Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    I like something about all of them. I'm a Simmer and like to see what new things they can up with. One thing I know for sure is I would never throw out any of my Sims games. Not even The Sims Medieval. That is the only thing I know. I will keep a system (if I'm alive) that can play all my older games. All the way back to TS1 if there is ever a TS5. I play TS2 more than all of them, however, I probably wouldn't even throw out TS4 but don't have it installed anymore. And though I rarely play TS3 anymore, I won't be throwing it out, either. I won't just buy anything, I have my limits, I didn't for TS2, either. Bugs and issues stop me from spending more money on a series. But I do wind up buying some extras and EPs etc. for all of them. So, I'm probably odd man/woman out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @JoAnne65 there is no argument over preferences. It would be a pretty boring planet if we all thought and liked the same things. Little better than being Borg :) Apart from the major features of TS3 which we all value such as open worlds there are other things which hold us to this game. I should imagine there are some simmers who are very disappointed not to have horses in TS4 and I won't be going anywhere until I get a CAW which is better than the one we have now.

You are right in saying a lot depends on what the developers think we want rather than it being a quality issue. From a players' side a lot depends on perception and people are incredibly loyal to the version(s) they play. There probably is a discussion around production values but I lack the IT skills to make comment on it. At the end of the day the onus is on developers and producer to understand what their customers want. Our job, as intelligent customers is to make sure we let the company know what we want. Somewhere in that is the need to understand the company simply can't satisfy all of us and there may need to be compromise. At that point it is down to what our deal breakers are as to whether or not we buy into a new version.

As for rotational players I understand there is a mod to take care of it for TS3. Although I don't use them myself, I know they have been helping to improve the quality of the game for a long time. The tragedy is TS4 is not suitable for modding to provide CASt etc. If there was a way I suspect many would have moved on from TS3 a long time ago.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I like something about all of them. I'm a Simmer and like to see what new things they can up with. One thing I know for sure is I would never throw out any of my Sims games. Not even The Sims Medieval. That is the only thing I know. I will keep a system (if I'm alive) that can play all my older games. All the way back to TS1 if there is ever a TS5. I play TS2 more than all of them, however, I probably wouldn't even throw out TS4 but don't have it installed anymore. And though I rarely play TS3 anymore, I won't be throwing it out, either. I won't just buy anything, I have my limits, I didn't for TS2, either. Bugs and issues stop me from spending more money on a series. But I do wind up buying some extras and EPs etc. for all of them. So, I'm probably odd man/woman out.

Probably very sensible to keep all your disks. As the series has grown we, as players, have become a lot more educated about what we like and what we don't. Perhaps to the stage where every purchase is carefully considered. I would like to think we follow the advice of TotalBiscuit and never pre-order a game without seeing at least a beta copy. This is why I suspect so many of us are sticking with our preferred version of the game, waiting to see what is offered next before we commit to investing.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Then there's me...who started out on Origin with only getting a CD starter pack which came with Late Night and High End Loft Stuff.

I also have a pre-2012 disc if I can find it in the clutter that we have started packing away for the move. I have IP, ITF, UL, and Seasons on disc, which means I'll have to track down 7 of the 11 EPs on CD (I'm going to have to get Late Night again); all the Stuff Packs and all the Worlds. Everything that I have other than the four EPs that I stated are on Origin download.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer difficult to advise you what to do because nobody likes having to repurchase their game. There are some very dedicated simmers who have because they got caught out by the release of version 1.69. I only added WA to my disk collection last year and I was incredibly lucky to find a never used copy but as time goes on it is going to get harder to find copies. I did read in another thread that EA continues to make a limited number of disks each year but this was disputed later in the same thread, the disks being offered for sale are remaindered copies.

Those who rely on digital download are probably alright for the immediate future. I am convinced that while TS3 continues to be profitable EA will support it digitally. However if we want to carry on playing TS3 rather than moving on then we all need to think how best to future proof the game. One of my biggest fears is losing the CD/DVD drive from my computer. This is no longer a standard feature on some models of gaming computer and there is no guarantee external drives with USB access will continue to be around if there is no demand for them. So I have been looking at a digital download from Steam.

The good news for all of us is the excellent tech section here and on other reputable sim sites. We are a really loyal community where this game is concerned so someone will find a way of keeping us playing and share it with the community. Hopefully it will never reach that stage but it is always better to be prepared (once a planner, always a planner!!).

I hope you find your pre 2012 disk and then, at least, you will have the choice of going for a full CD collection. I read earlier today in the @thevogel post that TS4 has been extended for another 3 years. If this is the case I reckon you have as long to find the disks you need.

