there is ever a chance they will be revisited.

Memories of what was gets lost - does not come back no matter how badly people want it. Life evolves ever forward - so we have to move forward with it or get lost.

That's life - like it or not. Wishful thinking os better life to writing books about it - but no company ever will go backwards - and the majority of younger people keep thy eyes on the future.

Then there wasn't any point in demanding toddlers if people are keeping their eyes on the future. That was all wishful thinking, right? I mean it was going backwards to what was instead of what is.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019

No - not so. In the history of gaming - name me one game that has EVER gone back to it's roots! What happened in the past - just as in real life is long gone - you can't go back. Games move ever forward - just like life - leaving behind old baggage as it is called by companies that made them - with eyes to the future and what is new and faster. Looking back if mere memories of peope who still have them because they were there. Not because there is ever a chance they will be revisited.

Memories of what was gets lost - does not come back no matter how badly people want it. Life evolves ever forward - so we have to move forward with it or get lost.

That's life - like it or not. Wishful thinking os better life to writing books about it - but no company ever will go backwards - and the majority of younger people keep thy eyes on the future.

Then there wasn't any point in demanding toddlers if people are keeping their eyes on the future. That was all wishful thinking, right? I mean it was going backwards to what was instead of what is.

Why? Do you think in life we just skip over a life stage? Really? Get real. Now that is plain foolish. The game IS a life simulation - correct? You need all life stages no matter what century we are living in. I am talking particulars. People move forward so naturally the people is what we need to depend on or there would be no point of a life simulation to start with - now would it?

Cinebar - look around you! People is about the only thing that moves forward ever. The one constant.

Let me know when in life we go from birth to a grown adult instantly - then your statement might make sense in a life simulation game.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member

Excellent point! It's never hurts to ask as your wish just might be granted. Or to let your opinion be known as long as you are respectful in doing so.

I do fear that @Writin_Reg may have a valid point also. From what I've read on this forum, it seems the sims series may be going to some sort of online game which is apparently very popular these days.

I can only speak for myself and I have to say that if online is the direction this franchise is going, I won't be a part of it. It will sadden my heart, but I can always play 3 or do something else. A round of golf anyone? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think that some just want us to list what we like, so they can argue each point. However I will bite.

-Sims in 4 are very expressive and emotive. Even the way they move is very fluid and natural. I prefer their animations. Top notch animations, bar none , and the first time imo Sims express beautifully.

- Multitasking . Mattters. My sims can talk to their family while eating. Lack of multi-tasking makes the game feel unreal and breaks immersion. I dont want to play with sims who cant peform 2 simple , normal actions at the same time.

-Sliders are garbage. Maneuvering 20 different categories to adjust sliders is garbage . Create a sim is 1 million Xs better. Create a sim has to be good because I enjoy making sims.

-Sims in 4 have tons of personality. I love their personalities and actually being able to WATCH them show their personality

-Traveling between worlds is amazing. I hated being stuck to one world or else losing all friends , with sims 3. It gives the game such an international vibe

-I love groups and sims will join up and perform the group activities that I like , together with one another.
    -Better social functions.

-Better clothing, better furniture . I dont even want cc. I dont use it. Because the clothing has so much variety and is very decent.

-Attractive sims. No cc needed . Big deal for me. I dont like using cc. I have a computer more than capable of handling cc, but I just dont want to use any. Personal taste comes in here, but I hardly ever see anyone who prefers the way sims look in 3.

-The graphics are beautiful. Which pulls me into their world and enhances gameplay.I never liked the graphics before in any other sims games.

- I love the appearance of the game , outside of just the graphics, the menus, the User Interface (UI) the text.

-The ability to search for items in Build mode.

-The gallery is a HUGE bonus. I love being able to share and download with one click. Downplaying of this feature is ridiculous. it's game changing.

-Build mode is also very intelligent.

So, guys, I have lots of reasons, as Im sure those of us who like Sims 4 better do. But I dont believe that the desire to know why we prefer sims 4 is genuine. I think its just a ploy for some to try to tell us how/why our preferences are wrong. But we'll see.
  • Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2019
    I think that some just want us to list what we like, so they can argue each point. However I will bite.

-Sims in 4 are very expressive and emotive. Even the way they move is very fluid and natural. I prefer their animations. Top notch animations, bar none , and the first time imo Sims express beautifully.

- Multitasking . Mattters. My sims can talk to their family while eating. Lack of multi-tasking makes the game feel unreal and breaks immersion. I dont want to play with sims who cant peform 2 simple , normal actions at the same time.

-Sliders are garbage. Maneuvering 20 different categories to adjust sliders is garbage . Create a sim is 1 million Xs better. Create a sim has to be good because I enjoy making sims.

-Sims in 4 have tons of personality. I love their personalities and actually being able to WATCH them show their personality

-Traveling between worlds is amazing. I hated being stuck to one world or else losing all friends , with sims 3. It gives the game such an international vibe

-I love groups and sims will join up and perform the group activities that I like , together with one another.

-Better clothing, better furniture . I dont even want cc. I dont use it. Because the clothing has so much variety and is very decent.

-Attractive sims. No cc needed . Big deal for me. I dont like using cc. I have a computer more than capable of handling cc, but I just dont want to use any. Personal taste comes in here, but I hardly ever see anyone who prefers the way sims look in 3.

-The graphics are beautiful. Which pulls me into their world and enhances gameplay.I never liked the graphics before in any other sims games.

- I love the appearance of the game , outside of just the graphics, the menus, the User Interface (UI) the text.

-The gallery is a HUGE bonus. I love being able to share and download with one click. Downplaying of this feature is ridiculous. it's game changing.

So, guys, I have lots of reasons, as Im sure those of us who like Sims 4 better do. But I dont believe that the desire to know why we prefer sims 4 is genuine. I think its just a ploy for some to try to tell us how/why our preferences are wrong. But we'll see.

I still don't understand why you think we're all just trying to argue with you since (as far as I'm aware) the majority of us here have been fairly polite about this lol. However, I will digress because I, for one, really am not trying to argue with you, I'm just genuinely curious to try and see from your perspective. Personally, I just don't *understand* why others like TS4, so seeing someone lay out their personal reasons for that really helps me to, at the very least, try to understand. And having read through them, your reasons are perfectly valid, even if I or someone else doesn't fully agree. It truly is just a matter of personal preference, we were just curious as to why you personally prefer that version lol. So, thank you for telling us!! :smile: And just remember, if anyone tries to tell you your opinion is wrong, opinions are like noses: everyone's got one and they all smell at times (if you get my gist lol :wink: ) :lol:
    The world is quiet here
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    SeloBee wrote: »

I still don't understand why you think we're all just trying to argue with you since (as far as I'm aware) the majority of us here have been fairly polite about this lol. However, I will digress because I, for one, really am not trying to argue with you, I'm just genuinely curious to try and see from your perspective. Personally, I just don't *understand* why others like TS4, so seeing someone lay out their personal reasons for that really helps me to, at the very least, try to understand. And having read through them, your reasons are perfectly valid, even if I or someone else doesn't fully agree. It truly is just a matter of personal preference, we were just curious as to why you personally prefer that version lol. So, thank you for telling us!! :smile: And just remember, if anyone tries to tell you your opinion is wrong, opinions are like noses: everyone's got one and they all smell at times (if you get my gist lol :wink: ) :lol:

I think the problem with thinking that people are trying to argue with us comes from the fact that when we say things like we prefer the graphics, people tell us our opinion is not valid and is not a real reason and they want us to list the real reasons Etc. This happens way too often.

For me, graphics are 100% THE most important thing in a game to make it enjoyable to me. After the Sims my next favorite games would be Neopets and MapleStory because I love the graphics. The game playing them kind of sucks and then a longer play MapleStory just because it doesn't run on my computer, but I still play Neopets and have played it for 15 years even though there's no immersion at all. I play it's only because I love the graphics and I play almost every day.

If i don't like the graphics, I can not get into a game regardless of game play. For Sims 4 I don't find it lacking content. Sure there's a couple of things that would be nice to have, but that would just be an extra bonus and the stuff it does have now with all the packs I feel like it's complete and I could play in live mode for years to come without adding anything. However, if I didn't like the graphics of it I wouldn't have been able to get past an hour or two of playing the exact same game.

When I say I like a game because of the graphics that's usually because the graphics are the most important thing to me in a game.That being said, There's many other things that I like about it, which I posted earlier and also @EnjoyfulSimmer s list is great and I agree with every item on it so much that I could have written it haha. But graphics comes first and to me so I am tired of being told that it's not a real reason to like a game or not enough of one and that I have to give another better reason. People say it's because they want to like the game too but if Graphics aren't important to them or these other things aren't important to them they might not like it and I don't really care if they like it it's not my job to convince them to like something they don't.

• Options
    I personally don't understand how one can not understand that sims 3 is not the ideal sims game to everyone. While i myself do not care for sims 3 I can understand why some do. So even that statement alone about not understanding is bizarre to me. It's like saying you don't "understand" why some people like books over movies.

I understand, that all things have their strong points and different things are important to each person. How is that hard to understand? :|
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top