Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Xwanton wrote: »
    I know I'm late to this particular point, but it annoys me when people justify the return to the flawed swatch system. Especially when it's something like "oh I don't like too much choice". Really? Just because you didn't use something doesn't mean it's no big deal when it gets left out. Then there's the claims that we can't have a colour wheel because it lags the game. No, a colour wheel is not the same as CASt. CASt had to load lots of patterns. Whenever you use the wheel to colour hair in TS3, there is no lag at all. There is no performance reason why we can't have a colour wheel.

The fact is, the current selection of swatches is lacking. There's no light brown/dark blonde colour for hair. There's three blondes, one of which is a bright yellow. And it's not like we have a complex genetics system to make up for it ala TS2. If the selection was better I might accept it more, but the range is very limited. Saints Row 2, a 10 year old game, had no colour wheel but many, many more colours available. If you want to recreate sims from previous games (and I do, because they are characters who matter to me) it's necessary to use CC. "Oh but if you're using CC, what's the issue?" The issue is, now we have to deal with swatches again, CC is split into meshes and recolours. And now, all the creators demand you can't include the mesh. And these creators are very prone to flouncing and deleting everything. Not to mention, if you want a consistent custom colour, you'd better hope there's a lot of people who've used that particular palette, or you'll be limited to using just one style. This is an issue that was resolved in TS3 (and in TS2, people were less bothered over including meshes).

We're at a point now where people are highly praising the developers for including ONE recolour in a patch, when this is a problem that never should have existed. TS4 CAS is good in a lot of ways but this seriously holds it back. Like everything else in TS4, it has a caveat. Anything good we get in this game is offset by losing something else.
    I agree with everything you say. One side note: CASt doesn’t cause lag in your game either. There’s lag sometimes in CAS or building/buying mode, but not in live mode. There is the rendering that can take time in Sims 3 (and I believe that’s connected to the CASt system, because most surfaces have three layers instead of one), but it doesn’t matter if a surface has a preset colour/pattern or a custom made one.

Yes it does. I don’t know why you mentioned live mode because you can’t even access CASt in that mode. Where you can use it, it’s VERY laggy. I have an excellent machine and the game stutters when loading lots of patterns.

Rendering is a completely separate issue, and isn’t lag. That’s just how long it takes your machine to load an object and it’s textures. You do not enter into the editor and the game does not load any unused patterns. Live mode lag has other causes.

I love Sims 3, and I learned to live with it’s issues a long time ago. CASt does absolutely cause lag in the game, the note that it doesn’t cause it in live mode doesn’t make sense. All I’m trying to say.

Are you saying you have lag when in CASt? I haven't experienced that and I'm in there all the time, sometimes more than live mode. I often delete my patterns after I've finished my house or community lot knowing I probably won't use them again but I still keep quite a few and some favorites.

Only when the game is loading the patterns in the editor interface. Once a category has been completely loaded the game runs normal. On my desktop it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 min depending on the category and how many patterns are included.

When I say lag I mean when performing non-CASt actions like rotating the camera or rotating a sim in CAS. While patterns are loading it stutters doing those things. CAS can be laggy in general in Sims 3 I thought assets took a long time to load thumbnails and the game lags when that’s happening too.

I have a similar issue while in build/buy mode and using CASt where my game will lag or freeze but on3ce I got to live mode then back to build/buy it goes away. In live mode I don't experience any lag really. It's very rare. I also use Nraas overwatch in my game as well to clean up at 3am every night. I also use Mastercontroller and reset my town every 2-4 sim weeks just to make sure everything keeps running smoothly. I just find it sad that I have to use mods to keep a smooth game. I mean without mods my game is pretty smooth but over time it starts to lag. Then again the same can be said for the sims 4. A fresh unmodded game runs smoothly but once played for a when starts to act laggy.