Good luck with the move :) For my last two moves my disks along with my laptop have travelled with me in the back of the car :) I really do prefer gaming this way that the loss of the disks would be devastating.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    @Bettyboop55, The lack of optical drives from the latest offerings of computers makes me a bit annoyed too. Because it seems as if "downloads" are being forced down our collective throats. I'm at an age now where I like "things to stay the same" and get cranky if they change too rapidly. Must be a sign of my generation at this point. I'm not as flexible in terms of Change as I used to be when I was younger. My parents were born during the nineteen thirties so I was around during the 70s and the advent of the personal computing age. So basically, I'm sitting on the cusp of the border between pre-PC generation and the PC generation where we weren't so familiar with technology as our descendants. In fact, I was happy with 5 1/4" disks and reel-to-reel but the needs of storage became restricted in those mediums so we're now onto optical discs after experimenting with 3.5" floppies and now we have flash memory (SSDs) It boggles the mind. But it seems as though the game companies are going to drag us kicking and screaming in to the "download" age. And I, for one, refuse to go quietly. I want my games on a "purely physical medium"; that is substantial and tactile - a physical object that I know will not leave my possession.

I look at the younger generation (those who are in their early thirties, twenties, teens and even single-digit-age children) and see how fast they pick up computer stuff...and I'm sitting here going "How...What...Where..."? In the years before 70s if you weren't in the computing field, you didn't use computers very often; and it wasn't a thing to go home and use a home computer. There just weren't any around. Any computers you found were in the realm of business; statistics and those who were programming and these things weren't "portable" by any stretch of the imagination. In fact @Featherbelle (my wife) who is only six years younger than me, is more computer literate than I am. When she has to do something in terms of finding computer problems and fixing them...she's quicker to get it done...while I'm sitting here going "What... HELP!"

And what's scary is that it's just going to grow from here...in leaps and bounds. The AI of computers is starting to grow and it's a guess as to where we'll be twenty years from now (if I'm still around).

If I find my pre-2012 disc, I'll go after the rest of the CDs on Amazon.ca and at least if I choose to go back to 1.67; the option will be there to still play all my game rather than just a portion of it.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer :) all I know of computers can be written on the back of a postage stamp. It may be generational but there is hope. A rumour has reached my ears that vinyl is making a comeback. Apparently the young think it is the next best thing to sliced bread. So I think of my record collection in the loft and smile :) hubby said the punk records would be worth a small fortune one day and now they are. I also have rare classical recordings. The point is what goes around, comes around. Digital technology only works if there is an infra structure to support it and fashions change. Those of us still with our disks may have the last laugh yet. Assuming of course we aren't computing via a chip set in the brain. Better get that external drive as well then :)

This thread has indicated we do consider future IT as a possible for stopping us playing TS3, this is why it would be sensible to have a baking up plan which includes saving store content. Simple precautionswhich might stop us from being left with no option but to play another game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Ah...you love classical music too? :) A audiophile after my own tastes. :D If I win the lottery, I'm getting an audiophile sound-system and raiding my local classical record store, for some baroque recordings. :D@Featherbelle is into heavy metal and rock. She says I'm a "music snob". :D I used to be in a choir before I got married; and before throat nodules (that ended my singing). My choir sang Haydn's Theresienemesse (Haydn's Mass in B minor, (H. XXII/12)) in concert.

So yes, I do have diverse tastes; photography; classical music. :) computer gaming. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer just as long as it wasn't the Mozart Mass. The solo soprano part in that sounds like the singer has chronic indigestion. Personally I like Beethoven's Missa Brevis. And don't get me started on Bach. I absolutely adore his Christmas Oratorio. It isn't just Classical though, hubs and I describe ourselves as eclectic when it comes to music.

Anyway in relation to TS3 I always thought the singing career which came with Showtime should have included a more classical career option. You get options with the composer career after all. If we look at a theoretical upgrade based on a rewrite then I would like to see the option added to the singing career.

One of the other things I have yet to do is load custom music into my game. It involves playing around with music files on the computer and without the necessary IT skills I can't see me ever being able to manage it.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer I'm in the same boat as you with my first intro to a computer coming when I was in my mid 20's.

But what I wanted to say is, I'm not entirely clear on what you mean about having to buy the worlds. If you already have bought them from Origin you don't need to buy them again on disk. They are store items and they will be in your purchase history and you just install them with the launcher.

When installing the Sims 3 (from the old disk) don't agree to install the (I think it's the EA Downloads Manager) but you'll know what I mean when you hit the popup asking if you want to install it. If you do then you'll end up with Origin on the computer as it was Origin's predecessor. Unless of course you do want Origin on the computer. Just thought I'd mention it.

• Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    It’s been interesting to read the responses here about what it would take to encourage TS3 players to move on to another Sims game. For myself, I don’t think there is anything that would stop me from playing TS3. There is still so much I want to build and play in this game; so many variables and scenarios I want to try. New content in the form of mods and CC are still being created, and these add a bit of novelty to the experience for me too.

While I still enjoy TS2 on occasion and like returning to it from time to time, TS3 is my overall favorite in the series. The combination of CASt, open worlds and terrain tools are a huge part of that. My game is an all-disk install with a pre-2012 base game; on patch 1.67, bypassed launcher and tuned exactly as I want it. I own all EPs, SP’s and store content and truly have no inducements at present to move on. I do regret that there was never a 64 bit option for TS3, but even if one were offered in the future, a TS3 Origin requirement would not be acceptable to me, so I’d pass on it anyway.

I had no plans to buy TS4 after doing the free trial. Among other things, it didn’t offer the creativity and customization I had come to enjoy most. But in 2016, I unexpectedly needed to temporarily live hundreds of miles from home for several months when my husband was catastrophically injured, and traveling with only my laptop meant I had no access to my desktop installations of TS2 and TS3. So given that I really needed some form of therapeutic mental escape during this time, I bought TS4 (on sale, along with one GP and one SP), rationalizing that TS4 was better than nothing. And it was... until we were able to return home and I had access to the older games again. I’ve only attempted to play TS4 twice since, and end up closing it in a short amount of time. I don’t regret the purchase as it served its purpose and I paid what I considered to be a fair price for the hours I did play it. But it just doesn’t engage me in the same way, and while I do like some of the features, all I can think about when I launch it is how much more I’d rather be playing TS3/2. So that’s what I do. TS4 is just not for me.

Any future Sims game, should the possibility come to pass, would require a lot for me to be willing to invest in it. Given the major changes in my life and having much less time to play as it is, I’d rather spend it playing something I already know I’ll enjoy. A future game would have to have the features I mentioned that are in TS3, but with the addition of some of the features from TS2 and TS4, and new ideas too. Because honestly, the idea of purchasing a limited BG followed by the same DLC all over again is hardly appealing. In that case, I wouldn't be “missing” anything, and may as well stick with what I have. So that is what I intend to do, and I'm okay with it.
  • Options
    @starguru what a lovely post :) I think you have summed up beautifully how many of us feel about our TS 3 and why we will not be moving on any time soon. There is always room for improvement though. I was building this week and sitting there thinking "if only we had roof trims like there are in TS4". Then I looked at all the recolouring and retexturing I had done and thought "no contest" :D

I am sorry to hear about your husband. Hopefully things have improved for you both and that you continue to find time for your TS3.

Regards

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    @starguru Off topic, I really hope all went well for your husband, that must have been a stressfull time. And on topic, I agree with about everything you say.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer difficult to advise you what to do because nobody likes having to repurchase their game. There are some very dedicated simmers who have because they got caught out by the release of version 1.69. I only added WA to my disk collection last year and I was incredibly lucky to find a never used copy but as time goes on it is going to get harder to find copies. I did read in another thread that EA continues to make a limited number of disks each year but this was disputed later in the same thread, the disks being offered for sale are remaindered copies.

I originally bought most of Sims 3 by download. I never got caught with accidentally updating to 1.69, because I read about it here and made sure it would never happen. But I still bought everything on disc that I had originally bought by download, including a 2009 version of the base game from an Amazon merchant, in case the time ever comes I have to reinstall the game. I may never use those discs, but I have them just in case. It cost me about $250 or so to buy them all, but I have no regrets.

• Options
    @IreneSwift as I said there are some very dedicated simmers :) Nobody ever said simming was a cheap hobby not if you want a decent computer and all the content you can lay your hands on. As you say though most of us would do it willingly just to keep our game going.

I was warned by a friend in time so I did not update to version 1.69. Being a bit of luddite disks seemed the natural way to install and play my game but I am considering repurchasing on Steam. We live on a flood plain. While hubby might allow me my EHD with my saved games and CAW work on I doubt he will allow me to carry away my disks and laptop in an emergency. When we had the cats they would have been the top priority anyway. The last time it flooded 30 miles to the west of us people were so distressed at being made to leave their animals by some of the emergency services that we determined it would never happen to our family. Fortunately there were also some very brave emergency services and others who were able to help recover some of the animals in time.

Anyway I digress. I think for now most of us are reasonably safe with our existing IT whether we use digital downloads or disks. Obviously the situation could change over time, there may be an upgrade or UC released, nobody knows. Whatever happens with releases I just hope EA appreciate there are some of us who prefer our games installed via a disk. Doubtful but you never know :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @IreneSwift as I said there are some very dedicated simmers :) Nobody ever said simming was a cheap hobby not if you want a decent computer and all the content you can lay your hands on. As you say though most of us would do it willingly just to keep our game going.

