Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ok I'm done with the eyebrows...

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    :lol: Brilliant, igazor, as usual
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Got it.
    This week's puzzle comes from puzzlez addict of member station KQED the TS3 forums. I want you to take one of the names that has already been guessed in this thread, add one letter to the beginning of it, rearrange the letters, and you'll come up with the name of a common me. So again: Take one of the incorrect guesses, add one letter to the beginning, rearrange the letters, and you'll have my name.

There is only one common female name I know of that you can get to by adding one letter to the beginning of "it."

Your name must therefore be Wanda...no, wait that flowed out of my keyboard out of habit.
    Your name must be Kit.

That's impressive, and so clever that I'm jealous I didn't think of it myself. But no, sorry, my name isn't Kit, or Tia, or anything else that incorporates the word "it." I really did mean that my name is the result of adding one letter to the beginning of an already guessed name and then rearranging the letters.

Anyway, if people aren't interested anymore, that's perfectly fine with me. Not everyone likes puzzles as much as I do, and I accepted a long time ago that I'm just especially weird.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    The problem as you have said is that we really haven't fully caught on to the deception yet. I for one am not scrambling any more names until/unless we find out what this means, the Kit thing was the only other way I could think of to go. That and my great grandmother's name (one of the two I never met, unfortunately) was Kitty. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    I guess I've been reluctant to clarify because the only thing I can think of adding would be as obvious as saying which name to start with. And what's the fun in that? (Okay, it would probably only be less fun for me, but whatever.) So I'm tempted to offer only the tiniest incremental hints, which can be extremely annoying for anyone casually following along. Which leaves... hmmm...

Okay, how about this: igazor has almost figured out the entire deception, but has left in one little incorrect assumption (and included it in his comments), the removal of which would make coming up with names much easier than it has been so far.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @igazor we have something in common. My GGrandmother was also Kitty.

As for the puzzle. The thing that's confusing me is if the letter that goes onto the front of a name before rearranging the letters. Does that new first letter get rearranged too or does it remain as the first egger of the name? If it doesn't have to remain the first letter then why do we have to specifically add it to the front of the name before rearranging the letters. Just me being pedantic.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I wouldn't say it's a lack of interest... I'm just stumped, lol.

I thought for sure someone got it when they guessed Raven since that seemed to fit the given clues best. IDK, maybe Kerri?
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Claire - add r to Alice and rearrange!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    None of these, although @ciane is clearly good with anagrams. I guess I should clarify, for those who didn't read the exchange on the previous page, that igazor figured out that the name to be rearranged was one of the guesses for him, not me, even though I listed all the guesses for my name so far. (That was half the deception.) But there's another part, because I couldn't resist being difficult; that trick is what I was referencing in my comment above.

Maybe I should give a hint? I'm not great at coming up with good ones, though.

Edit: On advice of counsel advanced tech support someone who's always incredibly helpful, I'll add that @Karritz is not being pedantic but has picked up on the same thing that @igazor was working on earlier.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited August 2018
    Charis or Pati also work.

And Alexa.

Did you notice Cameron is an anagram of romance?
  • Options
    Wow, @ciane, you really are good at this. (No, I've never noticed that Cameron is an anagram of anything.)

Those names aren't correct, though you clearly have the right idea.
  • Options
    A good guess with Claire, @ciane. I’d tried Alexa too, and other similar names where I just added an extra letter to a wrong guess and moved only that one letter, like A + Paul became Paula. I tried other variations, like with Kerri (R + Erik; rearranging all letters) and Janet (J + Nate; rearranging only letters from the incorrectly guessed name while keeping the J as the beginning letter), but no hits yet... anagrams are definitely harder when there’s an unknown letter involved, and I’m tripping up on the puzzle/clues yet.