My lag in Sims 3 is pretty much just when the game is loading patterns in the editor, or when I’m waiting on clothing thumbnails to appear in CAS. It has to load a lot of data so I’m not too surprised that it bogs the game down, 64bit would have helped that tremendously. I rarely get lag in live mode, but I also do have the essential NRAAS mods installed.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Was it Sims 2 or 1 where it was recommended you moused over and viewed all the screen to load everything to stop lagging? I cannot remember now which one it was. I always got a lag with viewing costumes in Sims 3 even with a gaming machine. Too many or faulty code?
    I will see this iteration through to the end as I am an optimist!

This thread is getting so long it will have to be downgraded to 2 years and then 1 year eventually. :D>:)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2019
    I know I'm late to this particular point, but it annoys me when people justify the return to the flawed swatch system. Especially when it's something like "oh I don't like too much choice". Really? Just because you didn't use something doesn't mean it's no big deal when it gets left out. Then there's the claims that we can't have a colour wheel because it lags the game. No, a colour wheel is not the same as CASt. CASt had to load lots of patterns. Whenever you use the wheel to colour hair in TS3, there is no lag at all. There is no performance reason why we can't have a colour wheel.

The fact is, the current selection of swatches is lacking. There's no light brown/dark blonde colour for hair. There's three blondes, one of which is a bright yellow. And it's not like we have a complex genetics system to make up for it ala TS2. If the selection was better I might accept it more, but the range is very limited. Saints Row 2, a 10 year old game, had no colour wheel but many, many more colours available. If you want to recreate sims from previous games (and I do, because they are characters who matter to me) it's necessary to use CC. "Oh but if you're using CC, what's the issue?" The issue is, now we have to deal with swatches again, CC is split into meshes and recolours. And now, all the creators demand you can't include the mesh. And these creators are very prone to flouncing and deleting everything. Not to mention, if you want a consistent custom colour, you'd better hope there's a lot of people who've used that particular palette, or you'll be limited to using just one style. This is an issue that was resolved in TS3 (and in TS2, people were less bothered over including meshes).

We're at a point now where people are highly praising the developers for including ONE recolour in a patch, when this is a problem that never should have existed. TS4 CAS is good in a lot of ways but this seriously holds it back. Like everything else in TS4, it has a caveat. Anything good we get in this game is offset by losing something else.
    I agree with everything you say. One side note: CASt doesn’t cause lag in your game either. There’s lag sometimes in CAS or building/buying mode, but not in live mode. There is the rendering that can take time in Sims 3 (and I believe that’s connected to the CASt system, because most surfaces have three layers instead of one), but it doesn’t matter if a surface has a preset colour/pattern or a custom made one.

Yes it does. I don’t know why you mentioned live mode because you can’t even access CASt in that mode. Where you can use it, it’s VERY laggy. I have an excellent machine and the game stutters when loading lots of patterns.

Rendering is a completely separate issue, and isn’t lag. That’s just how long it takes your machine to load an object and it’s textures. You do not enter into the editor and the game does not load any unused patterns. Live mode lag has other causes.

I love Sims 3, and I learned to live with it’s issues a long time ago. CASt does absolutely cause lag in the game, the note that it doesn’t cause it in live mode doesn’t make sense. All I’m trying to say.
    "Then there's the claims that we can't have a colour wheel because it lags the game. No, a colour wheel is not the same as CASt. CASt had to load lots of patterns. Whenever you use the wheel to colour hair in TS3, there is no lag at all." I suppose they mean in CAS and build/buy mode, but nor the colour wheel nor CASt (patterns) cause lag. In CAS and build/buy mode the game can be very slow (one can call that lag, because sometimes I try to drag a colour to a surface and the game won't respond immediately; that defines lag doesn't it?), but that's not caused by CASt. That's because the game has to load each and every item and pattern available (which is why I never save recoloured patterns because then it will even last longer). Sims 4's system is much better in that respect.

Rendering lasting a bit longer in Sims 3 than in the other games actually is due to CASt, because the CASt system requires surfaces to have two (three?) layers instead of one, so there's more to render. On a fast computer you hardly notice I can declare from experience, unless it's a huge building (like the mall I've created recently; there are so many surfaces in there that need to render that it can take up to ten seconds for everything in there to render; it's possible the fact I play in IP plays its part as well by the way). The stuttering when loading lots of patterns I don't recognize. Just the rendering taking time. And it doesn't matter if a pattern is created using CASt or if it's a preset surface. I have no idea how that works, but this statue is uncustomizable and still it was the very last thing to render the other day. The whole mall showed its colours, accept for him. He proves the game doesn't care in live mode if a surface is altered in CASt or not.

hQNrEYw.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I suppose they mean in CAS and build/buy mode, but nor the colour wheel nor CASt (patterns) cause lag. In CAS and build/buy mode the game can be very slow (one can call that lag, because sometimes I try to drag a colour to a surface and the game won't respond immediately; that defines lag doesn't it?), but that's not caused by CASt. That's because the game has to load each and every item and pattern available (which is why I never save recoloured patterns because then it will even last longer). Sims 4's system is much better in that respect.

Rendering lasting a bit longer in Sims 3 than in the other games actually is due to CASt, because the CASt system requires surfaces to have two (three?) layers instead of one, so there's more to render. On a fast computer you hardly notice I can declare from experience, unless it's a huge building (like the mall I've created recently; there are so many surfaces in there that need to render that it can take up to ten seconds for everything in there to render; it's possible the fact I play in IP plays its part as well by the way). The stuttering when loading lots of patterns I don't recognize. Just the rendering taking time. And it doesn't matter if a pattern is created using CASt or if it's a preset surface. I have no idea how that works, but this statue is uncustomizable and still it was the very last thing to render the other day. The whole mall showed its colours, accept for him. He proves the game doesn't care in live mode if a surface is altered in CASt or not.

Yeah, I meant that CASt can be slow to load in CAS and build/buy. My machine isn't the latest or best though and I'm sure a better one would improve it (especially if I had an SSD). I can see the frustration with it, however.

My post was mostly me expressing frustration with the falsehoods that people spread about how the sheer existence of a colour wheel would be too demanding for TS4 and make the whole game lag. They use that and inane comments about how we totally didn't need a colour wheel anyway because it's just too much choice to handle to justify it being missing.

I love that S4S exists (I wish a similar program existed for TS3) but the devs aren't responsible for that. I can do some very basic recolours of plain clothes but again, just because I can alleviate the lack of swatches myself doesn't excuse it being an issue to begin with. A single swatch being added in a patch is not meaningful free content, and it's ridiculous that people acted like it was some amazing thing.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Are you saying you have lag when in CASt? I haven't experienced that and I'm in there all the time, sometimes more than live mode. I often delete my patterns after I've finished my house or community lot knowing I probably won't use them again but I still keep quite a few and some favorites.

Only when the game is loading the patterns in the editor interface. Once a category has been completely loaded the game runs normal. On my desktop it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 min depending on the category and how many patterns are included.

When I say lag I mean when performing non-CASt actions like rotating the camera or rotating a sim in CAS. While patterns are loading it stutters doing those things. CAS can be laggy in general in Sims 3 I thought assets took a long time to load thumbnails and the game lags when that’s happening too.

Oh okay, I understand. I haven't experienced that.

In game, I sometimes get a lot taking a few seconds longer than normal if it is a very large lot (like my flower nursery I made yesterday or Grandpa's Grove due to so many items on them but other than that I don't get much lag.

I have a gaming rig I got a few years ago now. I'm not tech smart so I googled "top gaming rigs" and asked the local computer guy here to make the top one for me. It's probably overkill but it gives me no problems. (I was planning on moving to Sims 4 and I've always bought new PC's each time a new Sims comes out but turns out this time I didn't need it).

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I have a similar issue while in build/buy mode and using CASt where my game will lag or freeze but on3ce I got to live mode then back to build/buy it goes away. In live mode I don't experience any lag really. It's very rare. I also use Nraas overwatch in my game as well to clean up at 3am every night. I also use Mastercontroller and reset my town every 2-4 sim weeks just to make sure everything keeps running smoothly. I just find it sad that I have to use mods to keep a smooth game. I mean without mods my game is pretty smooth but over time it starts to lag. Then again the same can be said for the sims 4. A fresh unmodded game runs smoothly but once played for a when starts to act laggy.

Yes, I too used Overwatch when I did play TS3. It was fine for a long time then eventually would slow down. Same thing happens in TS4 if you keep a save forever. It's awful how we had to give up open world and so many other things to wind up with the same eventual problems. I hope TS5 finally gets this right, but then a server world isn't my idea of a game I want to buy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I didn't want to stop playing ts3, but can't go back after playing ts4. It's mainly because of the build mode and gallery in ts4. I don't want to start over with a new game and have to wait for things I enjoy in this one. I want more out of this game. Everything mentioned in this forum so far, I would like to see as well. I don't see how a ts5 will be better. I'm not saying it couldn't be. I just don't see it. If ts4 had everything we want, I think I could go on playing it forever. Maybe they are taking longer to give us what we had compared ts2 is because they want to drag it out. Maybe they want to drag it out so this game will last, and there won't be a need for another game. I know there are some disappointments to this game, but there are good points too. Also, things can always be improved upon.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I go back all the time no problem, build mode(read: roofs) and toddlers imho are the only things Sims 4 did really well, but it's not enough to keep me interested in Sims 4. I'm not even really excited about the three new packs were getting. I feel so restricted in 4, and I usually play families, and I always feel like I'm playing wrong because kids don't really have much to do. This game is focused on partying and YA life, I don't usually focus too long on the YA stage. New packs come out, buy on sale(finally learned from get Famous and Strangerville), keeps my interest for a weekend, get bored go back to 3. I always feel like I'm starved for content in 4.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I go back all the time no problem, build mode(read: roofs) and toddlers imho are the only things Sims 4 did really well, but it's not enough to keep me interested in Sims 4. I'm not even really excited about the three new packs were getting. I feel so restricted in 4, and I usually play families, and I always feel like I'm playing wrong because kids don't really have much to do. This game is focused on partying and YA life, I don't usually focus too long on the YA stage. New packs come out, buy on sale(finally learned from get Famous and Strangerville), keeps my interest for a weekend, get bored go back to 3. I always feel like I'm starved for content in 4.

The Sims games have always been a little more focused on Adult/Young Adult life. The problem with Sims 4 is that the Sims haven't been detailed enough in any of the life stages. So honestly, even the Young Adults feel shallow. I think this is one of the things that has had family players and non-family players at odds with each other, fighting for content, when the truth is that a lot of work still needs to be done all around. Previous games used to prioritize Sim personalities, interactions, and object-free activities for all ages, but in Sims 4, almost five years in, we still don't have childrens games where they can play together, we don't have Fears, we don't have preferences, turn-ons/offs, flaws, and a surprisingly slow progress in Traits, which barely make a difference in personality or gameplay.

It's a little depressing because they just keep focusing on superficial fluff when the real work still needs to be done. :/
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    "Previous games used to prioritize Sim personalities, interactions, and object-free activities for all ages"

There weren't really that many object-free activities for kids in TS3. Apart from tag, play catch and play in the ocean with other sims, every other play interaction they have is object related. TS2 kids have many play interactions without revolving around an object and I want those interactions in TS4 a lot.. tickle, dance on parents feet, swing around, so on..
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I believe this game is superior to TS1, 2 & 3. And i want this game to be completed, i want it to have everything the old ones had, but with the way this one implements those topics, such as moods, in-house gameplay style, new worlds, etc.
    I love how this game developed itself quite differently to the previous ones, and im happy with how its looking for now. Hopefully we'll get many more EPs, GPs, and SPs before it ends. Farming, University, TimeTravelling, The beach, maybe even a few more patches with new ages like pre-teen, or more playability for babies so that they are not just an object in a crib. I feel like Maxis knows what they're doing, and I can't wait for all the new content that's right around the corner. :smiley:

I really really enjoy sims 4. In fact other than Sims 2, it is the only Sims game that I have loved. And even sims 2, pales in comparison, for me. I can play for hours :)@ClassicSims And ive been playing sims for many years now.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I personally do want it for another 3 or 4 years. I believe they have started work on ts5 engine, but there is a good amount still missing so it's the perfect interval to "complete" the series.

Going by their announcement of a EP, GP and SP this year and using that as an assumption for then at least 3 more of each pack (likely more GP or SP but still, baseline assumptions).

So my personal wishlist(what I consider the perfect way to cap off ts4) is

EPs
    1. Get Educated - University, boarding school (ts3 style), private school (ts2 style), and online college for degrees at home.

2. Recreation destinations - a holiday pack that focuses on relaxing holidays that don't require levelling a skill like herbalism or archaeology. 3 different locations to choose from (my wants are a snowy ski lodge, a tropical beach and either a modern Tokyo city type deal, cruise or an autumnal vineyard). Return of running a hotel/resort. Sunbathing, skiing, diving, nectar making, snowboarding, surfing etc. This to me is different from the ADVENTURE destination GPs we have.

3. Freetime/Generations blend (no fancy "Get"name for this I can think of). A pack that focuses on introducing more things for ages like generations, but introduces a bunch of hobbies like freetime too. This is one I wouldn't mind not getting a world with if it meant this level of new interactions could happen. Include new party types (sleepover, hen, stag, funeral, vow renewal), new hobbies (would double as "activities" for kid/teen like drama or scouts), items like family items like family albums, mementos that can be passed down etc. This to me would be a great opportunity to introduce cars (ts2 style), with return of carpools for careers, teaching teens to drive, woohoo location, and a fixer upper car you work on (which could give way to a mechanic career).

GPs
    1. Witches/magic
    A power and flaw system for witches, dark and light paths, like a dark witch could learn a perk to steal other sims youth so she remains young forever, a flaw that ends up turning their skin green. Ability to bless or curse sims (actually blessing and curses would be good names for the power perk system). Ya get the drift.

2. Wedding pack. More wedding outfits, cakes (and cakes you can order instead of having to have good cooking skill), champagne bottles, return of the dancer on a cake from ts1 (for stags/hens), build objects that have deco options so you could have those chairs, tables etc in one venue, then you could customise your color scheme/ribbons/flowers by just clicking like seasons decor. Ability to choose rings like mobile (choose a medal grade gold silver bronze platinum or plastic) and choice of stones (could implement ones from the game so your sim could literally make a unique one of a kind ring or just an option of stones from cheap imitation gems to diamond). Materialistic sims may turn down proposals from their partner if the rings cheap for example. Honeymoons. < this stuff could be in that freetime blend as more in depth stuff for YA plus.

Then surprise me with the stuff packs, they could be literally anything so no point trying to guess them..
    This just turned into my wishlist.
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    "Previous games used to prioritize Sim personalities, interactions, and object-free activities for all ages"

There weren't really that many object-free activities for kids in TS3. Apart from tag, play catch and play in the ocean with other sims, every other play interaction they have is object related. TS2 kids have many play interactions without revolving around an object and I want those interactions in TS4 a lot.. tickle, dance on parents feet, swing around, so on..

I agree so much with you. What Maxis doesn't understand is that first of all the sims themselves need to be interesting to keep new stuffs interesting. Focus on making complex sims and then add stupid objects.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I believe this game is superior to TS1, 2 & 3. And i want this game to be completed, i want it to have everything the old ones had, but with the way this one implements those topics, such as moods, in-house gameplay style, new worlds, etc.
    I love how this game developed itself quite differently to the previous ones, and im happy with how its looking for now. Hopefully we'll get many more EPs, GPs, and SPs before it ends. Farming, University, TimeTravelling, The beach, maybe even a few more patches with new ages like pre-teen, or more playability for babies so that they are not just an object in a crib. I feel like Maxis knows what they're doing, and I can't wait for all the new content that's right around the corner. :smiley:

I really really enjoy sims 4. In fact other than Sims 2, it is the only Sims game that I have loved. And even sims 2, pales in comparison, for me. I can play for hours :)@ClassicSims And ive been playing sims for many years now.