I was warned by a friend in time so I did not update to version 1.69. Being a bit of luddite disks seemed the natural way to install and play my game but I am considering repurchasing on Steam. We live on a flood plain. While hubby might allow me my EHD with my saved games and CAW work on I doubt he will allow me to carry away my disks and laptop in an emergency. When we had the cats they would have been the top priority anyway. The last time it flooded 30 miles to the west of us people were so distressed at being made to leave their animals by some of the emergency services that we determined it would never happen to our family. Fortunately there were also some very brave emergency services and others who were able to help recover some of the animals in time.

Anyway I digress. I think for now most of us are reasonably safe with our existing IT whether we use digital downloads or disks. Obviously the situation could change over time, there may be an upgrade or UC released, nobody knows. Whatever happens with releases I just hope EA appreciate there are some of us who prefer our games installed via a disk. Doubtful but you never know :D

@Bettyboop55 I highly suggest making sure that you get a Pelican case for your laptop (They're supposed to be watertight) and another for your disks. Evidently they float...and they usually make them for firearms as well as cameras and other items of value that you don't want damaged by water. :) Essential when you're living on a floodplain. I know they're expensive, but well worth it for the peace of mind.

The neat thing about them is that they come with a foam core interior that is made up into little removable squares so that you can custom tailor your case to fit whatever it is that you have so that they don't move around inside the case (you can remove enough squares to fit your laptop and your discs inside cases)...and then they will be secure from any damage.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer thanks for the tip. I did a quick check of the internet and the cases are available in the UK. Looks like I might be getting one for my birthday :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    Count me in for an updated Sims 3. Nothing else could come close.
  • Options
    OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    edited July 2018
    I really liked the sims 3. The way the sims interacted felt so genuine. I only stopped playing because I currently cannot play it on my computer. I like the Sims 4 as well, but I wish I could also play the Sims 3. Basically, I "moved on" out of convenience, but I would like to play again.

Edit:spelling
  • Options
    MadIris wrote: »

Spot on :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Otoyo wrote: »
    I really liked the sims 3. The way the sims interacted felt so genuine. I only stopped playing because I currently cannot play it on my computer. I like the Sims 4 as well, but I wish I could also play the Sims 3. Basically, I "moved on" out of convenience, but I would like to play again.

Edit:spelling

Sorry to hear you are unable to play TS3. I would see it more as an enforced absence rather than moving on. Under those circumstances it is good to have another sims game to play. Perhaps when you get your computer sorted you will be able to return to TS3 but still enjoy your TS4. Quite a few players do this and seem to have the best of both worlds :D

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    Well I stopped playing it when everyone in my household was stretching and glitching out, sims 3 is such a glitchy game and I've encounter so many bugs. If sims 5 comes out I will wait like 9 months and watch other people play it to decide if I want it myself.
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    @Joey_XuX - Should you ever wish to revisit TS3, there are players available to help with tech and in-game issues like that provided you have a computer system strong enough to run what you are throwing at it. We tend to hang out in places like the TS3 Tech Discussions board here, NRaas, MTS, the Steam forum if relevant, etc.

Yes, the game can be glitchy and over-extend itself but many of us find it very satisfying to play once we work out ways to get around the more obvious bugs and somewhat broken things about it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Thank you, @Bettyboop55 . I think somewhere along the line I decided to avoid having any expectations of a new Sims game that I will love as much as the previous versions. If a new and amazing Sims title were to be developed in years to come, then I will be pleasantly surprised and gratified. If not, I know I’ll always have the older games and won’t feel disappointed, having "lost" nothing.

I agree about there always being room for improvement. At times, I find myself wishing that TS3 had height-adjustable windows, a build/buy search feature, a more user-friendly CAW/neighborhood tool, etc. But then I look at my builds—with all their use of CASt, the color wheel, CFE, pond tools—and feel anything requiring the sacrifice of these isn’t worth it. Like you said; no contest. I may not have gotten everything I would’ve wanted in TS3, but I feel fortunate to have many things I value highly. I can be content with that, and will continue to use CC, mods and other workarounds to improve my experience.

And thanks once again for your well wishes. Although my husband is permanently disabled due to his spinal cord injury (incomplete tetraplegia), he had the best possible rehabilitative care and worked hard to recover as much motor function as he could. He has improved significantly, and despite wishing he could have recovered more than he has, we are very grateful for the abilities he has regained. And I am able to find time for Sims on occasion, which helps me cope with the more difficult periods.

And thank you as well, @JoAnne65. It was extremely stressful, and still is at times. But his health is more stable now than it was when he was initially paralyzed, and in time we’ve learned to manage all the things. And I agree with a great deal of what you’ve posted regarding TS3 also. It's still an awesome game.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I think that we could all settle for an 'updated' TS3 for now but I do still want to see something new again one day. I miss trying things out for the first time. I want to see a new approach to world building as well as I want to rebuild everything but not as they are in TS3. I have been doing more research on houses lately and there is a lot of things that I need to do properly lol

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg