Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i think i got one of the lines in the benders from real life but is the door thats thick and the walls that are thin. i don't set my alam anymore well except weekends. i just wait til my neighbor behind my headboard flushes his toilet. yes i know its a guy even though we never met.

i hear other things too. mom thought that was gross and it probably is but since i had to accept its one of the things i hear it doesn't bother me.

okay now that grossed you all out back to my birthday. lol.
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited August 2018
    Happy birthday, @friendsfan367 !

• Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Happy Birthday @friendsfan367!!! :)
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    ...I got Seasons. My next story is going to involve a lot of winter. And also "Winterfest".

On a not-at-all lighter note, here's a short story! My Spanish is a little rusty, so if you spot mistakes feel free to tell me. I think my winter story is going to involve some German too... I'm gonna need a lot of help on that one, seeing as I know no German. If you want to help me not fall flat on my face (metaphorically speaking) with that one, please PM me!

I really love writing multilingual stories. I don't think they really take a lot more work to understand, and they connect with people in a multilingual world. What do you guys think about multilingual stories?

I love multilingual stories . I live and work in a community where Spanish is spoken by most, Reading your story felt like home to me.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hey everyone! :) Going to try and get some chapters done this weekend. :)
  • Options
    going to do one more tiny thing with noel and miranda then see how the boys are doing with lauren.
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    So guys, anybody here willing to discuss my story with me?

I reached a point in my story where a certain thing is going to happen that my protagonist doesn't know about. The problem is that I write the story in third person but from the protagonist's point of view, so we normally only see what they see and I'm not sure how to approach this - is switching the narrator my only option? I would be so very grateful for any thoughts and tips, if anyone has the time and mood to discuss. :smile:
  • Options

I reached a point in my story where a certain thing is going to happen that my protagonist doesn't know about. The problem is that I write the story in third person but from the protagonist's point of view, so we normally only see what they see and I'm not sure how to approach this - is switching the narrator my only option? I would be so very grateful for any thoughts and tips, if anyone has the time and mood to discuss. :smile:

I don't read your story but you could temporarily switch to another person's POV to showcase that happening and then go back to your protagonists POV. For me, I usually have multiple POVs so I can use a different one to show that sort of thing.
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    Hey guys! I'm in the process of installing Sims to my boyfriends computer, so maybe more frequent updates from me in the future?

I will probably finish my legacy in the next month or so and I have a lot of projects I want to do after! Also a dog legacy. Or maybe two since they're rather short in terms of Sim Generations. 2 or 3 Gen? I could do one at home and one at my boyfriends, or maybe I'll do a cat legacy at my boyfriends.

I also have a new job - it's basically the same old thing, driving truck, week long trips, but I'll be changing from hauling car parts and Ikea furniture to chemical fluids.

I'm doing a lot of beadwork these days. I'm offering custom commissions too, in case anybody is interested.

All in all, life is rather good, if stressfull.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    https://friendsfan36.wordpress.com/2018/08/17/tiny-blessings

this is noel and miranda. i didn't get it done yesterday but now i can finally switch houses.

had to fix the link. now on to lauren
    Post edited by friendsfan367 on
  • Options
    XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member
    Random question- for those who play the game in other languages and have Seasons, what do the holidays translate to?
    41tidg8.jpg
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    *sticks head in* Hey everyone. How are things going :smile:
  • Options

Good. :) How are you?
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited August 2018
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

@Bugsie2016 I'm doing well. Real life is still a bit crazy but what else is new :tongue:

edit: I also finally made a bit of progress on my real life novel so that's had my mood over the moon :smiley:
  • Options
    TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    Hello all.

A Very Happy Birthday, Ms. Cohost, @friendsfan367!!!!

I have updated and will be happy assuming when I got to take some pictures tonight. :)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Happy birthday @friendsfan367 !!
    Thank you for the amazing job you do here as a cohost. You make everyone feel welcome.
    I wish you an awesome day and an awesome year! :)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

That is an interesting question. I for one hate breaking consistency, but sometimes it is necessary :/

If it's in third person, it might be ok to just narrate the events taking place without having an actual narrator- "unbeknownst to her, something terrible happened", though it might sound awkward if it goes on for too long.

Will the protagonist find out what happens soon? Then maybe it's ok to wait until then to explain what happened.
    Is it imperitive that the reader find out about it before the protagonist does? Then a pov switch might be the best way.
    Could it be something that the protagonist sees, but does not understand? That could be interesting too.
    Lastly- could you sneakily put it into the background of screenshots, behind the protagonist's back? That way the readers can see something is brewing, but the protagonist can't ;)

In the end, I don't think it matters as long as the story is told effectively. Good luck on writing!
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

You could portray the event with a new POV but do it as a separate short-story, then link it back to the story when the time for the protagonist to find out comes?
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm letting you all know that I've moved Nightshade: A Simlit from Tumblr to blogspot. It can now be found here!

@Cathytea Please update my simlit link on the members list to the new location if you wouldn't mind. Thank you! :)
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options
    TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member

I think that although it is unusual for you, for the purposes of this reveal, if you feel that it's something the audience should know but the protaganist shouldn't (yet) the best might be to switch POV's. I actually find I myself like to switch POVs for certain things if it's helpful to make the story flow.

But it could also be really useful to keep the reader as in the dark as the protaganist if you feel it would have a big impact when both are let in on the secret. :smile:
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Happy happy birthday, @friendsfan367!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

Hi, Maruska! As you know, I'm in love with your story! And have been forever!

Here's one option to consider: Stay with your current limited third-person narrator. Let the narration reveal what has happened as the p.o.v. character discovers it. It can be really exciting when things have happened that we don't know about and that we only discover as the p.o.v. character discovers it!

Another option would be to reveal certain clues through screenshots, while keeping the narration in the current limited perspective style.

I'd love to see this approach! It's used quite often in good fiction.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

@Bugsie2016 I'm doing well. Real life is still a bit crazy but what else is new :tongue:

edit: I also finally made a bit of progress on my real life novel so that's had my mood over the moon :smiley:

Hi, Storm! Feels like homecoming to me today, with @StoriedStorm , @Xantheanmar , @DeiraShadeweaver , and @CharmingMaruska all posting here ON THE SAME DAY!!!!!

@friendsfan367 You should have a birthday more often! You bring all our old friends back! :)<3

• Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hi, Storm! Feels like homecoming to me today, with @StoriedStorm , @Xantheanmar , @DeiraShadeweaver , and @CharmingMaruska all posting here ON THE SAME DAY!!!!!

@friendsfan367 You should have a birthday more often! You bring all our old friends back! :)<3

that can't be true i'm still alive so jes probably isn't here.

dinners in a little less than a hour so before i forget thanks everyone for the birthday wishes.
  • Options
    i think lauren talked to the mom that scares me in reds story . she went from good mom to checked out. shes not villian like though just she doesn't seem to understand her boys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top