Here's another example of TS4 fans being vague again about what makes TS4 superior or so much fun that they can play it for hours over the previous iterations. Will you both please explain specific things about TS4 that are so superior or much more fun than TS1, TS2 or TS3? Since you started the comparisons, you should be specific, like fans of TS1, TS2 and TS3 can for their games. If you really do play the game and love it like you say, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, how exactly do you play TS4 "for hours"??? What's there to do in the entire game that you can play it for hours at a time???

• Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    I wish sims 5 would just hurry up I am still shocked at how disappointing sims 4 actually is.. even with all its packs.. I could play for hours on sims 1, sims 2 and sims 3 and never get bored yet with 4 i get bored in less then an hour.. Ive tried so many times to get into it and i just cant even after buying all the packs.

I wish they would just take the sims 2 personality and almost everything about it and then mix it with the sims 3 open worlds create a pattern, create a world, supernatural and then take some of the funny things from sims 1 & makin magic then lastly take the sims 4 graphics. I don't know why EA just doesn't create this hybrid of a game it would be a dream of many!
    I'm sure we all have things we would like to take from each game.

1. Why do you expect any different quality for TS5 when TS4 is in the condition it is and you have hope from the same exact developers and publisher that somehow TS5 would turn out like the life simulator it should be concerning both players and developers visions and not just the developers? Not to mention, no major nor real improvements to TS4 has been made and the real reason is because the game engine was never meant to be used for a life simulator in the first place the way I see it. You cannot turn an apple into an orange.

2. Fewer polygon counts will have less detail. Sims and/or objects look more angular than round and smooth. Textures are also very lackluster and not much detail goes into that either from what I have seen. Everything looks very bland and unmemorable to me. TS4 is the only main PC game that included an art style...a stylized one. Which is different than graphics itself. Some will like the aesthetics of this unnecessary art style which for me aids to make light of the actual hardships of life when ironically it's supposed to be a life simulator. Why does it seem that everything is a joke in that game? And of course, some will not care at all for the aesthetic/overall tone of it's only sunshine and rainbows with sparkly glitter rain. Oh joy! Seriously, I have no idea how anyone can take anything in TS4 seriously with the so-called emotions whereas TS/TS2/TS3 all did so way better and intelligently besides realistically for the most part. And obviously, I will say TS3 emotions are the best I have ever seen so far in a video game run by A.I. with free-will that can literally learn and adapt from other Sims, the player and I guess the environment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRFnYpZD8I

In addition, the aesthetic can also have decent graphics or why are you paying the price for a so-called AAA game if gameplay itself lacks to keep one's attention span? (Edit: What? Sometimes words fail me. :D I'm trying to say just because TS4 has an art style does not mean that it is an excuse for the graphics to suffer. There are plenty of examples of video games that have different art styles that looks and plays flawlessly in tune with the whole experience. Everything is carefully designed for the appeal of the overall aesthetic of the game. One of the best examples, I think, being Journey. I still can't get over how everything comes together so beautifully.

Something pretty to look at but has no gameplay value is bad, something with gameplay value but not so pretty to look at is most likely tolerable, but something with both gameplay value and is pretty to look at will excel as some of the best games in my opinion.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbO2-egZ3U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJsVaY19NhY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3nNT4rcFg

Graphics and Aesthetics are two different things and is not one in the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU
    I say aesthetics alone, is not the answer either. I think both graphics and aesthetics are equally important in order to achieve a good balance that sets the tone of the whole game. And obviously, gameplay is just as important too. Missing puzzle pieces means something is missing whereas having it all completed means seeing and experiencing the complete work of art instead of seeing and experiencing an incomplete work of art.

TS4 took a turn backwards and then sideways as TS/TS2/TS3 were progressing to a natural blend between both cartoony and realism. Although, honestly I wouldn't mind a more realistic and mature life simulator. I have grown up seeing how the graphics improved and advanced so it's not something new to me. Not sure how intense graphics could be as well as A.I. and still run superb with everything on recommended requirements. I would definitely love to see improvements in graphics starting with TS3 but more so love to see more improvements and advancement in gameplay and A.I.

The myth of fewer polygons = fewer details is a lie. I had a professor who explained how in movies, tv shows, commercials a higher polygon is used. With video games, they use low poly and bake the texture and material on. It's a common misconception that people have where video games have to have higher polygons. A lower polygon count and a baked texture and material loads faster. With movies, you aren't loading the models it's already on "film" so the high polygon count doesn't matter.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    :D Im amused :D There's not a single reason why I or anyone else should explain to you why we enjoy Sims 4 <3 We are commenting because we disagree with the post. But that does not invite you to confront anyone because we find sims 4 better. You find sims 3 better and I really dont care. But you seem insulted that some find Sims 4 better and thats your problem, not mine <3 Im playing my game right now. It's much more fun than pointless arguing with people who somehow, oddly believe , they deserve an answer for others likes and dislikes @ClarionOfJoy

"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    KillaBKillaB Posts: 2 New Member
    For me, I was MORE disappointed that TS4 never added "bands" back in. Electric Bass, Drums, and to function like a band and have gigs. We have had a guitar and violin since the beginning yet, they never did ANYTHING with it, just a way to get fame and money.

Also, I miss having vehicles. I understand that having much smaller lots loaded at a time makes the game run smoother, but I am sure they can find a way to give us vehicles again - yes it really is cosmetic, but I rather liked having them in TS3.

And as always, MORE HAIRSTYLES PLEASE! Get some anime hair-dos even!

Ah well. /End rant
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »

I agree too Sims 4 Build mode is good, but I do not want to stay in build mode all the time. If anything I like to expand my lot size to accommodate my builds and you just can't do that in Sims 4. In Sims 4 you are stuck with what you got and no exceptions.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I suppose they mean in CAS and build/buy mode, but nor the colour wheel nor CASt (patterns) cause lag. In CAS and build/buy mode the game can be very slow (one can call that lag, because sometimes I try to drag a colour to a surface and the game won't respond immediately; that defines lag doesn't it?), but that's not caused by CASt. That's because the game has to load each and every item and pattern available (which is why I never save recoloured patterns because then it will even last longer). Sims 4's system is much better in that respect.

Yeah, I meant that CASt can be slow to load in CAS and build/buy. My machine isn't the latest or best though and I'm sure a better one would improve it (especially if I had an SSD). I can see the frustration with it, however.

My post was mostly me expressing frustration with the falsehoods that people spread about how the sheer existence of a colour wheel would be too demanding for TS4 and make the whole game lag. They use that and inane comments about how we totally didn't need a colour wheel anyway because it's just too much choice to handle to justify it being missing.

I love that S4S exists (I wish a similar program existed for TS3) but the devs aren't responsible for that. I can do some very basic recolours of plain clothes but again, just because I can alleviate the lack of swatches myself doesn't excuse it being an issue to begin with. A single swatch being added in a patch is not meaningful free content, and it's ridiculous that people acted like it was some amazing thing.
    100% agreed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    :D Im amused :D There's not a single reason why I or anyone else should explain to you why we enjoy Sims 4 <3 We are commenting because we disagree with the post. But that does not invite you to confront anyone because we find sims 4 better. You find sims 3 better and I really dont care. But you seem insulted that some find Sims 4 better and thats your problem, not mine <3 Im playing my game right now. It's much more fun than pointless arguing with people who somehow, oddly believe , they deserve an answer for others likes and dislikes @ClarionOfJoy

Absolutely true, you shouldn’t (in general, everybody is entitled to their own preferences), but apart from the fact it kind of is the subject of the topic, I don’t think that was the point here. The point is, that most here would love to love Sims 4 and speaking for myself, sometimes I genuinely wonder what I’m missing, what I’m not seeing. But the arguments, if given, mainly seem to come down to graphics and performance. And CAS. Which is fine, obviously. It’s not insulting, but also not very convincing when you want to be convinced. You obviously approach it from your perspective, but so are we.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Here's another example of TS4 fans being vague again about what makes TS4 superior or so much fun that they can play it for hours over the previous iterations. Will you both please explain specific things about TS4 that are so superior or much more fun than TS1, TS2 or TS3? Since you started the comparisons, you should be specific, like fans of TS1, TS2 and TS3 can for their games. If you really do play the game and love it like you say, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, how exactly do you play TS4 "for hours"??? What's there to do in the entire game that you can play it for hours at a time???

Why should we? Is this an examination that we get a passmark for?

Maybe it is just because it is more enjoyable?.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

Then surely you can have no issue answering as to how or why?
    I love The Sims 2 over all other iterations due to
    1. Relying on personality points rather than traits, making for more varied and better balanced sims.
    2. For having the fastest running time in any Sims game, making for swift generational change and making you play against the clock a little bit if you have specific goals in mind to achieve.
    3. For family play that seems most fleshed out. Children seem to have more interactions with toddlers and each other than in other games.
    4. I LOVED the memory system of the game!
    5. I LOVED the story telling tool that they've implemented into it. Where you could take pictures and write full chapters? I remember loving reading some very creative stories on TheSims2 site.

Some of these points are shared with The sims 1, but unlike The Sims 1, The Sims 2 has aging and teraforming and world building and other improvements that carried over to other iterations. It is the iteration that had the most innovation while still keeping the most freedom.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited May 2019

I feel things were taken a bit defensive here. Personally, I'm truly curious about others opinions on how they feel TS4 is exceptionally better than previous iterations, especially TS2 because of all of the features added in comparison and I say this with the upmost respect. If someone asked me why I feel TS2 is superior to other iterations then I would simply give my opinion because regardless of those who disagree or agree with me my opinion stays the same. Its mainly to do with my play style and what I find personally enjoyable. I thought that's what these forums were about? Some people genuinely want to know what your opinion is and why because maybe they're trying to see it from your perspective? Or maybe thats just me idk.

Let me also add I can technically "Play" the sims 4 for hours because I enjoy renovating the games lots and spend a lot of time in CAS. As far as Live mode it varies. It depends on how patient I am with the game before the bugs and glitches get on my nerves and it depends on how long my save stays fresh until it starts "slowing down". A fresh save always runs best but I have never been able to keep a legacy save and imho that stinks. However, I think the biggest issue that keeps me from really enjoying the game is the lack of differences in each sim and the fact that story progression is... odd and rotational is also odd.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I feel things were taken a bit defensive here. Personally, I'm truly curious about others opinions on how they feel TS4 is exceptionally better than previous iterations, especially TS2 because of all of the features added in comparison and I say this with the upmost respect. If someone asked me why I feel TS2 is superior to other iterations then I would simply give my opinion because regardless of those who disagree or agree with me my opinion stays the same. Its mainly to do with my play style and what I find personally enjoyable. I thought that's what these forums were about? Some people genuinely want to know what your opinion is and why because maybe they're trying to see it from your perspective? Or maybe thats just me idk.

Let me also add I can technically "Play" the sims 4 for hours because I enjoy renovating the games lots and spend a lot of time in CAS. As far as Live mode it varies. It depends on how patient I am with the game before the bugs and glitches get on my nerves and it depends on how long my save stays fresh until it starts "slowing down". A fresh save always runs best but I have never been able to keep a legacy save and imho that stinks. However, I think the biggest issue that keeps me from really enjoying the game is the lack of differences in each sim and the fact that story progression is... odd and rotational is also odd.

I wasn't comparing Sims 4 to any other iteration as I have played all 4 from 2001 and have all packs and expansions of each end and enjoyed and struggled with each of them but I do enjoy playing Sims 4, OK?

I love constructing houses and families and filling the entire worlds with them, with them interacting with one another.

It has never crashed for me either, which Sims 3 still did when I tried it again recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top