Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    I guess if there was a Sims 5, that was just the right amount of things from TS1&2, TS3 and TS4, maybe I'd hop on that instead. Maybe the simplicity of building and runnning community lots like in Sims2 and Sims1 (runs automatic if you set it up to do that, or runs like you're the manager), with the expanded worlds like in Sims3, (big open world, beautiful realistic nature, CAW and modding it to your wishes), with perhaps the building/decorating options that are mixed with TS3 and TS4.

I wish there was more, uh, intuity in the game. For example, remember in TS1 if you built a restaurant and placed a piano, there would be a NPC that would play the piano. In the other games, some idiot sim always runs over to the instruments and starts hammering away. Also just the fact they never managed to make a fully automatic restaurant in TS3 like in TS1 and TS2 is just..idk. I miss just going to a restaurant, being greeted by the maitre d' and placed at a seat, etc. (remember all the flirting you could do!), ordering food and having a great time.

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @SummerSong86 it sounds like you might alternate between he two games for a while.

@Sigzy05 a lot of simmers here would agree with you, that the sizeable content to explore and the flexibility made possible by the creative tools means there is no incentive to move on. Just curious to know if you might be inter ested if the company ever offers an upgrade to 64 bit because there are some simmers here who want to see new, more challenging elements to the game.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    @shakeninsane some really good ideas for a future version of the sims :) Which version of the game are you playing at the moment because your avatar is from TS2. A lot of us remember TS2 with great affection. It had some great gameplay interactions but not enough to stop people from moving on to TS3 with it's open worlds etc. Perhaps if there was ever an upgrade to 64 bit then some of the interactions from TS2 could be imported along with a better restaurant system and a proper "Open for Business".

I do agree we need a better CAW, having spent the entire weekend trying to level terrain so all my sea front lots are flat and failing to get it right. Third attempt nearly had the laptop hurled out the window. Anyway I digress. Would you be interested if a potential upgrade offered some new challenges as well as enhanced creative tools? The game is nearly 10 years old after all.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @SummerSong86 it sounds like you might alternate between he two games for a while.

@Sigzy05 a lot of simmers here would agree with you, that the sizeable content to explore and the flexibility made possible by the creative tools means there is no incentive to move on. Just curious to know if you might be inter ested if the company ever offers an upgrade to 64 bit because there are some simmers here who want to see new, more challenging elements to the game.

A Sims 3 in 64 bit? Honestly who wouldn't be interested, it would probably make the game run a lot smoother for a lot of people since it would access more than 4GB of memory.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    @Sigzy05 it would be an exciting prospect and people have been coming forward with wishlists. I am still mulling over the things I would most want but having a game which zipped along would be one of them. I did load my game onto the SSD when I got my new computer and it certainly improved matters. Unfortunately the OS hogs over half the SSD so I rapidly ran out of space. Lesson for next time : get a larger SSD :)

Sim enim est vita
  • SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Oh goodness, @puzzlezaddict I had no idea! Thank you for the warning about the frame rates. And thank you for the tip on the NRaas mods. I did used to use some of them years ago. So far I am playing the game without any cc or mods. I will probably stay without CC for a few more months but I am open to the mods, especially if there's no longer a need to worry about patches breaking them. At least I hope that's the case now. I can't imagine EA is still devoting any resources to squashing old bugs after all these years.

@Sigzy05 that was the impression I got of the TS4 game, as well. I was surprised I could not gracefully turn furniture around by dragging on it. I had to right click. It's all just different and awkward enough to make gameplay tedious. I hate the color picker, such as it is, and I am not exactly thrilled with the harsh artificial looking eye colors, either. In TS3 we can use the color wheel to add a bit of subtlety. It's also a bit of a soul sucking experience to behold a static basic map world, too. TS3 spoiled me. All that being said, I can see a purpose for TS4. I could see myself being in the mood to play it from time to time. I probably am not going to invest in any more EPs for the rest of this year, though. Eh, I've seen enough and I've read enough to know the other EPs introduce issues that would really get on my last nerve until they are patched.
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    @Bettyboop55 - I'm playing Sims3, haha. But I still have Sims 2 installed and occasionally go into it just to check up on the them, lol
  • SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    @SummerSong86 If you're interested, there's an NRaas mod called Relativity that allows you to adjust how much time it takes to perform tasks. You can adjust the settings to whatever pace suits your gameplay style. All NRaas mods are easy to install and fairly straightforward to use.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity

Just a side note: I'm not sure whether you've addressed this already, but on a newer gaming desktop, you'll really need to cap your in-game frame rates. If you want to see your frames-per-second, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without the quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner, and it should never go above 60. Extremely high rates will make your graphics card work much harder than it should and can even burn out the card. Since TS3 has no native fps limiter, you'll need to do it manually; what tool you use depends on the card's manufacturer.
    Before I get some Sims time in with my morning coffee I wanted to drop by and thank everyone for the warm welcome back and all of the helpful tips and advice.

@puzzlezaddict thank you so much for that post I've quoted. My fps were well above the mid 300's and my daughter and I both noticed increasingly jerky motion. My husband helped me install the fps limiter I found and it's doing its job and things are much improved. Over the next few days I'll be researching the mods I want to install. Back in the day I had so many of them! I am surprised that so far my daughter and I have enjoyed the game well enough without any mods but she is starting to accumulate a list of annoyances I hope to address.

I think we both are pretty committed to sticking with Sims3. My daughter has seen enough of Sims4 and has no interest at all. I will continue to poke around in it when the mood strikes to be curious. But overall there is just too much I want to do in Sims 3. I never did explore ALL of the tombs. I also dearly miss farming.

Have a wonderful day, everyone. Or evening, as the case may be in your time zone.

Again, thank you all for helping me get acclimated again to Sims 3 and for the warm welcome back to this community.
    @SummerSong86 happy simming :)

Sim enim est vita
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I don't think I'd ever actually quit playing. I may move on to the next game but I'll probably always end up coming back like I do with all games I love. But for me to move on The Sims 5 would have to be more on point in my eyes.

It would need to have more options and creative control in the hands of players for the most part. TS3 is the Sims game where I feel I have the most control which is why it's my favorite in the franchise so far but even it lacks some of the control I wanted. If there's a TS5 it probably will be lacking to me too, but luckily I'm not expecting everything I want and hope for in the game. So long as there are more options and control than what was previously offered in 1-4 I'll be ok.

Open world would have to be in as well. Loading screens just break immersion and hopefully with a Pets EP there will be horses again and I don't want my sim riding a horse with constant loading screens. That being said, no holding back on the classics like Pets, Seasons, and Uni. There's still things I would love to see for each of them that they haven't done yet.

There's also need to be something for everyone. When I say that I mean that each basic type of play style needs attention. I think all types of players are bound to feel like they don't have enough stuff but it shouldn't be so lacking where one group of players feels abandoned and left in the cold.

Oh, and they need to do better with bugs, lag, and glitches. I'm not saying every single issue should be caught before it's released to the public but they have a history of not fixing things. When they announce a new release I automatically expect problems at this point and usually their fixes lead to more problems. Then by the end there's stuff that still hasn't been fixed since the base game or first pack and we have to rely on people who didn't even make the game for fixes.

If they take their time and make a game with those elements included then I could get behind that easily, but I'd probably still be playing Sims 3 too.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SillyCharlieSillyCharlie Posts: 37 Member
    If there is a Sims 5 that is a good mix of all previous games with new and exciting features I might stop, or at least play it less often than I do now.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I guess if there was a Sims 5, that was just the right amount of things from TS1&2, TS3 and TS4, maybe I'd hop on that instead. Maybe the simplicity of building and runnning community lots like in Sims2 and Sims1 (runs automatic if you set it up to do that, or runs like you're the manager), with the expanded worlds like in Sims3, (big open world, beautiful realistic nature, CAW and modding it to your wishes), with perhaps the building/decorating options that are mixed with TS3 and TS4.

I wish there was more, uh, intuity in the game. For example, remember in TS1 if you built a restaurant and placed a piano, there would be a NPC that would play the piano. In the other games, some plum sim always runs over to the instruments and starts hammering away. Also just the fact they never managed to make a fully automatic restaurant in TS3 like in TS1 and TS2 is just..idk. I miss just going to a restaurant, being greeted by the maitre d' and placed at a seat, etc. (remember all the flirting you could do!), ordering food and having a great time.
    NPC’s do play the piano in nightclubs (Sims 3). Also, I’ve always been a bit startled by the self-evident tone people complain about Sims 3 not having restaurants the way they were in Sims 2. Why would there? Because 2 had them? I played Sims 3 first and then, after a couple of years, Sims 2 and when I visited the Twikii Island ruins I was seriously looking for an entrance to go down. There was none. Because Sims 2 turned out not to have tombs the way I was used to. The fact one game doesn’t have the exact same features as the other doesn’t mean they never ‘managed’ it. They just didn’t. Must add I never missed it either and after going to a restaurant once in Sims 2 I’d seen it; the tombs have offered me much more playing fun, years of it to this very day. I can imagine it’s like that for others with restaurants, but again, it’s not a matter of them not ‘managing’ to add it. Sims 3 is not meant to be a copy of Sims 2, that’s all.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @ApparentlyAwesome there are a lot of players interested in more creative freedom (well me :) ). We have been discussing a theoretical upgrade to TS3 by rewriting code and upgrading to 64 bit. People have been putting forward their ideas for such an upgrade and perhaps it might be possible to include some of the creative changes you want. Of course it remains a theoretical upgrade because as far as we know the company currently does not have plans to upgrade or release an Ultimate Collection for the game. Still it is always useful to have a list of wants ready just in case :)

I get what you mean about loading screens. At least in TS3 we can take transport all over the open world, including horses, without having to worry about them and lose the thread of your gameplay.

Bugs and glitches could be addressed in a theoretical upgrade, although the rewriting of code could possibly lead to new ones appearing :/ I know little about the technical side but I guess a lot could be eliminated by rigorous testing before release.

Sim enim est vita
    If there is a Sims 5 that is a good mix of all previous games with new and exciting features I might stop, or at least play it less often than I do now.

I think a lot of us will play the wait and see game if there is ever a new iteration of the game released. With each new version we have become a more discerning customer base with very clear ideas of what we want our sims game to provide. At least we have TS3 for now and many of us have already said there is still plenty of content to explore fully.

Sim enim est vita
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I wish there was more, uh, intuity in the game. For example, remember in TS1 if you built a restaurant and placed a piano, there would be a NPC that would play the piano. In the other games, some plum sim always runs over to the instruments and starts hammering away. Also just the fact they never managed to make a fully automatic restaurant in TS3 like in TS1 and TS2 is just..idk. I miss just going to a restaurant, being greeted by the maitre d' and placed at a seat, etc. (remember all the flirting you could do!), ordering food and having a great time.
    NPC’s do play the piano in nightclubs (Sims 3). Also, I’ve always been a bit startled by the self-evident tone people complain about Sims 3 not having restaurants the way they were iInn Sims 2. Why would there? Because 2 had them? I played Sims 3 first and then, after a couple of years, Sims 2 and when I visited the Twikii Island ruins I was seriously looking for an entrance to go down. There was none. Because Sims 2 turned out not to have tombs the way I was used to. The fact one game doesn’t have the exact same features as the other doesn’t mean they never ‘managed’ it. They just didn’t. Must add I never missed it either and after going to a restaurant once in Sims 2 I’d seen it; the tombs have offered me much more playing fun, years of it to this very day. I can imagine it’s like that for others with restaurants, but again, it’s not a matter of them not ‘managing’ to add it. Sims 3 is not meant to be a copy of Sims 2, that’s all.

The problem is no company can please all of it's customers all of the time. I personally weigh what we lost with the launch of TS3 as to what we gained, open worlds, CASt, terrain tools etc For me that's fine but others were pretty upset. It is all a matter of preference and some people were very attached to the activities offered in TS2. Some players waited the whole life of TS3 for an "Open for Business" type EP and were not satisfied with the token attempt offered by Midnight Hollow.

It must have been a real disappointment not having tombs to explore in TS2. I'm sure Maxis would have provided them if the technology allowed it. One of the most striking things you can see with TS1 to 3 is how advances in technology have improved the gaming experience for the simmer. The move to 3D with the new camera in TS2 was revolutionary and allowed for a more immersive experience, just as open worlds in TS3 took that a stage further. So what started as a vacation EP in TS2 progressed into a vaction EP in TS3 with built in challenges.

Sim enim est vita
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

NPC’s do play the piano in nightclubs (Sims 3). Also, I’ve always been a bit startled by the self-evident tone people complain about Sims 3 not having restaurants the way they were iInn Sims 2. Why would there? Because 2 had them? I played Sims 3 first and then, after a couple of years, Sims 2 and when I visited the Twikii Island ruins I was seriously looking for an entrance to go down. There was none. Because Sims 2 turned out not to have tombs the way I was used to. The fact one game doesn’t have the exact same features as the other doesn’t mean they never ‘managed’ it. They just didn’t. Must add I never missed it either and after going to a restaurant once in Sims 2 I’d seen it; the tombs have offered me much more playing fun, years of it to this very day. I can imagine it’s like that for others with restaurants, but again, it’s not a matter of them not ‘managing’ to add it. Sims 3 is not meant to be a copy of Sims 2, that’s all.

The problem is no company can please all of it's customers all of the time. I personally weigh what we lost with the launch of TS3 as to what we gained, open worlds, CASt, terrain tools etc For me that's fine but others were pretty upset. It is all a matter of preference and some people were very attached to the activities offered in TS2. Some players waited the whole life of TS3 for an "Open for Business" type EP and were not satisfied with the token attempt offered by Midnight Hollow.

It must have been a real disappointment not having tombs to explore in TS2. I'm sure Maxis would have provided them if the technology allowed it. One of the most striking things you can see with TS1 to 3 is how advances in technology have improved the gaming experience for the simmer. The move to 3D with the new camera in TS2 was revolutionary and allowed for a more immersive experience, just as open worlds in TS3 took that a stage further. So what started as a vacation EP in TS2 progressed into a vaction EP in TS3 with built in challenges.
    Hm.. no, can't say it was a real disappointment, it was more like an 'oh, so that's a Sims 3 thing then'. And at that same vacation my sims went to a restaurant for the first time in a way I had indeed never experienced in Sims 3. My point rather is that I don't understand the "the fact they never managed to make a fully automatic restaurant in TS3 like in TS1 and TS2 is just..idk" phrasing (I don't mean this in an attacking or personal way, the reason I react is in fact because I see it expressed like that quite often, as if it's a factual flaw in Sims 3 while it's indeed like you say a matter of preference and also very much what people are used to, enjoyed and therefore apparently expect/demand back). The fact they never made a fully automatic restaurant in TS3 like in TS1 and TS2 is just something they didn't do because apparently they had other plans for Sims 3. They tried to cater the fans who asked for it but remember they never offered it in an EP. It was a Store feature. You simply can't compare EP features to what came through the Store.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 like you say it is probably down to the way people phrase their disappointment at the lack of "proper" restaurants or anything else which didn't make it from TS2 to 3. What gets me personally and still does though is the lack of awareness on the part of the company at the time as to what was most popular with the simming community. Obviously no company would discuss it's development and release plans with the players but there was a very vocal element on the forum about a lack of business EP. Consequently when Midnight Hollow was released it was seen as a damp squib because people assumed it was a last minute attempt to fit a business element into the game. In other words a poor attempt to respond belatedly to the forum requests. I doubt the fact it was part of the development plan would have crossed many minds. It certainly didn't mine but then I never really missed what I had never had in TS2.

Now I feel more hopeful that should the company ever get around to offering an upgrade to TS3 then the more vocal TS3 players are then the stronger the chances are we might get some of the improvements we want. That said I am not prepared to second guess this company anymore. I became disillusioned by the lack of toddlers in TS4 and gave up hoping. Look how that turned out. So I will be ready with my wish list just in case :)

I don't think your comments could be seen as being directed as a criticism of specific individuals. One of the loveliest things about the TS3 forum is we all respect one another and value what different opinions bring to a discussion.

Sim enim est vita
    @Bettyboop55 My opinion on this will probably be quite unpopular but I’d say: GOOD! If a company has a certain strategy in mind for a new game, stick to it and don’t start making the mistake to try and please a vocal part of the community that demands things the way they were used to. And yes, this is coming from someone who has been highly critical of Sims 4 since day 1 ;) I for instance have disliked the choice to get rid of open world, to focus on ‘multitasking’ and to turn emotions into gameplay. The reason I have always criticized that however has been because in my view the new choices don’t work, it spoils the game and the way it plays. Not because they decided to do something entirely different as such (and still, there are many players who love those new features and don’t care for the features I’m severly missing so tough luck for me, missing those things doesn’t make me right per se). I also always feel this Henry Ford quote coming up:

8oixIdR.jpg

Meaning: if you always listen to the customer you’ll never progress, because the customer often doesn’t know what they want, they only know what they know. We have to be able to rely on new visions and the chance we will embrace new developments. Companies have to dare, not just sit there and keep everything the way it was like chickens.

If they would have gone for ‘what was most popular with the simming community’ (what happened to “we all have different preferences” all of a sudden ;)?), I’d be looking at a game where sims have to maw their lawns and dig their weeds and vaccuum clean and do their laundry. Highly popular for many but I assure you if the game would have been like that, I’d never have become a simmer. I also don’t care, honestly don’t care about running businesses in the game, because for me it feels like a grind and leaving the sandbox idea too much. I even never started a resort because of this and my sims never bought any of the community lots to improve. I owned a bakery once but only because I had a genie who could fill the display. I blame players who wouldn’t stop about ‘add a shop add a shop add a shop already!’ more than I blame EA for the lousy business feature Midnight Hollow has (but what an amazing world in itself by the way!). And I’ve always wondered if the fact they have been forced by that vocal community to spend time on things like that, that they never expanded on the tomb idea. Maybe not, maybe the tombs were strictly planned for just WA, but I’d have loved more secret places, working the same way, in other worlds and in new expansions personally.

They took one of my favourites in Sims 3, WA, and made a Sims 4 version, JA. With a highly disappointing result. That pack as such doesn’t make Sims 4 disappointing though and I also don’t mind because I’ll always have WA. Like running businesses fans have their Sims 2 game and OFB.

I think I can come across a bit harsh and personal at times by the way because I have a tendency to jump on remarks that trigger me, maybe giving the impression I don’t allow people to have that opinion. But it’s indeed always what’s being said about the game what makes me respond, the content. Never the fact people have that opinion or that I don’t allow them to have it. I can be a bit direct sometimes I fear ;) It just strikes me at times how many simmers approach Sims 2 as the standard, the starting point, and everything that is Sims has to fit that mold. Being able to play rotational for instance, “Sims 3’s a failure because you can’t”. Following that principle Sims 2 would be a failure too because it won’t allow me to focus on one family with a developing society around it the way I can and love in Sims 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    (Without reading previous comments) I want to answer: "Yes, I will pass on if I can not handle the extra AWESOMENESS!!!"
    But seriously, lack of time in personal life and technical failures (with the computer / game) are the causes actually keeping away from playing... so if anything....
  • seasseas Posts: 37 Member
    I don't think so. From what I've seen of 4 I like this better so unless there is a version with the best of those 2 I'm sticking with 3
    (Without reading previous comments) I want to answer: "Yes, I will pass on if I can not handle the extra AWESOMENESS!!!"
    But seriously, lack of time in personal life and technical failures (with the computer / game) are the causes actually keeping away from playing... so if anything....

Can't do anything about lack of personal time other than sympathise but I do hope you get your computer problems sorted out. Then you can spend what limited time you do have simming :)

Sim enim est vita
    seas wrote: »
    I don't think so. From what I've seen of 4 I like this better so unless there is a version with the best of those 2 I'm sticking with 3

The game has a lot to offer. Many of us feel there is still a lot to explore even after 9 years. Under those circumstances moving on at this point doesn't have much appeal.

Sim enim est vita
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    If there is a sims 5 that is built to be as deep as the sims 2 but with an open world but not as big as the sims 3 worlds because that is not needed. Imagine old town from the sims 1 without loading screens ♡ I am still playing the sims 2 because it still is the best in the series. 4 did NOT live up to even its own promises, like smarter sims and so on....
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    If there is a sims 5 that is built to be as deep as the sims 2 but with an open world but not as big as the sims 3 worlds because that is not needed. Imagine old town from the sims 1 without loading screens ♡ I am still playing the sims 2 because it still is the best in the series. 4 did NOT live up to even its own promises, like smarter sims and so on....

The sIms series attracts some of the most dedicated players. The beauty of TS2 and 3 is the player choice. It is lovely therefore to see a regular TS2 player who is happy with their choice. Thank you for taking the time to consider the question of moving on. I think a lot of what you are asking for others here would agree with. The only point which might prove controversial is the size of the open world. There are players here who want bigger again ! The only thing I can suggest as a compromise is a system similar to Assassin's Creed which would eliminate the need for loading screens while still allowing TS3 players the large spaces to explore should they want to.

Sim enim est vita
  • seasseas Posts: 37 Member
    @Bettyboop55 I originally found the game ( as well as a Sims2 deluxe) at a Goodwill for $1.50 each. I later bought the Nightlife bundle after talking to my granddaughter and going over the differences. I'm glad I have 3 now...I'm still keeping my eyes out for any other games or expansion packs when I'm out thrifting!