Speaking of which, @puzzlezaddict, I found myself looking at the bolded bit again:
    This week's puzzle comes from puzzlez addict of member station KQED the TS3 forums. I want you to take one of the names that has already been guessed in this thread, add one letter to the beginning of it, rearrange the letters, and you'll come up with the name of a common me. So again: Take one of the incorrect guesses, add one letter to the beginning, rearrange the letters, and you'll have my name.
    Was there some special significance to leaving this strikethrough as part of the clue rather than just deleting it outright? Because when someone had guessed the name Raven, not only did it seem to fit the anagram clue (R + Evan with R kept in the beginning) but it is also the name of a common... bird. Is this another coincidence like the “add one letter to the beginning of it,” a sneaky clue, or a red herring?

I’m probably overthinking and making this harder than it is—I feel like it’s staring me in the face and I’m likely to kick myself once this is figured out! Are you sure your name isn’t Rumplestiltskin?

giphy.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

I was considering guessing Tomi, either by adding an I to Tom or an O to Tim, but you said it’s not anything that incorporates the word “it.”

How about Erica? (A + Eric, just “rearranging” the A; also the name of a common flower/plant)

Shana? (A + Hans, rearranging all letters)

Haven? Or Halie? (H + Evan or H + Leia, with the H’s kept in the beginning position and all other letters rearranged)

Or shall I just throw myself off Monty Python's Bridge of Death again? :lol:
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Try this, people.
    Come on, this is easy. Eto Demerzel/Chetter Hummin/R. Daneel Olivaw.

Obviously, her name is Ezmerelda Toe.
  • Options
    And we have a winner. @starguru My mom used to have a bunch of Erica plants in her garden because she thought it would get me interested in gardening. (which... not so much) But with the clue, I was just doing my best impression of a Will Shortz puzzlemaster clue, and I crossed out the part that didn't apply (like in the intro, he'll often credit the creator by NPR radio affiliate, hence the first strikethrough).

[Also, for anyone wondering, the second part of the deception was that I specifically said you had to add the extra letter to the beginning of the name and then scramble because if you'd added the letter to the end of Eric, you wouldn't have needed to rearrange anything, and it would have been to obvious to say "add one letter, and then maybe scramble, or maybe not.]

Anyway, good job, and thanks for finally ending this mess.

And thanks to @igazor as well, for being a good sport and not ruining it for everyone after he figured it out Friday night yesterday morning. A case of 5 life fruit/5 cranerlet nuala nectar for each of you.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Nice to meet you Erica! Nice name.
  • Options
    Try this, people.
    Come on, this is easy. Eto Demerzel/Chetter Hummin/R. Daneel Olivaw.

Obviously, her name is Ezmerelda Toe.
    Funny that you mentioned that quote; the bolded was where my guess of Daniele originated from, lol.
    And we have a winner. @starguru My mom used to have a bunch of Erica plants in her garden because she thought it would get me interested in gardening. (which... not so much) But with the clue, I was just doing my best impression of a Will Shortz puzzlemaster clue, and I crossed out the part that didn't apply (like in the intro, he'll often credit the creator by NPR radio affiliate, hence the first strikethrough).

[Also, for anyone wondering, the second part of the deception was that I specifically said you had to add the extra letter to the beginning of the name and then scramble because if you'd added the letter to the end of Eric, you wouldn't have needed to rearrange anything, and it would have been to obvious to say "add one letter, and then maybe scramble, or maybe not.]

Anyway, good job, and thanks for finally ending this mess.

And thanks to @igazor as well, for being a good sport and not ruining it for everyone after he figured it out Friday night yesterday morning. A case of 5 life fruit/5 cranerlet nuala nectar for each of you.
    So even though I managed the correct answer, the wording of “the name of a common ____” was not an intentional clue? Figures. :lol:

I did have a few more possibilities beyond this readied in case my last guesses were wrong, but not many. Erica was on my short list, but I chanced going with Alexa and Paula first instead. And I truly thought it must be something more complex, requiring rearrangement of all letters or keeping the one letter in front, which is why I varied my responses to try covering all possible interpretations of the rules. Well played, Erica!

Also, thank you for the high value nectar. xD Not only is it an amazing vintage, but I’d much rather have that than have to throw myself off the bridge of death again. :lol: